Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tesla and btc, 2 great tastes that taste great together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Fauxtool posted:

tesla and btc, 2 great tastes that taste great together
Maybe Elon Musk will work on weather-control technology next (hey, he's already got rockets). If Musk can reduce the cloud-cover in Seattle then Tesla would be able to sell more solar-powered shingles up in that region that way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol @ talking about environmentalism in the crypto mining thread

bitcoin singlehandedly nuked any hope of ever slowing down climate change, hold onto your butts cause we're heading into the cryptocurrency future and it's going to be hot as fuuuuck

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
https://www.nicehash.com/news/227

We’ll see how this plays out. Sounds too convenient to be true.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
old news, might as well give us all your btc since you are so far behind the news cycle

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Can't wait until coinbase gets mt.goxed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Operated by a charming frenchman and his cat?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

QuarkJets posted:

Operated by a charming frenchman and his cat?

Yes, let's go with that. Mark did nothing wrong and looks fabulous after his "diet."

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My Threadripper is making more butts than my GTX 1080 right now. Maybe I should mine some Monero directly just for the heck of it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you finally get all the cores recognized or is it still just seeing half?

Im really enjoying all this mining stuff not because im speculating on it or im a true believer but because it allows me to buy slightly nicer hardware than I actually need.

I built a work computer instead of picking up a $400 dell prebuilt i5 and slapping a weak pci-e powered GPU in it. I got a ryzen 1600 and a rx580 instead and its already most of the way towards paying off the price difference with the bonus of having another capable gaming rig afterwards. That is, as long as the PSU doesnt go up in smoke and take everything with it.

I also got to experience the "pleasure" that is AMD drivers and everything being in some sort of beta. Wont be making that mistake again!

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 29, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah I switched to xmrig for Monero mining :shobon:

I can get pretty close with xmr-stak and ccminer by playing with CPU affinities and threads but they still perform about 200-300 h/s slower than xmrig.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Is Monero CPU only? I’d like to try it

Fauxtool posted:

Im really enjoying all this mining stuff not because im speculating on it or im a true believer but because it allows me to buy slightly nicer hardware than I actually need.

I built a work computer instead of picking up a $400 dell prebuilt i5 and slapping a weak pci-e powered GPU in it. I got a ryzen 1600 and a rx580 instead and its already most of the way towards paying off the price difference with the bonus of having another capable gaming rig afterwards. That is, as long as the PSU doesnt go up in smoke and take everything with it.

I also got to experience the "pleasure" that is AMD drivers and everything being in some sort of beta. Wont be making that mistake again!

Yeah but imagine if you spent a lot of money to build a farm of those machines, just how much more would you earn?! 🤯

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Monero is GPU, just like everything else that can't be affordably ASIC-mined

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Monero is CPU and GPU. Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9 Ghz is almost as fast as mining on a GTX 1080, and a threadripper 1950x is almost 2x as fast as the GTX 1080.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Nvidia cards shouldn't be doing cryptonight at all.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nvidia cards shouldn't be doing cryptonight at all.

Yeah I know, I was just using that as an example.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is it okay to use nicehash? Did they give me all my btcmoneys back?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Is it okay to use nicehash? Did they give me all my btcmoneys back?

they will totally give everyone's money back by 31 January 2018!

sorry, they will announce when it is they will give everyone's money back by that date

so sorry, payment minimum has been raised again, we are investigating altcoins

please trust us

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I've made :10bux: with winminer so far, will be exciting to see if paying out to paypal actually works once I get to $20

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TheFluff posted:

I've made :10bux: with winminer so far, will be exciting to see if paying out to paypal actually works once I get to $20

It does. Winminer pays out legit. Their scammy bit is they seem to pay a bit too low compared to everyone else, so presumably they're skimming a good chunk off the top. But at least you can actually cash out at reasonable rates.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Im not sure its as scammy as it is... hobby level programming I guess is one way to put it. I like a lot about it but it definitely stopped a lot, coin switching was pretty poor and slow, benchmarking was just weird, and didnt utilize all the resources when it was going (which is a benefit for others though).

But they pay you !!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I've been out of touch for a long while, so I want to know has NiceHash finally got its poo poo together and brought back its servers?

I've been mining monero on MinerGate for the last few weeks and it's going steady.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any worthwhile income to be had with two 980ti's? I have low energy costs.

e: And not enough heating in my apartment :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

Im not sure its as scammy as it is... hobby level programming I guess is one way to put it. I like a lot about it but it definitely stopped a lot, coin switching was pretty poor and slow, benchmarking was just weird, and didnt utilize all the resources when it was going (which is a benefit for others though).

But they pay you !!

Yeah, I was going to say, it is definitely hobby-level programming and some of it can simply be less-optimal switching, poor auto-selection of intensity presets, that kind of thing.

