Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

thrawn527 posted:

This is really tough to watch, but it's not like he'd have to do stunts (or dancing) to have a small part. I'm honestly guessing (and this isn't really an original idea, tons of people have mentioned it) that Episode XI will open several years after TLJ, and the first scene will be Leia's funeral. The scroll can end with something like, "...as our group of heroes gather to say goodbye to a fallen friend..." Then Lando could be there, as some big wig in the new Rebellion, and then head off to gather resources...or something. I dunno, I'm not a writer, but it wouldn't be hard to work him in.

Yeah, you don't need him running or jumping around. Have him at the memorial (flirting with Maz or something), and then sitting on a flagship commanding a fleet. Not a whole lot of movement required for either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JJ likes to make his actors run hard as gently caress in all his movies to show excitement and tension and action and poo poo so maybe it’s not bad Lando doesn’t show up. It’s lensflares and running.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

This is one really weird article. "The Last Jedi is currently making a ton of money. Is the franchise doomed?" Uh, no. I'm going with the old Daily Show rule of, "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered with No."

He (Scott Mendelson) is being sarcastic. At Forbes, there's two main movie writers as far as I can tell - Scott Mendelson and Rob Cain. Mendelson really liked TLJ (after not liking TFA) and Cain seems to have really disliked it (after having liked TFA, as far as I know). They both write updates on its box office performance, and Mendelson always puts a very positive spin on it while Cain is a lot more pessimistic. Increasingly, of late, they seem to have been skirmishing in their respective columns; Mendelson has been running all of these articles with titles that follow that template as a joke while Cain's have been a bit more along the lines of "other film writers are saying that TLJ has done well to make $400 million in North America in a fortnight; it hasn't".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

This is really tough to watch, but it's not like he'd have to do stunts (or dancing) to have a small part.

Yeah, he's still moving extremely well in that clip for being nearly 80, it's not like he's bedridden. And if he even was fit enough to do the kind of training needed to appear on Dancing with the Stars then he's probably not going to get exhausted just from doing a normal movie shoot (especially if it's a cameo)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

He (Scott Mendelson) is being sarcastic. At Forbes, there's two main movie writers as far as I can tell - Scott Mendelson and Rob Cain. Mendelson really liked TLJ (after not liking TFA) and Cain seems to have really disliked it (after having liked TFA, as far as I know). They both write updates on its box office performance, and Mendelson always puts a very positive spin on it while Cain is a lot more pessimistic. Increasingly, of late, they seem to have been skirmishing in their respective columns; Mendelson has been running all of these articles with titles that follow that template as a joke while Cain's have been a bit more along the lines of "other film writers are saying that TLJ has done well to make $400 million in North America in a fortnight; it hasn't".

Ohhh, that makes more sense.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
My biggest criticism I have is that I enjoyed most of the humor but some of it felt out of place. Of course I am an old balls in my 30s with a kid so what do I know anymore.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Almost certainly. There's also a third guy who sort of alluded to it.

I don't get why people keep equating box office DAMAGE with box office SALES. Even if the movie makes crazy bank if people ultimately are disappointed it will not only hurt the next movie but all the merchandising.

To be honest I think they should just can that Han Solo movie and eat the loss. It's unheard of but the franchise can't take another crowd-splitter or worse. I don't even think it could take another Rogue One.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be honest I think they should just can that Han Solo movie and eat the loss. It's unheard of but the franchise can't take another crowd-splitter or worse. I don't even think it could take another Rogue One.

I thought most people liked Rogue One.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't get why people keep equating box office DAMAGE with box office SALES. Even if the movie makes crazy bank if people ultimately are disappointed it will not only hurt the next movie but all the merchandising.

I don't disagree, but they're not gonna can anything, no chance. It seems like they're just gonna ride this thing out for however long it can take them, then when the first Star Wars bomb occurs, well ok they'll take that hit and maybe make some changes at that point. Until they see literal results in the actual box office numbers, as long as each one is bringing in a billion dollars, they aren't going to make those tough decisions.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

People like Rogue One

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

I don't disagree, but they're not gonna can anything, no chance. It seems like they're just gonna ride this thing out for however long it can take them, then when the first Star Wars bomb occurs, well ok they'll take that hit and maybe make some changes at that point. Until they see literal results in the actual box office numbers, as long as each one is bringing in a billion dollars, they aren't going to make those tough decisions.

