Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's always Episode IX for Dalton. He'd kill in a Star War.

Does he have a licence for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How exactly do you come up with a Star Wars-sounding name? Like, I know it when I see it, but I can’t nail the pattern. I know there are usually lots of vowels, but KIT FISTO while sounding dumb as poo poo hits it while something close like SMASH BLAMMO is—I don’t know—too on the nose to work?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gatts posted:

Maybe I should say delivery

I earlier described the dialogue and delivery as "unfashionable," and I still think that's the most accurate description.

Anakin and Padme et all aren't just speaking in a stilted and unnaturalistic manner, but imitating a very specific style of late 30s-40s. You could easily compare Anakin's style of speaking with Scarlett O'Hara, for example. They both (over) exaggerate similarly.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Less than a month, and people in the Ep 9 thread have run out of things to say. The prequels are back, as was inevitable. Prequels for life. Prequel supremacy.

Was this meant to be posted in YouTube comments or something? You are starting to post like a real Star Mars fan.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

business hammocks posted:

How exactly do you come up with a Star Wars-sounding name? Like, I know it when I see it, but I can’t nail the pattern. I know there are usually lots of vowels, but KIT FISTO while sounding dumb as poo poo hits it while something close like SMASH BLAMMO is—I don’t know—too on the nose to work?

I don't know but I think Rogue One nailed it with 'Cassian Andor', 'Krennic', 'Chirrut Imwe' and 'Jyn Erso' whereas the ST has gotten it wrong. For example, to me, Poe Dameron is just ill-fitting. And I think having the three characters being named Rey, Finn and Poe sounds like one of those 'all Star Wars character names are monosyllabic' Facebook meme things.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This Christmas...the legend continues....with a new Sith Lord to terrorize the universe. Legendary actor Timothy Dalton is...SMASH BLAMMO!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

hard to argue with lol

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Well, Rey means king and now she's King of the Jedi :colbert:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Take a pasta dish and separate it into multiple words.

Carb Onara

Spag Hetti

Ba Kedzitti

Bolog Nese

Fag Ioli

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenriverninja posted:

Well, Rey means king and now she's King of the Jedi :colbert:

Turns out Rey's surname is Soleil.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViKvHkNyqE

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Keeping in mind I think in the Clone Wars series we have someone named Savage Oppress. It's like Green Lantern villain names where a sentient evil virus aligned with the Sinestro Corps is called Despotellies. (who is defeated by Leezle Pon, a sentient smallpox virus Green Lantern, saving one of our heroes).

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Despotellis_(New_Earth)

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 29, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

Keeping in mind I think in the Clone Wars series we have someone named Savage Oppress.

His brother was called Feral Oppress.

(His other brother was Darth Maul.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

Take a pasta dish and separate it into multiple words.

Carb Onara

Spag Hetti

Ba Kedzitti

Bolog Nese

Fag Ioli

That last one is actually something very different according to Kurt Eichenwald’s google sleuthing, but by gum you cracked the code!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gatts posted:

Keeping in mind I think in the Clone Wars series we have someone named Savage Oppress. It's like Green Lantern villain names where a sentient evil virus aligned with the Sinestro Corps is called Despotellies. (who is defeated by Leezle Pon, a sentient smallpox virus Green Lantern, saving one of our heroes).

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Despotellis_(New_Earth)

Eyyy, that's a despotic meatball!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The best named Star Wars character was Ima-Gun Di, because he dies.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Look at this poo poo, this is how great comics can be. The virus even has a sex/gender.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Away all Goats posted:

The best named Star Wars character was Ima-Gun Di, because he dies.

Now there is some storytelling magic.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

In the alternate universe: Star Wars fans are all incredibly into the science of film editing, and they gather on message boards to discuss montage and eyeline matches for 100 pages at a time while ceaselessly disparaging Paul Martin Smith.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The first Star Wars...good editing? FFFTT. Looks like powerpoint transitions. I can do that poo poo on my computer.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just imagine watching A New Hope and Luke misses the shot and has to fly around again to take another shot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tenzarin posted:

Just imagine watching A New Hope and Luke misses the shot and has to fly around again to take another shot.

What you are describing is the plot.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

That's my name on grindr

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it's a different guy who misses the shot first time, but same basic deal. Presumably if it were Luke his first missed shot would be with the targeting computer before trusting and using the force.

As for the Rose thing everyone hated, I'm honestly not sure if Luke taking off his targeting helmet in ANH isn't theoretically just as dumb a move to pull.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But let's face it: you are unable to give a single example of a 'trash' line from A New Hope that was saved by extreme... exertion(?) by the actors. You haven't even established what you mean by 'trash' writing.

This is because memes have infected you. You didn't look at any aspect of Ford's performance, or a single line of dialogue, before ostensibly talking about them. It doesn't matter to you if what you wrote is true or not, or even if it refers to anything that actually happened in reality. The meme just pulled the strings and you typed out words we've all seen before, as if in a trance.