The other thing is that Nicehash is not really mining on a pool in the normal sense, it is paying out money that other people pay to use the network, not block rewards generated by the mining. Auction formats tend to result in overpayment - the person who overvalues the item the most gets it. Further, they could be using the hashrate to mine altcoins that have higher returns but are more of a pain to handle directly. So, there's a variety of reasons that Nicehash could generate higher payouts than normal pool mining even if Nicehash weren't a hobbyist-level piece of crap.

(plus, they want people to use Nicehash so they can run away with the money again)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

check whattomine and then mine that coin directly or use something like winminer and subtract 20%.

I prefer multipoolminer but setup is a little more involved

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

VelociBacon posted:

Sell them and buy ripple

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
So far I have found the Pascal series (10xx) of cards is pretty great at mining Equihash, Lyra2REv2 and NeoScrypt algorithms (z coins, hush, bitcoin gold etc...). ROI on these cards is usually around 3-5 months. Not bad considering the lower power consumption, less AMD driver + bios fuckery and better overall gaming ability / resale.

CPU mining is also doing good on Cryptonight algorithms (especially Electroneum). Pulling in about $2.50 USD per day on an 2600K, a 3930K and an OC'd 5960X combined. Note that I don't really care a lot about power consumption as all electrical cost offsets my gas bills for heating, and I pay something like 6 cents per kWh at all times. I'll likely disable all the CPU mining in the summer when using AC as it's unlikely CPU will be profitable at that point.

Anyways out of the mining platforms - So far I've tried:

Nicehash - seems to be a giant ponzi scheme as most of you have discussed, realistically, none of us outside of a 10K+ mining operation will ever see a payout again. Never saw anything out of those guys for the month or so I mined with them. I really like the idea behind this application, but the execution and those behind it are dubious at best.

Winminer - Really really low rates per day, and on top of that Winminer seems to skim a good 20-25% on top... and on top of that, you get hit with the 3% Winminer withdrawal fees, and something like 5% PayPal fees... but they actually pay out unlike Nicehash. I'd recommend this at the moment if you want a simple 1 click easy to user miner with a fairly direct link to your bank account.

Awesome Miner + MPH - This seems to be the right thing to do at the moment if you have a good amount of hardware. Setup is slightly more complex and some thought is required as to how you will cash out those coins you are mining. Extra effort required to setup the whole payout chain from MPH / Awesome Miner to
whatever wallet you are using to an exchange to your PayPal / bank account.

Deathreaper fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 30, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Those sites don't have 980ti's on them...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Benchmark or google your hardware's hashrate for the algorithms you want to run :monocle:

e: I tried to mine some SUMOs and I watched the network hashrate double in the span of 2 hours so uhhhh

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 30, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Just install NiceHash miner and let it run for about 14 months which is when you'll get the minimum payout. It's easy as pie!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VelociBacon posted:

Those sites don't have 980ti's on them...

A 980ti is performance wise pretty equivalent to a 1070, but uses more power.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Benchmark or google your hardware's hashrate for the algorithms you want to run :monocle:

e: I tried to mine some SUMOs and I watched the network hashrate double in the span of 2 hours so uhhhh

A lot of the coins that spike to the top of whattomine's current-profit/current-difficulty chart are experiencing big swings in either difficulty or value, even in general but particularly for coins with very small networks and very small market caps. It's generally better to mine a coin with a much larger cap and a relatively flat difficulty even if it's like 10% less profit up front, just because you have more of a guarantee that it's not going to drop 30% in value by the time your pool is cashing out at the exchange.

This is why pools tend to curate their algo-switch lists.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 30, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

A 980ti is performance wise pretty equivalent to a 1070, but uses more power.

Lyra2rev2 algo comparison:

980 Ti: GPU #0: 1215 MHz 148.70 kH/W 195W 46C FAN 68%
1070: GPU #0: 1942 MHz 219.10 kH/W 169W 60C FAN 69%

Both have their power limit tuned down to 80%. Seems like the 1070 should be running lower wattage but I don't know how accurate the reporting is in ccminer.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I've been mining ETC. Is there a compelling reason for me to mine ETH instead? The price of each seems to fluctuate roughly in parity with one another. The profitability is about the same. What am I missing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sneeze Party posted:

I've been mining ETC. Is there a compelling reason for me to mine ETH instead? The price of each seems to fluctuate roughly in parity with one another. The profitability is about the same. What am I missing?

When the coin wars start ETH loyalist drones will come for you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sneeze Party posted:

ETC is the fork where the person who "stole" the DAO funds gets to keep everything, ETH is the fork where the "theft" was reversed. That's the only difference. It's up to you whether that matters

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

What a simplistic view! Don’t you understand this is an ethical choice, because CODE IS LAW, thus if you can steal it, you can keep it because the code was not up to par.

Unless you’re the founder of Ethereum and directly affected, in which case those evil transactions will get reversed. But still, CODE IS LAW

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

well yeah that's I put quotations around theft and stole, cause really it was just someone coming along and extracting revenue in accordance with the terms of the DAO smart contract

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
And the winner is

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/7n5nrd/bitcoin_is_really_low_right_now/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
[Removed]

• Locked thread