Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Isn't that what we do in this thread anyways

And we aren't even paid any delicious, delicious taxpayer dollars! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, there's a big enough chance he's not going to invite Trump that rumor are that Parliament is trying to negotiate this even though they really have no say either way. Markle at least has been heavy anti-Trump and Harry is personal friends w/Obama making this an even more sticky situation.
I'm no royalist, but Harry would get a huge amount of kudos in my eyes if he invited the Obamas and told Trump to gently caress off on the grounds that he encouraged the paparazzi to take naked photos of his sister-in-law.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Christ you nerds are still derailing about sandwiches? I leave for four hours to go see the new Star Wars movie and this thread still manages to be worse.

what a poo poo story. Who the gently caress is Snoke and why does he have power?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

^TLJ was good, suck it

Payndz posted:

I'm no royalist, but Harry would get a huge amount of kudos in my eyes if he invited the Obamas and told Trump to gently caress off on the grounds that he encouraged the paparazzi to take naked photos of his sister-in-law.

My american royalist mother has told me many times over this past year that the queen hates trump and none of the family likes him, but they do like the Obamas, so this is actually a possible scenario? I guess?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol, Roy Moore is suing. His argument is that it's suspicious that so many people voted for his opponent.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lol, Roy Moore is suing. His argument is that it's suspicious that so many people voted for his opponent.

I mean, in his head-math, he's only counting black people as 3/5ths of a vote

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SirPablo posted:

what a poo poo story. Who the gently caress is Snoke and why does he have power?

But now they can write a book/poo poo out a graphic novel about his origin story! ...because no one cares enough to see a movie about him.

JJ will take the easy road and make him an imperfect clone of Palpatine. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Erostratus posted:

Here's the thoughts that ran through my mind when I ate my $3 lovely soul food plate today:

"Boy I sure am glad I can afford to eat every day unlike when I was a child."

If you spend $20 on a plate of food rather than buy your local homeless schizophrenic brother a plate of food, you deserve the guillotine.

And yet you paid for a membership on a dead gay comedy forum, let alone getting plat.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

You're literally getting into the food snobbishness I was talking about it
I don't like X
Well, that's because you haven't had REAL X, you miqtoast white racist!

What the gently caress dude? Accept people like what they like, it's not a political statement. Well, I mean people do make it a political statement, but most people its not.

I grew up eating donairs, I've eaten in really cool western Chinese resturants where we had to request an english menu because they get so few non native speakers there and the decorations where Muslim but done in a chinese style. I've had Ethiopian and First Nations food.

Lol aloo gobi is a sabji, not "curry."

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Lots of people still haven't seen Return of the Jedi because we hate crowds.

Please keep that in mind when posting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Charliegrs posted:

Lots of people still haven't seen Return of the Jedi because we hate crowds.

Please keep that in mind when posting.

Not sure where you live that there are crowds for a 35 year old movie?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

quote:

In July 2016, Van Dyke said of Donald Trump, "He has been a magnet to all the racists and xenophobes in the country, I haven't been this scared since the Cuban Missile Crisis. I think the human race is hanging in a delicate balance right now, and I'm just so afraid he will put us in a war. He scares me."

I've been hesitant to check Dick Van Dykes wiki page for years because I was worried it was going to ruin all his chill characters for me but he seems pretty nice :unsmith:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

^TLJ was good, suck it

My american royalist mother has told me many times over this past year that the queen hates trump and none of the family likes him, but they do like the Obamas, so this is actually a possible scenario? I guess?

It was poo poo. The main plot is about a ship going in a straight line while a giant death fleet fire one laser every 5 seconds. It leans on the 4th wall twice to do it's dumb "actually there is no twist lol" bullshit. The good guys gently caress up every plan they have because the director is just going "remember empire strikes back? Remember?????????" in all scenes. Finn has been demoted to side character. They didn't know what to do with him so he goes on a stupid adventure to the giant doom ship and then promptly fails. Like everyone else. But it's ok because he gets to have a really lame fight with Phasma who they bought back for 15 seconds. Finn almost had a reason to exist in this movie except his love interest does the stupidest thing she could at a pivotal moment. If it wasn't for Luke everyone would have died/been captured. She almost doomed the resistance for LOVE. I get it. I'm not against emotions trumping logic but this scene was portrayed so badly it just fell flat. Rose just came off looking idiotic. I didn't want Finn to die either but i'd rather the scene didn't exist in the first place. The film approached greatness when Kylo offered Rey the chance to co rule a new 3rd way style empire. But no. Can't have that. So close. It would have made up for all the lovely jokes and not explaining anything about Snoke.

