Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Dan Bell is moving his Another Dirty Room over to Amazon Prime. His post on Facebook explains

quote:

From this point forward, all future episodes of Another Dirty Room will debut on Amazon Prime exclusively. My media partner and Amazon’s appreciation for excellent content have made this decision an easy one. Look for new, uncensored and absolutely disgusting episodes of Another Dirty Room in February.

Why I am doing this you ask? YouTube has done everything in their power to squeeze out real filmmakers and artists by slowly chipping away at their income and audience size. Although I’m not throwing in the towel with YouTube just yet, I’m certainly thinking a whole lot bigger as far as projects on Amazon are concerned. Amazon is a platform where I’m free to do whatever it is that I want to do. YouTube is a platform where I have to censor my work, not cover topics that have been deemed “offensive” and worry about demonetization on videos that take weeks to shoot and edit. I’m done with the bullshit. The numbers for Another Dirty Room on Amazon have been phenomenal and they’re going to keep being phenomenal.

YouTube is a failing platform, a sinking ship. I’m jumping in the lifeboat. 2018 is going to ROCK!

He mentioned in another post that patreons will get a private link to the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

His TLJ hot take: "SJWs ruined Star Wars!"

DoubleCakes posted:

Alt-right furries are the weirdest friggin' thing.

:lol: I read a bit of his Twitter account and the guy is such a hilariously edgy asswipe that I think I actually cut myself on one of his tweets. So congratulations, I guess, to Rian Johnson and the cast of The Last Jedi for making this weirdo lose what precious little was left of his mind so completely.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some nice open spoilers there for a movie duology I'm sure everyone's already seen.

It's an eleven year old movie that anyone who is interested in Death Note would have seen already.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Nobody better spoil the first Naruto movie!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Testekill posted:

It's an eleven year old movie that anyone who is interested in Death Note would have seen already.

I mean, I heven't seen it yet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

I mean, I heven't seen it yet.

Same, guess thats on us for not watching literally every movie made 11+ years ago.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's nothing to spoil, it deliberately has no effect on the larger series. The question of "Why even bother making it then?" is answered with "Money."

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I read "SJW'S RUINED STAR WARS!" and tbh all I can think of is this guy:

*plays guitar very badly*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Failed clone of Julian Casablancas?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

He gets into law school, setting up the Naruto Goes To Law School series

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I read "SJW'S RUINED STAR WARS!" and tbh all I can think of is this guy:

*plays guitar very badly*

He should take a nap imo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I Before E posted:

He gets into law school, setting up the Naruto Goes To Law School series

Would unironically watch this

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Best of the Worst Christmas special... a little late, I guess, but Merry Kick-mas all the same!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Speaking of late Christmas vids, Cinema Nippon covered Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l08BYWLUH98

Thread regulars Kyle and Infamous Sphere have both covered this before but CinemaNippon has gone in a different direction to both of them so I think its worth another look. Personally I'm pleasantly surprised with the way its discussion on the treatment of prisoners and Japan's actions in WWII went. Shockingly apologism for Japanese militarism has become incredibly common among western Japanophiles and I instinctively get into a cringe position whenever the subject starts moving into Japan's Empire period to save time.

Oh and since the thread has been talking about Death Note they have video discussion on the Netflix version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK6Tr-bGWQ4 Its about an hour and a half and I've not watched it because I don't really have any interest in the Netflix film but its there if you want it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Speaking of ice cold TLJ takes. CHRISTMAS STORY TIME!

The topic of TLJ came up, myself and someone else started making fun of the Internet's "rationals" lame-rear end reactions to TLJ-- about the stupid petitions, and how it all basically boils down to "woms ruined my childhood". Good times were had by all.

Except for one relative who piped up, with a "well actually", and I instinctively cringed. You see, this particular relative-- let's call him Sam just to avoid any doxxiness-- Sam, well, he likes Orphan Black.

"But Lorne", you say, scoffing and dropping your monocle, "I like Orphan Black too. It is a perfectly fine show."

Yes, sure, it is. I don't disagree. But Sam REALLY likes Orphan Black. Obsessed with it. If there's any talk of what TV shows people are watching, he'll work in how they SHOULD be watching Orphan Black. If they express any interest (even a polite "oh that's nice") he'll remind them it's on DVD (ranting also about how there's no bluray release of earlier seasons). If they are in any way close to him, he'll BUY them the DVD of S1 and make them watch it with him.

He'll go on and on about how it's a brilliant show, absolutely brilliant, so much smarter than any other show on TV. You really have to THINK while watching it. And the directing is amazing, and every actor is the best, literally the best actors you'll ever see. They have to play multiple parts, and all of their careers have SKYROCKETED since the show started, so of course now they're "American famous" and-- etc

"But Lorne", you say, getting ready the cattle prod, "What does this have to do with TLJ?"

