Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Jesus, some of this game is painful to watch. "Emotionally hard" is a good way to put it. Definitely not the depth I'd expect for the series that has "killing mecha-hitler" as its defining moment. Although, surely they could wait until after reattaching your head before asking you waht snazzy piece of gear you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neat. But I still wouldn't rate crazy nazi hag high on the scale of nazi villains. She didn't even slice out his eyes with a scythe.

Although I got the beheading spoiled by a freaking comment in the very video, I thought it was crazy nazi who wanted to put his head on a robot so he could only helplessly watch as it went after his friends.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Even before the release of the game, B.J. getting his body fixed was revealed in some of the videos showing off the gameplay. In Roswell, he still had a max health of 50, while in a video set in New Orleans he was back to 100.

The courtroom scene is strange in that they shoved in so much Nazi iconography yet left the judge with a black robe instead of the (for German judges) traditional red. Compare this scene from the Sophie Scholl film:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEjbd5z7Jo&t=82s. Also, it is funny that, apart from the judge, there are only fully armoured soldiers hanging around the court - seems like they couldn't be bothered to model other officials that would likely be present.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Sometimes it seems the society nazi-america entirely consists of anonymous gas mask soldiers in full combat gear (besides the good guys). At least you don't have to agonize about buying the correct brand of jeans anymore in this comic book villain tyranny.

But you have to agonize over your new shiny piece of battle equipment while being a chopped off head. Give me a break guys...

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 27, 2017

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Also, the soldiers parading around in the Roswell level were all in grey uniforms, full combat gear and the commanders were wearing the usual leather coat. All this in New Mexico in July, where temperatures typically approach 40 degrees celsius. And in the previous game, the Afrika Korps soldiers in the ruined bridge level were dressed in desert-pattern uniforms presumably designed to be more comfortable in hot weather.

Another way the developers missed an opportunity to do a bit of world-building: several characters smoke, even Frau Engel, and in the first game there were ads for Wolf brand cigarettes. This is actually pretty un-Nazi: the historical ones conducted anti-tobacco campaigns and banned smoking in public buildings and transportation. Would have been more interesting if tobacco was banned and only available on the black market, which is commonly considered yet another oppressive Nazi policy. At the same time, Pervitin (amphetamine) should be available from any drugstore.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 27, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Kopijeger posted:

Also, the soldiers parading around in the Roswell level were all in grey uniforms, full combat gear and the commanders were wearing the usual leather coat. All this in New Mexico in July, where temperatures typically approach 40 degrees celsius. And in the previous game, the Afrika Korps soldiers in the ruined bridge level were dressed in desert-pattern uniforms presumably designed to be more comfortable in hot weather.

Another way the developers missed an opportunity to do a bit of world-building: several characters smoke, even Frau Engel, and in the first game there were ads for Wolf brand cigarettes. This is actually pretty un-Nazi: the historical ones conducted anti-tobacco campaigns and banned smoking in public buildings and transportation. Would have been more interesting if tobacco was banned and only available on the black market, which is commonly considered yet another oppressive Nazi policy. At the same time, Pervitin (amphetamine) should be available from any drugstore.

You know, i can't decide if the game should keep the more grounded irl designs and historical research or embrace the parody of flying fortresses and nazi moon bases.
Remember the judge, we faced in court? Part of me wishes they would have gone for a more flashy attire for him. Crazy gas mask with horns and siting on a giant hover chair formed like a swastika. Ah, i can still hope...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I thought the judge felt suitably imposing. The combo of a high seat, giant Nazi flags everywhere, and the absence of any other personnel beyond Stormtroopers made the trial very stark and alien. I mean, sure, wasting the Hitler painting texture on a wall in a hallway somewhere instead of behind the judge was a strange choice, but eh.

The scene felt like a kangaroo court, but also intentionally so. Justice is gone. The legal system has been replaced with jackboots and public execution.

Hey Lazyfire, are you going to show off what the different sets of gear do, or just stick to one in a Fergus and Wyatt situation?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Crazy Achmed posted:

Although, surely they could wait until after reattaching your head before asking you waht snazzy piece of gear you want?

This head re-attachment poo poo is probably the craziest thing I have ever seen in a video game but the way they're all in a line holding up his new gear like he's picking his prize on a game show is maybe the most surreal aspect of it. Just sitting in front of his head in a jar asking him what he wants for Christmas.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

The courtroom scene is strange in that they shoved in so much Nazi iconography yet left the judge with a black robe instead of the (for German judges) traditional red. Compare this scene from the Sophie Scholl film:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEjbd5z7Jo&t=82s. Also, it is funny that, apart from the judge, there are only fully armoured soldiers hanging around the court - seems like they couldn't be bothered to model other officials that would likely be present.

