Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FRINGE posted:

Is that even a thing? Blackrazor came from White Plume Mountain which was set in Greyhawk long before the WotC Shadowfell stuff.

Google gave me this:

I wasn't meaning to try and keep one, I just meant in terms of using it as a Patron, since Hexblade patrons are sentient weapons as far as I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Try this: Simplified modifiers for D&D 4e

[...]I thought p.d0t's Unnamed Project was also quite good, but I've lost the PDF.

If you're talking about "Unnamed RPG," here's a link to that.

E: actually, for the sake of being thorough (and making a shameless plug) if you meant "The Next Project", that can be found here, for anyone who's interested.
Also, a new draft is in development, so read about that, here.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 28, 2017

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

the_steve posted:

I think I asked this before, but my other question prompted more discussion, but, is there a list of "official" sentient shadowfell weapons for AL, for people who are taking Hexblade pacts for their warlocks?
I don't have access to any of my books, so the only example I've been able to find is Blackrazor, and I haven't even found out much about it.
The only other ones I could think of would be Charon's Claw and Khazidea, but I'm not sure if either of them count.
Ultimately, I'm just curious what all of the options actually are.

Nothing AL official. There’s guidance in the AL FAQ and the XGE guidance doc about cleric deities but not warlock patrons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

Nothing AL official. There’s guidance in the AL FAQ and the XGE guidance doc about cleric deities but not warlock patrons.

Meaning that the Player and DM can make up whatever they want.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm going to (try) running a 5e game. It's my first time DMing any game. I've never played 5e, only 3.5e.

Looking through the DMG I saw an alternate rule to use a proficiency die instead of a flat bonus. Has anyone played with that before? It seems appealing because rolling more dice is always more fun.

At low levels it would be a net positive 50% of the time and a negative 25% of the time, but at higher levels that math changes and leans toward being more of a chance of having a worse outcome vs having a neutral outcome (always 50% chance to have a better outcome).

Is the proficiency die a good alternate rule?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I disagree with your premise that more dice = more fun. Combat is slow enough as it is (for us) that more dice would not really be all that welcome. If that premise is true for your table, I don't see what it would hurt and it wouldn't be hard to tweak it yourself at higher levels if you get that far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have never used it so I would not know. Maybe give it a test drive

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I disagree with your premise that more dice = more fun. Combat is slow enough as it is (for us) that more dice would not really be all that welcome.

Same here. I finally convinced my players to roll all attacks at once now that most of them have extra attack. I’d never want them rolling more. While we’re on the subject of rolling more dice being more fun, don’t make them roll more than once to do something related to a skill check.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm going to (try) running a 5e game. It's my first time DMing any game. I've never played 5e, only 3.5e.

Looking through the DMG I saw an alternate rule to use a proficiency die instead of a flat bonus. Has anyone played with that before? It seems appealing because rolling more dice is always more fun.

At low levels it would be a net positive 50% of the time and a negative 25% of the time, but at higher levels that math changes and leans toward being more of a chance of having a worse outcome vs having a neutral outcome (always 50% chance to have a better outcome).

Its another factor of randomness in a game that hinges whether you get to do anything/what you want to on singular rolls.

Its bad and very very obviously thrown out without a care for how it affects the numbers.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Anyone mind reading a few paragraphs about the opening scene of a custom campaign I'm running in a few weeks? For reasons I'm super nervous about this campaign and I want it to be perfect. The opening scene is a little railroady and I'm specifically looking for places where you think player decisions could derail it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H6yTzrZR3ckQaUHI5RQl6DHDXQVqq-uOeVMra4hh8B4/edit?usp=sharing

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If it were my main group of constant players, they'd derail as soon as they were told they need papers. If not right at that moment, they would begin to escape and evade as soon as it's suggested that they go to something that sounds as sinister as "the ministry of order". Or maybe do the smart thing and say "sounds like we came to the wrong place by accident, friend" and then sneak into the city a different way. It sounds a lot like either of those would fit right in to what you're doing, but you might want to find a different way to drop the exposition on them in case they collectively go "Miniord? gently caress that freedom is slavery poo poo!" and either walk calmly back down the road or immediately start a fight.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

