Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bomber Crew trip report: this game may not be for me, but it might be for you. It's all real-time FTL crew management as you have to make sure your crew is at their stations, that you're releasing the bombs at the right time, etc - and this is fine, this sounds cool, except that the game also threw in the tagging mechanic, where you have to press space and go to a first person viewfinder mode where you have to set the camera on specific targets - waypoints, enemies, etc - for long enough for them to be tagged. Without tags, your turrets can't fire, your pilot won't know where to go, etc.

...I hate this mechanic. I'm still struggling to get the hang of the flow of the main game - sending my engineer to put out fires, telling my gunners to grab more ammo - and it's demanding that and I regularly pop out of the game to tag things. This is a pain in the butt!

So. So. It's a neat game in all other respects, with customization options, a campaign structure with enemy ace pilots to watch for, and more...but I'm struggling to figure out the flow of the game and manage tagging without losing my hair.

I don't like that you have to do it for enemy fighter planes. I suppose I understand why it's there, so you don't just get angry that you've arbitrarily been shot down (I say this under the assumption that the earlier you target something the higher chance it has of being shot down before it can damage you too much) but it still feels really clunky. Having said that, outside of the aforementioned arbitrary version of events where you'd just go "welp I guess I got shot down this time", I don't know how else to make that work. If you have it dependent on gunner skill, then I picture a situation where you'll find it impossible to progress because your gunners will inevitably start off being garbage (or you lose your good gunners and basically hit a wall), so I guess I understand why it's required. I just don't like how it feels.

The pilot directing version of that also feels a bit clunky, but it feels more like something you should just be paying attention to, because presumably you'd like to be able to redirect course for some reason on occasion, and not something that rubs me the wrong way.

e: New page, fine, I'll quote the drat post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The radio man gets auto tag but it's too short.
I never send anyone out for the engine fires unless it's the last engine,
Gunners only need the R key - they'll get ammo and return to the station.

My Bomber Crew trip report: my bomber has exploded mid-air during Operation Overlord. Minimal damage from the MGs on the coast of the channel, no leaks, no dead engines. Just BOOM. All crew instantly dead, no survival roll either.

The replacement bomber is a small step back, and the new recruits are the same levels as their predecessors, but they're all naked, and I haven't got any cash.

P.S. Make sure you have the ventral turret before you run into turret fighters which fly below you, match speed, and shoot your belly.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 27, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

markgreyam posted:

I don't like that you have to do it for enemy fighter planes. I suppose I understand why it's there, so you don't just get angry that you've arbitrarily been shot down (I say this under the assumption that the earlier you target something the higher chance it has of being shot down before it can damage you too much) but it still feels really clunky. Having said that, outside of the aforementioned arbitrary version of events where you'd just go "welp I guess I got shot down this time", I don't know how else to make that work. If you have it dependent on gunner skill, then I picture a situation where you'll find it impossible to progress because your gunners will inevitably start off being garbage (or you lose your good gunners and basically hit a wall), so I guess I understand why it's required. I just don't like how it feels.

The pilot directing version of that also feels a bit clunky, but it feels more like something you should just be paying attention to, because presumably you'd like to be able to redirect course for some reason on occasion, and not something that rubs me the wrong way.

e: New page, fine, I'll quote the drat post.

I see your points and I get it, but I can't help but shake the feeling that there's a fundamental design flaw here, when the game forcibly drags me outside of the ship to tag things with a completely different skillset from what it demands inside the ship. Plane. Too much FTL

I don't know. They're polishing what they have quite nicely and I'm going to play more, but... hrr. I wish they'd thought of something more elegant back when they were putting this together.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's my birthday A new (and hopefully less lovely) year is coming soon, and I still have :siren:gifts to hand out:siren:

Add me:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Tell me your SA name, and you'll get something good (unless you don't).

In return, please ride the Gift Train or do a short writeup of the game.

(There's no need to post that you've added me in the thread or to PM me)

(Seriously, I need less than 30 extra goons for a nice round 100 giftees. I'm highly dedicated to this arbitrary goal I came up with 5 minutes ago)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I see your points and I get it, but I can't help but shake the feeling that there's a fundamental design flaw here, when the game forcibly drags me outside of the ship to tag things with a completely different skillset from what it demands inside the ship. Plane. Too much FTL

I don't know. They're polishing what they have quite nicely and I'm going to play more, but... hrr. I wish they'd thought of something more elegant back when they were putting this together.

