Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I love Justin's soundboard. Imagine how much better every conversation would be if you had an ALL RIGHT NOW LISTEN button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mikedawson posted:

I love Justin's soundboard. Imagine how much better every conversation would be if you had an ALL RIGHT NOW LISTEN button.

resolve every discussion you don't want to have with I Put My Hand Inside A Toilet

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You can resolve plenty of high tension issues simply by asking how many girls and guys in the room like to get LIIIIICKED!?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Unbelievable how the brothers did a reprise on the Frosty question because they completely forgot they already covered it when I've been listening to this at least once a week this entire holiday season :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbDAImQPMU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I played bar trivia last night and the host said that she hoped "everyone had a good holiday, whether you celebrate Christmas or Candlenights or whatever" and someone got upset because they thought she was making fun of Hanukkah by calling it "Candlenights" :lol:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

are you saying Candlenights isn't making fun of Hannukah?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Hey what was the thing that Justin did voice acting in recently? Did that ever come out?

Watching this made me think of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gYzjIyRsQ

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Alaois posted:

are you saying Candlenights isn't making fun of Hannukah?

If you go back and listen to the origin of Candlenights, it's a cringey riff on Hanukkah, yeah. That's why they had to retcon the origin for the TV show to be about three brothers with very large dongs who were good at dunking basketballs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I don't think it's really making fun of anything. Christmas has candles as well, in the Advent wreath, and I wouldn't be surprised if other winter celebrations featured candles pretty heavily since it's typically darker for longer. But out of context, since Hanukkah is the one most directly represented by candles, it might sound like it is.

e: Oh, I don't remember the Hanukkah riffing. I'll have to go back and listen.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SpacePig posted:

I don't think it's really making fun of anything. Christmas has candles as well, in the Advent wreath, and I wouldn't be surprised if other winter celebrations featured candles pretty heavily since it's typically darker for longer. But out of context, since Hanukkah is the one most directly represented by candles, it might sound like it is.

e: Oh, I don't remember the Hanukkah riffing. I'll have to go back and listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AbCR-0pMZg

"What if Christmas was 8 days long, and instead of Jesus it's about oil, and we play with tops and eat flat potatoes and everyone has a bris?" :whitewater: This was super early MBMBaM, before the brothers figured out how to do ultra-inclusive comedy.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

creationist believer posted:

If you go back and listen to the origin of Candlenights, it's a cringey riff on Hanukkah, yeah. That's why they had to retcon the origin for the TV show to be about three brothers with very large dongs who were good at dunking basketballs.

Huh! News to me

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

timp posted:

Hey what was the thing that Justin did voice acting in recently? Did that ever come out?

Watching this made me think of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gYzjIyRsQ

It’s a very cute cartoon called OK KO. Justin played a wealthy supervillain literally made out of gold
https://youtu.be/Dv5QHaCU7Xg

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

creationist believer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AbCR-0pMZg

"What if Christmas was 8 days long, and instead of Jesus it's about oil, and we play with tops and eat flat potatoes and everyone has a bris?" :whitewater: This was super early MBMBaM, before the brothers figured out how to do ultra-inclusive comedy.

Yea I'm very happy that it evolved into the Panreligous, pansexual, personal pan holiday we all love but it absolutely started as a weird "THE gently caress IS THIS CHA-NUKKAH THE JEWS DO?!" joke which is far from the most offensive thing I've heard but it's just kinda a tired joke in general.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I thought the pest was a John Leguizamo passion project or something, is this not that?

It was, the character he plays in it was a prominent part of his one man show he did in the 90s.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

timp posted:

No, Trolls 2 isn’t out yet.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I'm very happy that it evolved into the Panreligous, pansexual, personal pan holiday we all love but it absolutely started as a weird "THE gently caress IS THIS CHA-NUKKAH THE JEWS DO?!" joke which is far from the most offensive thing I've heard but it's just kinda a tired joke in general.

Jews are funny dude, have you heard of Seinfeld?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://merryjane.com/news/jack-in-the-box-partners-with-merry-jane-to-launch-the-merry-munchie-meal

Next Munch Squad spotted.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
There haven't been eps due to holidays and I think a new TAZ is supposed to be up sometime soon. I'm not remembering things wrong right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're taking extra time to prep for doing the experimental arcs weekly. Today should be the Tacoma live episode, next week should be the next experimental arc.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever say when/if they are going to release the post-commitment ttazz?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/946493779833491457

Oop, missed this a few hours ago.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

TBH as a Jew who doesn’t do Christmas, even without knowing that Candlenights still makes me super uncomfortable. On the TV show they described it as rolling up all the other holidays and like. Chanukah is literally about fighting forced assimilation and we kind of have a long history of it and maybe we don’t want to give up our holiday like that even if we aren’t religious?

