Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

LuiCypher posted:

The fact that he's not in the game yet is evidence that someone at CA hates fun.

His legendary items should be:

One Axe
Two Axe
Red Axe
Blue Axe

ive been petitioning CA since tww1 to have slambo as LL

i'm holding out hope for tww3

edit: while im here at the top of the page, CA i demand that you put the rats song into total war

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

ive been petitioning CA since tww1 to have slambo as LL

i'm holding out hope for tww3

edit: while im here at the top of the page, CA i demand that you put the rats song into total war

Addendum: Rats AND Slambo. Or bust.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

turn off the TV posted:

The Dark Elf campaign just really made me wish that Black Arks could raid, or had lords embedded into them. Dark Elves seem like they're supposed to be emo pirates, but by the time you can really afford to travel the world raiding coastal settlements with your Black Arks and an accompanying lord you're rich enough that you don't exactly need to.

I've found no use for black arks at all, even though they're a cool concept. I either have a strong enough force to conquer where I want and recruit in place or I shouldn't be doing that.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gonkish posted:

Addendum: Rats AND Slambo. Or bust.

his mount is a chariot called the Slamboni

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

new phone who dis posted:

I've found no use for black arks at all, even though they're a cool concept. I either have a strong enough force to conquer where I want and recruit in place or I shouldn't be doing that.

I feel like vanilla black arks are mostly pointless. They take too long to tech up, are fragile as hell (even with a full garrison, which costs too much to justify), and can only recruit a limited range of units. Their replenishment and bombardments aren't bad, but they're not amazing either.

I downloaded a mod that made them slightly less fragile in combat, but even then they still need to be babysat all the time since the AI loves to snipe them at any opportunity, and their recruitment is ridiculously limited. I also added in a mod that lets the loving thing recruit the entire DE roster and, while arguably overpowered, it at least makes them an asset for invasions (and conveniently improves their garrison, at least somewhat).

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

My vote's for Ludmilla Loinripper.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They're more or less mobile cities with the bonus of being able to cast spells in a pretty large radius around themselves, on top of giving a decent bonus to income from sacking nearby settlements and bonus army replenishment. This allows armies to win fights that they really have no business taking, and then replenish themselves quickly. Later on they can be used to quickly poo poo out a full stack army, complete with a lord and appropriate heroes, in a few turns, which I found incredibly useful while I was conquering strategic locations with one or two good armies and then raising a new one in order to complement its garrison.

It's also worth keeping in mind that they work like lords and can have units embedded in their armies, which is a lifesaver when you absolutely need another stack or two immediately. When I conquered Altdorf the Vampire Counts and Empire both sent a combined total of 6 full stacks at me within the span of maybe 10 turns, and the ability to recruit a lord and immediately give them a full stack from one of my Black Arks in the next turn to reinforce the Altdorf garrison was a life saver.

Black Arks are just pretty drat handy to have around, but they're definitely more of a mobile logistical support center than a badass magical pirate castle ship.

Gonkish posted:

I feel like vanilla black arks are mostly pointless. They take too long to tech up, are fragile as hell (even with a full garrison, which costs too much to justify), and can only recruit a limited range of units. Their replenishment and bombardments aren't bad, but they're not amazing either.

I downloaded a mod that made them slightly less fragile in combat, but even then they still need to be babysat all the time since the AI loves to snipe them at any opportunity, and their recruitment is ridiculously limited. I also added in a mod that lets the loving thing recruit the entire DE roster and, while arguably overpowered, it at least makes them an asset for invasions (and conveniently improves their garrison, at least somewhat).

In SFO, at least, they can recruit like 5 or 6 units in one turn and can poop out anything except for Executioners, Black Guard and cavalry units.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The way I would have done it is to have them work as a meta transport for your other armies. The Black Ark functions as a mobile city (which it is) that can beach itself along any shore. One of your armies can 'board' the Black Ark and be carried by it, but the Ark itself can still build units that are garrisoned inside like it can now. If engaged at sea, you get a Black Ark map that the armies fight normally. The Black Ark would have better movement over sea, and more building options relating to bonuses from sea treasure, attrition immunity, and the ability to disembark the army directly on land even if you are adjacent to cliffs. An Ark (and any army stationed inside) could also besiege port cities directly from the ocean, making it harder for enemy reinforcements to stop you and giving access to the Ark's own complement to assist in the siege. The Ark would also still get its auras like it currently does.