Ah, there's the rub. For all the blustering Sam does about Orphan Black, it very quickly becomes apparent the his praise for Orphan Black is actually a very (very) thinly veiled infatuation with the STAR of Orphan Black, Tatiana Maslany. And by infatuation, I mean creepy obsession for someone half his age.

Which, if you've been around Sam for any length of time, you know is a pattern. Young women, especially in the creative arts, get heaped with adorning praise about how WONDERFUL they are, and talented, and special, and unique. It's creepy. And gets creepier once you start to recognize the pattern-- that the only ones he is praising are all young or very young women, who all fit a very particular body type and physical appearance. Because then you realize that "she's a wonderful actor" and "her career is going to go far" are all codephrases for "I want to gently caress her".

And in case you think I'm reading too much into it-- well, I'm also the only one in the family with any IT knowledge. So I'm the one who gets to fix everyone's computers. And the #1 thing to fix is virus/spyware/malware/adware infections, specifically targeting browsers. Whenever I mention "these things tend to come in from malicious ads", people hear "these came from skeevy sites", to which they (specifically Sam) instantly jumps in with a totally believable "Oh, I never visit THOSE sites". Except I'm fixing your loving computer, and I can drat well see the browser history you didn't clear.

Just a point of interest: if you fix someone's computer, you WILL get glimpses into their browser history if you want to or not. Thank you, auto-completing browser address bars. Which is how I know he pairs up actresses like Emma Watson (a young woman who fits a particular body type and physical appearance) with search terms that I won't post here.

ANYWAYS, you quickly learn that you can play a game when you're around Sam. I call it "TTT"-- which is Time To Tatiana-- which is the time it takes from the moment you meet him until he brings up Tatiana Maslany in conversation. I've had edge cases of 30 seconds, but the average will be in the 10 minute range. It's cringe-worthy, because you know it isn't an honest conversation about a TV show, it's just some dude wearing his wank-material on his sleeve.

So to roll this all back to The Last Jedi-- Christams is here. We're talking about movies and TV and such. TLJ comes up, and along with it making fun of the cold takes that boil down to "I don't like woms in my Pew Pew War movies".

To which Sam pipes up "Oh, I haven't heard any of those. The only negative thing I've heard is the whole deal with Tatiyana Maslany".

I cringe, because I've heard this cold cold take before (though Sam is about to make it even colder). But the person with me is foolish enough to say "What do you mean".

Sam then goes on this very long rant about how Tatiyana Maslany was originally in the running, and in the lead, to play Rey. (Because, you see, her success on a mildly popular Canadian sci-fi show instantly makes her a Holllywood big-wig). But she didn't get the part, because there's a conspiracy in Hollywood to keep her out of the industry, because they (They) don't want a Canadian upstart to have a skyrocketing career. He ties it in with a conspiracy to keep her out of the Golden Globes for her deserved awards.

I've heard this poo poo before. Ever since The Force Awakens was announced, Sam's been going on about how Tatiyana Maslany would be in it, and is in consideration for the lead, and was passed over. To the point where I finally tried to search online for what the gently caress he's talking about. Now, keep in mind Sam's main source of news-- despite claiming he "Reads all the main newspapers AND the BBC everyday"-- comes from online, and he has NO concept of what is a news story, what is an opinion piece, and what's a clickbait third-party post whose only source is some dude's blog.

And that's what I found. The only reference to Tatiyana Maslany being attached to Star Wars was a fan blog from way back, heard a rumor she might be auditioning, and HOPED that would result in a lead role (which was echoed by a different blog with a title like "Tatiyana Maslany in next Star Wars?!?!"

So I automatically tuned out that cold cold take, until Sam topped it. You see, not only was Tatiyana Maslany ROBBED of her role but, and I'll paraphrase...

"The director really, really wanted her. But he got Daisy Rider, who isn't anywhere near an accomplished enough actress to play the role. So the director was ALWAYS struggling to get a performance out of her, because he was expecting to work with Tatiyana. That's why her performance comes across so bad on screen, and that's why The Force Awakens didn't do so well at the box office. I heard the new director for TLJ also had so much problems working with Daisy, because of the bad experiences with the last director, which is why her performance is worse. And that's also why TLJ is doing so bad at the box office."

tldr: So there you go. The coldest Star Wars: TLJ take I encountered. An old man creepily obsessed with young-to-underaged women believes TLJ bombed because the director couldn't get a performance out of Daisy Rider, because everyone on the production instead wanted the uber-talented and amazing Tatiyana Maslany-- an actress form a b-rated Canadian sci-fi show.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

:whitewater:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel very sorry for your relative who lives in the reality where the new Star Warses did not do very well, and I hope he finds his way to his home reality.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

lornekates posted:

Sam then goes on this very long rant about how Tatiyana Maslany was originally in the running, and in the lead, to play Rey. (Because, you see, her success on a mildly popular Canadian sci-fi show instantly makes her a Holllywood big-wig). But she didn't get the part, because there's a conspiracy in Hollywood to keep her out of the industry, because they (They) don't want a Canadian upstart to have a skyrocketing career. He ties it in with a conspiracy to keep her out of the Golden Globes for her deserved awards.

