Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Terrorforge posted:

How long have you been using them? It looks like you have them set similarly to what I had and it looks real nice in screenshots, but looking at it constantly quickly got exhausting for me.

Hundreds of hours at this point. The grain and sharpness does add a lot more visual information, but I don't find it fatiguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

horse mans posted:

Hundreds of hours at this point. The grain and sharpness does add a lot more visual information, but I don't find it fatiguing.

You can also tone down the sharpening, grain, vignette, radial blurring, etc. in any ENB, alongside the absurd number of changes you can make to the color and lighting.

For example, this is the same ENB and weather mod after some tweaking:

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I am psyched for the new sim settlements update tomorrow. My biggest issue with it was that you couldn't do anything with it in the existing buildings in each settlement, looks like that's gonna be a thing of the past.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

turn off the TV posted:

You can also tone down the sharpening, grain, vignette, radial blurring, etc. in any ENB, alongside the absurd number of changes you can make to the color and lighting.

For example, this is the same ENB and weather mod after some tweaking:

That's exactly the visual style I couldn't deal with. I think it's something about the dark, saturated look that just makes my stomach heave. Which is weird because "dark and saturated" is what I was going for in the first place. IIRC I turned off the camera and film filters and it's better, but I haven't played in a while now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Terrorforge posted:

That's exactly the visual style I couldn't deal with. I think it's something about the dark, saturated look that just makes my stomach heave. Which is weird because "dark and saturated" is what I was going for in the first place. IIRC I turned off the camera and film filters and it's better, but I haven't played in a while now.

My problem is dark and desaturated, that screenshot was/is taken in the shadow of a building. As in, that's about as dark as it gets outdoors during NAC's darker sunny day weather.

What really gets me about FO4 is that exterior shadows seem to only come in one intensity, so the shadow of a stop sign alongside a road is just as dark as the inside of lightless tunnel, so long as the tunnel is in the exterior worldspace. It makes everything look really ugly and flat.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I've been trying to play this game with some mods on my kinda weak-rear end rig, and it's just giving me an absolutely miserable time. Here's the load list I'm using:

Basically, it seems to work fine for the most part, but it'll randomly just freeze and then crash and immediately close, without an error message or anything. Anybody know if there's some kinda conflict in any of the mods I'm using? Is there any way to check why the game is crashing, like an error log or something? Maybe the problem has nothing to do with mods and everything to do with Fallout 4 being a terrible buggy mess.

(And for the record, the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch is disabled because I don't have any of the DLC, and it's been disabled since I uninstalled and reinstalled the game.)

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread, I just got back into this game because I saw Sim Settlements, and lurking has been a god send. I'm now rolling Horizon + Settlements with some utility mods that Horizon listed as being highly compatible. Based on the screenshots posted I just got NAC and jfc, night and day with that mod. I'm probably going to reroll now that I understand Horizon a bit better and with the new Sim Settlements version posted above coming out tomorrow.

Question on Horizon: I really am not a big fan of it mechanically at the start of the game, and the high reliance on a large stat spread to be able to dip into all the crafting branches early on, which feels necessary. Am I just playing this wrong? I looked at your short guide horse mans, and I feel like that I probably am. Is it better to focus on what I want for my character and then let Settler jobs handle the other stuff? Can they even do it? I mean you need perks in Gun Nut, Blacksmith, Medic, Science and Armorer to do a lot of very basic level crafting, Local Leader for dealing with your settlers, you'll need Robotics Expert for cargo bots at a minimum, with Demolitions Expert being very sexy. To get those all to level 1, you'd need Str 4, Per 5, Cha 6, Int 8. That's 19 of your starting points to be what feels like baseline competent for Horizons expectations. And that doesn't even handle the fact that in the start guns just loving suck as far as I can tell. I had way more effect running in and bashing people's heads in with a lead pipe, which is a great way to play, but not how i'm interested in playing. Plinking a dude for 5 minutes as we duck back and forth between cover with my .38 pipe pistol is annoying as gently caress, but up until level 6 I never had more than 20 rounds of anything else. Mind you the double barrel shotgun was loving beautiful at close range, so once I got that my raider killing was less painful on the raider bosses.

I've been considering just using console commands to hit those perk minimums (which feels way less cheaty than in previous games since the effect is pretty minimal now that skills don't exist), and give myself a decent gun non-damaged gun at lvl 5 if I haven't found one yet, like the lever action. I really like a lot that horizon does, but it really does seem to want you to focus vertical while demanding you invest horizontal at the same time, which is a pretty poor design choice. This leads me to believe I am likely approaching it wrong.

