Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

With the increasing jank that Star Citizen piles on, it seems that we've all come full circle. It's only fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J377tKsMF0I

Taxxe: https://i.imgur.com/ZKAkeq3.mp4

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

spoiler alert for chapter 4

Charitably, only one third of these stretch goals has been or currently is fulfilled.

I do like how he glosses over pets. "They have met every single stretch goal... I think. Let's see. Pets- well not pets. MISC Reliant is in. Genesis Starliner is in, in development. Prowler, they already made that."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

^^^ where's the cat huh huh

:siren: Remix! :siren:

Normal service has been restored with Tindeck and you may parp to mix #5

* lyrics if by some chance you totally ignored them the first time.
* It's a remix in the sense that I did it again slightly differently.
* By slightly, I mean not very muchly.
* Remember, its not paranoia if they're out to get you.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Bootcha posted:

Charitably, only one third of these stretch goals has been or currently is fulfilled.

I do like how he glosses over pets. "They have met every single stretch goal... I think. Let's see. Pets- well not pets. MISC Reliant is in. Genesis Starliner is in, in development. Prowler, they already made that."

I was going to say that too, literally the first one he looks at "pets, oh pets isn't in".

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

ewe2 posted:

Taxxe paid :catdrugs:

Now that's a catchy song!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

AlbieQuirky posted:

Those of us who remember Derek from his Usenet Warlord days were not surprised by any of this. Derek thinks he's Batman. "Écrasez l'infame" is his motto. Derek goes to 11.

Yeah, I started in the early '90s and never hung out in the same newsgroups he did (closest I got were some nearby ones in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* hierarchy), but even I knew that Derek Smart had Kibo-like grep-fu powers and would go literally anywhere to flame the absolute gently caress out of anyone who was trash-talking him, and that he would. never. stop.

In an era when you could have filled books with flamewars that lasted for months, Derek would've filled libraries. He wasn't the meanest, he wasn't the most convincing, he wasn't the funniest...but he was definitely the most relentless. People who started poo poo with him could go dark for months, then pop up in some obscure backwater alt. group and make one vaguely phrased reference to their opinions about him or Battlecruiser 3000AD, and OH poo poo HERE WE GO AGAIN. And here we are today, and lo and behold, the only thing that's changed is the calendar.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Yes Montoya, everything is done,

Except pretty much all of it.

Even the three ships he mentions as 'done', they are not really done are they? Since when has CR ever completely finalised and finished tinkering with a ship and declared that he'll never "refactor" a thing again?

By my reckoning, even without spacecourt finally catching up with Crobblers recently, absolutely nothing that is currently on display regarding SC/S42 will be in the imagined final version, it'll all need to be redone, everything, especailly all the mocap. CR needs to sit in the chair that says 'Director' on it a few more times yet, much like how an alcoholic needs a few more sips.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

G0RF posted:

POLYGON: Star Citizen’s 3.0 update is finally here
The latest update to the multiplayer game’s incomplete alpha build

(Probably copy and pasted right from a Swofford email after the PayPal transfer cleared...)

Way to bury the ledes.

And get out of here with that leap frog bullcrap. The game with 3 moons in one star system of a planned 100 compared to the one with a simulated galaxy... The game with only combat and cargo mechanics compare to Elite’s full suite of space sim essentials... The game with 15FPS on monster rigs next to the one that delivers 100+ And VR in ultra on equivalent rigs... The game in pre-alpha after five years next to the one released and continuously expanding... The game with no real A.I. yet versus one that’s had it since pre-release... The game facing lawsuits from multiple corners and with no transparency to backers versus the one with quarterly financial disclosures to the public... The game pitching $50 to $100 protection racket land claims as yet not in game vs. one that sells cheap cosmetics for those inclined.

Yet “Star Citizen leap frogs Elite because no loading screens.” Yeah, okay man. Whatever you say, ye paragon of games journalism.