It’s made worse by the fact that Candlenights is still actually Christmas because that’s all the brothers know and love. I just kind of want to shake them a bit and tell them it’s ok for them to celebrate Christmas, I understand they love the holiday so much that they want to find a way to share it with everyone but for some of us it’s just not part of our culture and filing off the serial code doesn’t change that. They’re not being exclusionary by celebrating a holiday they love but it sure is something to expect people like me to jump at the chance to sing carols and talk about a gift-giving mythical creature and presents under a bush.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Candlenights always felt a bit forced to me, like it was a one off joke that shouldn't have come back

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

To me, Candlenights is a holiday defined only by the fact that it is a holiday. Other than that, the choice is yours. It’s not religious, unless you want it to be. How long does it last? From the moment you want it to start until the instant you get sick of it. Carols, bushes, Rockin’ Randy the Safe Sex Santa, these things are only a part of Candlenights if you want them to be.

So if Candlenights feels a lot like christmas, that’s because for the McElroys, it is. It doesn’t have to be though. That’s the beauty of it.

Anime_Ladies.html
Dec 13, 2017

by SA Support Robot
so it's nothing and they can stop talking about it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ok but the McElroys are the ones who invented it and effectively set the canon for it and act like everyone should want to celebrate it. Like listen to any of their candlenights shows, they are Christmas shows. That’s okay! But acting like they aren’t is weird.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Waffleman_ posted:

They're taking extra time to prep for doing the experimental arcs weekly. Today should be the Tacoma live episode, next week should be the next experimental arc.

Ok cool, seeing this and the tweet above I am glad to see I wasn't misremembering things. It's cool if they're a bit late, I've been preoccupied with Giant Bomb's stuff this week.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Organza Quiz posted:

TBH as a Jew who doesn’t do Christmas, even without knowing that Candlenights still makes me super uncomfortable. On the TV show they described it as rolling up all the other holidays and like. Chanukah is literally about fighting forced assimilation and we kind of have a long history of it and maybe we don’t want to give up our holiday like that even if we aren’t religious?

It’s made worse by the fact that Candlenights is still actually Christmas because that’s all the brothers know and love.

You should listen to the second most recent episode of Wonderful, where Rachel talks about her history with Hannukah and how Griffin has come to love it after being with Rachel and how it's definitely part of their family tradition now.

Not everything is so black and white.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Legs Benedict posted:

You should listen to the second most recent episode of Wonderful, where Rachel talks about her history with Hannukah and how Griffin has come to love it after being with Rachel and how it's definitely part of their family tradition now.

And because of matrilineality in Judaism, Henry is ethnically Jewish. Worth considering.

That said, if Candlenights is awkward or frustrating for you, that is valid.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
in conclusion, candlenights is a land of contrasts

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Perhaps the truth, is in the middle

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Malcolm is the truth

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Organza Quiz posted:

It’s made worse by the fact that Candlenights is still actually Christmas because that’s all the brothers know and love. I just kind of want to shake them a bit and tell them it’s ok for them to celebrate Christmas, I understand they love the holiday so much that they want to find a way to share it with everyone but for some of us it’s just not part of our culture and filing off the serial code doesn’t change that. They’re not being exclusionary by celebrating a holiday they love but it sure is something to expect people like me to jump at the chance to sing carols and talk about a gift-giving mythical creature and presents under a bush.

:rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oh gently caress off with this poo poo. People are going to have emotions about this sort of thing and detached, passionless disparagement is so loving 2005.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I just think the candlenights bit is worn out and tired.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

I did, and that’s cool and all but it doesn’t seem to have had any effect on what candlenights is.

Also if we’re doing matrilineality then Rachel isn’t Jewish so Henry isn’t either, but it’s generally more complicated than that these days so it’s not something to get hung up on.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 29, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hey man I know we have to flog ourselves weekly to prove we're not the dirty SJW tumblr kids but as a Jew myself I 100% get that feeling and it's super valid to feel a bit grossed out by a holiday (albeit a minor one) that was literally about fighting for our identity as a people being reduced to 'candlenights' and then rolled into the general panreligous pansexual personal pan experience. Like, I think "Candlenights" as it is now is adorable and it's super clearly from a place of inclusion and there's not a bigoted bone about it, but it is kinda a weird feeling to go from in real life actually celebrating Hanukkah to hearing a bunch of 'haha candlenights what even is that it's just whatever you want' jokes.

This candlenights episode was pretty great though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Do we know yet who's going to DM the next adventure zone mini-arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I want a Griffin's Amiibo corner with the Super Mario Cereal. An amiibo you can actually eat. Closure.