Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'd also add "caustic shrike * into view" to the force-more, in retrospect. Think I did on mine.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl progress update:
  • Felids can now wear hats and scarves, but they probably will resent you for making them. I still need to fix Ashenzari not tracking the new slots properly for overall bound status (it still tracks the individual sections properly), so I currently just left it so that cursing all your jewelry slots will fully bind you.
  • Octopodes can now wear helmets, massively throwing off the balance of the species!!!
  • Added a new spell called Avoidance, which is totally not just Phase Shift with a different name. Which I then renamed back to Phase Shift.

Downside: No paperdoll support for felid equipment, and the current paperdoll helmets don't work too well for octopodes. I'm not good at art/tiles so fixing that is going to be on the back burner. However, if some got made by a generous goon tile maker I'll look into how to add them. Also throwing out the request for a replacement title logo while I'm at it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Floodkiller posted:

• Felids can now wear hats and scarves, but they probably will resent you for making them. I still need to fix Ashenzari not tracking the new slots properly for overall bound status (it still tracks the individual sections properly), so I currently just left it so that cursing all your jewelry slots will fully bind you.
  • Octopodes can now wear helmets, massively throwing off the balance of the species!!!
  • Added a new spell called Avoidance, which is totally not just Phase Shift with a different name. Which I then renamed back to Phase Shift.

Downside: No paperdoll support for felid equipment, and the current paperdoll helmets don't work too well for octopodes. I'm not good at art/tiles so fixing that is going to be on the back burner. However, if some got made by a generous goon tile maker I'll look into how to add them. Also throwing out the request for a replacement title logo while I'm at it.

Thank you for working on this.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Honestly I don't trust floodkiller, he's said multiple times he approves of the current course of Crawl development and defends the idiot devs constantly in here, pretty sure this is all an attempt to shut up criticism and/or make us look like fools. Everyone put him on ignore

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't need Floodkiller's help to make myself look like a fool. :argh:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Is there a link to goon crawl yet?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ramc posted:

It isn't being distributed yet. I'm hoping that once it's complete we'll be able to convince CBRO to have it as an experimental branch to play online

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ramc posted:

If you know how to use Git and want to grab the work in progress:
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/gooncrawl

Otherwise, I'll wait until I finish most/all of the features on the design doc and finalize a v1.0 before contacting johnstein (CBRO) and/or other server ops to ask if it can get hosted.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Repeating my legitimate request to please add yourself as a unique.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

At least give yourself a randart.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Added it to the FR list to get voted on at a future point, since I don't really have a design on hand even if everyone wants it.

If you and the rest of the thread do want me to add something personal (aside from Malmutate changes), I do have a different stupid unique that I can throw in. I'll even keep it secret (unless you read the commit log) if you want.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Fedhas can spawn pleasing fungus and has the sunlight ability which evaporates water... or kills floods

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad this thread told me to take freezing cloud over ozo's refrigeration because I just cleared Orc:2 without taking damage

Foodlessness in Hellcrawl rules

I don't really understand how branches work in Hellcrawl, can someone give me the rundown of what the midgame path usually is?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad this thread told me to take freezing cloud over ozo's refrigeration because I just cleared Orc:2 without taking damage

Foodlessness in Hellcrawl rules

I don't really understand how branches work in Hellcrawl, can someone give me the rundown of what the midgame path usually is?

The full path is:
Dungeon, orc, one of the four lair branches, vault, slime, depths (elf as a 1 floor timed sub branch on Depths1), pan (4 main boss floors and holy), zot, vestibule, one full random branch of hell

There are shortcuts to skip one or two jumps ahead in the route (vaults straight to depths or depths straight to zot being the usually taken ones)

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

gowb posted:

Honestly I don't trust floodkiller, he's said multiple times he approves of the current course of Crawl development and defends the idiot devs constantly in here, pretty sure this is all an attempt to shut up criticism and/or make us look like fools. Everyone put him on ignore
Balefully open youre eyes sheeple

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It is extremely rude that you cure confusion with cancellation instead of curing in hellcrawl

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Archenteron posted:

The full path is:
Dungeon, orc, one of the four lair branches, vault, slime, depths (elf as a 1 floor timed sub branch on Depths1), pan (4 main boss floors and holy), zot, vestibule, one full random branch of hell

There are shortcuts to skip one or two jumps ahead in the route (vaults straight to depths or depths straight to zot being the usually taken ones)

In a "normal" game would you usually take Pan?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

In a "normal" game would you usually take Pan?

