Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PierreTheMime posted:

I think four models is probably minimum, three looks a bit too sparse. I guess you could bulk the base with some scenery. I wouldn’t mind if you fielded it, but you yourself might be underwhelmed by the look.

If I can find a good source of cheap skeletons I was thinking of putting a skeleton or two at the back of the base, like they'd just stripped a guradsmen and were moving on to the next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

Tyrannofex get

watermelon, yum!

Guy Goodbody posted:

If I can find a good source of cheap skeletons I was thinking of putting a skeleton or two at the back of the base, like they'd just stripped a guradsmen and were moving on to the next

I think it was Plastic Soldier Company that made a box of skeles, it's out of print now but if you find one I'll kill you for it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The Sex Cannon posted:

Boon is gonna gently caress up everyone's poo poo at Adepticon (sorry, JD, maybe git gud?).

Just because his board looks nicer doesn't mean the glory of my army won't outshine his. When that Dark Blue hits the judge's eyes, along with the clear love and care that has painstakingly gone into each edge highlight, eventually drawing them to the handsome young man that has brought it all together...can any other outcome be more clear?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Termagant box claims to come with one Ripper Swarm, but would anybody call foul if I just got another base and split up the Rippers to make two swarms?

I had no idea what that piece was on my Genestealer sprue. I determined it must've been some weapon the Genestealers used to be able to take in an earlier edition that wasn't there in 8th and just stayed on the sprue because they haven't updated the plastic money-making machine yet. Then I saw a used Ripper Swarm in the case at my LGS and realized what it was.

I think three is the minimum on a base, which makes sense because they have three wounds. If you're just playing for fun and learning, I don't think anyone's going to complain that you just have one on the base for now until you glue more on for tournaments.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Demon spotlight up on the Comnunity website. Full devoted armies get special army wide auras on their special characters. Also, the snail gardener's allowed for 40k, thank goodness.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Uroboros posted:

Just because his board looks nicer doesn't mean the glory of my army won't outshine his. When that Dark Blue hits the judge's eyes, along with the clear love and care that has painstakingly gone into each edge highlight, eventually drawing them to the handsome young man that has brought it all together...can any other outcome be more clear?

If the outcome is that Boon kicks your sorry butt, then we agree about the clarity of the outcome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

Demon spotlight up on the Comnunity website. Full devoted armies get special army wide auras on their special characters. Also, the snail gardener's allowed for 40k, thank goodness.

It seems to me that the Slaanesh ability is just flat out better than the Khorne version.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The Sex Cannon posted:

If the outcome is that Boon kicks your sorry butt, then we agree about the clarity of the outcome.

How can you be so obtuse?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It seems to me that the Slaanesh ability is just flat out better than the Khorne version.

Khorne works when coming from reserves, while Slaanesh doesn't.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
The Tzeentch ability looks hilariously infuriating.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's significantly worse than -1 to hit, but it's so characterful that I'll allow it.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

The Tzeentch ability looks hilariously infuriating.

Would Magnus benefit from that? Even if he doesn't get the Locus himself, would he be a Tzeentch Daemon that could benefit from the 6" aura?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's significantly worse than -1 to hit, but it's so characterful that I'll allow it.

They both stack so that's not really a problem.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Anyone know where I can get the weapon sprue from a land raider? Due to gw employee incompetence/dickishness I currently have a crusader and wouldnt you know it custodes can't use those.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Anyone know where I can get the weapon sprue from a land raider? Due to gw employee incompetence/dickishness I currently have a crusader and wouldnt you know it custodes can't use those.

https://www.hoardobits.com

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

They don't have stock land raider bits, just crusader.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's pretty rare as it's pretty uncommon to build a land raider and not use them. The only one I found on ebay is from down under for 60 Dollariedoos, or about $45 US. You might as well just buy another Land Raider at that price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Mari...5oAAOSwDmBY3vPP

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Bear in the Woods posted:

Would Magnus benefit from that? Even if he doesn't get the Locus himself, would he be a Tzeentch Daemon that could benefit from the 6" aura?

RAW, I don't see why not. Same for Tzeentch Warp Talons and Possessed. They benefit from the Changeling Aura and Herald of Tzeentch auras, don't see why this would differ.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I was just gifted a Slaanesh get started kit yesterday, and this new rule is a cool and good surprise.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So my boss gifted me the new Dark Angels codex, which is pretty cool, but in thinking about making a DA army, I have run into an aesthetic problem.

Is anyone else finding that they look at the smallboy marines like the tacticals and assault squads and just aren't feeling it? I mean, they are more flexible, but Primaris marines look so much cooler and are a lot more fun to paint, especially since they aren't super cluttered.

I have the Prospero Burns box that I never did anything with, so I have a bunch of knightly looking MK3 armor bits, but I just don't like the small stuff as much.

Is anyone else running into this issue?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

jadebullet posted:

So my boss gifted me the new Dark Angels codex, which is pretty cool, but in thinking about making a DA army, I have run into an aesthetic problem.

Is anyone else finding that they look at the smallboy marines like the tacticals and assault squads and just aren't feeling it? I mean, they are more flexible, but Primaris marines look so much cooler and are a lot more fun to paint, especially since they aren't super cluttered.

I have the Prospero Burns box that I never did anything with, so I have a bunch of knightly looking MK3 armor bits, but I just don't like the small stuff as much.

Pretty much, truescale stuff was wanted because marines look a lot better with decent proportions and now having one next to the other just highlights the old problems.