So he thinks they conspired to blacklist a Canadian TV actress because she was an outsider in Hollywood… only to then turn around and hire a British TV actress instead? Even by conspiracy theory standards that’s doesn’t make any sense. In fact I’d say Ridley was way more of an outsider than Maslany is, judging by their IMDB pages.

This sort of story makes me glad my family never talks about anything even remotely controversial at gatherings. If any of them have creepy crushes on celebrities, I’m happy to not know about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Time posted:

I feel very sorry for your relative who lives in the reality where the new Star Warses did not do very well, and I hope he finds his way to his home reality.

I think I'd actually like to live in that reality, because if Force Awakens earning $2 billion qualifies as "not doing very well" the economy must be doing a whole lot better there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My lawyer uncle got drunk and started ranting about the feminization of society.

I had a good time overall despite this. My grandma's still kicking at 91 (her birthday was december 24).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My 100+ year old great great aunt rants about America getting too friendly with Russia anytime she gets grumpy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bakeneko posted:

So he thinks they conspired to blacklist a Canadian TV actress because she was an outsider in Hollywood… only to then turn around and hire a British TV actress instead? Even by conspiracy theory standards that’s doesn’t make any sense. In fact I’d say Ridley was way more of an outsider than Maslany is, judging by their IMDB pages.

This sort of story makes me glad my family never talks about anything even remotely controversial at gatherings. If any of them have creepy crushes on celebrities, I’m happy to not know about it.

Nobody in Star Wars has ever been anyone with any sort of profile, except for like Liam Neeson and James Earl Jones and Alec Guinness—and Peter Cushing for the genre fans.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s great that they were willing to take a chance on lesser-known actors for such a massive film, both then and now. It shows they have a lot of confidence in what they wrote. Compare that to a lot of substandard films that cast a big name and put them all over the marketing, basically yelling at everyone “Please come and see our movie! Someone you recognize is in it!”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bakeneko posted:

It’s great that they were willing to take a chance on lesser-known actors for such a massive film, both then and now. It shows they have a lot of confidence in what they wrote. Compare that to a lot of substandard films that cast a big name and put them all over the marketing, basically yelling at everyone “Please come and see our movie! Someone you recognize is in it!”

Like Universal making The Mummy about Tom Cruise rather than the Mummy?

Remember the Dark Universe?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like Universal making The Mummy about Tom Cruise rather than the Mummy?

Remember the Dark Universe?

The video game adaptation was better received than that movie it was based on.

Consider that for a moment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

When Star Wars casts someone I’ve never heard of before (or Adam Driver from Girls and the guy who sang “Love is the Drug” over the credits of Suckerpunch), they’re always extremely charming and charismatic. The stories for these new movies are kind of overcrowded and baffling, but the people acting them out sure are fun to watch.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Spark That Bled posted:

In fairness the game was made by Wayforward who have a fairly good record with only a couple stinkers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spark That Bled posted:

I recently learned that Guillermo Del Toro was offered Kevin Feigeship of the Dark Universe several times dating back as far as 2007 but declined each time and now regrets not going for it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jeremy Jahns didn't hate it, he gave it his mid tier rating of "good time no alcohol required", but he had a number if issues with it that most people have touched on.

The only thing I've ever heard of Jeremy Jahns is a salt-of-the-earth friend of mine who, whenever he's seen a bad movie, tells me that "I like that Jeremy Jahn called it 'dogshit'".

So my only impression is that he's the sort of critic who still calls movies "dogshit" in 2017.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There must be one or two Spinal Tap-inspired “Revenge of the poo poo” reviews floating around.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Bakeneko posted:

So he thinks they conspired to blacklist a Canadian TV actress because she was an outsider in Hollywood… only to then turn around and hire a British TV actress instead? Even by conspiracy theory standards that’s doesn’t make any sense.

Yuuuuup. And not just because she's an outsider. But because they were jealous of her success or something. Something something "cabal of old-school haters who spend all their time rigging the Golden Globes to keep Maslany out because they like Claire Danes better and Claire Danes only gets acting recognition because she knows how to "ugly cry".

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

BTW: In regards to how much Poe was / wasn't told...

I assumed She-Hodor was hesitant to tell Poe the plan because he was buddy-buddy with a Stormtrooper. The plan required absolute secrecy. They didn't want to risk the plan going from Poe to his "traitor" buddy who may leak it back to the First Order.