Make sure to check all the hotkeys for the slowdown and plane views and whatever. It really is a game about hotkeys, kind of like Cook, Serve, Delicious!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I was given a bunch of Steam cards this year so I've amassed a list of games I've put off getting. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this list. Any games that jump out as not great?

I figure the only ones I'm sure on are Shadow Warrior 2 and Watch_Dogs 2. Anything else I'm not 100% sure of.

Why the hell does that DX collection have everything except Human Revolution? (Unless you already have that I guess). Anyway I'm here to sell you on that, MD is great, IW is okay-better than people really thought, imo, it got shat on because it doesn't live up to DX but it's still decent enough on its own merits-and the original Deus Ex is literally one of the greatest games ever made. HR is really great too, a bit better than MD and that's no slouch at all.

e; poo poo I actually came here to ask a question.

SimAirport and Airport CEO; which do I get? I know they're both EA but they're also a hundo percent my genre.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
any opinions on Battle Brothers?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mister Adequate posted:

Why the hell does that DX collection have everything except Human Revolution? (Unless you already have that I guess). Anyway I'm here to sell you on that, MD is great, IW is okay-better than people really thought, imo, it got shat on because it doesn't live up to DX but it's still decent enough on its own merits-and the original Deus Ex is literally one of the greatest games ever made. HR is really great too, a bit better than MD and that's no slouch at all.

I would assume they already have HR because I just checked and the bundle does include it. For the record, MD is one of the PS+ games for January if you have a PS4

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Yeah the only reason I'm getting DX collection is because I played DX:HR and was surprised how much I liked it, so I figured I'd like the newer one. I've played the first two, and I liked IW well enough.

SW and Ylands are now off the list, so I've added a few smaller games like Cryptark, Volstok Inc., Little Kings Story, and The Magic Circle.

Thanks for the help with this.

Also I got The Precursors from Xander77 so thanks very much for that. I'm going to give it a go later today and see how it goes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Insanely good, fun to learn, the writing gets grimdark in unfun ways but the rest of it is easily one of the best tactical team-based games you'll ever play.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

It's fun, but limited. I got a bunch of hours of enjoyment out of it but it's quite difficult and the early game is pretty boring. It has some real weird quirks that make it less fun for me, like how armor is HP that you burn through and once you do it's broken, so one of the best ways to get gear is to equip daggers which bypass armor. Sadly the game is built around quirks like these and taking advantage of them is mandatory. The overworld is a lot like mount and blade where you're scrabbling around trying to earn enough money not to go broke. Your guys don't have enough 'abilities' so a lot of the combat is just running away to high ground and making the enemy come to you, then just attacking them when they're in range.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Battle Bros was one of my two favorite games I picked up last year. It's a fantastic tbs with a half decent economy setup. It can get incredibly difficult if you suffer a big loss or don't progress properly (hiring more bros ramps up difficulty some, so if you try to fill all your slots early you'll face more and better armed opponents who will chew through your under geared line) but once you get the rhythm of the game it's incredible.

Also, Xander77 was kind enough to gift me a copy of "You, Sir, are being hunted" a charming get murdered by robots on a desert island while attempting to escape simulator. On my first play attempt I tried to swim to a separate island only to get attacked by robot arms, barely managed to make it back to shore but desperately needed to eat so I tried the half rotted rat I'd found earlier and died. Difficult, fun, and pretty funny in a messed up kinda way.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Also I got The Precursors from Xander77 so thanks very much for that. I'm going to give it a go later today and see how it goes.

I played through this a couple of weeks ago. It's great if you're into janky games. But do install the unofficial patch (directly into the game directory) before you start. I also had to disable desktop composition for the executable as well, otherwise it didn't start. Mileage may vary, etc.

edit: If you end up sticking with it I posted some impressions as I played in the charming jank thread (which could use a bump frankly :)).

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 27, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know what if any of there future plans are for the first game, but it's a very, very solid experience and some would argue its better than the sequel in terms of how the main campaign works. Plus with how faction balance plays out I think the races of the first game are more varied and interesting. I highly recommend it if you like the Total War games at all.

Thanks, I love the Total War games and this was all the encouragement I needed :)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Is anyone swapping Steam Awards cards? I'm interested in trading - I've got over 60 of them and still no full set.

If so, here's my trade URL - https://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new/?partner=37453228&token=JOUvSeoE

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gromit posted:

Is anyone swapping Steam Awards cards? I'm interested in trading - I've got over 60 of them and still no full set.