Can you survive two (glaciate/tornado/firestorm) to the face from a panlord?

Pan is basically Extended for Hellcrawl, and Slime is Slime. Heck, there's no rune locks so you could skip anything you want to

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 29, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Archenteron posted:

Can you survive two (glaciate/tornado/firestorm) to the face from a panlord?

I have no idea but probably not. I guess I'll go straight to zot then. I don't really have much to gain from more experience anyways besides maybe getting a second level 9 spell active which seems like overkill

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I have no idea but probably not. I guess I'll go straight to zot then. I don't really have much to gain from more experience anyways besides maybe getting a second level 9 spell active which seems like overkill

Every time I have gone to Pan I have been nuked by the Lords, except for the time I came in with an OpTm^Chei in statform with three + of each resistance because 8ringslol so I just Shatter-Tornado-Slapslapslapped each one to death

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Holy crepe bjorjor's clutch plus lrd is just hilarious lmao
Like yeah it's a ten mana combo but with a booster and 13 in earth and necro I'm blowing up herds of death yaks in a single cast woot
Solid damage on its own too
Quote this when vile clutch is removed hahaha

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Sludge Elves are back to do whatever it is they do (eat tar?)
  • Yred re-opens the recruitment office for the army of the dead
  • Zin is now allowing access an exclusive membership tier for new suckersmembers!

It may be a couple days before the next update, depending on driving fatigue.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Whoops splattered that guy in the desolation of salt...never going there again

Ok devs I know you're reading this you can remove vile clutch now. You know you want to

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Desolation of Salt is my favorite example of level design in Crawl. It's incredibly thematic and has a lot of cool, very dangerous mechanics that don't feel bullshit if you play slowly and carefully. The loot is usually really good, too, so it's worth the effort to clear.

-----

How do people feel about the summon kill xp penalty? I know summoning is more or less without contest considered the strongest school of magic even with the penalty, but the penalty is frustrating design (it feels unfairly punishing, even if it's "balanced"), not communicated to the player at all and its impact is extremely vague. I've argued here for the penalty before, and I respect the reasons to keep it, but I also wonder if we should axe it. Hellcrawl axed it, though I don't think that should be a guide for Gooncrawl one way or the other.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Desolation of Salt is my favorite example of level design in Crawl. It's incredibly thematic and has a lot of cool, very dangerous mechanics that don't feel bullshit if you play slowly and carefully. The loot is usually really good, too, so it's worth the effort to clear.

Yeah it was cool as heck for sure. Even with lrd there were just too many enemies and it was too easy to find me, tho I tried to hide in clouds as much as possible. Used up a ton of consumables trying to clear it and all for nothing since one of the drat chimera golems killed me. Barbs are a pain

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I never even notice the XP penalty on summons. I don't know how I would, to be honest.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Coming down the stairs:

Hellcrawl does not gently caress around

I actually survived zot 5, barely, and survived in hell for a while despite entering confused with no MP and low HP, until a hellion wandered into LOS and ended me

Hellcrawl rules

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

IronicDongz posted:

I never even notice the XP penalty on summons. I don't know how I would, to be honest.

