Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Leperflesh posted:

So, shadow of mordor: on the PC, using a gamepad is awful, there's a terrible lag and some googling reveals lots of complaints and no fixes. So, keyboard WASD is the way to go, but: christ holding down left shift forever sucks rear end, my pinkie is killing me.

So: there's a thing called autohotkey, map a secondary key to stealth (I'm using b) and then assign an autohotkey script to that key to toggle stealth so you don't have to loving hold left shift or whatever all the drat time. Oh my god it's such a gameplay improvement.

I use my PS4 controller to play on my PC and it works perfectly fine, so I don't know what the deal is

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Hahahahah, definitely want to read all these comments now

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

So, shadow of mordor: on the PC, using a gamepad is awful, there's a terrible lag and some googling reveals lots of complaints and no fixes. So, keyboard WASD is the way to go, but: christ holding down left shift forever sucks rear end, my pinkie is killing me.

So: there's a thing called autohotkey, map a secondary key to stealth (I'm using b) and then assign an autohotkey script to that key to toggle stealth so you don't have to loving hold left shift or whatever all the drat time. Oh my god it's such a gameplay improvement.

what about sticky keys

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pubic works project posted:

Wanna share this picture of one of my kittehs. Thor just has to be close to his dad.

you have to link the jpeg dingus

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

hifi posted:

you have to link the jpeg dingus

dammit! :negative:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wasn't showing for me, this works on my end at least.

I'm impressed your cat likes a cat bed. I got one once and my cat sleeps absolutely everywhere that is not on the bed.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Grittybeard posted:

Wasn't showing for me, this works on my end at least.

I'm impressed your cat likes a cat bed. I got one once and my cat sleeps absolutely everywhere that is not on the bed.

Yeah both of my cats love that bed. That's the bed they used to share when they were kittens and would sleep together. My other cat Loki also likes to steal his dog brother's bed.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

we got one of these https://www.amazon.com/Kitty-Shack-Tube-Cat-Accessories/dp/B00ZP6HS6S and it's fur lined and has some kind of space blanket insulation and the cat can spend all day in it. i dont think thats the exact one because ours has more of a lambswool texture than fur

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hahahahah, definitely want to read all these comments now

To be extremely that guy, the buried lede is that this editor's main purpose was to package Milo's white nationalism and fascism into a form more palpable to mainstream audiences. Good rear end thread here:

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/946423467901050880

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

deviled ham for lunch

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My company just instituted a dumb policy that we are only allowed 6 days to work from home next year. It's especially dumb for me because I have no one at my office that I need to interact with, all of my stakeholders are in California so it makes no difference where I work :sigh:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Making people go into the office is so archaic

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Remember when Marissa Mayer was going to turn Yahoo around by making people come into the office?

Bang up job there.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the serious eats deviled ham recipe is good. i used regular pickles instead of sweet pickles because i'm not a complete fuckup

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Remember when Marissa Mayer was going to turn Yahoo around by making people come into the office?

Bang up job there.

and then she made her own personal daycare center. she was so close to getting it

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Grittybeard posted:

Bang up job there.
She got a sweet severance package too. U-S-A! U-S-A!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Jacob Wohl has transcended his prior failson status

https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/945711884669353984

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My wife works from home full time and loves it, so I guess I’m the odd one out in that I see it as an absolute need for me to go to the office. It’s not that I enjoy the commute or anything, but my attention span drops to about 11 seconds at home, and my work ethic is even worse, I don’t think I’d make it through the first day before deciding to blow off work and play Xbox instead.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Thaddius the Large posted:

My wife works from home full time and loves it, so I guess I’m the odd one out in that I see it as an absolute need for me to go to the office. It’s not that I enjoy the commute or anything, but my attention span drops to about 11 seconds at home, and my work ethic is even worse, I don’t think I’d make it through the first day before deciding to blow off work and play Xbox instead.

You work with a foster agency don't you? So your job kind of requires 1-on-1 interaction, doesn't it?

Also you'd 100% be productive because the alternative is you get fired.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

going into the office is a weird requirement when tech dipshits love having office keggers and open plan hotdesks or whatever but i 'm of the belief that it's good to have a separate work space to go in and concentrate. i dont have a job though so it's all theoretical right now

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

Jacob Wohl has transcended his prior failson status

https://twitter.com/JacobAWohl/status/945711884669353984

I figured that would be the next logical step...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

going into the office is a weird requirement when tech dipshits love having office keggers and open plan hotdesks or whatever but i 'm of the belief that it's good to have a separate work space to go in and concentrate. i dont have a job though so it's all theoretical right now

Having a separate work space or setting up things in a way when you get ready that mentally signals 'this is where I work, now it's time to work' can be helpful I've heard. I kinda never had much of a problem turning it on and off personally. A screen full of database crap is a screen full of database crap wherever you are to me.