I wonder what the lowest Solo can do from a PR standpoint will be. I think they've lowered expectations enough that they can sell $500 million worldwide as a success (I expect it will be lower than that, obviously), though given that the production budget has probably doubled with the reshoots, there's no way this movie's going to break even.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't even think it could take another Rogue One.

Yeah. Sure would be a shame if Disney rakes in another billion dollars in ticket sales. Would probably doom them.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Is copy/pasting IMDB screeds what people who can’t articulate their reasons for not liking movies did before linking RLM’s sex dungeon vids became popular?

If you don’t like a movie or any piece of art that’s totally fine! No one cares if something just isn’t your taste. But if your contention is that they are bad in ways of craft or performance than that requires evidence. It’s why I asked in the first place what was meant by “bad acting”, because that’s a fine shorthand for something, but when there’s disagreement then a discussion usually becomes about what, specifically the person thought was bad.

This interaction went

“It’s bad”
“How is it bad, do you mean?”
“It’s bad and in fact it’s up to you to tell me why it’s not bad”
“????”

You assume that it was a screed with no evidence. I identify that the phantom menace has bad acting with evidence: the film itself. I wrote my review before the RLM review. As gross and distasteful (and poorly aged) as those sex dungeon sketches are he makes good points.

The Phantom Menace is not a piece of art, its a poorly done piece of commerce, a failed hamburger. It isn't funny. It doesn't understand what made the original trilogy good. It's politics are muddled and incoherent. It offers a vision of a galaxy which is dissonant from the original trilogy in ways that are unfullfilling.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CountFosco posted:

The Phantom Menace is not a piece of art, its a poorly done piece of commerce, a failed hamburger. It isn't funny. It doesn't understand what made the original trilogy good. It's politics are muddled and incoherent. It offers a vision of a galaxy which is dissonant from the original trilogy in ways that are unfullfilling.

well now I really want to read the essay

edit: not being sarcastic

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ruddiger posted:

Anyone else get Spaceballs vibes when Poe pulled the space brakes and busted out that u-turn?
I did! Also when Finn and Rose got arrested for illegal parking I wanted them to say the Spaceballs version: eeee-legal parking

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CountFosco posted:

You assume that it was a screed with no evidence. I identify that the phantom menace has bad acting with evidence: the film itself. I wrote my review before the RLM review. As gross and distasteful (and poorly aged) as those sex dungeon sketches are he makes good points.

the galaxy is a very different place at the time of the prequels, in fact it's what lies at the very heart of the films

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Are we on food metaphors again?

I think the prequels are like Uncle’s solid BBQ, ambitious platter but over cooked. The regular trilogy is the bland flavorless McDonalds. This series is like Iron Chef, you don’t quite know what the gently caress but it either is balls awful like TFA or a modest good and commendable for taking a risk like TLJ.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

CountFosco posted:

The Phantom Menace is not a piece of art, its a poorly done piece of commerce, a failed hamburger. It isn't funny.

Of course it’s art.

CountFosco posted:

It doesn't understand what made the original trilogy good. It's politics are muddled and incoherent. It offers a vision of a galaxy which is dissonant from the original trilogy in ways that are unfullfilling.

It does understand, and deliberately makes different choices. (Do you honestly think George doesn’t know his own movies)

Politics ARE muddled and incoherent. The prequels are a nice mirror to reality.

Watching the fall of democracy is by definition less fulfilling than the inherent hopefulness of rebellion against tyranny

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
do my eyes deceive me or are there earnest prequel defenders itt? holy guacamole

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CountFosco posted:

You assume that it was a screed with no evidence.