I find it very noticeable. If you're only using summons as support on a hybrid it isn't so obvious, but if you're using summoning as your primary kill dudes throughout the game then the penalty is huge! But that doesn't matter. You could make an argument for or against the penalty either way you feel about how impactful it is. You could either say "who cares, summoning is already busted, it doesn't need a buff, and the penalty isn't noticeable anyway", or you could say "a weird penalty that can't be communicated clearly and the impact of which is almost impossible to evaluate is worth removing, in spite of the balance issues that might cause." I'm on the side of removal now, but I've been on the other side in the past and I can respect the arguments either way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If summons are broken then nerf summons directly in a way that's communicated clearly with players and has obvious consequences

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The summoning XP penalty is insanely stupid and needs to be deleted pronto. Summoning isn't actually better than conjurations or long blades or whatever and there's no reason it should effectively cost more XP to use.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think summoning is significantly better than those things if you're patient, but I also think the XP penalty ought to be removed for clarity purposes. Balance can be looked at later.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Summoning is superior to long blades or conjuration by it's fundamental mechanics irrespective of the specifics of any of the spells because it provides defense, offense and utility simultaneously. I think that's the fundamental motivation behind the penalty and I don't think it's completely misguided.

But the penalty is both frustrating and extremely confusing. For example, what exactly incurs the penalty? Spectral weapons and Hep ancestors are special cased not to, but how would you know that? And what about spells like fulminant prism and conjure ball lightning. Those "summon" things, but do they incur the penalty? And what if you inner flame your minion. Does it exploding and killing everything incur the penalty? If it does, should it? There has to be a better way to keep summoning in check.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A long time ago, pure summoning might have been overly strong, but there's been a variety of things to bring it back down, and while all of them are iiritating and illogical, it's when combined it gets really really bad. From memory: 50% xp; hard cap on each summon, customized per spell; summons won't attack things that either you OR they cannot see, or even acknowledge their existence or defend themselves (this is huge, it's so annoying!); undead summons are now on timers; and do some summons go poof when they leave LOS? That last one I might be misremembering. It's probably just Clouds, but the same mentality.

Basically, before you could play a Mummy Summoner, and just have a cloud of summons always trickling around a corner to kill things out of sight. But this would involve playing a MuSu. As the Nethack dev team put it when addressing their own tedious optimal play problems: "The DevTeam has arranged an automatic and savage punishment for pudding farming. It's called pudding farming."

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

There was a recent patch on mainline Crawl to randomize food tiles for rations (which are currently the only permafood type). Since this is related to the "re-implement pizza" feature on the Gooncrawl v1.0 design doc and I won't have time for development today anyway, I figured out a couple ways to fulfill this and set up a runoff poll here:
https://goo.gl/forms/GMe31x8ZjvOegBRp2

This will be a short poll (I will likely close this either tomorrow morning or afternoon depending on when I get around to it), so please get your votes in if you care about pizza!

I'm also going to look into moving most of the current wiki information into the repository to free up the wiki permissions to everyone for design brainstorming and discussion.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

My response to the pizza poll:

Off hand suggestion: Axe the regeneration spell and replace it with pizza as a common consumable that drops rarely from intelligent monsters. If you eat the fabled Pandemonium Pizza, you get extra strong regen. Demons in Pan have a higher chance of carrying Pandemonium Pizza. Or, more realistically, pizza has a "from pan" flag, and if it has that flag, it's more likely to be pandemonium pizza.

One problem with the polling system is that if someone has an interesting suggestion they don't post in the thread, that suggestion can't be voted on. I'm not saying my suggestion is the one true solution to the pizza problem, but I think it's an interesting offhand idea and there are probably some other good ideas as well that can't be fairly considered if everyone has to vote before they can read them. Of course, we could always revise pizza later, but then we're playing feature ping-pong.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Considering people need to have an account here and a post in this thread for their votes in the poll to count that's a problem that can be solved easily. :justpost:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

My response to the pizza poll:

Off hand suggestion: Axe the regeneration spell and replace it with pizza as a common consumable that drops rarely from intelligent monsters. If you eat the fabled Pandemonium Pizza, you get extra strong regen. Demons in Pan have a higher chance of carrying Pandemonium Pizza. Or, more realistically, pizza has a "from pan" flag, and if it has that flag, it's more likely to be pandemonium pizza.

