Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Basically she's a giant distraction and she needs to go away until after the next election cycle, just like all other losing candidates have traditionally done.

Send her to Vaes Dothrak to take her place among the crones of the Dosh Khaleen.

Honestly she hasn’t done much except a book tour. I don’t think she could be much less visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Riptor posted:

Sexism is okay if it's a joke!

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/944613785171501056/video/1

lol

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a breed of people in this thread that have a weird position where they believe all right wing talking points as absolutely true but also are left wing.

American leftism is forced to drink from a poisoned media well, yes.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a breed of people in this thread that have a weird position where they believe all right wing talking points as absolutely true but also are left wing.

There are plenty of right wing nut jobs who buy into naturalistic crap that would make the Green Party blush and are on board with pretty much every leftist corporate conspiracy theory too.

Xae fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 28, 2017

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Send her to Vaes Dothrak to take her place among the crones of the Dosh Khaleen.

Honestly she hasn’t done much except a book tour. I don’t think she could be much less visible.
The people bitching about how she should stay away are the ones who always bring her up at any given opportunity.

Weird.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Abner Assington posted:

The people bitching about how she should stay away are the ones who always bring her up at any given opportunity.

Weird.

It is almost like no matter her profile they are determined to remind people how much they hate her.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Traditionally every major party candidate who loses the presidential race steps out of the spotlight for several years minimum in order to clear the field for new leaders to develop. Compare, e.g., John Kerry, Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, Walter Mondale, Bob Dole, etc.

The reason is that 1) their approach clearly failed since they lost, and 2) their continued presence is a distraction that prevents the party from developing new leadership. Every time Hillary does a TV appearance, that inevitably sucks oxygen away from other potential new Democratic leaders. If the press is talking about Hillary's new book tour, they aren't talking about Kamala Harris or Cory Booker or Deval Patrick or Elizabeth Warren or other potential new left-wing leadership. Her mere presence turns discussions that should be about the next primary, into re-litigating the last primary. Instead of talking about whether or not Bernie could win in 2020 we waste time talking about whether he could have won in 2016 (which is pointless and irrelevant now).

Basically she's a giant distraction and she needs to go away until after the next election cycle, just like all other losing candidates have traditionally done.

Thank you for the actual effort response.

I understand all of this but I think she's in a different situation as the person who won the most votes; other than Gore the rest of the people you mention can't say that and with Gore the margin was way thinner.

But all that aside, is she even on TV? The book came out in September as I mentioned, and she did some press for it then. So these complaints against her made sense in September. Months later, not so much.

Like I said, did Hillary make any public statements about the Virginia or Alabama elections? It seems to me she's already staying out of things in the way people want her to. Trump mentions her in tweets all the time and it's been noteworthy the few times she's responded simply because she does tend to stay out of it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

:shrug: She could . . . not do a book tour?

Going on the Tonight Show is not exactly keeping a low profile.

Riptor posted:

But all that aside, is she even on TV? The book came out in September as I mentioned, and she did some press for it then. So these complaints against her made sense in September. Months later, not so much.

Like I said, did Hillary make any public statements about the Virginia or Alabama elections? It seems to me she's already staying out of things in the way people want her to. Trump mentions her in tweets all the time and it's been noteworthy the few times she's responded simply because she does tend to stay out of it.

I can't speak for others but the main thing I was thinking of was the various late-night TV appearances she did in September (and I think a few more recently?). I mean, ok, I don't want to stop a girl from cashing in, but with every appearance she's sucking up oxygen that other candidates need. The more she stays in the spotlight, the more of a distraction she is.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 28, 2017

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

Oh no not the Tonight show surely she's preparing to run again!

HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the bigger issue is shattered came out months before her book and is way better.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

That was in the first week of October

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Riptor posted:

Thank you for the actual effort response.

I understand all of this but I think she's in a different situation as the person who won the most votes; other than Gore the rest of the people you mention can't say that and with Gore the margin was way thinner.