I guess the judge is still an American judge despite the change in management. Also we only see the rest of the courtroom in a dream sequence iirc. Otherwise BJ's just pointed at the judge between having his hood removed and then put back on. (ETA: Nope, I'm wrong, you see one shot from the bench and the room's empty.)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 27, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Going back and watching the video to check something in my last post reminded me of one of the more effective things in this part: the way the National Mall's been redone to basically be a courtyard between a bunch of new Nazi buildings, in addition to how built up that area of DC now seems to be. Hitler replacing Lincoln is a classic Wolf over-the-top touch but I was way more unnerved by the Washington Monument basically being reduced to a bit of decorative sculpture alongside more massive Nazi brutalist architecture.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GunnerJ posted:

This head re-attachment poo poo is probably the craziest thing I have ever seen in a video game but the way they're all in a line holding up his new gear like he's picking his prize on a game show is maybe the most surreal aspect of it. Just sitting in front of his head in a jar asking him what he wants for Christmas.

The thing that gets me is that you don't even get to try them out. All you have to go by is their appearance and name. A different game would wait until you have a good head on good shoulders and give you trials, or at least give you short videos or descriptions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey Lazyfire, are you going to show off what the different sets of gear do, or just stick to one in a Fergus and Wyatt situation?

You get a chance to pick up the two you don't select, so we'll see all of them eventually.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GunnerJ posted:

Going back and watching the video to check something in my last post reminded me of one of the more effective things in this part: the way the National Mall's been redone to basically be a courtyard between a bunch of new Nazi buildings, in addition to how built up that area of DC now seems to be. Hitler replacing Lincoln is a classic Wolf over-the-top touch but I was way more unnerved by the Washington Monument basically being reduced to a bit of decorative sculpture alongside more massive Nazi brutalist architecture.

Additionally, isn't there a law in DC that you can't build higher than a certain number of floors, so you won't hide the view of the Monument?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, I'm emotionally checked out of the series now. New Order went from fun to emotionally fatiguing, and now... nope, I am not even pretending to give a crap about these people anymore.

Less grimdark, more Indiana Jones Weird War Two poo poo, please.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I'm emotionally checked out of the series now. New Order went from fun to emotionally fatiguing, and now... nope, I am not even pretending to give a crap about these people anymore.

Less grimdark, more Indiana Jones Weird War Two poo poo, please.

That's fair but I think after getting your head chopped off and immediately replacing your failing old body with the body of a literal super-soldier things can only go up

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SgtSteel91 posted:

That's fair but I think after getting your head chopped off and immediately replacing your failing old body with the body of a literal super-soldier things can only go up

One of the big surprises for me after this segment was the much "lighter" tone things take. Light in the Wolfenstein sense, not by any means happy and bright, but there is far less doom and gloom.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Kinda surprised you haven't grabbed the chargeshot for the laser, or the armor piercing for the AR, they just utterly clown anything armored :v: Especially the chargeshot, it will clown ANYTHING in this game in one or two shots, yes even that thing we haven't seen, lazyfire. It's really an easymode upgrade.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

If I had to say one thing about the recent episode, I am genuinely amazed that it has taken until 1961 for the Nazis to make a shotgun turret. That is some serious ball dropping on their part.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

AradoBalanga posted:

If I had to say one thing about the recent episode, I am genuinely amazed that it has taken until 1961 for the Nazis to make a shotgun turret. That is some serious ball dropping on their part.

It's pretty much just a downsized Flakvierling innit?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

Kinda surprised you haven't grabbed the chargeshot for the laser, or the armor piercing for the AR, they just utterly clown anything armored :v: Especially the chargeshot, it will clown ANYTHING in this game in one or two shots, yes even that thing we haven't seen, lazyfire. It's really an easymode upgrade.

Weapon spoilers: I specifically didn't take the charge shot on the laser cannon so you can get a frame of reference for how strong it gets with the charge going vs. trying to kill a specific enemy without the charge available. Armor piercing rounds on the AR are a priority, though. They roll in with the next round of upgrades

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The shotgun turret is a bag of rear end that has failed me every time I use it in the courtroom fight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Usually you need to hold down both buttons so it fires twice as fast. I'm surprised Lazyfire survived without that.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Really Pants posted:

Usually you need to hold down both buttons so it fires twice as fast. I'm surprised Lazyfire survived without that.

He did do that a few times though? I noticed the ROF ramp up at several points during the fight.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Shotgun turret is the best turret and also the only turret

Also the courtroom fight is hard as gently caress and Lazyfire made it look much easier than it is

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, you can stop using spoilers when talking about the plot points from the last episode now.

A note on the Contraptions: You can get all of them through the course of the game. I highly suggest it as each has a different set of uses and sometimes you want to pop in from a roof or sneak in from a vent rather than burst through a grated wall. For my money the Ramshackle is the best option simply because it has a permanent offensive use in the bull charge and a fantastic passive feature in the "not getting knocked over by explosives" thing. You don't see it happen to me too often in the previous videos, but when you go horizontal in this game it is a real problem and anything that lets you avoid being stuck on the ground unable to move for a few seconds is well worth it. This is especially true when I'm playing as my lack of ability to do stealth during this LP means I'm more likely to get hit with something that could knock me over.

The constrictor harness has the second best options, in case you were wondering my opinion. Being able to walk like normal while stalking Nazis as part of the passive advantages of the device is just perfect. I keep thinking that was a perk to be unlocked rather than a contraption passive, but either this video or the next I put the full list of abilities up on screen. I forget which because I had to record this one twice. Thank god I remembered to save hop.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The tonal shift after the execution is such a complete 180 that I couldn't help wondering if this is supposed to be real, too.

