Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite joke in literature is Leto II musing to Moneo about putting a tiny plastic dong on himself somewhere and seeing what would happen when someone notices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite joke in literature is Leto II musing to Moneo about putting a tiny plastic dong on himself somewhere and seeing what would happen when someone notices.

I don't remember this in the original novel nor really got any further than that but please post an excerpt :)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mean, it is? A good amount at least. The guy who wrote Iron Dream wrote it as a critique of how in sf fascism is shown as good and celebrated, and most people don't recognize because the protagonist isn't literally hitler

Yeah the great thing about Dune and its ultimate thesis is that no matter how much of a good guy you might be, being at the head of an expansive civilization turns you into a monster.

And yes i'd like one of those gang tats. the witches one is hysterical.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't remember this in the original novel nor really got any further than that but please post an excerpt :)

I have no idea where it is in God Emperor but it's pretty much just Leto loving with Moneo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Yeah the great thing about Dune and its ultimate thesis is that no matter how much of a good guy you might be, being at the head of an expansive civilization turns you into a monster.

And yes i'd like one of those gang tats. the witches one is hysterical.

Yeah it's a pretty clever twist on the standard cheesy Chosen One plot from the first book.

Also how it sort of sucks being that high up the totem pole since it just make Paul a target for all the various disgruntled factions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I mean, it is? A good amount at least. The guy who wrote Iron Dream wrote it as a critique of how in sf fascism is shown as good and celebrated, and most people don't recognize because the protagonist isn't literally hitler
A "good amount" I can't really argue with I guess. I certainly won't claim to have read most sci-fi or even most of the Important Classics probably, but in my sample it's not even a noticable percentage where facists are the protagonists. It's usually plucky underdogs vs The Man.

I'd actually be more prone to agree with you if you said there was a bias toward insane libertarianism.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

quote:

Malky took a moment to recover from pain, then: "Tell me, old worm, is there a monster penis hidden in that monster body of yours? What a shock for the gentle Hwi!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Malky took a moment to recover from pain, then: "Tell me, old worm, is there a magnum dong hidden in that monster condom of yours? What a shock for the gentle Hwi!"

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

Malcolm XML posted:

Tell me about your posting, Usul

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
*Spits on thread*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JohnnySavs posted:

How do they get the drop on Leto II enough to fry one of his arms with a lasgun again? Wasn't he pretty much fully prescient?

I can't remember if it was this guy but I seem to recall there were people born in "no-rooms" (chambers with some kind of technology that breaks prescience) who were then more or less invisible to even Leto II's prescience.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I can't remember if it was this guy but I seem to recall there were people born in "no-rooms" (chambers with some kind of technology that breaks prescience) who were then more or less invisible to even Leto II's prescience.

The whole gist of the God emperor breeding program was to make humans immune to prescience and once that happens he lets himself get killed

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

It's been years since I read the original Dune novels, so I might be forgetting some details, but something I've been wondering. We know the goal of the Bene Gesserit breeding program was to create the Kwizats Hadderach (I have no idea if that's the right spelling), but why was that important? I mean, if we ignore all the Brian Herbert stuff, why did the witches want to create a superbeing?

As an aside, I really liked that the song for area five in Rez is called Fear Is The Mind Killer.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Its all in a run to improve mankind and also control a being with such powers to further their own ends.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Also he has a mega worm boner for someone

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

Also he has a mega worm boner for someone

Leto II, the god-emperor, most definitely fucks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Shaddak posted:

It's been years since I read the original Dune novels, so I might be forgetting some details, but something I've been wondering. We know the goal of the Bene Gesserit breeding program was to create the Kwizats Hadderach (I have no idea if that's the right spelling), but why was that important? I mean, if we ignore all the Brian Herbert stuff, why did the witches want to create a superbeing?
Okay, gonna be a goon for a moment. I'm not sure exactly how much of this is canon, but some of it is from the books and some is from the Dune Encyclopedia.
In Herbert's universe, there was a time when people had a kind of group consciousness. It wasn't really telepathy, but a really intense kind of empathy. Men lost the ability in the ancient times (the BG theorize that it was an impediment to their ability to fight and sire children) and so the few men who still had the ability teamed up with the female-led religious caste and cobbled up a primitive mythology which ended up being the BG - and all the other religions of the earth, which they heavily influenced.

Reverend Mothers, ever since, have had access to all their mothers' and grandmothers' memories and first-hand accounts of lots of history - but that's only half. They can't see the male side of the memory, because they are instinctively frightened by it. The Kwizatz Haderach is the long-promised savior who will be able to see the other side. Since he would be a man made by their order, they figure he'll at least join them if they can't dominate him. With him on their side, they will at last have a total picture of human history - and so amplify prescience to give them total power over galactic affairs.

Basically, the superbeing is supposed to be a puppet-god.

That is my loose interpretation from reading a lot of Dune.

