Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think London Drugs is my favourite Canadian retailer. They just have a bit of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

OneEightHundred posted:

One I could never figure out was that Fresno had two Sports Authorities, a big-box sporting goods store, across the street from each other. One, Two.

Oh yeah and there's an REI in an adjacent plaza too.

Going by their history, I'm guessing one was a merger leftover that they rebranded instead of closing for some reason. Sports Authority went under though, so now one's a Dick's and the other's a farmer's market.

Yeah, this is why there are 2 Macy's store in the Fair Oaks mall in NoVA. One of them was a Hecht's. Then they added an expansion on the mall which included a Macy's. Then whoever owned Macy's bought/merged with whoever owned Hecht's and rebranded the Hecht's into another Macy's. :downs:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Wow that's pretty impressive, I think the only time I saw something was a mall that ended up with two Sears anchors, and used one mostly for things like the auto repair center and other "big services" Sears ended up doing back then.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Seaview Square mall in NJ kinda sorta had two Sears in a similar situation. A weird mall, it was already a lovely dying mall throughout the 90s due to its location and whoever was running it not doing anything to get any new stores to open up. Its anchors were a Sears and, MAYBE a JC Penny? I honestly can't remember but eventually its anchors were the Sears and the auto repair Sears on the other side of the lot. I think the site is now a power station or something?

EDIT:

Interesting, it seems like it came into existence at all only because the Sears moved there, talk about time changing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaview_Square_Mall

fishmech posted:

Don't forget how a lot of White Castle's business is selling those frozen sliders at supermarkets all over, far from any actual restaurant locations. Good way to turn a buck with low ongoing costs.

I used to go to White Castle now and then because it would be the only thing open after finishing later shifts at my retail job at the time. I'd get a couple of those sliders or whatever to stay awake enough to drive home. Anyway one time somehow one of those sliders fell between the seat/front door of my car and I didn't realize this or notice it until what had to be like a week later. It was unchanged like it could have landed there five minutes ago. :wtf:

Anyway that's my White Castle story.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My old job used to have two Del Tacos across the street from each other. Man that was heaven.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

I think London Drugs is my favourite Canadian retailer. They just have a bit of everything.

I have never bought a thing there that I didn’t have to return at least once because it was defective.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Baronjutter posted:

Me, too. I'm staying out West for Christmas and I've been into London Drugs about three times so far. Aside from food, they've got nearly everything you could ever think of, and they're always next to a grocery store so it hardly matters. I think I could happily be in there for hours.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm very excited about going to Canadian Tire but I haven't gone yet. :3:

Don't get too excited, unless you like overpriced toasters.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

What's the thread stance on Jean Coutu?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Now I can't stop noticing Mattress Firms, and just realized there's an intersection in Durham with 3 of them, and one of them is in a building that didn't exist a year ago, so it can't be a buyout...

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 27, 2017

australiar
Dec 21, 2017

by Smythe
i'm fat

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fat with consumerism, more like

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sat on my keys! posted:

What's the thread stance on Jean Coutu?

I bear them no ill will. There was one near my place when I lived in Montreal, and I can't remember any particularly amazing or bad experiences therein.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

The Seaview Square mall in NJ kinda sorta had two Sears in a similar situation. A weird mall, it was already a lovely dying mall throughout the 90s due to its location and whoever was running it not doing anything to get any new stores to open up. Its anchors were a Sears and, MAYBE a JC Penny? I honestly can't remember but eventually its anchors were the Sears and the auto repair Sears on the other side of the lot. I think the site is now a power station or something?

EDIT:

Interesting, it seems like it came into existence at all only because the Sears moved there, talk about time changing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaview_Square_Mall

I used to go to White Castle now and then because it would be the only thing open after finishing later shifts at my retail job at the time. I'd get a couple of those sliders or whatever to stay awake enough to drive home. Anyway one time somehow one of those sliders fell between the seat/front door of my car and I didn't realize this or notice it until what had to be like a week later. It was unchanged like it could have landed there five minutes ago. :wtf:

Anyway that's my White Castle story.

It's probably the same as with that person who documented the unchanging happy meal burger; the whole thing just has so little moisture in it that it dried out before it could spoil.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I went to the mall for the first time in a couple years and I counted five separate cell phone repair kiosks (one of them was actually a legit storefront).

Not like cell cases or gimmick poo poo. Literally phone repair services.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I went to the mall for the first time in a couple years and I counted five separate cell phone repair kiosks (one of them was actually a legit storefront).

Everyones a junkie now since late stage capitalism sucks, and junkies drop phones

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

HEY NONG MAN posted:

There's two types of people: People who drop a phone once in a blue moon, and people who are somehow constantly breaking their phones all the time. Guess which one is the bulk of repair kiosk customers.

Also malls are desperate for people to fill in dead spaces, and 5 repair places looks better than 5 empty kiosks/storefronts.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The flipside is that I wandered through the whole place with my kid looking for any kind of playground or play area or something. Kiosks took up every available spot.

