Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

When you're 75 you really stop giving a gently caress I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Meanwhile

quote:

Another year, another Boxing Day sales "record". If it wasn't, we would really be in trouble.

The $2.4 billion sales prediction from the Australian Retailers Association is in reality a measly improvement on the 2016 results, as is the $17.8 billion figure for the entire post-Christmas period.

After accounting for inflation and population growth, the extra 2.9 per cent, or $500 million, expected to flow into shops is actually a downgrade – despite NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian performing her best sales pitch in front of the cameras for a Boxing Day of "bumper trade".

Much to the frustration of Treasurer Scott Morrison, Australians have not been spending enough in the lead-up to a period when many retailers expect to net up to half their annual revenue and keep 1.2 million people employed in the $310 billion sector.

This is not just a problem for shopkeepers, but also for Treasury's tax receipts and the wider economy.

The fear of bill shock through rising energy prices, household debt and stagnant wage growth have all combined to make retail the underachiever of the Australian economy – and the retailers association knows it.

"All is calm, all is bright, Boxing Day sales a big delight," its statement read on Tuesday.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

In other words, move on, nothing to see here.

But the optimism masks the reality of Roy Morgan's weakest forecast since at least 2014, where it predicted a 3.6 per cent rise, followed by a 4 per cent forecast in 2015 and 2.9 per cent increase in 2016.

Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman described the numbers as "fairly strong", before adding an immediate caveat: "Talking to retailers, they'd been hoping it would be 4.5 to 5 per cent."

In a sign of just how nervous some businesses have become, shoppers in Sydney's Pitt Street reportedly queued from 3am to be the first in line – only to find there were no discounts in some stores this year.

Tellingly, the single biggest threat to retailers, the internet, is still classified as "other" on the association's sales forecasts.

It has the highest rate of growth of any category at 4 per cent, but it is also the least likely to have its proceeds go into Australian hands or employ local workers. And we have yet to see the full "Amazon effect" on Australian shores.

The Treasurer will be hoping the Christmas splurge turns around the most recent household consumption growth figures of just 0.1 per cent, the weakest result since the 2008 global financial crisis.

But if the downbeat predictions behind the "record" headlines from a typically optimistic peak body are anything to go by, I doubt many would be holding out much hope.

It's almost as if a functional retail sector is reliant on people actually getting decent pay

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
t r i c k l e
d o w n

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

So much for free speech

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Solemn Sloth posted:

So much for free speech

I think you mean so much for the tolerant left.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gay picnic defence posted:

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

hosed up if true

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.pedestrian.tv/money/opera-house-neighbours-ugly-security-measures-property-prices/

quote:

Those with property neighbouring the Sydney Opera House are concerned the price of their homes could be affected by the unattractive security bollards erected to protect pedestrians in the high-traffic area.

A nearby resident, John Henderson, says he and others living in the apartment building known as “The Toaster“ have attended meetings with Opera House staff to work through the issues.
“I know they are trying to figure out how to manage the traffic down there. They told us something was in the works,” he said. “They will have to do something soon; the residents don’t want to wake up and see those ugly bollards every morning, no one wants to see that.”

You can see the entire bloody harbour from there and you can't keep your eyes off a bit of concrete? Piss off. Do you call the cops every time the gulls take a poo poo in view of your balcony?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh no, those poor loving delicate babies!

Look at what they're being forced to endure:

The horror!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Birdstrike posted:

hosed up if true

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

SUBSCRIBE

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Foreign pilots will once again be allowed into Australia on working visas to help address a shortage that threatens to ground planes and cancel flights.

The occupations eligible for foreign worker visas were slashed during a government shake-up in April but from next month pilots will once again be granted access after concerns about the national shortage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/liftrss/status/946025567039651840/photo/1

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Mises.org run that story every year.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Foreign pilots will once again be allowed into Australia on working visas to help address a shortage that threatens to ground planes and cancel flights.

The occupations eligible for foreign worker visas were slashed during a government shake-up in April but from next month pilots will once again be granted access after concerns about the national shortage.

Kind of reminds me of the IT industry. I wonder if a lack of attractive remuneration for what is a fairly unusual highly mobile and potentially long-hours job could be an underlying cause? I noticed on the news they briefly suggested that it was more remote routes where they have had the issues, but they failed to go into the reasons for the shortage outside the training being 100k.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'We want people to do thing, but gently caress teaching them to do thing, they should just learn how to do thing in their own time and money. Welp, I guess we have to import people and pay them way less'.