Yeah i'm not doing the whole ironic detachment thing when it comes to films having coherent plots. Maybe i'm part of a dying breed but I require coherence if i'm going to be able to form an emotional response to the story i'm seeing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regarde Aduck posted:

It was poo poo. The main plot is about a ship going in a straight line while a giant death fleet fire one laser every 5 seconds. It leans on the 4th wall twice to do it's dumb "actually there is no twist lol" bullshit. The good guys gently caress up every plan they have because the director is just going "remember empire strikes back? Remember?????????" in all scenes. Finn has been demoted to side character. They didn't know what to do with him so he goes on a stupid adventure to the giant doom ship and then promptly fails. Like everyone else. But it's ok because he gets to have a really lame fight with Phasma who they bought back for 15 seconds. Finn almost had a reason to exist in this movie except his love interest does the stupidest thing she could at a pivotal moment. If it wasn't for Luke everyone would have died/been captured. She almost doomed the resistance for LOVE. I get it. I'm not against emotions trumping logic but this scene was portrayed so badly it just fell flat. Rose just came off looking idiotic. I didn't want Finn to die either but i'd rather the scene didn't exist in the first place. The film approached greatness when Kylo offered Rey the chance to co rule a new 3rd way style empire. But no. Can't have that. So close. It would have made up for all the lovely jokes and not explaining anything about Snoke.

Yeah i'm not doing the whole ironic detachment thing when it comes to films having coherent plots. Maybe i'm part of a dying breed but I require coherence if i'm going to be able to form an emotional response to the story i'm seeing.

You're wrong and this is why America is in the state it's in.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

You're wrong and this is why America is in the state it's in.

Come on dude, Leah survives getting sucked into a vacuum by force-moving herself back to the ship, and Luke not only keeps being creepy when people are sleeping but decides to graphically milk some animal for some reason I can't figure out. And he has a real point about the worthless Finn side-plot.

This wasn't auteur filmmaking.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zore posted:

Not sure where you live that there are crowds for a 35 year old movie?

Either you're confusing this movie for something else, or are making a subtle jab at this movie being a carbon copy of Empire Strikes Back.

Either way, I dun like it! :mad:

And I haven't seen the movie, btw so watch with the spoilers!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Come on dude, Leah survives getting sucked into a vacuum by force-moving herself back to the ship, and Luke not only keeps being creepy when people are sleeping but decides to graphically milk some animal for some reason I can't figure out. And he has a real point about the worthless Finn side-plot.

I agree.

The movie gets worse and worse the more I think about it. Almost every set up plot point or idea from tfa is wasted or directly poo poo on by tlj, to the point where half the movie is pointlessly sidetracking the first and only black main character in the franchise. The movie tries to be funny every five minutes, totally incongruous to all the other movies, the plot makes little if any sense, and is a giant middle finger to the overall star wars idea and story. In many ways it's more offensive than the prequels. Tfa was fine. Rogue one was great in many ways. Tlj is a waste of every plot point and luke skywalker, the most iconic character of all. No wonder imdb is filled with rage and poo poo reviews.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’ve seen it three times and the movie gets better the more I think about it. Taste is a bitch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how there’s this gigantic gulf between the critics’ score and the audience’s score, and unlike most such cases it’s the critics who universally love it and the fans hate it

Personally I will root for it simply because alt-righters rally around Star Wars hate nowadays the same way they railed on about Women Ghostbusters

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

SirPablo posted:

Christ you nerds are still derailing about sandwiches? I leave for four hours to go see the new Star Wars movie and this thread still manages to be worse.

We know exactly as much about Snoke as we knew about the emperor before the prequels. You didn't need to have his entire backstory explained to enjoy ESB or RotJ, so why is Snoke's backstory so important?

The biggest problem with TLJ is that it's 2 hours of plot stretched to 2 hours 40 minutes by adding a bunch of filler and a pointless fetch quest to 1950s Monte Carlo, because nobody knows how to tell a story any more and thinks longer movie = better movie. It's a mediocre 3/5 that could have been a 3.5/5 with some editing.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 28, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TLJ is an absolutely average movie so it's weird to me that critics love it so much.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sweevo posted:

a pointless fetch quest to 1950s Monte Carlo, because nobody knows how to tell a story any more and thinks longer movie = better movie.

The point of space morocco was to refute all the worst elements of star wars story telling. It was the characters thinking they were genre savvy and doing things that made no sense but seemed like they should make sense because they would have worked in poorly written star wars stuff. I think it's a matter of taste if someone likes that, but I also think it made a bunch of people REALLY mad because they were invested in the less well written action movie tropes and felt the movie was calling them stupid or they just even missed that the tropes were stupid at all and just found the movie confusing.