My terminators are being rotated out of the army for the time being now that inceptors are acceptable so I'm back to all primaris with some tank support, only thing that might make it in in the mean time would be heavily converted scouts using scions limbs.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If one were committed to painting a black-armored army and using white faceplates to designate sergeants (they’re Raven Guard and I don’t like the all-white-helmet scheme; likewise veterans will get white pauldrons instead of all-white arms), how might one go about approaching the problem of Reivers having white faceplates by default?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Stephenls posted:

If one were committed to painting a black-armored army and using white faceplates to designate sergeants (they’re Raven Guard and I don’t like the all-white-helmet scheme; likewise veterans will get white pauldrons instead of all-white arms), how might one go about approaching the problem of Reivers having white faceplates by default?

Paint them bone.:skeltal:

Specifically zandri dust-> aggrax recess -> edge highlight ushabti -> point highlight pallid wych flesh.

Artum fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 28, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

jadebullet posted:

I find myself in much the same boat. I have a demi-company of DA prepared for undercoating, but Primaris are much prettier. I figure I'll just start with painting all the big boiks and add in other stuff as needed.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Artum posted:

Paint them bone.:skeltal:

Specifically zandri dust-> aggrax recess -> edge highlight ushabti -> point highlight pallid wych flesh.

An excellent solution, though I’ll probably use a darker, more aged bone recipe than that to go with my “as close to the surface of a stealth fighter jet as I can manage” dull, minimally highlighted black armor.

(Now if only there were an easier way to get more of those “bird skull” Raven Guard beakie helmets you only get one of in the old FW RG upgrade sprue.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jadebullet posted:

I'm looking at using the DA codex for a Primaris-only force, especially given the synergy for plasma weapons.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

An excellent solution, though I’ll probably use a darker, more aged bone recipe than that to go with my “as close to the surface of a stealth fighter jet as I can manage” dull, minimally highlighted black armor.

(Now if only there were an easier way to get more of those “bird skull” Raven Guard beakie helmets you only get one of in the old FW RG upgrade sprue.)

I've had good luck with Vallejo Bonewhite, washing with Army Painter Soft Tone, and then drybrushing with a follow-up layer of bonewhite and then a brief drybrush of white. Fast, easy, and I like the look.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm looking at using the DA codex for a Primaris-only force, especially given the synergy for plasma weapons.

Can you go full footslogging with a primaris force? I'd like to try painting a small Space Marine force, but gently caress painting any more rhino chassis. There aren't many Space Marine players at my lgs so I've only played against Marines once since primaris came out, and it didn't run any.

Side note, any goons in the Seattle area? I'd be interesting in expanding away from the normal lists I always play against.

Mef989 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 28, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If anyone wants an Imperium Dice tray, pick em up quick before GW finds out and sends a C&D: http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/dice-tray-eagle/

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Mef989 posted:

Can you go full footslogging with a primaris force? I'd like to try painting a small Space Marine force, but gently caress paining any more rhino chassis. There aren't many Space Marine players at my lgs so I actually haven't played against SM since primaris came out yet.

Side note, any goons in the Seattle area? I'd be interesting in expanding away from the normal lists I always play against.

You pretty much have to go full footslogging with Primaris.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean, that's literally all they'd have going for them. Beyond hellblasters, Dark Angels are not bigly friendly and there's not much point playing them if you're not leveraging Deathwing and Ravenwing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mef989 posted:

Can you go full footslogging with a primaris force? I'd like to try painting a small Space Marine force, but gently caress painting any more rhino chassis. There aren't many Space Marine players at my lgs so I've only played against Marines once since primaris came out, and it didn't run any.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You pretty much have to go full footslogging with Primaris.

My kingdom for a sub 100pt 10 man transport.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mef989 posted:

The only transport Primaris can get is the Repulsor. Otherwise you have to go with Forgeworld and field a Thunderhawk or Stormbird.

You don't really play Primaris only with the intent of being dominant.

Safety Factor posted:

I mean, that's literally all they'd have going for them. Beyond hellblasters, Dark Angels are not bigly friendly and there's not much point playing them if you're not leveraging Deathwing and Ravenwing.

It's not like most of the other factions are much better. I could see BA being viable but Primaris aren't really meant for assault. Regular Marines don't particularly stand out either save maybe the Ravenguard bonus.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I'm looking at running a Primaris and Terminator force with a focus on plasma gunline tactics so that should work. Lots of Hellblasters with Inceptors for some flank support.

I'll also probably throw in some Black Knights or a Deathshroud.

I'm fine with bike and speeder mounted little men, but for the footsloggers I'm just going to go Primaris.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Get them Raven Guard Boltstorm Aggressors! 100 shots from 6 dudes!

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

jadebullet posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at running a Primaris and Terminator force with a focus on plasma gunline tactics so that should work. Lots of Hellblasters with Inceptors for some flank support.

I'll also probably throw in some Black Knights or a Deathshroud.

I'm fine with bike and speeder mounted little men, but for the footsloggers I'm just going to go Primaris.

See, this sounds like my idea of a Space Marine list. I've just painted way to many Rhinos over the years to ever want to touch that kit again. Terminators and Primaris though are both awesome models.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm kind of surprised to see so many of you guys keeping the scopes (or at least the iron sights) on your Primaris bolt rifles.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AndyElusive posted:

I'm kind of surprised to see so many of you guys keeping the scopes (or at least the iron sights) on your Primaris bolt rifles.

Why would I take them off? It's the default model.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zark the Damned posted:

If anyone wants an Imperium Dice tray, pick em up quick before GW finds out and sends a C&D: http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/dice-tray-eagle/

A friend brought those to Warhammer World last time we went. Absolutely worth the price.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why would I take them off? It's the default model.

People think it's funny that the ironsights block the scope. They haven't looked closely enough to notice that the scope is offset to the right of the sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

People think it's funny that the ironsights block the scope. They haven't looked closely enough to notice that the scope is offset to the right of the sight.

I did not know this. As you were, hams.