If so, here's my trade URL - https://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new/?partner=37453228&token=JOUvSeoE

Sent you a trade. Not sure if it's the one you need, but... good luck!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gromit posted:

You should be good now.

Edit - how the Hell did you get that many without a set?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Thanks guys, that's great.
I guess the RNG thought I wasn't worthy this year.

Happy to do further trades at that URL. Obviously I'd rather shift the Xmas cards I have a ton of for ones I have little or none of.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 27, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lakbay posted:

Any $7 and under obscure, quirky RPGs in the vein of Creepy Castle and Nadia was Here I should look into?

It may not closely mirror either of those games but LISA currently fits the bill as a quirky, semi-obscure RPG that's under $7 (actually $3.99 right now).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks, I love the Total War games and this was all the encouragement I needed :)

Also I believe they plan on linking the games (including the eventual third one) together so you can play on one giant gently caress-off campaign map. As I understood it, the different iterations are more about sectioning off armies and regions than any deeper chicanery.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Gromit posted:

Thanks guys, that's great.
I guess the RNG thought I wasn't worthy this year.

Happy to do further trades at that URL. Obviously I'd rather shift the Xmas cards I have a ton of for ones I have little or none of.

These trading bots could help you out too.

Eiscream

Aozora

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

John Murdoch posted:

Also I believe they plan on linking the games (including the eventual third one) together so you can play on one giant gently caress-off campaign map. As I understood it, the different iterations are more about sectioning off armies and regions than any deeper chicanery.

Correct. Owners of both released Total Warhams can currently play the Mortal Empires campaign in the second game which mashes the two into one giant, slightly truncated sandbox. DLC from the first still applies.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Picked up Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2 in the PSN sale. The original for Vita was pretty sweet so I'm excited to play these on le quad

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I picked up Dishonored 2.5, Prey, and someone gifted me Wolfenstein 2 which runs like an rear end on my pc.

I guess what I’m saying is Bethesda got some of my money this holiday season.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Distant Worlds: Universe: I haven't had such a pure experience in terms of looking at a series of systems and numbers that I do not understand and then having to actually work to watch where things go, and figuring out why, and how...

For example: I was watching my fully automated empire go about its business and I picked a random transport system and just watched it for a while. It was ferrying Caslon to a new colony, and to figure out why I had to read the in-game wiki to understand that oh. Oh! New colonies need specific resources to grow at their top speed, and Caslon is one of them. It's not due to the colony building ships or something else. Which led to watching a construction ship build a mine over a gas giant, which was like 40/60 Caslon and Hydrogen, and both resources are essential to helping colonies grow.

Stuff like that - the logistics, the logic of it all. The vast AI that's controlling this empire isn't good at explaining itself - no "I'm building this here because of x" - but watching it work while reading bits and pieces from the wiki are helping me understand it.

I don't know if I'll ever progress to being able to competently play this game, but right now just watching and learning is fascinating enough on its own.

(Also it reminds me of Stellaris a little? With a worse UI and more indepth stuff. That classic loop of explore the galaxy, build colonies and mines, etc. The 4X loop, in other words.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

StrixNebulosa posted:

Distant Worlds: Universe: I haven't had such a pure experience in terms of looking at a series of systems and numbers that I do not understand and then having to actually work to watch where things go, and figuring out why, and how...

For example: I was watching my fully automated empire go about its business and I picked a random transport system and just watched it for a while. It was ferrying Caslon to a new colony, and to figure out why I had to read the in-game wiki to understand that oh. Oh! New colonies need specific resources to grow at their top speed, and Caslon is one of them. It's not due to the colony building ships or something else. Which led to watching a construction ship build a mine over a gas giant, which was like 40/60 Caslon and Hydrogen, and both resources are essential to helping colonies grow.

Stuff like that - the logistics, the logic of it all. The vast AI that's controlling this empire isn't good at explaining itself - no "I'm building this here because of x" - but watching it work while reading bits and pieces from the wiki are helping me understand it.

I don't know if I'll ever progress to being able to competently play this game, but right now just watching and learning is fascinating enough on its own.

(Also it reminds me of Stellaris a little? With a worse UI and more indepth stuff. That classic loop of explore the galaxy, build colonies and mines, etc. The 4X loop, in other words.)

If you can't muddle your way through then check out Das's videos on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImB1MBJeGLo He's a really good source for DWU guides and such.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

If you can't muddle your way through then check out Das's videos on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImB1MBJeGLo He's a really good source for DWU guides and such.