Like instantly trusting a loveable quirky rouge would work because it's happened in like 400 other star wars books because it worked with han solo but it turned out a lying cheating criminal just lied and cheated you, and sneaking into the 400th empire glowy control tube room just fails because they put an alarm on it, and so on.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I will say this about The Last Jedi: Can people please stop trying to ape Joss Whedon? Or... y'know, don't try to poo poo all over dialogue? Like, warts and all, I didn't hate the movie.

I never was the biggest fan of the OG Star Wars trilogy, but I do enjoy them, to the point that I do not mind rewatching them with some friends at least once a year. They had a certain charm that's really hard to hate on. The Last Jedi, though? It's like it's trying to make me hate it. I don't mind smartass dialogue or 4th-Wall-breaking jokes/dialogue (I do, after all, love me some Gintama; plus that has the 2nd best Parody of Star Wars I've ever watched!), but it was unbearable in TLJ.

However...

Sweevo posted:

The biggest problem with TLJ is that it's 2 hours of plot stretched to 2 hours 40 minutes by adding a bunch of filler and a pointless fetch quest to 1950s Monte Carlo, because nobody knows how to tell a story any more and thinks longer movie = better movie.
This, this right here. This small paragraph distillates everything loving wrong with a bunch of the biggest mainstream movies in the last 2 decades, but especially Star Wars and both the MCU and DCEU. I would probably be exaggerating if I said this was all Peter Jackson's fault, but I know this whole thing, like Trump, is a symptom, not the root.

Thank you, Sweevo! :golfclap: I'm not being sarcastic. Sincerely, thank you for abridging the problem to a one-and-a-half line of paragraph. :)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/946314477108154368

This guy needs to gently caress right off.

I hope he gets immediately slapped down and this doesn’t turn in to the next republican strategy for disenfranchisement.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Is TLJ a better movie than TFA? Cause I really didn't care for that one.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

TFA was showing they could make a movie that was exactly like the originals and not like the prequels. TLJ was about showing they could do the opposite of everything in a way that is interesting but also falls kinda into a formula where you kinda can see by the end that they are just doing the opposite of whatever came before.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

It is, but if you didn't like that it's probably still unlikely you'll enjoy this one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Interweb posted:

A lot of people say yes, but when I left TLJ I was mostly disappointed, whereas I thought TFA, for its problems, was a lot tighter and better plotted

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jealous Cow posted:

I hope he gets immediately slapped down and this doesn’t turn in to the next republican strategy for disenfranchisement.

Well we all know he isn't one to take no for an answer...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Voter fraud" is one of those things that the Democrats should have spent a lot more time fighting against (also disenfranchisement in general). The Republicans have basically been calling any election they don't win inherently crooked for decades (I grew up hearing urban legends on how Democrats cheated elections) which has led to this point where somehow twenty thousand illegal voters in Alabama crossing from Mississippi is plausible and needs to be debunked (instead of proven) because obviously there's no way Roy Moore could have lost and the President who loving won is still claiming that millions did this in 2016. It's absolutely calling another yet American institution corrupted without any evidence when it doesn't go their way (see the FBI after they spent years using them to attack Hillary) and we've of course had to humor this constantly because implying the Republicans are lying and trying to cheat themselves is impolite.

Having people lose faith in our election system is a huge deal and I think the Democrats, like they do a lot of the time, incorrectly believed that since the truth was on their side they didn't need to commit to information warfare in order to correct the narrative.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Jealous Cow posted:

Just trying to gin up support for his PAC that he will grift on for the next 10-20 years.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jealous Cow posted:

Considering that the GOP apparently called foul on a house election that they'd already certified as a one-vote Dem victory in Virginia, I think they've already decided 'call bullshit on election results we don't like but are close enough to conceivably ratfuck' is already the GOP strategy going forward.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The biggest complaint I heard from people about TFA was that it's too similar to ANH. I can see that, and can understand the sentiment, but that specifically didn't bother me. The bigger issue was that I felt it did everything ANH did, but worse. I'll get into more detail in a subsequent post, but that was my gripe with it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Radish posted:

"Voter fraud" is one of those things that the Democrats should have spent a lot more time fighting against (also disenfranchisement in general). The Republicans have basically been calling any election they don't win inherently crooked for decades (I grew up hearing urban legends on how Democrats cheated elections) which has led to this point where somehow twenty thousand illegal voters in Alabama crossing from Mississippi is plausible and needs to be debunked (instead of proven) because obviously there's no way Roy Moore could have lost and the President who loving won is still claiming that millions did this in 2016. It's absolutely calling another yet American institution corrupted without any evidence when it doesn't go their way (see the FBI after they spent years using them to attack Hillary) and we've of course had to humor this constantly because implying the Republicans are lying and trying to cheat themselves is impolite.