I was actually defending the PT but uh, sure. Whatever you say, SMG.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Yeah, it would have been underwhelming. Except there's actually no evidence that that was a unilateral decision by Marcia rather than a call made by George. As far as I can tell, Michael Kaminski bases his assertion solely on the fact that Marcia was in charge of cutting the scene. But he strangely ignores the fact that George was intimately involved in the entire editing process. In fact George himself mentions offhand in the DVD commentary that the original cut wasn't working and that he had the idea of streamlining it, and I'm inclined to believe him, because that's a major structural change that makes all the sense in the world to have come from the guy in charge. I mean, there's no reason it couldn't have been Marcia's idea....but the problem is there's no real reason in the first place to suppose that it was. Remember that Marcia wanted to keep the scenes of Luke on Tatooine that were originally intercut with the droids' journey in the beginning, and George wanted to get rid of them to streamline the narrative. So it's not like you can just say, "Well obviously George was a complete idiot with no storytelling instincts whatsoever, and Marcia was an infallible master of pacing who never made a wrong call, therefore logically it must have been her idea."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Have you seen The Last Jedi? Would love it if you do and give your thoughts.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

First cuts are always messy.

There's this myth that Lucas cut things all by himself at first, made something bad, then shrugged his shoulders and let everyone else recut it.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

KaptainKrunk posted:

First cuts are always messy.

There's this myth that Lucas cut things all by himself at first, made something bad, then shrugged his shoulders and let everyone else recut it.

That's true. But it's also worth noting that the response to it was more mixed than it was solidly negative, and there were also some very positive reactions. This was the response of one of the Fox executives, of all people:

quote:

Wigan and Kanter constituted with Ladd a power triumvirate at Fox that had been shepherding their films through the studio labyrinth. After they and Fox executive Leonard Kroll, who also attended, settled into the seats of the screening room constructed behind Park Way, and as the film neared its finale, Lucas noticed that one of the execs was becoming emotional. “I was sitting right next to Gareth, and he turned to me and he had tears in his eyes,” Lucas says. “I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t believe Gareth Wigan was crying—I thought he was crying because he was thinking, Oh my God—our whole careers are destroyed. Our lives are destroyed! But he said, ‘This is the greatest film I’ve ever seen.’ And I thought, No way! I’d never had a studio executive say that at the end of a screening. I thought, This is really weird.”

It must have been all the more surreal when Lucas remembered the previous reactions of Warner Bros. and Universal to his first two features. Wigan was so moved that upon returning home, “I sat my family ’round the kitchen table and I said, ‘The most extraordinary day of my life has just taken place. I want you to remember this day because I never thought I would have a day’s experience like the day I’ve had today in seeing this film.’ ”

Spielberg also says he loved it, but he was also George's best friend, so of course he'd say that.

But the point is that even that factoid has been blown way out of proportion. And again, this was the rough cut made made after Marcia had been brought on board. The original unfinished rough cut, which reportedly was a legitimate disaster, was never screened, and it was almost entirely the work of editor John Jympson working mainly on his own while George was busy filming, and whom George fired after deciding his cut was unsalvageable. (According to The Making of Star Wars, Jympson was having trouble getting simple match cuts right.) Everyone gets everything mixed up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

That's another character, originally Luke also misses a shot.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Star Wars and Return of the Jedi both originally have one CGI shot: holograms of their respective Death Stars in their pointer scenes. Does the original Empire have a CGI shot?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tenzarin posted:

SMG is being SMG and in his roundabout way saying there's no difference. The transition from that guy using the targeting computer to Luke trusting the force would be essentially the same tension if it was Luke himself.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

AndyElusive posted:

I was actually defending the PT but uh, sure. Whatever you say, SMG.

No more memes. No more takes.

Tenzarin posted:

I understand that. And what you are describing is the plot in an unreleased earlier version of the film.

"Luke drives through the desert" or "the death star has a laser" --- these are phrases that have nothing to do with editing.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ingmar terdman posted:

Star Wars and Return of the Jedi both originally have one CGI shot: holograms of their respective Death Stars in their pointer scenes. Does the original Empire have a CGI shot?

I think maybe the Emperor hologram and then the meeting of ship captain holograms where one of them dies (one of the better little visual gags in the OT imo)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think maybe the Emperor hologram and then the meeting of ship captain holograms where one of them dies (one of the better little visual gags in the OT imo)

That's not CGI. I don't think Empire had any CGI until the special editions.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

That's not CGI. I don't think Empire had any CGI until the special editions.

Was it not? That’s awesome—how did they do holograms?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

Carefully

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

They filmed the actor and composited it into the scene, which was an analog process because they didn't have digital compositing yet. Same with Leia's hologram in A New Hope.

For that matter, the CGI in A New Hope and Return of the Jedi was added with analog compositing, not digital, as well.

What I mean is, the imagery was not generated using a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The hologram stuff may even have been a little easier since they're meant to be transparent and hence don't require a matte (which was a huge part of the problem with analog compositing- how to get the exact same shape each frame.)