Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fezz posted:

Not to mention the confrontation with Roshone. That was very satisfying.

quote:

Rarely had he delivered such a perfect punch. It barely even hurt his fist. Roshone dropped like a felled tree.

Seriously one of my favorite quotes from the entire book. Just the mental image of this bitter, old Lighteyed keeling over is perfect.

Best actual quote from a character:

quote:

“We could just skip the boring part.”

“Skip?” Wit said, aghast. “Skip part of a story?”

Like that is the most offensive thing he's ever heard in his life.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In retrospect Wayne must be feeling pretty smug for getting grief about MeLaan once the dust had settled and it turned out Wax had been sleeping with a Kandra for years.

Sab669 posted:

Seriously one of my favorite quotes from the entire book. Just the mental image of this bitter, old Lighteyed keeling over is perfect.

Best actual quote from a character:

Like that is the most offensive thing he's ever heard in his life.

My thoughts too.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sanderson has trouble with humor because he's too drat nice.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Contrary to popular opinion I actually liked Shallan in the first two books but wasn't big on her sections in this book. She spends most of her chapters either being a completely different character or having a not-particularly-convincing identity crisis.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Honestly I solidly enjoyed pretty much all the characters in books 1 and 2. I had a tough time getting into Kaladin's arc in the first book and a half, but he won me over and I really enjoyed his chapters by Oathbringer. I dug Shallan's whole mysterious backstory thing in the first books and I found myself looking forward to her chapters (probably just looking for Jasnah to come into play more). But drat I just hated her chapters in Oathbringer. Don't let me warm up to a character only to throw new characters at me who happen to be worse versions of the same character who are also now I guess the same character only I hate this I hate this. Oathbringer is not Sanderson's best book by any stretch of the imagination but it had a pile to keep me reading beyond those miserable chapters. Dalinar is such a mary-sue treat of a character and damned if I don't like Adolin/Jasnah/Kaladin at this point but I really hope he figures out where to go with Shallan's character because I do not want to just keep hating her chapters.

Also if anyone was wondering about further nerd bullshit, at the signing I went to, I tried to steal out some book info by appealing to Brandon's love of Magic the Gathering. I learned Dalinar started as a Mono-red aggro deck and is turning into a mono-white control deck. Jasnah is straight U/B with hints of odyssey era Tog decks. He's not sure if Shallan is mono-blue, he hasn't thought about her in a deck archetype sense much but suggested she might be blue/white down the road. Kaladin is rocking white weenie and Lift is G/W leaning way heavier towards green, more a splash of white at most. The guy loves his MTG and was wearing a Dimir shirt at the signing so regardless of book quality I'll keep supporting him because he is wonderfully nice man and a charming conversationalist.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Sanderson has trouble with humor because he's too drat nice.

Did you not find the arrival of Wax et al at the hotel in New Serans hilarious? :confused: I had to put the Kindle down a few times because I was laughing so much.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
is there a list of the Unmade? im having trouble remembering them all from the inital read. there are 8? or 9 right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CoolHandMat posted:

is there a list of the Unmade? im having trouble remembering them all from the inital read. there are 8? or 9 right?

WOB confirms there are 9 with a huge astrix on why there's not ten and what that means

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My theory is still that the night-watcher was/would have been the 10th, and either the unmade are 9 of cultivation's 10 that odium corrupted, or the night-watcher is the 10th that cultivation corrupted away from odium.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
My guess at some point was that they're somehow pieces of the Heralds and the reason there's 9 is because Taln didn't betray the Oathpact.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Nah. There's some sort of cosmeric numerology going on. Preservation was big into 16. Honor, 10. Odium likes his 9s.

Various Words of Brandon have hinted that there's something to that; may just be the number the shards were taken up in? Who knows.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

New series announcement: https://www.facebook.com/notes/brandon-sanderson/officially-announcing-skyward/10155214221647219/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OAquinas posted:

Nah. There's some sort of cosmeric numerology going on. Preservation was big into 16. Honor, 10. Odium likes his 9s.

