Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a couple months ago a coworker showed me one of the really old ones he still had lying around. It was the one about the dreaded Ostflotte, the space fleet build by the now-turned-fascist-dictatorship Soviet Union to assault the Third Power's Venusian base. Perry comes back with this awesome alien battleship he stole and accidentally plows through the Ostflotte, killing the flagship and hundreds more

It was glorious. :allears:

(But I'm still glad that stuff like this was later rigorously cut when the series was edited for the now running book edition, because yikes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm the guy trying to cut off a robot's oxygen supply by applying pressure to its windpipe

Some more good/crazy ones:

Bears vs. Aliens

Space Rambo

Angry Frogs (Actually called Dumfries )

This guy is just speechless in face of all those dumb covers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm the guy trying to cut off a robot's oxygen supply by applying pressure to its windpipe

Well yeah the internal combustion engine won't work if you compress the intake hose.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Libluini posted:

Space Rambo

Fffffuck yeah this guy rules

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Pharmaskittle posted:

If you apply enough pressure to power cables the electrons can't fit through the smaller space and the robot's brain goes into power saving mode. The extra lagginess makes it real easy to dodge their fire, only problem is when you shoot them it takes forever before they realize they're dead.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

PR is an endless source of entertainment, and not just because the series has been active for 170 years...

That is one of the best book covers I've ever seen. :allears:

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 28, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there any point to letting any empire survive if it spawns right next to where you spawn?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
No. Consume them.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Hunt11 posted:

Is there any point to letting any empire survive if it spawns right next to where you spawn?

You could be besties for life. :allears:

No.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hunt11 posted:

If they're hyperlanes and a different weapons tech you can keep one cut-off planet alive to farm for influence and debris tech.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I managed to cut off my neighbor's expansion for a good while, but he didn't mind too much, what with him being a pacifist xenophile.

Turns out a defensive pact with him bought me the guns (and therefore time) to rapidly expand instead of building up my fleets, which easily secured the two of us an advantage over the assholes that had decided to populate the rest of the galaxy, including a very aggressive hive mind.

So yeah, it might not be a bad idea to make a friend even if it is just to take the pressure off a while and buy yourself some time to get going.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Splicer posted:

If they're hyperlanes and a different weapons tech you can keep one cut-off planet alive to farm for influence and debris tech.

:lol: if you don't play on Hyperlanes only

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Reap the vassal bonus from the domination tree.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BadOptics posted:

That is one of the best book covers I've ever seen. :allears:

If you like this check out the full catalogue of 1930s/40s pulp sci-fi magazine cover art (and some of the art inside), a lot of it is absolutely insane and it's hilarious. I went through a lot of magazines over the course of a few weeks in undergrand and I'm pretty sure everyone using the microfilm machines around me hated me because I was laughing so much, but just

it's beautiful.

Hunt11 posted:

It depends, if I'm not worried about about them expanding in the direction that I'm interested in, and I think that we'll get along well down the line, I usually leave them alive.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Is warscore from battles bugged? I seemed to lose warscore from battles I won. meaning the AI empire lost almost all their ships then ran away.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's awkward because I think it weights it based on what you actually lost so if you lost something with a lot of power like a platform even if it's cheap it seems to cost you quite a lot of score.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My understanding is that it’s based on the value of the ships destroyed, which occasionally leads to weird situations like yours.

Just start wrecking their starports now. Eventually you’ll find the remnants of their fleet and destroy it utterly. Then split your navy and start occupying planets wholesale.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you. That was pretty unintuitive.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
With 2.0 coming out shortly, are the leviathans and utopia dlc's worth it? I recently bought the vanilla game on sale and really enjoying it, and was wondering if, for my next playthrough, having those 2 dlc's might be nice...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, yes. Utopia adds some nice empire upgrades like ability to build megastructures, leviathans adds various space oddities, like monsters and merchant guilds.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Leviathan is probably more important than Utopia because the trade enclaves completely change how the economy works. Utopia is currently a big impact too, but with 2.0 the impact will be somewhat lessened. They're still both great though and totally worth the money.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Utopia's main feature will be worked into the game for free next week so probably hold off on it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well except for the stuff you can actually do with that feature like the ascension paths.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Well except for the stuff you can actually do with that feature like the ascension paths.