AlphaDog posted:

If it were my main group of constant players, they'd derail as soon as they were told they need papers. If not right at that moment, they would begin to escape and evade as soon as it's suggested that they go to something that sounds as sinister as "the ministry of order". Or maybe do the smart thing and say "sounds like we came to the wrong place by accident, friend" and then sneak into the city a different way. It sounds a lot like either of those would fit right in to what you're doing, but you might want to find a different way to drop the exposition on them in case they collectively go "Miniord? gently caress that freedom is slavery poo poo!" and either walk calmly back down the road or immediately start a fight.

Yeah, I'm hearing the same thing from a couple of other people I bounced this off of. I think I need to soften the introduction a little and make it seem less sinister

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I've had good success getting PCs to go along with government stuff by using sympathetic harrassed-low-level-bureaucrat NPCs. Maybe you could try that? Minimise the MINISTRY OF ORDER vibe (and rename it, because it's orwellian as gently caress), and instead try to humanise the petty officials by portraying them as overworked, underpaid schmucks who are constantly beset by bullshit management decisions and buried under a ton of pointless paperwork. Make sure it's obviously pointless, too. Like "Do you intend to overthrow the monarchy during your visit Y/N" levels of pointless. Have the guy sigh after he reads that question and say "I'll just put no to all the ones like that, ok?"

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 28, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Slack Lagoon posted:

It's not, because it makes your results more inconsistent, and people like reliability, whether they consciously realize it or not.

The only utility I'd see in this would be if people "remember" using the Proficiency Die better than remembering to add a proficiency bonus.

As an aside, this is yet another example of Mearls lifting a previously-extant rule and repackaging it as new, since 3rd Edition's Unearthed Arcana already had a "Variant Modifiers" rule to replace flat bonuses with die rolls. It just seems more gimmicky this time since you have far fewer flat bonuses in 5e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gradenko_2000 posted:

As an aside, this is yet another example of Mearls lifting a previously-extant rule and repackaging it as new, since 3rd Edition's Unearthed Arcana already had a "Variant Modifiers" rule to replace flat bonuses with die rolls. It just seems more gimmicky this time since you have far fewer flat bonuses in 5e.

I don't think this is repackaged as new or anything. It's just described as a variant and nothing more in the DMG. Which is exactly what it was in UA.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Just trying to peacefully get to the old standby portal to the Plane of Fire and the drat volcanic sharks show up.

http://didyouknowfacts.com/scientists-found-living-sharks-inside-active-volcano

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

AlphaDog posted:

and instead try to humanise the petty officials by portraying them as overworked, underpaid schmucks who are constantly beset by bullshit management decisions and buried under a ton of pointless paperwork. Make sure it's obviously pointless, too. Like "Do you intend to overthrow the monarchy during your visit Y/N" levels of pointless. Have the guy sigh after he reads that question and say "I'll just put no to all the ones like that, ok?"

I work in the federal government, and one of the fun things is that every single person who gets a federal job has to take an oath of office, where they (among other things) swear an oath to defend the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, while standing with their right hand raised and facing the American Flag. Everyone says this, including the cooks. Here it is: https://archive.opm.gov/constitution_initiative/oath.asp

(It says it's an archived version, but don't worry, that oath is current)

So, have the official do what we do: be cheerful, be helpful, be funny if you can manage it, and then have the PCs swear an oath pledging their lives to defending the country. Then have him or her get them to sign a few more things, cheerfully shuffle the papers away, and make them wait 2 hour to get identification papers. Tell them they need to have the identification near or on their person at all times, and let them know the correct authorities (whatever force of law is appropriate to your setting) to immediately report any lost or stolen identification papers, preferably with an almost unreasonably short time frame.