:lol:

Also no mention of many players being unable to launch the game and among those they do many play for hours on end without being able to complete basic fedex quests. No mention of frequent crashes which wipe out ships often meaning players with basic packages have to wait for a 30 minute timer to countdown to play again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spiderdrake posted:

Was that the controller guy or am I thinking of someone else

To be fair the steam thread is loving poo poo so it's easy to get mixed up
That was a different guy whose name I can't recall off the top of my head. DW left somethingawful in a huff because every time he posted people made fun of how much he shilled for any and every indie game.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I don't know that I ever dropped this into the thread but in doing some hard drive clean-up I came back across it and figured it would be worth sharing. It's an excerpt from a pretentious, unfinished multi-chapter monsterpost called "The Malaise" that futzed about with Social Science, Marketing Theory, and Fundamentals of Game Design. Much of which is common-sense to most here but still seemed worth putting down for the newer visitors.

This part, "The Chasm", shameless archer-propriated Geoffrey Moore's model of technology adoption from "Crossing the Chasm" towards gaming industry audiences / crowdfunded MMOs in particular. It's just theorycrafted analysis with the power of CHARTS to lend the appearance of empirical rigor, but I liked parts of it.

Anyway...

---

THE CHASM

Cloud Imperium Games shattered crowdfunding records through the largesse of an oddball confederation of space sim enthusiasts, hardcore dogfighting fans, PC master racers, compulsive collectors, mid-life crisiseers, and gray market profiteers. In this peculiar strain of a technology adoption curve, they are the Innovators and Early Adopters -- that early, energetic, bump on the port side of the bell.

A little over 750,000 strong by true count, they are the purest Star Citizens that will ever be. Longsuffering and generous, credulous beyond reason, they are devotees of Chris Roberts more than customers of Cloud Imperium at heart. And he has captured the most generous of them, wholly and devotedly, with fictions he himself falsifies constantly, would that they could but turn their ecstatic gaze from his imagined future to behold his factual past, from the honeyed promises of his lips to the clumsy works of his hands.

Yet however firm his hold over the Early Adopters, however efficient his methods for extracting the cash of the Innovators, they are but a fraction of the true potential market for an online game. Across the chasm lies the real prize, the mainstream gamer audience.

Less affluent, less tribal, the "the filthy casuals" of the Gaming MMO Mainstream number in the tens of millions. They have no nostalgic attachments to the halcyon days of Wing Commander; like as not they remember it as a crappy Chris Roberts movie than a pivotal Chris Roberts game franchise. Their tastes are fickle, their loyalties quickly depreciating assets that must be constantly renewed and are never fully owned. Most don't even own PCs that could play a truly high fidelity game and never will. Many will play happily only on consoles.

Most are immune to Roberts' lures for they hold firm to credos that reject them, "Avoid early access" and "Never pre-order." They look askew at the cynical monetization tactics of AAA publishers who might seek $100 to unlock what they could easily deliver for free. They reject the "pay to win" models that enslave others then reward them with illusions of outsized power in MMOs.

The base tastes and playstyles of the “filthy casuals” who compromise the mainstream gamer population are largely held in derision and contempt by the population Roberts has amassed. Roberts himself has catered to their elitist self-narratives from the earliest hours of his pitch. Yet despite the lip service to the PC Master Racers, Roberts himself knows no such purism. He covets the mainstream masses across the chasm and expects them to follow in the fullness of time as they did before, when the PC Gaming market was young, minuscule and delighted with his offerings.

GamesIndustry.biz interview with Chris Roberts - April 23rd, 2013 posted:

Roberts continued, "My gut sense is that 5 to 10 percent of your audience is going to back you early, and I think that number is variable based on the quality. When you do something really good, it's a lower percentage; if you do something that isn't so good maybe it's 20 percent or 30 percent. I'm assuming if I deliver the game I think I'm going to deliver, if it holds up to the level of Wing Commander or Freelancer or Privateer, I think 10x would be a pretty conservative number. I think that would be right in there with what I did in the '90s. What crowdfunding has proven is that those people are still out there."

Alas, if only the sound marketing instincts of his gut could prevail over the self-defeating impulses of his ego.

Putting aside their psychographic tendencies and preferred gaming platforms, there is a far simpler reason why Chris Roberts will struggle to capture the mainstream gamer market: they prefer games that are fun, and Chris Roberts is disinterested in making them.

Behold, his vision of "tactical FPS", and consider how far short it falls not just of the modern FPS but of the earliest entries in the genre.

Behold, his abandoned plans for an Ender's Game Battle Arena, in contrast to one playable now in VR.

Behold, his attempts at a Space Racing experience, and what as busy misery of poorly thought out overdesign its race track is.