The traditions are still pretty good even without the ascensions

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yes, AFIK only t the basic perks will be available to all. The end game ascention paths and megastructures will still be Utopia exclusive. I think a few other things like Hive Minds and some other additions to purging and slavery are also Utopia exclusive.

Would still strongly recommend picking it up.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I mean yeah i think utopia is totally worth it as well, but with 2.O so close you may as well wait and see if they put the earlier dlc on sale

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"close"

there's probably gonna be at least january full of DLC feature dev diaries....

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Digital Anniversary Bundle a good choice to get into the game with? It's at a fairly good price on Steam as far as I can tell.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gowb posted:

I mean yeah i think utopia is totally worth it as well, but with 2.O so close you may as well wait and see if they put the earlier dlc on sale

The DLC is on sale at the moment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gowb posted:

Yeah but they don't really add a lot of content they just add new ways to get content that's already in the base game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
On a note unrelated to Utopia or 2.0 has anyone encountered this bug before:

The troop transports at the top of the list were in the process of leaving an invaded planet at the same time I was upgrading them and it seems they are now forever stuck in purgatory. They have no location, they aren't anywhere in the game, I cannot select the fleet itself (pressing that fleet does nothing, it doesn't even register as clicked) and right-clicking doesn't zoom anywhere. There is no way to move, upgrade or disband them. Anyway to salvage this or are they forever stuck somewhere above Sanctuary-J?

Not the end of the world but it is mildly irritating that the only Godzilla things I can train are stuck in this fleet (and I cannot train more since they still count towards my cap) and they are costing me maintenance.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The troop transports at the top of the list were in the process of leaving an invaded planet at the same time I was upgrading them and it seems they are now forever stuck in purgatory. They have no location, they aren't anywhere in the game, I cannot select the fleet itself (pressing that fleet does nothing, it doesn't even register as clicked) and right-clicking doesn't zoom anywhere. There is no way to move, upgrade or disband them. Anyway to salvage this or are they forever stuck somewhere above Sanctuary-J?

Not the end of the world but it is mildly irritating that the only Godzilla things I can train are stuck in this fleet (and I cannot train more since they still count towards my cap) and they are costing me maintenance.

It's happened a few times, with and without mods. Not sure what causes it, only fix I have found is reloading a save from before it happened.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Do they show as orbiting the planet from J's army tab? I've had something similar happen and landing via the planet army tab fixed it. I don't remember the sequence of events that caused my issue so this might not work but maybe you'll get lucky. Reverting to an older save is your best bet if you aren't playing Ironman though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Sadly no, they don't show up under the army tab either. We're well past the point of reloading a prior save so it looks like they're gone forever. I figured as much but wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this and knew how to fix it. Almost 600 hours in and I've not seen it happen before...

Thanks for the suggestions though!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Any recommendations for settings for a quick game before 2.0 comes out?

When is 2.0 coming out anyway? I've been doing the Paradox Dev Diary Delay lately where I want to play but then I see cool new stuff coming in dev diaries and put off playing...until a few months later when the new patch is out and I see more cool new stuff coming in the dev diaries, etc., etc.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It hasn't been announced yet but Blorg willing it will be soon

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gowb posted:

Utopia's main feature will be worked into the game for free next week so probably hold off on it
This is not true for multiple reasons.

gowb posted:

Traditions are already part of the base game. The only things being added to the base game from Utopia are the basic numbergoup ascensions. You'll still need Utopia for the synthetic/psionic/genetic ascensions and (I think) the megastructure ones. Also if you want to play hiveminds.

gowb posted:

All the DLC bar Synthetic Dawn and Humanoids are on sale on steam right now! Get them from paradoxplaza though because that gives Paradox more money (also on sale there)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

axeil posted:

Download one of the mods so that you can use a 10,000 star galaxy and you might be able to sneak a quick game in.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

axeil posted:

When is 2.0 coming out anyway? I've been doing the Paradox Dev Diary Delay lately where I want to play but then I see cool new stuff coming in dev diaries and put off playing...until a few months later when the new patch is out and I see more cool new stuff coming in the dev diaries, etc., etc.

This is like the third time this gets asked THIS PAGE. If you go one page back you can see where Wiz said it'll be late next week before 2.0 gets released. Cmon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Are you using the civilian trade mod? I stopped using it because this would happen every time I embarked an army with a trade ship in orbit.

• Locked thread