Having people lose faith in our election system is a huge deal and I think the Democrats, like they do a lot of the time, incorrectly believed that since the truth was on their side they didn't need to commit to information warfare in order to correct the narrative.

Setting the record straight is great and all, but there's no way to go about it when the opposition completely ignores objective reality. It doesn't matter what facts or figures you put forth, because their entire line of reasoning is bullshit and they are completely aware that it is bullshit.

What you're proposing here is to spend a poo poo ton of money and effort to target the relatively small fraction of supporters that can still be considered reasonable, and I'm not sure it's worth it in the case of absurd claims like this.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Yes, in the sense that TFA was a burning dumpster fire, and TLJ is only a regular dumpster. It's bad, but not as bad

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

TFA was showing they could make a movie that was exactly like the originals and not like the prequels. TLJ was about showing they could do the opposite of everything in a way that is interesting but also falls kinda into a formula where you kinda can see by the end that they are just doing the opposite of whatever came before.

This is not accurate. They're still copying the original movies to an absurd degree

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Radish posted:

TLJ is an absolutely average movie so it's weird to me that critics love it so much.

I'm convinced Disney is giving kick backs. Sites like the verge, polygon and gizmodo keep posting articles every other day about how amazing and innovative it is for the star wars universe. To the point where, after seeing the 4th article from the same source (that usually devoted maybe one article to a movie) I was like "what's going on here?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Seriously they had 3 opportunities to kill Leia, the first one being the most emotional and best, and still left her alive for...reasons? Now they'll probably have a music montage to start Episode 9 where she dies fighting for the rebellion. Because man...that getting sucked out into space. I felt something at that moment. And then it's like, 'aaaaawww, poo poo.'

I'd go so far as to say every character who died was the wrong character to die. Snoke? Desperately needs more story. Plasma? Probably should have lived. Holdo? Oh yeah...we needed to see more of her.

I honestly liked the milking scene. Jedi are traditionally pretty passive-aggressive so watching him make a power play was good.

Not that it matters, but everyone knows Rogue One was the best Star Wars.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's less about fighting against "voter fraud" with facts, since that doesn't really matter and just means you are making a complicated argument which is harder to disseminate versus quick appeals to emotion which require no proof other than "I saw someone shady at my polling station!!" It's about making sure that you call it out as a lie at every opportunity so that the idea that it's true isn't allowed to fester. I would guess that the average voter (including non Republicans) definitely believes there's at least SOME level of voter fraud in the same way that most people believe that welfare fraud is a real problem. Republicans may believe that it's enough to swing elections but I bet that other people think that it happens more frequently than it actually does (which is so insignificant it might as well be zero).

It gets back to the root problem with a lot of our politics is we have one party acting in severely bad faith constantly and the other (along with the political media in general) pretending this isn't the case since they don't want the entire system to seem broken. Accusations that there is massive electoral problems should be an incredibly serious allegation but in America it's something that has just rolled off the tongue of every Republican politician for years and the response mostly has just been to shrug leading to the omnipresent impression that there's must be at least SOME truth to it.

Maybe calling it out every time they bring it up would have given it more power, but we are at the point where the President of the United States is using the years of lies as a flimsy justification for a commission to enact massive voter disenfranchisement so what they did wasn't the best way either.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 28, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

https://apnews.com/7c23d09eb6d4446a95c14e38ddaf2c65/Roy-Moore-files-lawsuit-to-block-Alabama-Senate-result

quote:

Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill told The Associated Press Wednesday evening that he has no intention of delaying the canvassing board meeting.

“It is not going to delay certification and Doug Jones will be certified (Thursday) at 1 p.m. and he will be sworn in by Vice President Pence on the third of January,” Merrill said.

Even the other Alabama republicans are saying "yeah shut up about voter fraud, stupid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KickerOfMice posted:

https://apnews.com/7c23d09eb6d4446a95c14e38ddaf2c65/Roy-Moore-files-lawsuit-to-block-Alabama-Senate-result

Even the other Alabama republicans are saying "yeah shut up about voter fraud, stupid."

Yeah the spread was so huge that there's no way to really steal this one without causing some real problems. The Alabama GOP knows they will have this seat back in 2020 so it's best to just move on and not let Moore bring more attention to this fiasco, but guys like Moore, Arpaio, and Trump are all about their own egos and don't play well when they finally don't get what they feel they deserve after a life of being handed everything.

• Locked thread