Behold, his notion of MMO Mission Design, which asks players to flip switches on and off in some parody of a game loop. Or his future vision of it, which demands 8 minutes of idle running or flying to achieve 20 seconds of hot switch-flipping action. A feature, not a bug, of a realism bias so pervasive that it all but eliminates the possibility of general purpose “get in get out fun” that defines most modern MMO successes.

The commitment to drudgery by design so typical of simulators and often especially Space Sims is the resignation to a niche, but in Chris’s case it may mean a vexing future spent staring hopelessly across the chasm wondering why he couldn’t cross it. A future frustratedly unaware that he himself designed it that way with misguided development priorities, poor game design choices, indifference to the mechanics of play and most especially hostility towards conventional definitions of Fun.

Object lessons abound in the gaming industry, would that he wanted to learn from them. There are studios aplenty who captured the Innovators and Early Adopters in their market yet took nothing for granted when it came to continuing growth. They saw themselves approaching the chasm and set about the difficult problem-solving effort to devise ways to cross it, even though doing so always costs you the good will and patronage of some of your purist early fans. Behold, the Price of Freedom.

Once these companies were fledglings, now they are behemoths. Rockstar declared from their very inception that their goal was to create games for more than nerds and kids. Valve saw the need for a user-friendly software distribution platform. Bethesda turned from the PC fantasy game enthusiasts to the console market with Morrowind and scored a top 10 seller, then captured even larger audiences with the streamlined Oblivion and Fallout 3 before creating a certified monster hit with Skyrim. Some in industry were shocked that a genre formerly assumed a fixed-cap niche could become a massive mainstream success, yet Bethesda didn’t cross the chasm by accident. They’d been building a bridge there for years.

So many of the giants of our time turned from to niches to riches because they saw as self-evident what Roberts still can’t discern; that the masses they desired would not be reached by fiat or accident. It would take humility, focus, years of purposeful bridge building, and no shortage of luck, because in the end the masses do not come easily like the niches so often do. If you want them, you have to go get them, and if you're not bearing Fun when you try, then you shouldn't even bother, because they sure as hell won't.

kilus aof posted:

Also no mention of many players being unable to launch the game and among those they do many play for hours on end without being able to complete basic fedex quests. No mention of frequent crashes which wipe out ships often meaning players with basic packages have to wait for a 30 minute timer to countdown to play again.

How dare you mock the joys of Chris’s Fedex quests; they completely leapfrog Elite’s!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 28, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ramadu posted:

Who is Dominic white

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglxDd1zKvQ

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Trilobite posted:

Yeah, I started in the early '90s and never hung out in the same newsgroups he did (closest I got were some nearby ones in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* hierarchy), but even I knew that Derek Smart had Kibo-like grep-fu powers and would go literally anywhere to flame the absolute gently caress out of anyone who was trash-talking him, and that he would. never. stop.

In an era when you could have filled books with flamewars that lasted for months, Derek would've filled libraries. He wasn't the meanest, he wasn't the most convincing, he wasn't the funniest...but he was definitely the most relentless. People who started poo poo with him could go dark for months, then pop up in some obscure backwater alt. group and make one vaguely phrased reference to their opinions about him or Battlecruiser 3000AD, and OH poo poo HERE WE GO AGAIN. And here we are today, and lo and behold, the only thing that's changed is the calendar.

Yeah I remember almost 20 years ago hanging out on other forums like LtM I think or one of its offspring and it was a bannable offence to train Derek on a thread because someone would inevitably engage and then he’d go to 11. It wasn’t even hard. Derek Smart. Derek Smart. Derek Smart.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I love the fact that I can post unfiltered SC gameplay and simultaneously be accused of being a paid RSI shill and Derek Smart troll.

The game speaks for itself right now, but different people are getting different messages.

I’m actually surprised that despite the myriad of bugs and performance issues it is stable and not crashing as often as it used to, which I guess is damming with faint praise.

At least this. Idea didn’t get commandeered by white supremacists.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Some of the earliest articles I can remember reading on SA were Lowtax talking about Smart. I don't think they were on good terms back then.

Smart reminds me a lot of usenet posting styles that I'd encounter on the lurker lounge. Probably why I don't mind him at all.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ewe2 posted:

Soooooo goood! I only wish the vocals were a little louder!