This makes them more useful for pirating around; you can attack a shore from an unpredictable area, Sack or capture vulnerable ports, and use them to ferry armies around efficiently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They are making a new RPG for both Fantasy and Age of Sigmar. The later one should help the AoS setting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
With Tomb Kings release, they should really consider an overhaul of Treasure Hunting. It is a cool concept, but the rewards aren't worth it. But there are ways around that:

Scouting a ruin now will give much better rewards if you send in an army to treasure hunt. A scouted ruin is buffed for 3 turns, though if an enemy scouts it this cancels the effect. Detecting a scouted ruin works like ambush detection. Scouted ruins also provide other benefits- +ambush chance/detection for friendly armies in the territory, discounts to colonization costs (equal to the scouting cost, effectively making scouting free), revealing a large amount of fog of war around the area, and giving bonus leadership to all local armies. Some races have buildings that also affect scouting; certain Wood Elf outpost buildings, Dwarf Ranger building, etc can count all ruins in that province as 'scouted' unless scouted by an enemy.

A Scouted Ruin gives much better rewards for an army, and a clue as to the nature of the reward. Heroes with 'scout' ability can further increase the value of the reward. The rewards are broken up into a few categories:
-A trait system for colonized settlements themselves that affect things like build time, replenishment, growth, public order, bonus garrison units, reinforcement range, etc.
-Bonuses to the army comparable to the ones you find in the ocean (whole army gets regen/frenzy/stalk/magic damage/magic resist/etc for X turns)
-Bonuses to racial resource (Fightiness/Chivalry/Slaves/Food/Grudge Severity/Influence/Amber/etc)
-For races lacking a resource, exp is given instead to the lord/army.
-Random chance a regular Lord and/or embedded heroes gain Immortality skill.
-Current item under research is unlocked instantly

Now the reason I say release this with Tomb Kings is because I figure they could have Tomb Kings ruins give even higher rewards, to the extent that you could get a huge advantage early on if you luck out. However, this will always come at a huge cost as it will spawn Tomb Kings armies that wake up and try to take the stuff back. Your allies will also go treasure hunting which means you could have a lot of pissed off mummies taking it out on you if you happen to be closer.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Oh god lol. I was doing the dark elf campaign and I started my anti vortex thing so chaos armies invaded a town of mine. They had me 2-1 in numbers but I had the highground. After a long protracted battle they got everybody but my mounted crossbow hero stud. First i charged and melee'd the artillery and blew it up and the crew takes off. i then begin kiting the gently caress outta their hero and kill him. I kite the last 3 units until my ammo was spent. I thought i had it in the bag, melee the last handful of dudes when out of nowhere i get nuked and killed by artillery.

Apparently the crew ran over and assumed command of the cannon i had ran off earlier with calvary and blasted me

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

My vote's for Ludmilla Loinripper.

Chengis Crump or go home.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If you are momrathi on ME, I find a few uses for black arks. Since capturing frog land is a bad battle due to how deep you have to go, having one ark there acts as a good way to raid and raze cities and still have a way to replenish.

But they are too finicky and weak most of the time. Having a huge discount on unit upkeep and a stronger lord would probably help them out a lot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Devorum posted:

No love for Dread Indy Babylon?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What if a tomb kings' special feature is better ruin rewards and it was never really meant for other races?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What are the "good" WHFB books?

I only ever read G@F to about Shamanslayer. Are they good to the end? Are the Felix side stories any good?

I bought the 3 Thanquol books since I've heard good things.

I also grabbed Skarsnik and Headtaker. It looks like there is also a Wulfrik and Valkia book? Potentially more?

What are the books worth reading?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

No love for Dread Indy Babylon?

Sir Gigal the Appliance

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sir Gigal the Appliance

I want to know the name of the guy on the top right that was cut off by the printer.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Devorum posted:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tales from the Old World is decent, though that is short stories

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

When you click on Slambo there should be only one voice line which is "SLAMBO!"