Hillary was also the target of the most vitriolic, hate-filled, attempted-career-and-life-destroying campaign we've seen in a long rear end time and I think it's a good thing she didn't just disappear forever. She isn't really doing anything negative and the republicans are almost a year into their tyrannical reign and still can't stop loving talking about her, and they look ridiculous for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Riptor posted:

That was in the first week of October

That's still pretty recent. I mean I know we're all on 24 HOUR TRUMP TIME these days but I still have halloween candy left over.

I do agree that pretty much anything any Republican has been saying about hillary is ludicrous bullshit and it's ludicrous bullshit the way they keep bringing her up for no reason at all. But I'd still rather she hadn't done the book tour. It could've waited till 2021.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 28, 2017

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
She could climb into a burlap sack in a dark alley somewhere in Montana and not leave it for three years and she'd still be the top headline daily on Fox News.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

delfin posted:

She could climb into a burlap sack in a dark alley somewhere in Montana and not leave it for three years and she'd still be the top headline daily on Fox News.

Uhg.
Why did she have to ruin burlap sacks.

I used to go to the exhibitions of Andrej von Vorwals burlap sack collection, but now I can't.

loving Hillary why can't she keep a lower profile!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

That's still pretty recent. I mean I know we're all on 24 HOUR TRUMP TIME these days but I still have halloween candy left over.

I do agree that pretty much anything any Republican has been saying about hillary is ludicrous bullshit and it's ludicrous bullshit the way they keep bringing her up for no reason at all. But I'd still rather she hadn't done the book tour. It could've waited till 2021.

Your political instincts are pretty suspect. Early October was also when you were posting about how the Democrats might ~have~ to appeal to racists and abandon supporting minorities in the South after some of the earlier special election losses this year.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

delfin posted:

She could climb into a burlap sack in a dark alley somewhere in Montana and not leave it for three years and she'd still be the top headline daily on Fox News or be complained about in D&D

A little update.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

delfin posted:

Yep.

Fox News was built on bashing hillary Clinton.

It won’t truly die until she dies, and she will always be the target.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

I can't speak for others but the main thing I was thinking of was the various late-night TV appearances she did in September (and I think a few more recently?). I mean, ok, I don't want to stop a girl from cashing in, but with every appearance she's sucking up oxygen that other candidates need. The more she stays in the spotlight, the more of a distraction she is.

She’s also sucking up all the Republican media hit jobs. The longer they have to prepare, the more they control the narrative. Spending all their venom on someone who is definitely not running again is advantageous for Democrats.It also allows the next Democratic presidential candidate to run as a breath of fresh air, defined by how he/she is NOT a Clinton.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

In her Longform Podcast interview, she said she initially didn't want to do a book, especially so soon, but that her publisher convinced her that she should write it as soon as possible. Then when she was writing it it was sort of an exciting rush and distraction from all the poo poo she'd gone through.

I dunno. You could always argue that she should have said no. Or that she was lying about her intentions (Crooked H!). She seemed sincere in the interview, though.

The book was such a non-event that she probably should have waited just so she could take her time and write a better book.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

It is almost like no matter her profile they are determined to remind people how much they hate her.

I think a lot of people are sad at missing out on the opportunity to REALLY hate her. She was supposed to win and justify everyone's fears. This wonderful enemy had been built up for so many years, then she went and lost the drat election.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

man how did you miss it that bad.

Because your point, that Clinton criticism cannot be sexism, is remarkably stupid

Literally telling a woman to not speak her mind: not tainted by sexism at all

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Your political instincts are pretty suspect. Early October was also when you were posting about how the Democrats might ~have~ to appeal to racists and abandon supporting minorities in the South after some of the earlier special election losses this year.

Uh, nice selective recall. If you'll look back at what I actually posted, I argued that we might need to consider . . . candidates exactly like Doug Jones.

Nice try at an ad hom but if my argument is wrong tackle the argument, don't dredge up and recast old out of context irrelevancies.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Dumb post removed

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 28, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Yep.

Laffo if you think it will stop when she dies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

She’s also sucking up all the Republican media hit jobs. The longer they have to prepare, the more they control the narrative. Spending all their venom on someone who is definitely not running again is advantageous for Democrats.It also allows the next Democratic presidential candidate to run as a breath of fresh air, defined by how he/she is NOT a Clinton.