I mean, all we can do is assume because you referenced this totally great review that says everything you want to say, but it is unfortunately not there anymore so you will just say the movie is bad poop and really bad. Also here's a food analogy about how bad it is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Smythe posted:

do my eyes deceive me or are there earnest prequel defenders itt? holy guacamole

Why wouldn't there be people who enjoy good films in a thread in the film discussion sub forum?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

The prequels are ok, pretty good in parts.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, all we can do is assume because you referenced this totally great review that says everything you want to say, but it is unfortunately not there anymore so you will just say the movie is bad poop and really bad. Also here's a food analogy about how bad it is.

you have to eat the food before it turns to poop

really makes you think

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's a crime Lando hasn't shown up yet but isn't the reason mostly to do with Billy Dee Williams being too old and a bit infirm at this point? Pretty sad because I would have to think if they could have had Lando, TLJ would be very different

Billy Dee was in great spirits when he was at the Star Wars Celebration this year but like he seriously doesn't look like he'd be suitable for a major acting role. Maybe I'm wrong. A simple and short Lando cameo would be goddamn criminal though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If they got Carrie Fisher and were happy with her performance, I can’t imagine Billy Dee would present exceptionally greater challenges. I don’t know about her general level of fitness, but she definitely had the voice of someone who was headed into the home stretch of an interesting life and the delivery of someone whose dramatic acting chops were a little rusty. Not that it was a bad performance at all, but you can tell she hadn’t been in anything for a while, and I can’t imagine Billy Dee’s situation is too much different.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This was probably the best Star Wars movie that could be made after the prequels; instead of running back to cargo cult OT mimicry it accepts the prequels’ lessons and (through Luke, Rey, Kylo) explores how to move forward towards something new. There’s a reason we get a quick recapitulation of the trench run at the start of the movie and end on a remake of the Hoth assault: Poe and Kylo fail in each case because they can’t look past the Star Wars pageantry to the real objective.

TLJ also made good on the decision to retread “massive Empire vs. tiny rebellion.” Both sides are consciously worshipful of their predecessors, so much so that Snoke is depending on Rey to follow Luke’s legendary example. The new characters struggle to learn from the last cycle and find a better way.

If the next episode proper is any good, this will be the best of the three trilogies - but only if you’ve seen the other two.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Am I the only person ever to get really annoyed they didn't even put a wind machine on the speeder so they're going like 200 mph with exposed helicopter like sides and nobody's hair is even blowing? For me that admittedly minor detail sums up why the whole battle looks like CGI masturbation with no care to the details beyond that. A small detail that literally personifies why the effects suck for me.

Again, you're just being disingenuous and either haven't watched it or are lying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP84r385kLc

I mean it seems incredibly silly for me to like, time stamp when we see hair blowing but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anPMzP2Xe0

Jump to 2m31s for Obi Wan, Anakin and Padme in the ship

...Why lie about the movie?

Smythe posted:

this is so tiresome

"people like...movies?!"

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 28, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

Again, you're just being disingenuous and either haven't watched it or are lying

You know, I think if somebody had addressed me as "my young padawan" for the better part of a decade, I probably would've turned to the dark side too.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean it seems incredibly silly for me to like, time stamp when we see hair blowing but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anPMzP2Xe0

Jump to 2m31s for Obi Wan, Anakin and Padme in the ship

...Why lie about the movie?

So I forgot a tiny bit of hair wiggle

Compare this high-tech cutting edge movie to one made years before it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

Why the gently caress does that look so much better? You can see that wind. Again it's a small detail but it is literally details like this that make a movie good looking, not 3D renders.

Stuff like this matters. One of the best, coolest little details in Game of Thrones is when there's a massive building explosion, you cut to a character miles away and there's like a half second burst of wind on them. It shows some actual consideration to the scene beyond "How many pew pew pews can we superimpose on this?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

If they got Carrie Fisher and were happy with her performance, I can’t imagine Billy Dee would present exceptionally greater challenges. I don’t know about her general level of fitness, but she definitely had the voice of someone who was headed into the home stretch of an interesting life and the delivery of someone whose dramatic acting chops were a little rusty. Not that it was a bad performance at all, but you can tell she hadn’t been in anything for a while, and I can’t imagine Billy Dee’s situation is too much different.