e: Oops I read this wrong, you're saying being home would be more conducive to getting stuff done. Ignore me.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/WBHM/status/946450009662349313

gargle my balls you garbage pedo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Having a separate work space or setting up things in a way when you get ready that mentally signals 'this is where I work, now it's time to work' can be helpful I've heard. I kinda never had much of a problem turning it on and off personally. A screen full of database crap is a screen full of database crap wherever you are to me.

e: Oops I read this wrong, you're saying being home would be more conducive to getting stuff done. Ignore me.

no you read it right the first time, it's like going to the library to study or whatever. and it can be hard to get a office set up in a regular 1 bedroom apartment if you want the mental benefit and maybe the tax ones if you do contract work

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

You work with a foster agency don't you? So your job kind of requires 1-on-1 interaction, doesn't it?

Also you'd 100% be productive because the alternative is you get fired.

Yeah, safety assessments, home visits, treatment team meetings, and that sort of thing are a necessity, but at least half my time is spent on paperwork, emails, or conference calls. This year the state finally issued smartphones and laptops though, so I should probably count my blessings we’ve at least caught up to the 21st century.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm actually more productive at home because I can cuddle with my dogge when I'm stressed or watch a couple minutes of TV instead of slipping out for a smoke break every hour. I also dicked around on my phone a lot more in the office. It's harder to waste time on the forums when I have my Macbook open!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been working at home fulltime for years. I've found it's a mixed bag and some people really do well working from home while others don't. In my case I post all day on SA but I still get work done and meet objectives etc. Definitely having the Internet is a big distraction, but I was like that when I was working from work too so that's not actually due to working from home. Meanwhile not commuting and not paying for a prepared lunch every single day saves a lot of money.

It is still important to get face to face with people from time to time. I've repeatedly found that interacting with someone I've never met is less effective than someone I've met, even if only once. They're more likely to respond to my emails, send me things I need, etc. It's an instinctive thing I'm sure, something about being a social animal or whatever. So I still will go meet people from time to time, and my former boss would even have me fly out to our mexico or montreal office every couple years to meet people I hadn't met before, because she also understands how this works.

But I've had co-workers who cannot get work done at home, period. Having kids is a big part of that, especially younger kids. Another part of this that makes it work for me is my wife is very clear that I'm not home during the day to do chores, we still split the housework and it happens off-hours, not while I'm working. She's never had a problem with that which is great, it's important for your spouse or partner to not just agree to that in principle, but to totally "get it" in practice.

In my case my co-workers are mostly not at my local office so going in on most days would just be a total waste.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Yeah, safety assessments, home visits, treatment team meetings, and that sort of thing are a necessity, but at least half my time is spent on paperwork, emails, or conference calls. This year the state finally issued smartphones and laptops though, so I should probably count my blessings we’ve at least caught up to the 21st century.

Hot drat you're a good human being. You wake up everyday, head to work, and make our world a better place.

You handsome son of a bitch.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I like going into work and helping all of my users with their computer issues !!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ehud posted:

I like going into work and helping all of my users with their computer issues !!

You loving liar!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Somebody in my office keeps stealing my phone charger. That’s twice now. It was ok my desk this morning when I came in at 730 and was gone by 1030 I have suspicions but no proof :mad:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Its Rinaldo posted:

Somebody in my office keeps stealing my phone charger. That’s twice now. It was ok my desk this morning when I came in at 730 and was gone by 1030 I have suspicions but no proof :mad:

Setup a faulty decoy charger that shorts out any phone you try to charge with. Or sharpie the hell out of it so it stands out.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Get a guard dogge

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
post your New Year resolutions. Don't say that its futile, you are already setting yourself up for failure....aim high

1. I'm going to be kinder, in all avenues of life
2. its the year of the quadriceps

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

weird Asian candy posted:

You loving liar!

Heard from Cox yet?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

kill three people at random to send a message

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Heard from Cox yet?

I am happy to report that as of today *knocks on wood* that my cox is behaving as it should and no users have reported any issues with my cox since the incident of last week!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

SHOAH NUFF posted:

post your New Year resolutions. Don't say that its futile, you are already setting yourself up for failure....aim high

1. I'm going to be kinder, in all avenues of life
2. its the year of the quadriceps

1. Getting back into running. Gonna try to get up to a half marathon by the end of the year. I can do 3 miles easy now, adding a mile a month seems pretty easy and gives me wiggle room if I go a bit slower.

2. Plant everything needed for 100% homemade guacamole*

3. Get the garage shelves and workbench built

4. Publish 500 pieces

*except salt you pedants :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Update to the DirecTV now deal:

Prepay for 1 month and get a free Roku.