As a sidenote, I am not playing on survival mode, but do enforce a lot of the mechanics on myself. I really wish you could turn those things on incrementally. I've had too many issues with crashes/glitching into walls to not have access to F5 and console commands. I actually enjoy wandering the wastes, so I rarely even fast traveled in vanilla, and enforcing eating food and water on myself isn't too bad, although definitely guess work. To handle ammo weight I limit myself to one bag slot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Definitely use Contracted Work for the cargo bots.
Re: survival mode, I have it on but with another mod that re-enables the Console (for debugging). Horizon has saving built into it via the portable memory devices.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I've been trying to play this game with some mods on my kinda weak-rear end rig, and it's just giving me an absolutely miserable time. Here's the load list I'm using:

Basically, it seems to work fine for the most part, but it'll randomly just freeze and then crash and immediately close, without an error message or anything. Anybody know if there's some kinda conflict in any of the mods I'm using? Is there any way to check why the game is crashing, like an error log or something? Maybe the problem has nothing to do with mods and everything to do with Fallout 4 being a terrible buggy mess.

(And for the record, the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch is disabled because I don't have any of the DLC, and it's been disabled since I uninstalled and reinstalled the game.)

Scrap Everything needs to be dead last in your load order. No exceptions.

Basically, sort your mods manually and stay away from Loot.

Gambit, author of Armorsmith Extended, made a guide for this.

_SHARED RESOURCES

_SETTLEMENT BUILDING MODS esms

_BUG FIXES

_SETTLEMENT BUILDING MODS

_GAMEPLAY TWEAKS

_FOLLOWER TWEAKS

_AESTHETIC TWEAKS

_SETTLEMENT TWEAKS

_ITEM SORTING

_BODY REPLACER

_WEAPONS

_ARMOR - CLOTHING

_CRAFTING

_WEAPON MODDING

_ARMOR - CLOTHING MODDING

_Armorsmith Extended

_Mods that rely on Armorsmith as Master.

I've been sorting my mods like this ever since I found it and I've never had a problem.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

TaintedBalance posted:

Question on Horizon: I really am not a big fan of it mechanically at the start of the game, and the high reliance on a large stat spread to be able to dip into all the crafting branches early on, which feels necessary. Am I just playing this wrong?

Your first time(s) playing Horizon it's probably best to stay on those rails. It's very possible to play Horizon in different ways, but you'll need to understand what you need and how to get it if you don't have the "easy mode" build. For reference, the first time I finished the game it was with a Commando with no resource perks, no advanced crafting perks, no lock picking/hacking and a horrifically delayed settlement progression. So it's definitely doable.

I also disagree that Science! and Robotics Expert are mandatory. They're good for keeping the early-mid game painless, but the real attribute tax is 7 for Technologist, without which the early game is haaaaaaaard. For more tips there's a New Player Guide on the nexus and The Wanderer recently started a video series about getting the best/easiest start.

TaintedBalance posted:

And that doesn't even handle the fact that in the start guns just loving suck as far as I can tell. I had way more effect running in and bashing people's heads in with a lead pipe, which is a great way to play, but not how i'm interested in playing. Plinking a dude for 5 minutes as we duck back and forth between cover with my .38 pipe pistol is annoying as gently caress, but up until level 6 I never had more than 20 rounds of anything else.

[...]

I've been considering just using console commands to hit those perk minimums (which feels way less cheaty than in previous games since the effect is pretty minimal now that skills don't exist), and give myself a decent gun non-damaged gun at lvl 5 if I haven't found one yet, like the lever action.

A whole 20 rounds? Use them, moneypants!

But yeah it's a well-known fact that melee is vital for the early stages. The basic pipe gun is pretty rear end, but ftr if it takes more than 2-3 headshots to down a raider you have a mod conflict. It should be pretty easy to find a pipe revolver or bolt-action, though. In fact there's a bolt-action just laying on the floor in the house overlooking the camp site near the Museum of Freedom in Concord. And I don't think consoling in a weapon would actually help you all that much. Better guns use better, rarer ammo and require higher levels of Gun Nut to upgrade, so those are bigger limiting factors. Level 5 is a big power spike, anyway.

TaintedBalance posted:

As a sidenote, I am not playing on survival mode, but do enforce a lot of the mechanics on myself. I really wish you could turn those things on incrementally. I've had too many issues with crashes/glitching into walls to not have access to F5 and console commands. I actually enjoy wandering the wastes, so I rarely even fast traveled in vanilla, and enforcing eating food and water on myself isn't too bad, although definitely guess work. To handle ammo weight I limit myself to one bag slot.

Plenty of mods that do that sort of thing, because the default survival mechanics are dumb. Survival Options is the big one and lets you customize almost everything. I don't use it though and I don't think it plays super well with Horizon. I've just been using a simple file to enable the console. That specific one seems to be taken down, but there are a million different versions on the Nexus. I've also made extensive use of Sleep or Save along with Horizon's memory devices, but now that Horizon has a death handling feature and built-in periodic autosaves I see no reason not to just re-enable quicksave for extra protection if you want to, provided you have the discipline not to save scum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's worth noting that as of recently horizon has a bunch of different ammos in the same "tier" so to speak, so .223, .308 (used to be .45-70 but I think the last patch changed that to higher tier) 9mm, .38, and .357 are all quite low tier and you can make a kit to let you switch guns between ammo types on the fly, especially pipe guns.

