Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm, the new insider preview has the registry stuff factored out from the kernel into its own process. I wonder what's going on here longterm. They've already said that eventually that data is going to be compressed in RAM (isn't yet). I guess it's related to the ongoing kernel refactoring/modularization.

Maybe this will decrease the likelihood of registry corruption given an unstable system? I too wonder where they are going with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

so if I have windows 10 on an HDD (that was upgraded to 10 from 7 a while ago), and I use the media creation tool to get an installer so I can install windows onto an SSD, I shouldn't have to enter any license key that I don't think I ever had (since it was an OEM install)

and everything will pretty much be fine, right?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
If the kernel now gets config from another process/service rather than assuming a registry exists, then you have the opportunity to change the back end storage instead of needing a literal registry hive. It could simplify sync/roaming for example. And the kernel doesn't care. Or, the kernel instance can be containerized and talk to the host service still.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Microsoft Cloud OS

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
So what's the deal with the creator's update? Anything new I need to disable or delete?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So what's the deal with the creator's update? Anything new I need to disable or delete?

Delete yourself and install Linux :q:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Windows is now stuck after a restart at "preparing to configure Windows".

This sucks. I'm too lazy right now to make a repair disk or whatever it wants.

Thanks for the zero error messages
I hate you Microsoft.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This appeared in my Windows Defender settings, does anyone know exactly what it does / how it works?:

Also, Microsoft's proofreading abilities give me great confidence in their antivirus.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Zero VGS posted:

This appeared in my Windows Defender settings, does anyone know exactly what it does / how it works?:

Also, Microsoft's proofreading abilities give me great confidence in their antivirus.

It adds restrictions to the specified folders, so that only the list of applications that you've whitelisted are allowed to modify files in those folders. It's basically a barrier to prevent ransomware from modifying your files without you realising it.

The implementation is a bit lacking though - when a program tries to modify a file in a protected folder, Defender pops up a toast notification which invariably has the full path of the offending application truncated, making it very difficult to track down and whitelist applications easily. So you'll need to follow the instructions here to add an Event Viewer filter that shows you all the CFA activity on your machine - this logs the full path to the application that tried to modify a protected file, so you can whitelist it easily.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

beuges posted:

It adds restrictions to the specified folders, so that only the list of applications that you've whitelisted are allowed to modify files in those folders. It's basically a barrier to prevent ransomware from modifying your files without you realising it.

The implementation is a bit lacking though - when a program tries to modify a file in a protected folder, Defender pops up a toast notification which invariably has the full path of the offending application truncated, making it very difficult to track down and whitelist applications easily. So you'll need to follow the instructions here to add an Event Viewer filter that shows you all the CFA activity on your machine - this logs the full path to the application that tried to modify a protected file, so you can whitelist it easily.

Awesome, thanks for the writeup.

I found it in Group Policy too:

Computer Config -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Defender Antivirus -> Windows Defender Exploit Guard -> Controlled Folder Access

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Don't worry, MS has fired QA and has automated all testing so I'm sure A.I. will have to catch onto stuff like this some day

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It unauthorized changed by unfriendly applications. Can't you read?!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's nice to think Windows is sitting on mountains of code of that quality.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

redeyes posted:

It unauthorized changed by unfriendly applications. Can't you read?!

That mean old jock football manager exe that gave notepad a swirlie won't be making any more changes without getting authorization. :colbert:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmm, the new insider preview has the registry stuff factored out from the kernel into its own process. I wonder what's going on here longterm. They've already said that eventually that data is going to be compressed in RAM (isn't yet). I guess it's related to the ongoing kernel refactoring/modularization.