Thanks!

...If nothing else this game is really making me appreciate how good CKII's interface is in comparison. .... Mostly. CKII is still worse at telling you how many troops another realm has ready. DKU: "here it's right here you can tell that this empire is weaker than you" vs CKII "you need to click on your dude, then on the realm viewer window, then hover over it so you can see the troops he can raise. ALSO check his alliances and marriage ties and potential pals. ... what, you don't want to do all of this research? go ahead. go to war and lose"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Helith posted:

These trading bots could help you out too.

Eiscream

Aozora

I'll take a look, thanks. I usually use Steam Card Exchange, but the seasonal cards move so quickly the card I chose is no longer available. Maybe those bots work a bit differently.

e: worked a treat, thanks!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 28, 2017

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Talking about Stellaris, is there any chance I will like it if I never got into EUIV and CKII (mostly because they are too complicated)?

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Mystic Stylez posted:

Talking about Stellaris, is there any chance I will like it if I never got into EUIV and CKII (mostly because they are too complicated)?

Yes it is a much more streamlined game with nowhere near as immense a political focus (though it still exists but is kind of underwhelming imo)

It's really really good and you should play it but probably watch a video or two first just so you see the general jist of it in action

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Worldshatter posted:

Yes it is a much more streamlined game with nowhere near as immense a political focus (though it still exists but is kind of underwhelming imo)

It's really really good and you should play it but probably watch a video or two first just so you see the general jist of it in action

OK, nice! Any of the DLC necessary or should I wait to buy until I have a good grasp on the mechanics?

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Mystic Stylez posted:

OK, nice! Any of the DLC necessary or should I wait to buy until I have a good grasp on the mechanics?

You can get by with the base game but Utopia is 100% worth it and leviathans is cool too I guess

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Can anyone say anything by way of recommendation for either Card Quest or Unexplored? The Rock Paper Shotgun reviews of both seem quite promising, and I often find my tastes syncing up with RPS recommendations, but the art styles of the games are not immediately appealing to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Murdoch posted:

That's awesome, looking forward to disappearing into another few hundred hours of Total War :hellyeah:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

SW and Ylands are now off the list, so I've added a few smaller games like Cryptark, Volstok Inc., Little Kings Story, and The Magic Circle.

Magic Circle is a treat. It starts off as an eye-rollingly meta-satire sort of thing but comes into its own, has some unique mechanics, and fully encourages you to ""break"" the game as much as you can to dig up nuggets of additional lore. There's also an extra surprise if you stick with it to the end.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

McCoy Pauley posted:

Can anyone say anything by way of recommendation for either Card Quest or Unexplored? The Rock Paper Shotgun reviews of both seem quite promising, and I often find my tastes syncing up with RPS recommendations, but the art styles of the games are not immediately appealing to me.

Card Quest is extremely good. I was a bit apprehensive at first, too, but play it for 10-20 minutes and you'll see there's a lot of interesting depth to it. It also does not focus heavily on deck-building, though you can still mix and match different card sets and get a lot of variety out of it.

EDIT: Start the new year fresh by culling your wishlist. Ask yourself this: "Will I play it now?" If not, remove it. If the game is good enough, it will pop back on your radar. Otherwise you're just bloating your wishlist with stuff you'll never even touch.

If your wishlist is showing you the year when you've added the game, buy it or remove it. If you haven't bought it by now, you just aren't interested in it anyway.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 28, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

I've played a couple of Unexplored so far, and I'm enjoying it. It's a great blend of traditional roguelike exploration and experimentation with some Zelda-ish puzzles and combat. There seem to be a lot of interactions and cool stuff you can do. I did a bigger first impressions post here, but if you want some classic-feeling dungeon crawling presented in a new way, I'd recommend it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mystic Stylez posted:

DLC is all really good, none of it is necessary.

Also be aware a huge update is due, no date has been given yet but it's guessed to be sometime in the next couple of months, it's going to totally change combat and waging war. We're all super hype for it in the Stellaris thread, should be good times!

e; Bringing back this question for a new day:

quote:

SimAirport and Airport CEO; which do I get? I know they're both EA but they're also a hundo percent my genre.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 28, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Definitely pick up Open Sorcery for a buck and a couple hours of your time if you like CYOAs at all, the writing is good and clever and it has a couple of interesting twists.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The same goes for Cleansuit. If you've never played a text-based game, this is probably the best way to dip your toes into this genre, seeing as you have some visual aids to go along with the text.

• Locked thread