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
make bloodbowl but for bball. games workshop please. pls gw. chaos dunk is real

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Soup du Journey posted:

make bloodbowl but for bball. games workshop please. pls gw. chaos dunk is real

GW presents: Basketskull!

Another newbie question here so im playing as the fat flying Get Out frog and having a reasonably successful campaign so far in like turn 65. There are those humans nearby who I have been friendly with. I'd really like to absorb them now and it would give me like two more provinces. How does the whole confederacy thing work? I think our relationship is around 90 or 100

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ME as High King Thorgrim Grudgebearer is so insane. Just constant non-stop attacks from every direction. The idiot dwarves to the South couldn't even stop one little Vampire army so now I have vampires running everywhere too. They're not hard to smack down, but the little purple idiots won't turn around and retake their city (I really prefer to let allies control their whole provinces instead of getting stuck trying to a lone itty bitty city while the AI holds the central city.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Lakedaimon posted:

Another newbie question here so im playing as the fat flying Get Out frog and having a reasonably successful campaign so far in like turn 65. There are those humans nearby who I have been friendly with. I'd really like to absorb them now and it would give me like two more provinces. How does the whole confederacy thing work? I think our relationship is around 90 or 100

You can only confederate with other Lizardmen, so these Empire heathens must be purged.
EDIT: That also means you'll get diplomacy penalties for breaking all the treaties. "Untrustworthy" for quite some time.

Jum-Jum fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 30, 2017

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Lakedaimon posted:

you can only confederate same-faction/race/whatever people, so you can only confederate other lizardmen. if you want them human lands you gotta beat 'em up

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Jum-Jum posted:

You can only confederate with other Lizardmen, so these Empire heathens must be purged.
EDIT: That also means you'll get diplomacy penalties for breaking all the treaties. "Untrustworthy" for quite some time.

Jokes on them i'm already untrustworthy!

(Thanks guys)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Suddenly turn on them and imagine a human asking "why" of a Saurus as it whacks him with a stone sword.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

JBP posted:

Suddenly turn on them and imagine a human asking "why" of a Saurus as it whacks him with a stone sword.

I have enought plaques to start the second incantation, so I think ill wait until after that. Im presuming a big fuckoff stack of Chaos guys will again pop out of the aether.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The popping out of the ether makes more sense if those stacks are supposed to be daemons and the burly spiky dudes are just a placeholder

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey, playing mortal empires as kroq. Don't want to go to war with my lizard neighbors, but I can't seem to get them to confederate with me, even though we have like 230 reputation, and am steadfast. I want that unique capital building, and I've already reached the sea, so there aren't any real enemies nearby. Am I just screwed? Is war the only way left?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Confederation in this game is basically "Oh, hey, so I just lost my last army and my capital is being besieged and I'm broke and a volcano is spewing death into my only city and there's a plague and Donald Trump is president now but like... I'm still not going to confederate with you because gently caress you for being the player."

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Confederation is a lot more difficult to pull off in Mortal Empires. In Vortex your whole species is pretty happy to band together once you hit the second ritual (at the latest) but for ME you generally only want to bother being nice to people who are far away or on land you don't want.

The Confederation difficulty is a pretty big problem for Brettonians (and to a lesser extent: Wood Elves) who were designed with the intent that you'd unite your people peacefully.

I hope we eventually get the Old World races represented in Vortex in some form since they're all on the map already anyway. How difficult could it be? :v:

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 30, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Leynos has released a mod that reintroduces WH1-esque regional occupation with flexibility for unsuitable climates: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1246143901&searchtext=

Basically, uninhabitable is just that: you can't conquer or colonize it. Unsuitable regions get hit with what seem to be vanilla uninhabitable penalties. Leynos, however, changed each faction's preferred climates, as well as some regions' climates. Not every change may be to one's tastes, but if anything, at least this shows that modders can restrict colonization and conquest according to climate.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonkish posted:

Confederation in this game is basically "Oh, hey, so I just lost my last army and my capital is being besieged and I'm broke and a volcano is spewing death into my only city and there's a plague and Donald Trump is president now but like... I'm still not going to confederate with you because gently caress you for being the player."

the best was in Rome 2 when they'd be all like "you want peace? then give up your weapons :smug:" while i was sieging their last settlement.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hey, playing mortal empires as kroq. Don't want to go to war with my lizard neighbors, but I can't seem to get them to confederate with me, even though we have like 230 reputation, and am steadfast. I want that unique capital building, and I've already reached the sea, so there aren't any real enemies nearby. Am I just screwed? Is war the only way left?