One problem with the polling system is that if someone has an interesting suggestion they don't post in the thread, that suggestion can't be voted on. I'm not saying my suggestion is the one true solution to the pizza problem, but I think it's an interesting offhand idea and there are probably some other good ideas as well that can't be fairly considered if everyone has to vote before they can read them. Of course, we could always revise pizza later, but then we're playing feature ping-pong.

I do recognize the issue with polls in that regard (especially short term ones), but throwing in a write-in vote+comments with the encouragement to communicate your vote in the thread if you want to see it happen is the best solution I have to a runoff poll for votes demanding details past "Do this thing". Editing after voting is still enabled (and I just go through and grab the latest vote if someone accidentally votes twice). I figured pizza is a small enough feature to test how feasible this is before getting into more complex FRs like Pakellas re-implementation, but I can always pull it out of the immediate implementation section of the design doc if there's too much kickback about it.

If it needs to get more expansive than just polling and the planned wiki discussions, I'd likely need someone else to handle the opinion/FR/design gathering aspect for me so I can focus on coding stuff. However, I don't want to ask for that until an initial release is out (thus why I also haven't started another FR poll yet).

At the very least, working on this has given me an appreciation for anyone whose job involves canvassing and polling :v:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

I do recognize the issue with polls in that regard (especially short term ones), but throwing in a write-in vote+comments with the encouragement to communicate your vote in the thread if you want to see it happen is the best solution I have to a runoff poll for votes demanding details past "Do this thing". Editing after voting is still enabled (and I just go through and grab the latest vote if someone accidentally votes twice). I figured pizza is a small enough feature to test how feasible this is before getting into more complex FRs like Pakellas re-implementation, but I can always pull it out of the immediate implementation section of the design doc if there's too much kickback about it.

If it needs to get more expansive than just polling and the planned wiki discussions, I'd likely need someone else to handle the opinion/FR/design gathering aspect for me so I can focus on coding stuff. However, I don't want to ask for that until an initial release is out (thus why I also haven't started another FR poll yet).

At the very least, working on this has given me an appreciation for anyone whose job involves canvassing and polling :v:

That makes sense. At this stage there doesn't need to be a more complex solution. It also encourages people to :justpost:. More discussion in the thread is great.

-----

Completely separate topic: I wrote a spell. The working name is "blade of disaster" - conjuration/charms 6. The spell is a very short term buff: it currently lasts 3 turns. On every melee hit, you summon a fulminant-prism-like object. After the buff runs out, the prisms' timer starts and they all explode in a 5 tile explosion after 2 turns, just like real fulminant prisms. Each disaster prism does way less damage than a fulminant prism. The damage is mostly based on your weapon's base damage, to keep high investment in weapon skill valuable for characters using this spell. The spell is still a work in progress and has some issues to iron out (e.g. you shouldn't be able to proc a prism by attacking a prism). When I finish it, I'll try to figure out how to submit a pull request to gooncrawl on git if people are interested.

Here is my rationale for creating the spell. I'm not sure casting is actually weaker than heavy armor melee in the current state of the game, but a lot of people feel it is. Hybrids, meaning characters that train weapons and casting about equally, not minotaurs that learn blink after two runes, are certainly weaker than they've ever been. Part of the reason for that is the sorry state of the charms school. My primary intention in designing this spell was to make a fun charms spell with a strong tactical element that would make blaster / melee hybrids more powerful and fun.

Other design considerations:
-Can't be an always-on spell. It has to be short duration and have the potential to gently caress you up badly if you use it at the wrong time.
-Feels strong and impactful. It should be immediately obvious that you're tearing up the dungeon with it, if at risk to your own safety.
-Fireworks. Needs to be flashy.

A lot of details of the spell are open to revision, for example, exactly where the prisms spawn, the damage of each prism, whether there should be a cap on the number of prisms and probably a bunch of things I haven't thought of. Everyone let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas about whether this is a good or bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pizzas as powerful single-use buffs and restoratives would be loving amazing not gonna lie. Comedy option: Nemelex is now god of pizza. Which slice will you bite into first?
Write-in option: Butchering things automatically produces pizza. Don't let it get cold though!

• Locked thread