Like, how many industries is it?

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

I suspect that is happening but it's not like the news does a great job in adequately and fairly covering both sides of this debate in any industry.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Severing posted:

Kind of reminds me of the IT industry. I wonder if a lack of attractive remuneration for what is a fairly unusual highly mobile and potentially long-hours job could be an underlying cause? I noticed on the news they briefly suggested that it was more remote routes where they have had the issues, but they failed to go into the reasons for the shortage outside the training being 100k.

I think its the barriers to entry. It's the same in a bunch of other fields too. For example we churn out a fuckload of nursing graduates but there aren't enough positions for them all to do their placements so we end up with a nurse shortage and we have to import a heap of foreign nurses to give old folk their kerosene baths. Having recently had a couple of elderly relatives in care I can say from experience that the imported workers are lovely but they don't have the training of their local counterparts.

It sounds like there is a similar problem with engineers. Businesses are screaming for engineers but none of them want to put the effort into training graduates (this might partly be due to the fact that a good number of engineering grads are fuckhead manchildren who no business in their right mind would employ, let alone spend money on).

With pilots I know the major commercial operators need 1000s of hours of experience before they'll even look at you, and the problem is that you either pay for that yourself or try to find a job doing some remote mail run. As I understand it, there are actually quite a lot of people graduating with a pilots licence but there aren't enough of those entry level positions they can go to build up the hours. Years ago I went on a scenic flight around Wilpena Pound and the pilot was a bloke who had moved to the middle of loving nowhere just to get his hours up enough to have a chance at a decent job.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

It sounds like there is a similar problem with engineers. Businesses are screaming for engineers but none of them want to put the effort into training graduates (this might partly be due to the fact that a good number of engineering grads are fuckhead manchildren who no business in their right mind would employ, let alone spend money on).

It's that whole thing of "entry level job, need 5 years experience and 2 masters degrees". Nobody wants to train anyone properly anymore (and especially not pay them while they're being trained) and instead wants ready-made workers. I think some of the bigger firms in a few areas are starting to realise that if you want good workers, you have to invest time and effort.

although yes a good number of engineering grads are entitled fuckwits

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Little Match Girl should be an inspiration to children anywhere: start thinking about becoming an economically productive citizen as early as possible.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

DancingShade posted:

The Little Match Girl should be an inspiration to children anywhere: start thinking about becoming an economically productive citizen as early as possible.

Less inspiration, more warning. Bootstraps or die.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Can someone give me the low-down on this "ADF spent $10B on weapons in the last four years" which the ABC has been running all loving day with zero context? Is it just a slow news day or what?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://fee.org/articles/3-reasons-millennials-should-ditch-karl-marx-for-ayn-rand/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
An anti-vaccination group has claimed that forcing parents to vaccinate their children is a violation of ‘religious freedoms’.

The Australian Vaccination Skeptics Network has told a parliamentary inquiry into religious freedom that some vaccines were made using human tissue from aborted fetuses and to use them would violate pro-life religious teachings.

Australian Medical Association Vice President Tony Bartone has told Sky News these claims are completely false.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

cheese-cube posted:

Can someone give me the low-down on this "ADF spent $10B on weapons in the last four years" which the ABC has been running all loving day with zero context? Is it just a slow news day or what?

ABC News: Why is money being spent on defence?
Military Industrial Complex Professor: They need to spend more money on defence.
ABC News: Sounds important. Is that a good idea?
Military Industrial Complex Professor: It's always a good idea to spend more billions on defence. The UK is spending less and look what's happening to them! You don't want to be like them do you. Of course not. In these dangerous and precarious times, Defence Needs All The Money. And it should be US hardware because our own defence industries cost too much.
ABC News: And there you have it - spend all the money on Operation Blow Up Dirt - defiantly a good idea.

Q: When HAS IT NOT been dangerous and precarious times?!?!?!? My guess is it's in the news because there's going to be a scandal about weapon procurements coming out next year.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

'We want people to do thing, but gently caress teaching them to do thing, they should just learn how to do thing in their own time and money. Welp, I guess we have to import people and pay them way less'.

Like, how many industries is it?

literally all of them, employers loving suck rear end, even huge multinational mega corps expect the government and individuals to pay for 100% of training

the really clever ones manage to make money off it too; see, for example, large businesses setting up an in-house training organisation and making it mandatory for employees to undertake training. the employees have to take out a loan to pay for the privilege of being trained by their employer, the government subsidises the loan and also pays the employer for being such a good corporate citizen and upskilling australians, and the employer laughs all the way to the bank.

keep in mind, this is with the vet loans scheme that has been fixed so it can’t be rorted

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Comstar posted:

Q: When HAS IT NOT been dangerous and precarious times?!?!?!? My guess is it's in the news because there's going to be a scandal about weapon procurements coming out next year.