Actually-- something kinda bugs me. How in the hell did Hack://Stutter dude learn the plan? He sold the Rebellion out to the FO by telling them about the cloaked ships. But how did he know that? He wasn't part of the plan, or the rebellion. The only thing I can think of is that he spent his time hacking around the Rebellion's computers during his off time, figure out what was going on, then sold to the highest bidder?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

lornekates posted:

I assumed She-Hodor was hesitant to tell Poe the plan because he was buddy-buddy with a Stormtrooper. The plan required absolute secrecy. They didn't want to risk the plan going from Poe to his "traitor" buddy who may leak it back to the First Order.

Actually-- something kinda bugs me. How in the hell did Hack://Stutter dude learn the plan? He sold the Rebellion out to the FO by telling them about the cloaked ships. But how did he know that? He wasn't part of the plan, or the rebellion. The only thing I can think of is that he spent his time hacking around the Rebellion's computers during his off time, figure out what was going on, then sold to the highest bidder?

It kinda doesn't fly because Finn is seen as a hero, as shown by Rose's gushing in the beginning. It's just a weird contrivance. You could argue that it ties into the theme of failure but in the context of this movie, it's execution is kinda bad. The later I attribute to a plothole.

The best thing RLM said about the film is that it's messy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked Death Note 2017 because while it had some calls to the anime, it didn’t feel like I was watching the same thing and I absolutely believe that Light Turner had the exact same God Complex that Light Yagami did.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

lornekates posted:

I assumed he overheard one of the conversations Poe and Finn had over the little communicator.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

lornekates posted:

She was hesitant to tell Poe the plan because he started off the movie disobeying orders and getting a bunch of important people killed and costing them a bunch of critically important equipment because he's a hotshot who thinks you can win a war with flashy heroics. This is more than enough reason not to trust him, because she would have no way of knowing if he would go along with her plan once he knew it, and as you said the plan required absolute secrecy so if he disagreed with it then he could instantly ruin it.

Plus, you know, as his superior officer in a military organization Poe is not entitled to know her plans, and she's under no obligation to tell him while he absolutely IS under an obligation to do whatever the hell she tells him to.

I Before E posted:

I assumed he overheard one of the conversations Poe and Finn had over the little communicator.

Its this.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
On my second viewing I noticed they made it very clear that DJ was paying attention to Finn's call with Poe on the way back from Canto Bight. The edits draw attention to it.

Also, in regard to Holdo/Poe:

Sanguinia posted:

She was hesitant to tell Poe the plan because he started off the movie disobeying orders and getting a bunch of important people killed and costing them a bunch of critically important equipment because he's a hotshot who thinks you can win a war with flashy heroics. This is more than enough reason not to trust him, because she would have no way of knowing if he would go along with her plan once he knew it, and as you said the plan required absolute secrecy so if he disagreed with it then he could instantly ruin it.

Plus, you know, as his superior officer in a military organization Poe is not entitled to know her plans, and she's under no obligation to tell him while he absolutely IS under an obligation to do whatever the hell she tells him to.

It's pretty much this. It's really not that complicated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

Yeah, there's a bit where the camera lingers on him while Poe's telling Finn what's happening.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its still a frustrating solution when that same hotshot already has proven his mettle by detonating a dreadnought that could have wiped the entire fleet out. Or, you know, goddamn Starkiller Base. Not only has Poe proven his loyalty, but he's also proven his competence. If not as a leader, than at least as a soldier. Just hit him with a no fly order, take the X-Wing keys, and tell him the plan so that if he fucks it up for you at least you know how he'll gently caress it up.

If you're worried about moles, the guy who fried Starkiller Base sure as hell isn't it. If you're worried about bugs, then just talk to him in the room where you coordinated enough of the ship's crew to fill every single escape ship. If you're worried about him disagreeing, brig him when he cries foul. You won't get a mutiny if you don't give them reason to mutiny, and Holdo gave them so many reasons with her silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Bee posted:

Its still a frustrating solution when that same hotshot already has proven his mettle by detonating a dreadnought that could have wiped the entire fleet out. Or, you know, goddamn Starkiller Base. Not only has Poe proven his loyalty, but he's also proven his competence. If not as a leader, than at least as a soldier. Just hit him with a no fly order, take the X-Wing keys, and tell him the plan so that if he fucks it up for you at least you know how he'll gently caress it up.

If you're worried about moles, the guy who fried Starkiller Base sure as hell isn't it. If you're worried about bugs, then just talk to him in the room where you coordinated enough of the ship's crew to fill every single escape ship. If you're worried about him disagreeing, brig him when he cries foul. You won't get a mutiny if you don't give them reason to mutiny, and Holdo gave them so many reasons with her silence.

It's not loyalty, it's basic leadership ability. HE brings 'loyalty' in it assuming a general who's hugely respected as the princess' number two must be a literal traitor because she told him to shut up.

• Locked thread