The starter magnum you can find in the water machine near sanctuary for example can be chambered in .357 which is pretty low tier and doesn't use a huge amount of powder to craft, but it still packs a fair punch, so you can use that magnum as a starter gun.

Same with the varmint rifle, try to get one as soon as you can and see what it chambers in, as I recall it can use quite a few of the low tier ammos while being quite damage efficient and accurate.

The other thing is that horizon almost always makes automatic/semiauto completely independent of receiver/ammo/damage, so if you switch a gun into full auto, it will decimate things at the cost of burning through your ammo. This becomes more of an option the later you get and the more caps you start to make from setting up vendors (and converting their credits to caps using the workbench, it basically lets you siphon cash out of all of your settlements) and using those caps to buy more ammo/powder from the gun vendors.

I would suggest that the best way to play horizon is with sim settlements because it really helps you build up the resource base that you'll need to boost your power, horizon is ultimately about acquiring and spending resources efficiently and sim settlements lets you produce a lot of those resources from your settlements, in a less janky way than horizon does.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is there a mod that seamlessly dumps in a nice pile of new guns without being a buggy shitpile or having everything be overpowered? I wouldn't mind more gun variety, but don't want to try to add a bunch of different mods to make it work on top of the shitload of mods I just got to run without crashing.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sean10mm posted:

Is there a mod that seamlessly dumps in a nice pile of new guns without being a buggy shitpile or having everything be overpowered? I wouldn't mind more gun variety, but don't want to try to add a bunch of different mods to make it work on top of the shitload of mods I just got to run without crashing.

Your best bet is probably going to be finding an author's pack of their own weapons.

Stuff like this:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26076

If you're running pretty much any balance mods that would affect weapon stats and possibly perks you're going to be kind of SOL if you want anything to be compatible with them. Horizon is the only mod that I know of that has weapon compatibility patches.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is this a joke mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28716/

The "United Independent Federations"? The trailer looks like a Scary Movie style spoof of a dramatic game trailer.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
There's almost a gig of textures & audio files in there. Unless it's 10,000 copies of goatse and rickrolls that's alot of effort for a joke mod.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

The Fallout 4 modding community has many strengths, but self-awareness is not one of them.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Sim Settlements - Rise of the Commonwealth is out!

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28599

It's seriously amazing.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I hope I can still make my own stuff in Sim Settlements even using Rise of the Commonwealth.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I can't seem to get the City Manager workstation to like... work. I can build it, and I can use it to craft ASAMs and assign workers and poo poo, but that blueprint he mentions in the quick start video doesn't exist, and neither does that supply drawer.

I suspect Expanded Settlements or w/e is conflicting, so I'll try it with that disabled.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So does Horizons or Sim Settlements fix raiding being pointless?

I mean, if I wanted to build up a settlement where no one could die there are far better games to do that in. Actually having things that are hostile to your settlements makes the game far more interesting. Though i've never seen a settler die from an attack.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Archonex posted:

So does Horizons or Sim Settlements fix raiding being pointless?

I mean, if I wanted to build up a settlement where no one could die there are far better games to do that in. Actually having things that are hostile to your settlements makes the game far more interesting. Though i've never seen a settler die from an attack.

Settlers are "Protected", meaning they are effectively essential except that they can be killed by the player. Neither of the mods really does anything to change settlement attacks except put things in your settlement that are actually worth defending. I know there's plans to overhaul it in Horizon though, possibly as soon as the next major release.

e:

Gonkish posted:

I can't seem to get the City Manager workstation to like... work. I can build it, and I can use it to craft ASAMs and assign workers and poo poo, but that blueprint he mentions in the quick start video doesn't exist, and neither does that supply drawer.

I suspect Expanded Settlements or w/e is conflicting, so I'll try it with that disabled.

Silly question - did you actually download the expansion, or just the latest version of Sim Settlements?

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 30, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was going to say, it sounds like you need to download the latest sim settlements. That sounds like a desk from a previous version.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm enjoying that the new SS has added upkeep costs to turrets and generators. Actually adds a neat choice between using people to guard things and using turrets, and also more reason to use wind generators despite their larger footprint.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I know this is the 4 thread but I couldn't find a NV specific or Fallout general modding thread, does anyone know of a working mod list of basic stuff for New Vegas? Kind of want to play again but if it means having to find and work out dependencies of mods for a whole new fallout I'll probably just rebuild my 4 install and stick with it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

nessin posted:

I know this is the 4 thread but I couldn't find a NV specific or Fallout general modding thread, does anyone know of a working mod list of basic stuff for New Vegas? Kind of want to play again but if it means having to find and work out dependencies of mods for a whole new fallout I'll probably just rebuild my 4 install and stick with it.