Edit: During the 2 hour wait, have someone mention how short the line is today, like only 6 people. The primary punishment for losing your papers is you have to go back to that office and go through the entire process again to get a second set of papers.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 28, 2017

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Have the line be unusually short today because ever since Karen went and got herself a case of the Plague on her vacation to them forwign parts they've never bothered to backfill her position due to, "budget concerns" and poo poo.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think this is repackaged as new or anything. It's just described as a variant and nothing more in the DMG. Which is exactly what it was in UA.

The fact that so very much UA and prior edition stuff is lifted wholesale (in a new edition of D&D that does not mention this fact anywhere) kind of does indicate that it is repackaged as new.

Mearls just does not have that many ideas and isn't interested in the least in people that do. See: the 5E Hexblade having basically the exact same fluff as the 4E Hexblade from a book, shockingly enough, headed up by Mearls.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

C'mon, is there anyone who actually holds the opinion that the edition changes are primarily driven by anything other than financial reasons?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I picked up a 3d printer and am starting to print up terrain from OpenForge, might pay for some DragonLock models as well. Also picked up a big collection of characters from mz4250. Anyone have any cool stuff for 3d printing related to DND? As of now I'm trying to decide if there's enough time between now and the session a few weeks away to print up the 10 story mage tower so players come over and find the tower constructed on the table. Not really sure what else cool to do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darwinism posted:

The fact that so very much UA and prior edition stuff is lifted wholesale (in a new edition of D&D that does not mention this fact anywhere) kind of does indicate that it is repackaged as new.

Mearls just does not have that many ideas and isn't interested in the least in people that do. See: the 5E Hexblade having basically the exact same fluff as the 4E Hexblade from a book, shockingly enough, headed up by Mearls.

Quite a lot of things reprinted is more or less what I was saying. It happened in older editions too were it also does not mention it was there before in an older book.

And lots of things kept fluff from prior editions. This is not a new thing. Almost all of 5e is stuff from prior editions whose prior editions also took stuff from prior editions. Don't think there is a single brand new monster yet because they are focusing on updating older ones first.

DandyLion posted:

C'mon, is there anyone who actually holds the opinion that the edition changes are primarily driven by anything other than financial reasons?

Not me. Regardless of how anyone feels about 5e the fact that it's selling well means we won't see a new edition until it starts loosing more steam.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nephzinho posted:

I picked up a 3d printer and am starting to print up terrain from OpenForge, might pay for some DragonLock models as well. Also picked up a big collection of characters from mz4250. Anyone have any cool stuff for 3d printing related to DND? As of now I'm trying to decide if there's enough time between now and the session a few weeks away to print up the 10 story mage tower so players come over and find the tower constructed on the table. Not really sure what else cool to do.

Make a big Demon Lord like Orcus.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Nephzinho posted:

Print a cool dice tower? I've been meaning to laser cut and engrave one for a while but never got around to it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DandyLion posted:

There's also just creative exhaustion, which often heralds the end of an edition just as much. A modern D&D edition's release is really a spasm of energy, both creative and monetary. Books further into the line sell less, but the designers have less good ideas for products in general. By the time something like Pathfinder or 3.5 get to their sixth monster manual, the well is pretty tapped out and people want to start anew. Less book sales are often the indicator that a new edition is needed, but it's more obviously felt by the player base as too many options and too much stuff collapsing in on itself.

2e was the first edition this really happened, where all the supplements just built up to the core game becoming unintelligible. 2e was able to stave it off longer though due to its strong campaign setting support, which gave more creative freedom but not financial success. 5e's probably going to look like 1e, with a long life with few releases, and it's going to end when new people come in and can fix everything it's hosed up.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Didn't Mearls recently say that any next edition is likely to look more like a modification or x.5 of 5e than a 6e? Because, y'know, 3e.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Darwinism posted:

Which in turn was recycled from the 3.5 Hexblade class, which IIRC Mearls liked enough to issue unofficial errata.