One little detail I liked is that the super-soldier body has all these inorganic, regular angles in the shapes of its muscles. It's very obviously something that was constructed.

Personally I rate the Constrictor Harness best for this first choice, followed by the Battle Walker, and the Ram Shackles last despite how much fun it is to :killdozer: Nazis. BJ's still kind of made of paper at this point and anything that helps you catch fewer bullets is worth its weight in gold. The Walker's main use is kinda lame but its associated perks are a huge boost to your durability, much more so than the Shackles' perks in my experience.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Also the super-soldier body apparently doesn't have nipples

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Really Pants posted:

The tonal shift after the execution is such a complete 180 that I couldn't help wondering if this is supposed to be real, too.

One little detail I liked is that the super-soldier body has all these inorganic, regular angles in the shapes of its muscles. It's very obviously something that was constructed.

Personally I rate the Constrictor Harness best for this first choice, followed by the Battle Walker, and the Ram Shackles last despite how much fun it is to :killdozer: Nazis. BJ's still kind of made of paper at this point and anything that helps you catch fewer bullets is worth its weight in gold. The Walker's main use is kinda lame but its associated perks are a huge boost to your durability, much more so than the Shackles' perks in my experience.

The Shackles give you passive regeneration of armor in 25 point chunks as their passive upgrade, and you get their passive upgrade immediately if you choose them. That's actually pretty huge, because it means that four helmets dropped by dead Nazis can take you from 0 armor to 100 armor if you're a little patient.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I found that was a big help between battles, but not so much in the middle of them--especially since you'll be charging straight into Nazi fire and setting off alarms by smashing down doors.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The constrictor harness has a nice side benefit--it slows down time when a non-alerted nazi sees you so you can get off a quick execution/get back into hiding.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That woman who took you down to the Ram Shackle task is so Finnish it's amazing. That thing she says to you at the beginning, 'Perkele' is practically the nation's favourite word, while 'Sisu' refers to a uniquely Finnish form of courage and determination that comes out when you're facing impossible odds.

And of course there's her desire for a sauna :allears:

EDIT: Also, to celebrate the lighter tone that's apparently coming, The Finnish Way of Drinking!.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 29, 2017

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The stilts look good as hell and I can't wait to see them in action. Also, that constrictor thing is goddamn horrifying. BJ is pretty much a supernatural horror movie villain with it. Creep through a tiny loving pipe and start silently chopping up guys from angles any normal human couldn't realistically reach. Terror Billy indeed.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I love how she told you to "stay on the platform" and the very first thing you did was jump.

I've personally made an effort to never jump on a moving elevator in a game where falling damage is a thing, ever since that one time I killed myself by doing so in the first Halo because one of the big elevators in I think the fifth level descends faster than a falling player does.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm amazed that with all that Anya did to get back BJ's gear, she didn't stumble on Rip's corpse and set it on fire as revenge or something else to desecrate the body. I was half-expecting Set to go into detail about Anya just casually destroying her late father-in-law's corpse like it was nothing, but nope, we didn't get that.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I hope the game really does justice to the idea that someone who got publicly beheaded on live television is now back and more powerful than ever, and his name is Terror Billy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CommissarMega posted:

That woman who took you down to the Ram Shackle task is so Finnish it's amazing. That thing she says to you at the beginning, 'Perkele' is practically the nation's favourite word, while 'Sisu' refers to a uniquely Finnish form of courage and determination that comes out when you're facing impossible odds.

And of course there's her desire for a sauna :allears:

EDIT: Also, to celebrate the lighter tone that's apparently coming, The Finnish Way of Drinking!.

On a related note, I enjoy the Swedish woman who just really wants everyone to be friends, okej?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's interesting how on the contraption screen, the names of the first-tier ability for each one are in German whereas all the others are English. I think the implication is that while the Nazis developed the basic device, Set's improved them and added all these cool extra abilities.

Also did I miss something or did you deliberately not mouse-over the one called "Terror-Billy"?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Crazy Achmed posted:

It's interesting how on the contraption screen, the names of the first-tier ability for each one are in German whereas all the others are English. I think the implication is that while the Nazis developed the basic device, Set's improved them and added all these cool extra abilities.

Also did I miss something or did you deliberately not mouse-over the one called "Terror-Billy"?

That's the one I described, where the horror at seeing Nazi-murder made flesh in BJ--back from the dead--causes them to pause for a moment before they can properly react.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

On a related note, I enjoy the Swedish woman who just really wants everyone to be friends, okej?

As a bonus for us Nordics, there is also her little untranslated remarks, like when she refers to Fergus' mechanical arm as a "skitäcklig robotarm" (poo poo-repugnant robot arm) and when one of Grace's group tells her about what it was like when the bomb fell she goes "Fy fan vilket helvete" (drat, how hellish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

OAquinas posted:

That's the one I described, where the horror at seeing Nazi-murder made flesh in BJ--back from the dead--causes them to pause for a moment before they can properly react.

Holy crap this is the best powerup.

• Locked thread