I did notice in the pieces on ABC24 they repeatedly circled back to the whole "Australia buys all it's weapons from the US" thing but at the same time they tip-toed around the F-35 acquisition by the RAAF. Also they kept showing a still mock-up of a Raytheon SDB II. If there is a scandal and it involves Raytheon then loving lmao it will be a shitshow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

quote:

The Tele’s advice to female readers on how to meet a man – head for the prisons and gay bars December 27, 2017 3:57

Dr Mumbo doffs his cap to the staff at The Daily Telegraph in Sydney.

It can’t be easy publishing decent editions in the quiet news days that follow Christmas.

So that old demographic standby of how to beat the man drought is a reliable space filler – in today’s case plastered across pages 8 and 9.

So which “hotpots” (they may mean “hotspots”) does the Tele advise its female readers to head for, “where it’s raining men?”

First stop is Auburn North, where there are, The Tele informs us, 140 men for every 100 women. Of course, in order to meet those men, the women might also need to become a jailer to get into the Silverwater Correctional Complex. But who isn’t willing to pay that small price for love?

Second and third options suggested by The Tele? Darlinghurst and neighbouring Surry Hills , where there are 136 men and 133 men respectively for each 100 women. Although, Dr Mumbo does rather suspect that The Tele’s journos haven’t hung out on Oxford Street recently if they believe this location the best hope for its readers to meet somebody of the opposite sex.

Still, there’s always the fourth option, Junee, where there are 133 men for every woman. That’s the home of the Junee Correctional centre, of course.

https://mumbrella.com.au/tele-demographics-man-drought-prisons-gay-bars-491503

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Comstar posted:

ABC News: And there you have it - spend all the money on Operation Blow Up Dirt - defiantly a good idea.

Evil dirt must die! You never know what bugs and germs might be lurking in it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
How is all this shooty poo poo going to stop ISIS people from driving cars into pedestrians?

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

It will if they are dirt!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The next article down looks like a Harvey Norman ad dressed up like lovely journalism.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How is all this shooty poo poo going to stop ISIS people from driving cars into pedestrians?

Duh, you blow up the pedestrians with precision guided ordinance before the car hits them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I've always held that the greatest thing the ADF could ever do to make Australia safer is to issue their soldiers with shovels, hammers and saws and teach them how to build infrastructure in our dirt poor neighbours.

Clean water, electricity, an international school of the air, directly improve the lives of everyone around us. A million different way, big and small, to do the right thing.

You know, being the good guys.

Instead we're perfectly content to let even our vassal states, like Nauru, rot and suffer :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/LyleShelton/status/945549359147507714

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You see, when Jesus overturned the tables of the money-lenders, he was just trying to set the money free for the Right People. Yes, I'm sure it's in the book, Milton Friedman told me.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've always held that the greatest thing the ADF could ever do to make Australia safer is to issue their soldiers with shovels, hammers and saws and teach them how to build infrastructure in our dirt poor neighbours.

Clean water, electricity, an international school of the air, directly improve the lives of everyone around us. A million different way, big and small, to do the right thing.

Instead we're perfectly content to let even our vassal states, like Nauru, rot and suffer :(

We've done this in places like East Timor before successfully with our ADF.

We've even done this though private enterprise as well, including far out remote communities and islands off the north and west cost.

We could do more however.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What if we just take the budget for Medicare and AusPost and use that to buy more Collins subs, then we'll be safe from the refugees.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Skellybones posted:

What if we just take the budget for Medicare and AusPost and use that to buy more Collins subs, then we'll be safe from the refugees.

:yeah:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

Don't know but this is a friendly reminder to dob in all your annoying neighbours that just got drones and don't know the rules to CASA

Deregulate the drones.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Reconstruction task force Afghanistan
Mentoring task force Afghanistan.

Australia and the Dutch stayed behind while the Americans tromped off to yippee shoot Saddam.

Also look up the yearly AACAP http://www.indigenous.gov.au/news-and-media/announcements/department-defence-army-aboriginal-community-assistance-programme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks Today morning show. I really needed to know how many hours per week the average employee works to contribute to welfare payments. Very informative.

• Locked thread