Is there a running tally of all the Goontunes from the SC thread? The OP needs a jukebox of that added because there’s been so much goodness over the years, much of it yours!

illectro posted:

I love the fact that I can post unfiltered SC gameplay and simultaneously be accused of being a paid RSI shill and Derek Smart troll.

The game speaks for itself right now, but different people are getting different messages.

I admire your even-handedness in your discussions of the strengths and weaknesses, but the fact that you even acknowledge weaknesses lets me know you’re a Derek Smart alt.

quote:

I’m actually surprised that despite the myriad of bugs and performance issues it is stable and not crashing as often as it used to, which I guess is damming with faint praise.

We all dream that one day the game will be stable enough that it allows us to stop and truly appreciate the actual design weaknesses. But it’s early days still.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 28, 2017

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Point 1: This has nothing to do with a space game. In her words: "I watched Chris Roberts, and he's a dork. He's a dork's dork. He looks weird, he sounds weird, he's overweight, clumsy, and socially awkward. But he made a game, made millions, got the "girl" (such as it is), has tons of adoring fans, and now he's taking on the establishment. Everything he's doing is the wet dream of every geek in the world who's considered themselves a hopeless underdog - if he can do it, so can they! And for that reason, they have to believe he can do this. Because if it turns out Chris Roberts lied - if he is a fraud - then that means he's not one of them. And that means there's no hope for them: to make the money, get the girl, and get acceptance. They'll stay in the bottom of the social bucket for the rest of their lives. So they believe."

Thanks. Your wife figured out the thing about this which bothered me the most. I never understood why anyone would consider Chris Roberts remotely charismatic or even trust him at all. Looking at him in the original pitch immediately makes me uneasy and skeptical. He reminds me of a certain category of people, some of which are geeks, some which are not, but sharing the notion that ambition and a great idea is enough to succeed, with zero regard for skill, hard work and finding solutions. I hate working with people like that, because they'll attempt to take the credit for every victory, all the while being a major blocker to actually getting anything done. And if they have any kind of managerial power, it's 100% sure to be a shitshow. A lot makes sense if many backers are themselves that kind of person. If Chris succeeds, it also validates that their personal failures are the fault of other people, because they too have grand dreams and the power of ideas. Just like Chris.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer.

Ben Lesnick, Devourer

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

PederP posted:

Thanks. Your wife figured out the thing about this which bothered me the most. I never understood why anyone would consider Chris Roberts remotely charismatic or even trust him at all. Looking at him in the original pitch immediately makes me uneasy and skeptical. He reminds me of a certain category of people, some of which are geeks, some which are not, but sharing the notion that ambition and a great idea is enough to succeed, with zero regard for skill, hard work and finding solutions. I hate working with people like that, because they'll attempt to take the credit for every victory, all the while being a major blocker to actually getting anything done. And if they have any kind of managerial power, it's 100% sure to be a shitshow. A lot makes sense if many backers are themselves that kind of person. If Chris succeeds, it also validates that their personal failures are the fault of other people, because they too have grand dreams and the power of ideas. Just like Chris.

It's kinda the reason also as to why I seriously hope it does, indeed, all end with Skadden's ELE as opposed to a wet fart of Chris putting CIG development 'on hold' while the whales shill out a technically playable, but completely hosed up and bug/lag-ridden product. I prefer a definitive "lose all money, shut down all offices, go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200$" ending (which is all too likely, precisely because they specifically abandoned the goal of providing for private servers, meaning even privately hosted servers are nigh impossible due to what an omnibus of data SC is right now and official operation remains dependent on their server operation and netcode :laffo: ), because seeing their idol dragged through the legal and reputational dirt completely and utterly is far more likely to snap at least a few whales out of their fantasyland and make them realize they've been identifying with a complete scam artist fuckup loser.

Of course it won't work on all of them, not those who genuinely want to make him out to be Christ Roberts. Some of them legit said they'd crowdfund assassins back in 2013 and at the time I thought they were likely just making fun of their obsession and kidding...but nowadays I'm not so sure anymore. :stonk:

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 28, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I have a powerful bloodthirst that only guillotines or space court can quench

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

illectro posted:

If not you who can they trust?

G0RF posted:

Soooooo goood! I only wish the vocals were a little louder!

Is there a running tally of all the Goontunes from the SC thread? The OP needs a jukebox of that added because there’s been so much goodness over the years, much of it yours!