Various Words of Brandon have hinted that there's something to that; may just be the number the shards were taken up in? Who knows.

16 is a Cosmere-wide thing because Adonalsium was shattered in to 16 shards originally, iirc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Huh, Firstborn continuity maybe?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Legion figured out interstellar travel.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Such a disapointment each time he announces something new and it turns out to be another ya/non-cosmere thing. At least it doesn’t seem to slow down his writing pace too much though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Avalerion posted:

Such a disapointment each time he announces something new and it turns out to be another ya/non-cosmere thing. At least it doesn’t seem to slow down his writing pace too much though.

This is more of a lateral swap. The other YA title he was planning just wasn't gelling.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

"State of the Sanderson" was posted.

Basically, Skyward will be a trilogy and is going to be his Wild Cards that he'll be doing to the exclusion of everything else for the next year or so.

Outline for Eshonai's book by 2019, late 2020 release, maybe.
Final Wax/Wayne book maybe 2019.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
when adolin and shallan are doin it he’ll be like “are you close?” and she’ll say “well, i’m certainly not far away from you!!”

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

when adolin and shallan are doin it he’ll be like “are you close?” and she’ll say “well, i’m certainly not far away from you!!”

Pattern hummed. "A good lie."

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

TheMadMilkman posted:

Pattern hummed. "A good lie."

NO MATING.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

She then cuts off her left arm and uses the safe hand as a riding crop.

Surgebinders are OP.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I reread The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance and then powered through Edgedancer and Oathbringer in five days.

Wow. Edgedancer, went down like a fine appetizer. Lots of cool lore and some interesting plot development. Oathbringer though, that's the real deal. Every bit as good as Words of Radiance if not more. So much awesome stuff going down in this book, the culmination of Dalinar's arc was superb.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyways, for more interesting Adolin stuff.

It's clear that he's going to ressurect his sword Maya and become an Edgedancer right?

The sword told him his name and he was able to summon it in seven heartbeats instead of ten. That's a clear indication that she's starting to heal.

He remembers those left behind from that little boy in the battle with the Thunderclast, to the prostitute he defends in Sadeas camp in The Way of Kings.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's clear that he's going to ressurect his sword Maya and become an Edgedancer right?

The sword told him his name and he was able to summon it in seven heartbeats instead of ten. That's a clear indication that she's starting to heal.

He remembers those left behind from that little boy in the battle with the Thunderclast, to the prostitute he defends in Sadeas camp in The Way of Kings.

I don't know about the Edgedancer bit, but it does seem like he's going to resurrect the sword. It's obvious Maya is not completely dead, as it can walk around in Shadesmar and it attacked something that was attacking him. Bringing one of the "dead" spren back to life would be a good way to show the Stormfather that not all humans will betray them, and even if they did it is possible to bring the spren back.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

The biggest twist I can imagine is that Maya does her own thing when revived, but he attracts the notice/bonds some other spren in the process of doing such a good deed. You're totally right that he's almost conspicuously doing Edgedancer things, since if his brother hadn't shown up he'dve definitely died saving that kid.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

seaborgium posted:

I don't know about the Edgedancer bit, but it does seem like he's going to resurrect the sword. It's obvious Maya is not completely dead, as it can walk around in Shadesmar and it attacked something that was attacking him. Bringing one of the "dead" spren back to life would be a good way to show the Stormfather that not all humans will betray them, and even if they did it is possible to bring the spren back.

All the shardblades have "deadeye" bodies in Shadesmar--the captain of the ship keeps his deadeye father locked up so he can keep track of him. Otherwise they'll migrate to the location of their physical realm self/person bonded to the blade. Doesn't matter if he went overboard--spren don't need to breathe so the sea of beads is more an obstacle than a mortal threat...the captain just wanted to keep his father safe and accounted for.

That she actually defended Adolin was the first sign that she's healing.

