Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It is the eating lead paint chips of books.

This is my new favorite description of RPO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Ready Player One. It's like Neal Stephenson if Neal Stephenson had been kicked in the head as a young child. It's like a little boy raised by a single mother who desperately believes a famous celebrity is his absent father, only the celebrity in question is Pac-Man. It is the eating lead paint chips of books.

I'm two hours into the book so far, because i have to stop every fifteen minutes or so to process my disbelief.

Not gonna lie; I teared up a little when Mary Poppins died.

Mate, I can't count how many times loving GOTG2 made me tear up. I'm a sucker for family storylines and that goddamn movie wrecked me.

Logan too, but at least I walked into that knowing I'd be hosed up.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I was sobbing. And not just because Yondu was my boy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I may have gotten some dust in my eye at "he may be your father, but he ain't your papa" but you can't prove anything

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Even if you were to somehow set aside all the stuff with Yondu and his relationships/interactions with the other Ravagers, Peter, Rocket, or Gamora and Nebula, or Drax talking about his daughter, Guardians 2 is a movie where the lovable immature manchild protagonist isn't gifted with hot smooches and/or Requisite Hollywood Sex with the love interest despite his lovely behavior at various points throughout the movie, which makes it more sincere than like 90% of movies with similar protagonists.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, even Rangarok has some really serious character moments even tough the movie is pretty silly.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Ready Player One. It's like Neal Stephenson if Neal Stephenson had been kicked in the head as a young child. It's like a little boy raised by a single mother who desperately believes a famous celebrity is his absent father, only the celebrity in question is Pac-Man. It is the eating lead paint chips of books.

I'm two hours into the book so far, because i have to stop every fifteen minutes or so to process my disbelief.

Not gonna lie; I teared up a little when Mary Poppins died.

You haven't lived until you've listened to the audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Goffer posted:

That's what he's doing actually. I tried to warn him but, well.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, even Rangarok has some really serious character moments even tough the movie is pretty silly.

It’s the only one thus far that’s sold me on the idea that there really is some affection between Thor and Loki.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Goffer posted:

You mean Vice President, Wil Wheaton.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

twistedmentat posted:

"Let's have a tender sibling moment in this elevator, the first one we've had in pretty much ever. Now I'll throw you at some guys!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

"Let's have a tender sibling moment in this elevator, the first one we've had in pretty much ever. Now I'll throw you at some guys!"

Get Help is the best game ever and I fully expect Thor to teach it to the Avengers.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Please God let that Zune have Teenage Dirtbag on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fruit on the bottom posted:

It’s the only one thus far that’s sold me on the idea that there really is some affection between Thor and Loki.

Yep, beside the scene in the elevator, the scene with Odin's death is great too.

I feel like Quill would totally get into Cock Rock.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bruceski posted:

This is pretty true to actual familial relationships in my experience.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I didn't feel like the humor took away from any emotional impact in Thor 3, but the pacing sure did. Especially the first half of the movie.

Still liked it though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The joke near the end of Thor 3 about foundations didn't really work with the mood of the scene and wasn't funny or clever enough to justify that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Bruceski posted:

It perfectly fits the characters!

Also loved the retelling of the snake story, especially how much Loki was fondly remembering it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There are a lot of MCU moments that are effective in sincerity to me. Cap's speech in Winter Soldier. Drax thinking about his daughter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The joke near the end of Thor 3 about foundations didn't really work with the mood of the scene and wasn't funny or clever enough to justify that.

Yeah, this is one of the few instances where you could point to something and go "actually this bit is too quippy" and I'd agree with it.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I would argue that the genuine sincerity Chris Evans brings to his performance as Captain America is the single biggest reason why the character wasn't laughed off the screen. I know I was extremely skeptical of the First Avenger until I walked out of the theater, and then I was completely on board.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Eh, even though I like movie Cap, I feel like they greatly toned down the "corny" aspects of the character. He doesn't really give many speeches and his beliefs aren't as strongly held or well defined. He's a slightly Peter Parkerized version of Steve Rogers. An obvious example is how comic Cap reacted to the registration act vs how movie Cap did.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, even though I like movie Cap, I feel like they greatly toned down the "corny" aspects of the character. He doesn't really give many speeches and his beliefs aren't as strongly held or well defined. He's a slightly Peter Parkerized version of Steve Rogers. An obvious example is how comic Cap reacted to the registration act vs how movie Cap did.

Could you please express this opinion in the form of someone else’s vague tweet instead?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I very much enjoyed Thor 3, also the only thor movie worth actually seeing. It was like a metal album come to life. It was a better sequel to Guardians of the galaxy than guardians 2 was.