Now look we've been through this before about the vocals :colbert: As always, mine are mostly on http://tindeck.com/users/ewe2 except for that little problem with Jingle Parps #1 through #4.

And don't stop with just The Chasm, show us more my nipples explode with delight.

Scruffpuff posted:

Poor Chris. :females: are immune to his scam. The irony is annihilating.

I think it's possible that Roberts is addicted to his role and subconsciously never wants it to stop. It would explain a lot.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

illectro posted:

Yeah it looked "Good" in your video. Empty, but didn't have that weird Star Citizen specific jutteryness. (ie, nothing knows where it wants to be so it tries a bunch of locations to see what feels best)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr.Tophat posted:

I have a powerful bloodthirst that only space guillotines from space court can quench

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

"Clip outta this," I say as I put litigation against a developer's head and pull the release date

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Once almost forgotten, Derek smart is a faerie being who only commands power and his life force upon being in people’s minds, seeing Star Citizen this dying light of a magical creature realized how he could grasp the bright burning power of attention once more.

Derek Smart: Awakening

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

CIG can release the game anytime they want and the faithful will accept it as the one true PC game. The only reasons they don't is because the jpgs are still selling.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

So is Dominic White the Dominic Tarason that's contributing to RPS's further decline? That would make a lot of sense.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Smart reminds me a lot of usenet posting styles that I'd encounter on the lurker lounge.
That's because he never left usenet. Not really.

He's still posting there, in his head, still fighting his war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjUJHxfPJ-s

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sabreseven posted:

Yes Montoya, everything is done,

Except pretty much all of it.

Even the three ships he mentions as 'done', they are not really done are they? Since when has CR ever completely finalised and finished tinkering with a ship and declared that he'll never "refactor" a thing again?

By my reckoning, even without spacecourt finally catching up with Crobblers recently, absolutely nothing that is currently on display regarding SC/S42 will be in the imagined final version, it'll all need to be redone, everything, especailly all the mocap. CR needs to sit in the chair that says 'Director' on it a few more times yet, much like how an alcoholic needs a few more sips.

The ships that he mentioned are all not in game yet. He basically counted a concept sale as "stretch goal fulfilled"

Which is making a very good point about what kind of game these guys expect by now...

E: G0RF-morning morning posts make me happy :3:

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 28, 2017

WTFish
May 4, 2009

ComfyPants posted:

With the increasing jank that Star Citizen piles on, it seems that we've all come full circle. It's only fair.

:trumppop:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ComfyPants posted:

oh my god this is how you close out the thread in 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

So is Dominic White the Dominic Tarason that's contributing to RPS's further decline? That would make a lot of sense.
You betcha.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
New Shadow of the Colossus sequel looking good!
That Polygon "article" is trying so hard to make SC look like a game and poo poo, but man that's like a total fairy castle made of sawdust and lies.
Also Ben is totally a Great Unclean One in a man skin suit.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

illectro posted:

:eyepop:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ComfyPants posted:

holy poo poo amazing

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Catching up but I have to say holy poo poo. I heard it launched and heard it flopped, and looking at Steam is "mixed/mostly negative", but skimming the reviews it's 100% "the multiplayer sucks". This sounds like it died entirely because all the COD fans panned it because it wasn't COD and all the non-COD fans panned it because it had COD in the name.

Either way, I might have to at least grab this on sale or something.

A bit behind, but yeah, I think it was mostly the multiplayer and to some degree that they were initially only bundling the CoD 4 remaster with the expensive versions of CoD: IW. I've never cared about WW2 shooters or the CoD multiplayer, but I picked it up around launch for the campaign. Single player is good, imo, though I have little to no memory of any other CoD campaign so I can't make any real comparisons.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ComfyPants posted:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Fish are pets.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bofast posted:

A bit behind, but yeah, I think it was mostly the multiplayer and to some degree that they were initially only bundling the CoD 4 remaster with the expensive versions of CoD: IW. I've never cared about WW2 shooters or the CoD multiplayer, but I picked it up around launch for the campaign. Single player is good, imo, though I have little to no memory of any other CoD campaign so I can't make any real comparisons.

The part where you fight your way through an enemy ship to disable their defenses and then escape through an airlock just in time for frontline seats to a friendly ship jumping in with all guns firing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_jqiK0_hAU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

:prepop:

I was gunna try and lead a normal life today