I imagine it dies down after the new year? A lot of the kiosks were selling poo poo like quad copters and calendars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The flipside is that I wandered through the whole place with my kid looking for any kind of playground or play area or something. Kiosks took up every available spot.

I imagine it dies down after the new year? A lot of the kiosks were selling poo poo like quad copters and calendars.

I would say it was a lot worse during the recession, what with the gold collectors and rinky-dink naturopathy poo poo all over Northgate.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Gotta say I don't typically expect a mall to have a playground/play area. Closest any of the nearby malls did when I was a kid were a clutch of those little car/horse/whatever machines that you could ride on for like 30 seconds with a quarter.

Some of the higher end malls I've seen recently are putting in dedicated areas with daycare type staff to watch over the kids, but that's still kinda new to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Do arcades count as daycare? If so, then I haven't seen a mall with one since the late '90s. :v:

:smith:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
There are (naturally) about 6 malls near me, but we only go to those that have playgrounds, which strikes me as a real oversight when you want to attract families to the mall. The same goes for the town we live in. They are desperate to attract shoppers to the downtown area, but the parks all suck. We go to the next town over where they have a lovely park with an enclosed toddler area and a splash pad. Inevitably we eat near the park, so that town gets our dollars when our hometown could be getting them if they invested just a tiny bit in their parks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My two local shopping centres have play areas, but because it’s Britain they are attached to to the chain pubs beer garden areas.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

WrenP-Complete posted:

LEE VALLEY IS THE BEST STORE I HAVE EVER BEEN IN. We also got all their catalogues.

Jealous, I am a woodworking goon but have never been to one of their stores (last time I was in Canada was like 2006)

That's also a great example of a family run business doing everything as sustainably as possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lee Valley is loving great.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I hadn’t been in a mall in years, but now that it is winter and we have a 1 year old we go like once a week just to let him walk around and play in the play area since it is so cold outside. So basically the play area is only reason why we even bother to visit. We’ve even bought a thing or two while there.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

GEMorris posted:

Jealous, I am a woodworking goon but have never been to one of their stores (last time I was in Canada was like 2006)

That's also a great example of a family run business doing everything as sustainably as possible.

Hey, guess what? They deliver. I am not sure how far, they might still be posting stuff by horse, but it's worth checking out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I hadn’t been in a mall in years, but now that it is winter and we have a 1 year old we go like once a week just to let him walk around and play in the play area since it is so cold outside. So basically the play area is only reason why we even bother to visit. We’ve even bought a thing or two while there.

I'm pleased that I'm not crazy on this one. It was seriously bizarre that there was no recreational area for kids to run around and I felt that the mall betrayed me when I arrived at the end of the east wing that concluded with a Seafood City and a Daiso (!!!) and a small cohort of coin operated "rides".

All my kid wanted to do was race his Scooby Doo monster truck hot wheels down a slide I promised him would be there and the mall made me look like a gigantic rear end in a top hat to a three year old.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've seen some malls in the Bay Area with an atrium that has a few things for kids to play with (I can't remember what, specifically) along with a lot of benches arranged in a circle for exhausted parents and overexerted septugenarians to recouperate.

Definitely those projection games with a projected soccer ball/bubbles/etc that kids can stomp their foot on the ground and interact with via motion sensors.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
What the hell lmao @ this suddenly becoming the unironically describe your favorite suburban hellscape amenities thread

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

LMAO make the posts you wanna see hoss

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

crazy cloud posted:

What the hell lmao @ this suddenly becoming the unironically describe your favorite suburban hellscape amenities thread

I like the Starbuck's here its better than the other one, because the other one's not as good. They oughtta put light here though its hard to turn...its hard to make a left turn!

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

crazy cloud posted:

Dunno if it's relevant itt but i read a very lol article this morning about Subway expecting to close like half its stores because their food is rancid cheap garbage for pedophiles and nobody buys it so all their stores are underperforming, so they buy cheaper and less fresh produce to cut down on spoilage costs, so fewer people come back because their vomit-flavored chicken fucciatori sandwich was too gross and expensive.

They got the marketing guy who came up with $5 foot longs to comment and he went basically it was a horrible idea to turn your price into a meme because now they're hosed anytime they try to raise the price lmao

This is from the last page but I wanted to mention: this is exactly what killed what was left of major chain pizza as far as quality goes. The disgraced John Schnatter himself wants to deny this but gee, reduce food quality for a decade plus on product that was already "just ok" to begin with compared to "real pizza" and sales start to slip? Must be those drat kneeling NFL players that are responsible, right?