The Stormfather is resigned to seeing things through at this point. His big fear was what humans would do when they learned the truth...last time it utterly broke the Radiants. This time they go in eyes open...so things should turn out different.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
By the way, this really peaked my interest in the State of the Sanderson update

quote:

Dark One

My eternal “like Harry Potter from Voldemort’s viewpoint” fantasy sequence is still hanging out, buzzing at the sides of my brain. I wrote a really spectacular outline for it this summer, one I love quite a bit, and it got both television graphic novel interest—but these are deals still very much in the works, so I can’t talk about them yet.

I’m pleased with what I have though, and feel this series has moved for the first time in a long while. Note that I did end up pulling it out of the Cosmere, as it ended up working better as a dark secondary world fantasy than it did as a Cosmere YA series. It went both older, and more twisted, in the current outline. Hopefully, by next year’s State of the Sanderson we’ll have something more solid to announce.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seaborgium posted:

I've been saying since before this book that Adolin's going to revive his sword. The previous books showed that unlike most shardbearers, Adolin had an almost religious reverence for his sword. After learning about the true nature of the shards left behind by the Radiants he got even more appreciative towards it and gears are beginning to turn. Wonder if he'll ever think to ask Dalinar (and the Stormfather) about it and if they can do anything to help Maya out.

His actions to defend the prostitute in the earlier book, and the child in Oathbringer, was clearly him acting in accordance with the Second Ideal of the Windrunners to protect those who cannot protect themselves. :colbert:

...but it'll be a cold day in hell before Adolin becomes a squire to Kaladin. :v:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've been saying since before this book that Adolin's going to revive his sword. The previous books showed that unlike most shardbearers, Adolin had an almost religious reverence for his sword. After learning about the true nature of the shards left behind by the Radiants he got even more appreciative towards it and gears are beginning to turn. Wonder if he'll ever think to ask Dalinar (and the Stormfather) about it and if they can do anything to help Maya out.

His actions to defend the prostitute in the earlier book, and the child in Oathbringer, was clearly him acting in accordance with the Second Ideal of the Windrunners to protect those who cannot protect themselves. :colbert:

...but it'll be a cold day in hell before Adolin becomes a squire to Kaladin. :v:

Adolin's sword is a dead Culltivationspren, not an honorspren.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

NecroMonster posted:

Adolin's sword is a dead Culltivationspren, not an honorspren.

I think that will be the twist. He will definitely revive his blade, but it's not guaranteed that he will bond her. He might become a Radiant of a different order.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I think that will be the twist. He will definitely revive his blade, but it's not guaranteed that he will bond her. He might become a Radiant of a different order.

I don't think he'd be able to revive the blade if he wasn't bond compatible with it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'd still put my money on him becoming the first skybreaker not in Nales cult

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or perhaps it was remembering a forgotten class of people when no one else would...

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just take a moment to picture him as a squire to Lift. :allears:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

I'd still put my money on him becoming the first skybreaker not in Nales cult

That position has already been taken.

Quantum Toast posted:

This needs to happen now.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

Actually, given the descriptions of the orders by the preface to the chapters and Nale himself, Adolin is far more representative of the Edgedancers of old than Lift.

quote:

When Simol was informed of the arrival of the Edgedancers, a concealed consternation and terror, as is common in such cases, fell upon him; although they were not the most demanding of orders, their graceful, limber movements hid a deadliness that was, by this time, quite renowned; also, they were the most articulate and refined of the Radiants.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Based on some of Lift's behavior, especially the time in Edgedancer when she speaks to the urchin about the orphanage, I have a suspicion that the Edgedancer resonance involves a gift of tongues sort of thing. That could fit pretty well with them being "articulate and refined".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lift talked Nale out of his centuries/millennia long crusade against surgebinders.

In her conversation with Nale/Darkness in the Everstorm, she speaks like someone twice her age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

She probably is twice her apparent age. At least.

It’s pretty explicit that her wish was to remain unchanging in some way or another.