D&D is basically creatively dead and Hasbro's keeping it alive to market the brand name.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blacknose posted:

Didn't Mearls recently say that any next edition is likely to look more like a modification or x.5 of 5e than a 6e? Because, y'know, 3e.

He might be saying that, but that's not my point. I'm saying that 5e is so static and intrinsically Mearls' that its successor is going to be specifically dedicated to fixing its issues and clarifying Mearls' mistakes, much like 2e was a codification and reorganization of the rules to make them far more accessible than Gygax ever did.

Mearls can make a 5.5 if he wants, but it's not going to be a true new edition of D&D.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Mearls can make a 5.5 if he wants, but it's not going to be a true new edition of D&D.

Yeah cause it would be a 5.5 we more or less fold in 3.5 with 3e here as well.

My personal guess would be 5.5 maybe in 2020.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Arivia posted:

Completely agree, I was saying that Mearls isn't ever going to be the one to do it - just as you were saying.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah cause it would be a 5.5 we more or less fold in 3.5 with 3e here as well.

My personal guess would be 5.5 maybe in 2020.

You heard it here first, folks

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You heard it here first, folks

Just a guess. Could be off by years or there may not be a 5.5 at all.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It’s okay Mike. We won’t blab to anyone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DandyLion posted:

The decision to produce and release a new edition is almost certainly done for financial reasons*, but the design and the content of what that new edition is going to be and will look like doesn't have to be, especially with the cynical view that people will always buy more D&D just because it's called D&D.

_____

* one will recall that part of the reason why "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" was produced, and why the "Dungeons & Dragons" line (meaning BECMI and Rules Cyclopedia) was eventually killed off, was to avoid having to pay royalties to Dave Arneson. He did win the suit and got royalties from AD&D, but the intent was there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arivia posted:

There's also just creative exhaustion, which often heralds the end of an edition just as much. A modern D&D edition's release is really a spasm of energy, both creative and monetary. Books further into the line sell less, but the designers have less good ideas for products in general. By the time something like Pathfinder or 3.5 get to their sixth monster manual, the well is pretty tapped out and people want to start anew. Less book sales are often the indicator that a new edition is needed, but it's more obviously felt by the player base as too many options and too much stuff collapsing in on itself.

2e was the first edition this really happened, where all the supplements just built up to the core game becoming unintelligible. 2e was able to stave it off longer though due to its strong campaign setting support, which gave more creative freedom but not financial success. 5e's probably going to look like 1e, with a long life with few releases, and it's going to end when new people come in and can fix everything it's hosed up.

I was actually talking with a friend who loves zany classes today and we dug up 2es Sages and Specialists splatbook from 96 that was all about how to play a character objectively worse than PCs that would be less fun but hey maybe you can try anyways!! I couldn't believe it was ever published

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mastershakeman posted:

I was actually talking with a friend who loves zany classes today and we dug up 2es Sages and Specialists splatbook from 96 that was all about how to play a character objectively worse than PCs that would be less fun but hey maybe you can try anyways!! I couldn't believe it was ever published

It could be fun for maybe a few one shots or something. But yeah don't know why a book would be made for it.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Quick magic item question for my campaign, regarding the Talisman of Pure Good. The item description is split into three paragraphs, with the second paragraph stating that; "If you are a good Cleric or Paladin, you can use the talisman as a Holy Symbol, and you gain a +2 bonus to spell Attack rolls while you wear or hold it."

The third paragraph goes into detail about the Talisman's charges; "The Talisman has 7 Charges. If you are wearing or holding it, you can use an action to expend 1 charge from it and choose one creature you can see on the ground within 120 feet of you etc."

Am I reading this right then, that you don't have to be a Cleric or Paladin to use the charges of the Talisman? Since that's a separate paragraph from the Cleric/Paladin section.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Correct, anyone with good alignment can attune to it and use the charges.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Cool, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
+2 to all attack spell rolls? That's kinda a thing. Is there another holy symbol that good?