I found the post that talks about this, as far as I understand it isn't that the actual registry code is running in a separate process, they've just logically jiggled the memory management so the registry data in memory appear as a separate process. So it's a lightweight process with zero execution threads and only memory pages.
It would have been cooler if it had been moved to a proper service of its own.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah really the goal it looks like they're shooting for is to allow the loaded registry data to be able to benefit from all the memory features they've built for user processes (including compression) that isn't available to data that's sitting in a buffer in the kernel paged pool. This apparently only recently became possible because of the new type of minimal blank-slate processes (Pico Processes) they created recently that they use in the Linux subsystem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I tried to connect my Dell Latitude to my parent's older Samsung TV via HDMI and it said "Mode Not Supported", no matter how I changed the resolution, projection mode, ports, or cables. Tried my parent's HP Envy and it worked right away. What the heck is the problem with the Dell?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some pages back:

Spek posted:

Anyone have any idea how to fix these errors in Windows update:

Every update gets error 0x80070001 and has for about 6 months now.

I was checking up on my mom's laptop today, it had similar problems with updates failing to download and install. She has Office 2007 installed, so more or less the same as those final versions of the "Viewer" versions.
I'm trying the manual Fall Creators Update installer now, hopefully it will install and maybe get regular WU out of its rut.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hooah posted:

I tried to connect my Dell Latitude to my parent's older Samsung TV via HDMI and it said "Mode Not Supported", no matter how I changed the resolution, projection mode, ports, or cables. Tried my parent's HP Envy and it worked right away. What the heck is the problem with the Dell?
Could be refresh rate connected.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
What's the current best practice for splitting some of Windows' system folders across disks? I want the OS on C:\ (an SSD, of course), but user accounts on E:\ (an HDD). I'd like programs to go on either drive (stuff I use a lot on C:\ and less-used stuff on E:\), but I think that should be easy enough by just specifying the install location for each program in its wizard. After searching for docs on how to do this, I found that there are lots of good ways to gently caress up your computer if you do this wrong, hence this post.

I did this like 6 years ago on my current computer, but I have no idea what it is that I actually, you know, did.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Avenging Dentist posted:

What's the current best practice for splitting some of Windows' system folders across disks? I want the OS on C:\ (an SSD, of course), but user accounts on E:\ (an HDD). I'd like programs to go on either drive (stuff I use a lot on C:\ and less-used stuff on E:\), but I think that should be easy enough by just specifying the install location for each program in its wizard. After searching for docs on how to do this, I found that there are lots of good ways to gently caress up your computer if you do this wrong, hence this post.

I did this like 6 years ago on my current computer, but I have no idea what it is that I actually, you know, did.

Don't do it. Get a big enough drive that you can make it work. If you really have to redirect user folders just right click them and change their location with the normal windows dialogs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does windows freak out if you just mount another volume on c:\users?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's usually fine but you especially don't want it on an hdd that needs to spin up every time you wake from sleep and will be kept spinning for as long as the computer is on because at that point you may as well have your OS on that disc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Windows 10 has built-in redirecting for the Documents, Pictures, Music, Downloads, etc in user profile to alternate folders on any drive. Most of your bulk data can easily live wherever you want it to.

After that you could move the most odious wasters of space from AppData (looking at you Chrome) elsewhere via junctions if you really wanted. That way it's just some individual programs that get messed up if things break rather than the whole user profile. I did that when I was using a piddly 90gb SSD.

mystes posted:

Does windows freak out if you just mount another volume on c:\users?

NTFS mounted volumes in folders has issues with not being able to use the recycle bin. Not great for the user profile or anything were you'd be deleting files from the desktop or user folders frequently.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Klyith posted:

Windows 10 has built-in redirecting for the Documents, Pictures, Music, Downloads, etc in user profile to alternate folders on any drive. Most of your bulk data can easily live wherever you want it to.

Ok, I can probably do that (and maybe do the junctions thing for Firefox/Thunderbird and such, since I don't think those make much sense to live on an SSD). I suppose I'm probably trying to prematurely optimize, since I'm used to running on a 120 GB SSD (my new one is 500 GB) and having to be really careful with how much stays on there. (And that SSD is old enough that it has nowhere near the same max number of writes as current drives.) :shrug:

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 27, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm running Windows and all the apps I use, and a couple of 20GB games on a 256 nvme drive, and it has 150GB free. All my files are on an old sata ssd / THE CLOUD.