I used to work at Papa John's, and they used to make an "OK" product. But when you go from chicken strips made of actual chicken to a few glorified chicken nuggets instead for the same price (one notable example among many), it's clear your focus is not on making the best product you can, it's cutting costs and quality to engage in stupid price wars. I mention PJs but all of the Big 3 are guilty of this, and Pizza Hut probably deserves most of the blame for being first on the block with that $10 large pizza poo poo.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

HEY NONG MAN posted:

LMAO make the posts you wanna see hoss

I'm

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

VH4Ever posted:

This is from the last page but I wanted to mention: this is exactly what killed what was left of major chain pizza as far as quality goes. The disgraced John Schnatter himself wants to deny this but gee, reduce food quality for a decade plus on product that was already "just ok" to begin with compared to "real pizza" and sales start to slip? Must be those drat kneeling NFL players that are responsible, right?

That guy is American business in a nutshell. He plays all kinds of games with his product quality, keeps the price the same if not raises it, and blames everybody else for not playing along when they go somewhere else. Just like those "snake people are killing chain restaurants!" articles. No you retard, we're voting with our dollar and decided what little disposable income we got isn't going to low-effort tv dinner chains as much anymore.

Everybody wants to be a capitalist until it's time to do capitalist poo poo, like be competitive.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

skooma512 posted:

That guy is American business in a nutshell. He plays all kinds of games with his product quality, keeps the price the same if not raises it, and blames everybody else for not playing along when they go somewhere else. Just like those "snake people are killing chain restaurants!" articles. No you retard, we're voting with our dollar and decided what little disposable income we got isn't going to low-effort tv dinner chains as much anymore.

Everybody wants to be a capitalist until it's time to do capitalist poo poo, like be competitive.

This is why I say that only a lovely business is actively hurt by minimum wage increases. If your labor costs are so high, and your profit margins so poor, then maybe you are just bad at running a business, did you ever think of that?.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

This is why I say that only a lovely business is actively hurt by minimum wage increases. If your labor costs are so high, and your profit margins so poor, then maybe you are just bad at running a business, did you ever think of that?.

Minimum wage increases make businesses that use large amounts of low-wage labour relative to sales (B&M retail) less profitable vs competitors that use less of it (online.)

Only the lovely (or unlucky) ones will go under, yeah. But there's obviously an impact.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

OneEightHundred posted:

Now I can't stop noticing Mattress Firms, and just realized there's an intersection in Durham with 3 of them, and one of them is in a building that didn't exist a year ago, so it can't be a buyout...

Here's a deep dive podcast about Mattress stores, why they tend to cluster, and why they're so profitable (for now)

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/mattress-store-bubble/

Short answer about why they clump up - if you want to open a mattress store, and there's one existing mattress store, where should you locate yours so that you're the most attractive to the largest number of people?

Theoretically, your existing competitor has already located his store such that he has good coverage of the high population density areas - so if you locate yours away from his, that big chunk of dense population is closer to his store than your store. So you put your store right next to his - which also has the side effect of cannibalizing some of his customers because they just drive to where they know the mattress store is, and go into your Mattress Kingdom instead of his Mattress Nation because whatever I just need a bed

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

fishmech posted:

Don't forget how a lot of White Castle's business is selling those frozen sliders at supermarkets all over, far from any actual restaurant locations. Good way to turn a buck with low ongoing costs.

So you can melt your colon and lower intestines from the convenience of home? Neat!

Might have to get these as a white elephant gift.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Neo Rasa posted:

A weird mall, it was already a lovely dying mall throughout the 90s due to its location and whoever was running it not doing anything to get any new stores to open up. Its anchors were a Sears and, MAYBE a JC Penny?

This describes like 90% of the Malls in central PA. They stay alive by the sheer fact that there's absolutely nothing else to do in central PA for the 90% of the residents who are too proud to hit up the bang'n thrift stores (The only reason I go home, great way to get good quality incredibly inexpensive furniture. Especially around Mechanicsburg/Carlisle Pike).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

VH4Ever posted:

I used to work at Papa John's, and they used to make an "OK" product. But when you go from chicken strips made of actual chicken to a few glorified chicken nuggets instead for the same price (one notable example among many), it's clear your focus is not on making the best product you can, it's cutting costs and quality to engage in stupid price wars. I mention PJs but all of the Big 3 are guilty of this, and Pizza Hut probably deserves most of the blame for being first on the block with that $10 large pizza poo poo.

Papa John's truly did kill themselves and the golden goose they rode into town on. When I was in high school before the turn of the millennium, Papa John's was hands down the best national chain (Pizza Hut had already begun its "compromise on quality" before I began middle school). When I was in college, they still served the best delivery you could get unless you were near a local chain or mom-and-pop pizza restaurant. When I left college, they switched out the cheese, watered down the sauce, and did I-don't-know-what to their dough. It was poo poo and therefore I haven't eaten Papa John's in about a decade.

And as other posters noted, Shitner decided it was everyone's fault but his own, despite advertising that claimed "better ingredients, better pizza"*. I laugh every time I hear that. It's like Massey Energy saying they run the safest mines in America. Just LOL.

We're not fooled, American business. We know when we're being served poo poo on a poo poo platter.

* I swear there was a part of Papa John's slogan about "better people", too but I can't find evidence of that.