Yeah that's a fair point. Like, maybe it's a valid tactic (I'd disagree, I think it's just lending superficial validity to their attacks, but I could easily be wrong). I'm just pointing out that, traditionally, it's not what losing candidates have done, so when people criticize her for not stepping out of the spotlight, it's not necessarily sexist; there's two variables here, her gender and her conduct, not just one.

Smeef posted:

In her Longform Podcast interview, she said she initially didn't want to do a book, especially so soon, but that her publisher convinced her that she should write it as soon as possible. Then when she was writing it it was sort of an exciting rush and distraction from all the poo poo she'd gone through.

I dunno. You could always argue that she should have said no. Or that she was lying about her intentions (Crooked H!). She seemed sincere in the interview, though.

The book was such a non-event that she probably should have waited just so she could take her time and write a better book.

It probably was the best time to do it from a purely financial standpoint. Her publisher was probably correct and doing her job (maximizing book sales) well. I just don't think it was the right move for the Democratic Party. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be a lot happier seeing Warren on a book tour right now instead.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

Yep.

lmao if you think fox news would stop howling about hillary just because she was dead.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Push El Burrito posted:

If Hillary Clinton shows up to politics then the right will have someone to attack.

If Hillary doesn't come to drop beats she will be attacked as if she is President. Hillary Clinton is a ghost that haunts us all, but mostly agent oranges piss dreams.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah that's a fair point. Like, maybe it's a valid tactic (I'd disagree, I think it's just lending superficial validity to their attacks, but I could easily be wrong). I'm just pointing out that, traditionally, it's not what losing candidates have done, so when people criticize her for not stepping out of the spotlight, it's not necessarily sexist; there's two variables here, her gender and her conduct, not just one.

Yeah, but then again, you guys are talking about her right now even though she's done literally nothing, so it seems like her conduct isn't really much of a factor here.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Agree with this 100%

The short attention span of the American electorate means that for most candidates, the less time spent in the spotlight the better. This is especially true of any potential Democrat because the Republican strategy is simply to throw a million bogus accusations and innuendos against any Democrat until one or some of them stick. The longer they have to do that the more effective they can be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, but then again, you guys are talking about her right now even though she's done literally nothing, so it seems like her conduct isn't really much of a factor here.

Dude asked a question I answered :shrug: I guess we can argue over whether or not October is "recent".

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

lmao if you think fox news would stop howling about hillary just because she was dead.

Yeah this. If Hillary keeled over tomorrow and somehow took Bill with her, Fox would still be running anti-Clinton pieces until the very last boomer snuffs it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/946416486054285314 It’s North Korea time.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FizFashizzle posted:

Yep.

BREAKING NEWS: HILLARY HAD SECOND PHYLACTERY?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's not just in this thread, they're noisy on social media and op-ed pages too. It seems to have become a deliberate strategy on the right by now to make articles that segment of the left will believe and repeat; even if it isn't deliberate, it's happening spontaneously. It had happened before, at least to 2008, but it's ballooned hugely since. My prediction for the 2020 primary and general both is a bunch of people ostensibly on the left repeating RWM stories about whatever candidate the right fears most, with or without the serial numbers filed off. It hopefully won't be a close enough election to make a difference, but I hope there's some sort of counter-narrative.

delfin posted:

Also this. Regardless of what you think about Hillary as a person or a candidate, a lot of people have a need to keep her relevant. Trumpers and "both sides were the same" voters across the rest of the spectrum don't have a lot in common universally, but they're united in having to whatabout Trump's real problems to sleep well at night. Hillary hits the target for all of those in a way no one of the other potential names do.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
this getting any play or

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/946416823641280513

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

No comment on russia selling oil to north korea, weird!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/12/05/russia-increasing-oil-exports-north-korea/923215001/

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

But, in good Roy Moore news:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/946378096625766400

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd also like the DLC to gently caress off forever, but you can't do that without getting rid of Clinton since the entire third way movement is centered around her, Bill, and her people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hillary should stay on as a political lightning rod.

• Locked thread