I can't get out of my 2001 mindset of only installing what I actually use. But this makes me feel like I'm barely using my computer at all.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok, I can probably do that (and maybe do the junctions thing for Firefox/Thunderbird and such, since I don't think those make much sense to live on an SSD).
Firefox still lets you set a maximum size for cache, so I'd just set that down to something reasonable and not worry about it. Chrome is the one that's completely retarded about making GBS threads up your drive with 5 gigs of cached youtubes.

quote:

I suppose I'm probably trying to prematurely optimize, since I'm used to running on a 120 GB SSD (my new one is 500 GB) and having to be really careful with how much stays on there. (And that SSD is old enough that it has nowhere near the same max number of writes as current drives.) :shrug:
Yeah I went through the same thing after being on a small SSD for several years, you have to just chill and remember how to not care about a gigabyte here or there again.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
I'd prioritize having my user folder on an SSD over the windows folder anyway. It's the one that's being accessed all the time post-boot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Avenging Dentist posted:

If this is a single-user system, repoint specific folders like Downloads/Music/Videos to that other drive but don't attempt to repoint C:\Users it is a lesson in pain

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok, I can probably do that (and maybe do the junctions thing for Firefox/Thunderbird and such, since I don't think those make much sense to live on an SSD). I suppose I'm probably trying to prematurely optimize, since I'm used to running on a 120 GB SSD (my new one is 500 GB) and having to be really careful with how much stays on there. (And that SSD is old enough that it has nowhere near the same max number of writes as current drives.) :shrug:

You don't need junctions for those, you can just locate the profiles where ever you want by editing the profiles.ini. But Firefox is probably one of the main things I would want on the SSD.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

This is my start menu now. I am ok with this.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If this is a single-user system, repoint specific folders like Downloads/Music/Videos to that other drive but don't attempt to repoint C:\Users it is a lesson in pain

It's single-user (though I try to allow for multiple users), and my general rule is that things I made go in my homedir and things I didn't make (movies, TV shows, albums, etc) go on a media drive.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Captain Foo posted:

so if I have windows 10 on an HDD (that was upgraded to 10 from 7 a while ago), and I use the media creation tool to get an installer so I can install windows onto an SSD, I shouldn't have to enter any license key that I don't think I ever had (since it was an OEM install)

and everything will pretty much be fine, right?

It's tied to the motherboard, so it probably shouldn't.

If you're really worried you can just clone it.

ItBurns posted:

This is my start menu now. I am ok with this.

I still don't know what the gently caress they're thinking by having every fresh install have Mickey Mouse and Minecraft and Candy Crush right there on the start menu. Looks so tacky and like cheap phone bloatware.

A fresh install from an MCT image should be totally clean like every version of Windows before it, and like Mac OS and Linux are.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

skooma512 posted:

It's tied to the motherboard, so it probably shouldn't.

If you're really worried you can just clone it.

I still don't know what the gently caress they're thinking by having every fresh install have Mickey Mouse and Minecraft and Candy Crush right there on the start menu. Looks so tacky and like cheap phone bloatware.

A fresh install from an MCT image should be totally clean like every version of Windows before it, and like Mac OS and Linux are.

I don't know WTF they're doing, by adding apps there like "mail" that can't be right click > uninstalled.
It feels like using an old unrooted phone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

You know how a while ago all our phones became computers?

Now all our computers are becoming phones.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't know WTF they're doing, by adding apps there like "mail" that can't be right click > uninstalled.

Ooo, a malicious false dichotomy. Exciting!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Whatever you say, boss.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 28, 2017

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

dont be mean to me posted:

Ooo, a malicious false dichotomy. Exciting!

I wonder why people are mean to you

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

This would be relevant if the apps ever actually installed so they could be uninstalled and if it didn't revert to that state every time I reboot, chap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You're both talking about two distinct kinds of bloatware.

Grindcore is complaining about Microsoft-bundled apps that are baked into the core Windows image and have to be removed with Powershell.

You're talking about the 'smart' tiles apps which are not on the system but are a clever new thing where you can pin app hooks to the Start Menu and as a result they will add to your Store and automatically start downloading and installing themselves. These can be prevented being created by deleting c:\users\Default\appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\DefaultLayout.xml - or, you can even add your own.