Zeniel posted:

*Spits on thread*
*Almost draws his knife when a Fremen moves a hand to stop him, shaking his head*
*Nods, spits on your post*

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Spice rules everything around me
CHOAM
Get the money
Wheels within wheels within wheels ya'll

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

phasmid posted:

Okay, gonna be a goon for a moment. I'm not sure exactly how much of this is canon, but some of it is from the books and some is from the Dune Encyclopedia.

Seeing it written out like that makes it sound remarkably similar to the plot of Zardoz.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

moller posted:

Seeing it written out like that makes it sound remarkably similar to the plot of Zardoz.
I still haven't seen that movie. I hear it's...interesting?

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

phasmid posted:

The Spice is good, the Penis is evil.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Have Blue posted:

Spice rules everything around me
CHOAM
Get the money
Wheels within wheels within wheels ya'll

grew up on the shai side
the liet kynes side

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
"Perhaps I should have something made, a gross protuberance to shock them."

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Oh your gonna marry?

*everyone looks for a dick*

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop posted:

I must not troll.
Trolls are the fun-killer.
Trolling the forums brings endless probation.
I will face my ban.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it is over I will pay lowtax ten bux to run the forums.
When the forums are gone there will be nothing.

I love this.
I have written like 5 parody versions of the Litany. Thrilled to find out so many other megafans in GBS, i am one for sure.

I asked in PYF if there had ever been any Dune themed big Photoshop/etc threads and no one posted any, just the Matrix. Hmmmm...

Link any if there were, please.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spinster posted:

I asked in PYF if there had ever been any Dune themed big Photoshop/etc threads and no one posted any, just the Matrix. Hmmmm...

Link any if there were, please.

I did make a NUDE book cover for a Photoshop thread once but it wasn't a DUNE thread or anything.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I did make a NUDE book cover for a Photoshop thread once but it wasn't a DUNE thread or anything.

Nice! I've had that jpeg on my PC for like a decade. Also A Fetid Tetherball.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zeniel posted:

*Spits on thread*

still suit picks it up

"Thanks friend!"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fuuuuuuck me this is good

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Fuuuuuuck me this is good

Yeah I can’t decide whether I want to get that, the original, or THE POSTS MUST FLOW animated gif for my avatar

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Bloop posted:

A "good amount" I can't really argue with I guess. I certainly won't claim to have read most sci-fi or even most of the Important Classics probably, but in my sample it's not even a noticable percentage where facists are the protagonists. It's usually plucky underdogs vs The Man.

I'd actually be more prone to agree with you if you said there was a bias toward insane libertarianism.

Fascists love to write military sci-fi. Insane libertarians are a single step removed from fascists and are more than happy to step over the line in their writing.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ixians got a raw deal

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yueh lied
Leto died

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

Fascists love to write military sci-fi. Insane libertarians are a single step removed from fascists and are more than happy to step over the line in their writing.

No doubt all true but I was just challenging the claim that most sci fi is fascist. Even if every fascist writer wrote sci fi that wouldn't imply most sci fi is fascist.

Related:
I loving love Ender's Game but OSC's off the deep end recent stuff like Liberal Coup Civil War stopped by Real Americans is not really the norm on the shelf in my experience (and is only sci fi in a tangential way in any case)

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

No doubt all true but I was just challenging the claim that most sci fi is fascist. Even if every fascist writer wrote sci fi that wouldn't imply most sci fi is fascist.

Related:
I loving love Ender's Game but OSC's off the deep end recent stuff like Liberal Coup Civil War stopped by Real Americans is not really the norm on the shelf in my experience (and is only sci fi in a tangential way in any case)

I haven't read The Iron Dream myself, but a quick glance at Wikipedia shows that it was written in 1972, and there's plenty of examples in the sci-fi preceding it that veered (if not outright dived straight into) fascist-y directions. Starship Troopers is a pretty well known example, as well as a lot of the old square-jawed hero-scientist-explorer stuff which usually had the incredibly whitebread protagonist colonizing the crap out of any alien unlucky enough to get in their way.

No one's saying that sci-fi is a purely fascist genre or anything, just that it does have some areas that tend to lean more that way - especially the Military SF stuff as opposed to stories speculating about how technology changes society and stuff like that.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

phasmid posted:

Zardoz is the pinnacle of Sean Connery’s acting career, definitely. ... He actually did that movie after the bond movies, for some insane reason.

A friend of mine spent a while editing Sean Connery’s Wikipedia page to the effect of how amazing and epic zardoz was and how it defined Connery, until he was banned from posting there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Starship Troopers cancels itself out since the movie is so hilariously anti-fascist :v:

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Watching the deLaurentis Dune movie right now because that's where I want to go with my GOONTOONS. Thanks for this thread.
:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jiro Kage posted:

Zardoz is the pinnacle of Sean Connery’s acting career, definitely. ... He actually did that movie after the bond movies, for some insane reason.

A friend of mine spent a while editing Sean Connery’s Wikipedia page to the effect of how amazing and epic zardoz was and how it defined Connery, until he was banned from posting there.

He supposedly did Zardoz because it was literally the only script his agent brought him that wasn't just some knock off Bond spy movie.