That said, it also refused to take itself seriously on any level. The elevator scene was probably the one genuine moment it actually allowed itself, and even then it follows it up with the get help thing. Cool if that floats your boat, but I didn't like that.

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like this cap is just so..boring? Morose? I don't really get "inspirational" from him, more like a weariness of having to do a job he doesn't want to do, but he doesn't know how to do anything else. And like you said, his beliefs seem ill-defined. It's like he's there always being stoic and glum or vaguely concerned.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Odin's death is largely quip free too, from memory.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

McCloud posted:

I feel like this Superman is just so..boring? Morose? I don't really get "inspirational" from him, more like a weariness of having to do a job he doesn't want to do, but he doesn't know how to do anything else. And like you said, his beliefs seem ill-defined. It's like he's there always being stoic and glum or vaguely concerned.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ImpAtom posted:

This is my new favorite description of RPO

I will add that Ready Player One is also the never having touched a woman’s breast of books.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I feel like I wouldn't have hated RPO nearly as much if it'd just been a random book I picked up. I feel I would have read it, said "meh" and forgot about it. But then I had a friend who told me it was the second coming of Christ and I HAD TO READ IT, which made me angry at them and angrier at the book. I'm very glad to see these opinions expressed about the book, as I no longer feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I think that was why I didn't really hate it at first, it was years ago and before this whole thing blew up. It was just "Oh, a book about videogames, cool. "

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I think that was why I didn't really hate it at first, it was years ago and before this whole thing blew up. It was just "Oh, a book about videogames, cool. "

I remember rave reviews and poo poo everywhere when it came out. I had so much other poo poo to read since I had just gotten my kindle that by the time I had figured I should check it out I read enough excerpts that I knew it was hot garbage.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think it’s partly that it takes a fairly good premise — Willy Wonka and the Internet Factory — and then proceeds to make every wrong choice.

And also, the book that peeps out between the pages of the book, about a fat incel hiding in an abandoned bus masturbating to visions of Reagan’s America while western civilization collapses around him, would be a really good satire if the author could conceive of it being satirical.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 28, 2017

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Odin's death is largely quip free too, from memory.

That's because it happened so fast that there was no time for quips.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

McCloud posted:

I feel like this cap is just so..boring? Morose? I don't really get "inspirational" from him, more like a weariness of having to do a job he doesn't want to do, but he doesn't know how to do anything else. And like you said, his beliefs seem ill-defined. It's like he's there always being stoic and glum or vaguely concerned.

I wouldn't quite go that far, but I definitely wouldn't say he's right off the page either. I mean I like Winter Soldier and most of the First Avenger, and he works well with the versions of Tony and Nick Fury in the film universe, but it just doesn't quite feel like the same character to me. I can't picture Chris Evans telling people about how awesome the democratic process is or whatever. The character is usually focused much more on personal issues and "getting the bad guys" than standing for a particular ideal.

Ojjeorago posted:

Could you please express this opinion in the form of someone else’s vague tweet instead?

youmad.gif

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That meme isn’t animated, that’s an inefficient use of data.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't quite go that far, but I definitely wouldn't say he's right off the page either. I mean I like Winter Soldier and most of the First Avenger, and he works well with the versions of Tony and Nick Fury in the film universe, but it just doesn't quite feel like the same character to me. I can't picture Chris Evans telling people about how awesome the democratic process is or whatever. The character is usually focused much more on personal issues and "getting the bad guys" than standing for a particular ideal.

I don't think you've read many Captain America comics

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I think expecting movie cap to go on a two page screed about the ideal of democracy is barking up the wrong tree cuz that shits never gonna fly in terms of making a watchable film where a speech only works if it's 45 seconds or less

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unmature posted:

I don't think you've read many Captain America comics

Yeah I only read about 40 years worth of them, and 40 years worth of Avengers comics, plus a bunch published over the last decade. :what:

site posted:

Tbh I think expecting movie cap to go on a two page screed about the ideal of democracy is barking up the wrong tree cuz that shits never gonna fly in terms of making a watchable film where a speech only works if it's 45 seconds or less

Yeah I understand. It's not like I dislike movie Cap, which I'm pretty sure I already said. This is a very mild criticism of an enjoyable version of the character.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

site posted:

Excuse me, speechs in watchable films can be at least 1 minute and 28 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoLywiaM6PA

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

site posted:

Someone hasnt watched atlas shrugged.

• Locked thread