This is the current FoNV one AFAIK: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

By now there is an absolute ton of "basic" stuff for NV. QuickLoot, grenade hotkey, sprint hotkey, mobile truck base, sort-a-matic, jsawyer, OHUD,...

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is there any sort of progression or permanence in Frost or is it just based around killing people and storing stuff in campfires?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

8 Ball posted:

Is there any sort of progression or permanence in Frost or is it just based around killing people and storing stuff in campfires?

There's story, but like most things in FROST it's just sort laying around for you to poke at if you feel like it. And of course there's mechanical progression, because even though it's hard as balls from the word go, some balls are bigger than others.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Terrorforge posted:

Silly question - did you actually download the expansion, or just the latest version of Sim Settlements?

I did both. I even went ahead and deleted, redownloaded, and reinstalled both through MO, and nothing. There is a blueprint on the desk but I can't use it, and the safe where you're meant to deposit scrap doesn't exist at all.

I tried disabling any other mods that affect settlements, and still nothing. I'm guessing something isn't working right with the latest version of MO (2.1.1)?

EDIT: Figured it out. The main mod has a change to the files that needs to overwrite the Industrial Revolution expansion, and since I was loading that after the main mod the wrong file was being loaded.

Long story short, proper install order in MO is Industrial Revolution first, main mod second, Rise of the Commonwealth third.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 31, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probable that you would need to update IR also, because you updated the main mod and some of its plots are now in the base mod.

Unrelated but Enhanced Lights and FX is really nice looking:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13596

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 31, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

OwlFancier posted:

It's probable that you would need to update IR also, because you updated the main mod and some of its plots are now in the base mod.

Good lord. :swoon:

I'm imagining a ghoul sprinting out of the dark areas in those pictures though. It's bad enough when you can barely see them. But that poo poo would turn it into a straight up horror game.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 31, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Did the author ever get around to fixing the performance issues this mod causes? It used to break the occlusion culling, which in certain cells (like the subway vault) absolutely destroyed by FPS.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Anyone using the latest beta of Workshop Rearranged? None of the wood or metal items have ground collision for me, it's as if Place Everywhere is in constant "surface snap off" mode with those. I've narrowed it down to WR but I find it a bit confusing that I couldn't find anyone else with this issue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Did the author ever get around to fixing the performance issues this mod causes? It used to break the occlusion culling, which in certain cells (like the subway vault) absolutely destroyed by FPS.

Dunno, it gives me poor performance in places but I thought that was just my crappy computer.

If you're on the nexus you might want to tell them about that problem because I don't think the author knows what causes slowdown.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 31, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Dang that's pretty - how does it get along with things like NAC? I feel like they should be compatible because this one seems like it only affects interior cells while NAC is exterior, but I'm never sure how mods that play with lighting will interact.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know it just edits the interior cells to put different lights in them, it's an artistic change rather than a fancy post process or whatever, I dunno what NAC is so I can't tell you for sure.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

Dunno, it gives me poor performance in places but I thought that was just my crappy computer.

If you're on the nexus you might want to tell them about that problem because I don't think the author knows what causes slowdown.

It sounds like he's working on fixing it already.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Dang that's pretty - how does it get along with things like NAC? I feel like they should be compatible because this one seems like it only affects interior cells while NAC is exterior, but I'm never sure how mods that play with lighting will interact.

NAC touches a bunch of interior cells for whatever reason when I looked at it months ago, but ELFX worked fine when placed after NAC in the load and install order.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've always wished that the commonwealth had a big underground area like Blackreach, connecting the caves and subways together so you could travel underground and have more of that gorgeous darkness and lighting engine. Honestly that mod just makes me wish I had the time and knowledge required to make areas. It really shows off what the engine can do.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

OwlFancier posted:

Fantastic shots! Thanks for sharing. They really drive home the desolation and loneliness of the commonwealth.

What I wouldn’t give for hundreds more interiors.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I've always wished that the commonwealth had a big underground area like Blackreach, connecting the caves and subways together so you could travel underground and have more of that gorgeous darkness and lighting engine. Honestly that mod just makes me wish I had the time and knowledge required to make areas. It really shows off what the engine can do.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18639/

horse mans posted:

Fantastic shots! Thanks for sharing. They really drive home the desolation and loneliness of the commonwealth.

What I wouldn’t give for hundreds more interiors.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4612/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tried it, it runs like absolute poo poo and most of it is copy pasted.

I'll give beantown interiors a whirl though as I didn't know about that one.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 31, 2017