I had the same thing in my last Kroq game. Break all your treaties with them at the same time, they might just declare on you. If not, war them 10 turns later.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

toasterwarrior posted:

Leynos has released a mod that reintroduces WH1-esque regional occupation with flexibility for unsuitable climates: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1246143901&searchtext=

Basically, uninhabitable is just that: you can't conquer or colonize it. Unsuitable regions get hit with what seem to be vanilla uninhabitable penalties. Leynos, however, changed each faction's preferred climates, as well as some regions' climates. Not every change may be to one's tastes, but if anything, at least this shows that modders can restrict colonization and conquest according to climate.

That's kind of an all or nothing approach, though. In ~the lore~ Nagarythe really is supposed to be a hosed up barely inhabitable shithole because it's one of Warhammer's many magic Chernobyl Exclusion Zones. It still makes sense that Malekith would want to conquer it, though, because it's his kingdom.

I'd much rather see a system where AI priorities are distributed on a per faction basis, so Malekith's AI would have like a "reclaim kingdom" trait where he has crazy diplomatic penalties with factions that control territory in Ulthuan and his AI would be weighted to target it. I know that that was possible to do something along those lines in Warhammer 1, because either the vanilla game or the mods I was using gave Skarsnik and Belegar the trait "Wants Karak Eight Peaks," which made them prioritize that region and get pissy with whoever owned it.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello friends, a few days ago i got hit by the modding fever again and have made a Dark Elf overhaul mod: Sa'an'ishar.

This mod, which is partly based on "Improved Black Arks", will give you Improved Black Ark mechanics, better Names of Power, better walls for Naggarond, better Dark Elf rites, faster techs, one new tech (want friendly norscans? Pay the man!), and some minor touch-ups like a buff to unmounted Death Hags.

Basically it does a ton of stuff for the Dark Elves, but perhaps the biggest features are that Black Arks will be easier to get (only 100 slaves and 1k gold cost to summon), easier to maintain (basic units inside the ark are very cheap upkeepwise), faster recruitments (from 1 to 3 recruitment slots) and a new unique feature that makes them feel much more epic with an immunity to anything sea related within its sphere of influence!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

New Butt Order posted:

Confederation is a lot more difficult to pull off in Mortal Empires. In Vortex your whole species is pretty happy to band together once you hit the second ritual (at the latest) but for ME you generally only want to bother being nice to people who are far away or on land you don't want.

The Confederation difficulty is a pretty big problem for Brettonians (and to a lesser extent: Wood Elves) who were designed with the intent that you'd unite your people peacefully.

I hope we eventually get the Old World races represented in Vortex in some form since they're all on the map already anyway. How difficult could it be? :v:

At least for Brettonia, you have to conquer most of the land back from dwarves, undead, and estalians anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

After a couple of minutes of searching I think I found out how to stop or severely discourage the AI from settling regions with unsuitable climates. cai_task_management_system_task_generators.xml assigns and weighs AI tasks based on personality type. Two of these tasks are CAI_TMS_TASK_GENERATOR_ATTACK_UNSUITABLE_CLIMATE_REGIONS, another is CAI_TMS_TASK_GENERATOR_ATTACK_ABANDONED_UNSUITABLE_CLIMATE_REGIONS. On an XML file with 704 entries, probably 50% of them fall between a weight of 1 and -1, with the low being -20 (for the AI doing things that would super piss the player off, but probably has to do to itself), and the high being 100 (for tasks related to using Skaven rite abilities). Almost everything is between 15 and -5, though. Those two tasks for attacking settlements in unsuitable climates are weighed between 1 and -0.5.

In other words, if I'm reading this file right the AI's task manager doesn't see attacking cities in unsuitable climates as that bad of a thing, which makes sense, but it also doesn't see attacking ruins in unsuitable climates as a bad thing(slightly better, actually), which is what's probably leading to problems, because attacking ruins is what makes them decide whether or not to colonize a city, and as far as I can tell there's no way to tell the AI not to colonize ruins in specific climates.