That's why I'm thinking it was Billy Dee's decision primarily. He may just not want to be seen on screen looking like an 80 year old guy who can't really act anymore. Dancing With the Stars is different, it's not him doing what he made a living off of for his whole career, it's just stupid fun.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why the gently caress does that look so much better? You can see that wind. Again it's a small detail but it is literally details like this that make a movie good looking, not 3D renders.

Wow, a Kubrick film looks better than one of the Star Wars prequels. I'm shocked.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

So I forgot a tiny bit of hair wiggle

Stuff like this matters. One of the best, coolest little details in Game of Thrones is when there's a massive building explosion, you cut to a character miles away and there's like a half second burst of wind on them. It shows some actual consideration to the scene beyond "How many pew pew pews can we superimpose on this?"

So your contention is that you like Full Metal Jacket more than Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

That's why I'm thinking it was Billy Dee's decision primarily. He may just not want to be seen on screen looking like an 80 year old guy who can't really act anymore. Dancing With the Stars is different, it's not him doing what he made a living off of for his whole career, it's just stupid fun.

Wow, a Kubrick film looks better than one of the Star Wars prequels. I'm shocked.

It was just an easy example but there's loving 90s Keanu Reeves action movies with way better care to the effects

Man the prequels look like poo poo and aged terribly to boot. Everything aside TLJ is a Goddamn beautiful movie.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

So your contention is that you like Full Metal Jacket more than Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones?

My point is if Lucas wasn't a hack-fraud he'd brought in some more Goddamn wind machines and toyed with the lighting on the actors instead of releasing a Sega CD Game as a movie, I guess

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

It was just an easy example but there's loving 90s Keanu Reeves action movies with way better care to the effects

Man the prequels look like poo poo and aged terribly to boot. Everything aside TLJ is a Goddamn beautiful movie.

The effects at the time were groundbreaking and, as time has proven, revolutionary. They haven't aged as well as some other, less ambitious films made around the same time, because Lucas was pushing things much further than they were. People watching Attack of the Clones at the time were extremely impressed by the effects.

Blazing Ownager posted:

My point is if Lucas wasn't a hack-fraud he'd brought in some more Goddamn wind machines and toyed with the lighting on the actors instead of releasing a Sega CD Game as a movie, I guess

Those guys are actually in a helicopter flying over a real landscape though. What Lucas was doing with the prequels could not have been accomplished that way. It's just dumb to compare Kubrick to Lucas, they're so different it's as if they worked in different mediums.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

The effects at the time were groundbreaking and, as time has proven, revolutionary. They haven't aged as well as some other, less ambitious films made around the same time, because Lucas was pushing things much further than they were. People watching Attack of the Clones at the time were extremely impressed by the effects.

This, basically.

George is whatever the exact opposite of “hack-fraud” is

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You're literally complaining that Star Wars doesn't have enough fans.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Those guys are actually in a helicopter flying over a real landscape though. What Lucas was doing with the prequels could not have been accomplished that way. It's just dumb to compare Kubrick to Lucas, they're so different it's as if they worked in different mediums.

i remember thinking the visuals were pretty awesome at the time. my dad said they reminded him of how it felt to watch the original movie back in '77. both movies now look like crap obviously but at the time they were rad

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Smythe posted:

Hell yeah, the prequels are good. They're not always as fun to watch as the OT and some parts are off-putting, but there's a lot in them of value and the essence of Star Wars is certainly there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

Those guys are actually in a helicopter flying over a real landscape though.

As much as I'm willing to go to bat for the prequels, let me be the first to admit that if AotC features authentic Galactic Republic and Separatist military equipment the they'd be greatly improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

As much as I'm willing to go to bat for the prequels, let me be the first to admit that if AotC features authentic Galactic Republic and Separatist military equipment the they'd be greatly improved.

If only Kubrick had decided he wanted to do a Flash Gordon/space opera film, we'd have faster than light travel by now because he'd have funded research on it just so he could go to a different planet to shoot the film.