Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Halo14 posted:

Thanks Today morning show. I really needed to know how many hours per week the average employee works to contribute to welfare payments. Very informative.

a very lovely segment unless the answer is 'not enough'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That's already on every tax return though?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Before Times posted:

It's that whole thing of "entry level job, need 5 years experience and 2 masters degrees". Nobody wants to train anyone properly anymore (and especially not pay them while they're being trained) and instead wants ready-made workers.

Well we can't drop the requirements! All the applicants we get these days are really poo poo at what they do! The answer must be to demand even more experience for entry level positions! And then open the foreign applicants even more because that's the only place you'll get an applicant for a grad position with ten years experience on the resume.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've always held that the greatest thing the ADF could ever do to make Australia safer is to issue their soldiers with shovels, hammers and saws and teach them how to build infrastructure in our dirt poor neighbours.

Clean water, electricity, an international school of the air, directly improve the lives of everyone around us. A million different way, big and small, to do the right thing.

You know, being the good guys.

Instead we're perfectly content to let even our vassal states, like Nauru, rot and suffer :(

You're on the right track...

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How is all this shooty poo poo going to stop ISIS people from driving cars into pedestrians?
Once we have removed all of the spurious structures and vegetation, pedestrians in the CBD will be able to see oncoming vehicles in plenty of time to avoid them.
Sounds SO much better than 'The Intervention'.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

...so, just quickly popping my head in for a quick question, but what has happened to the abc news website? it used to be a pretty good read, but now its style is getting more and more click-bait-ish. 'Five questions Star Wars must answer', 'Ten must know things about Christmas you have to know'. just seems to be getting worse and worse

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

SecretOfSteel posted:

...so, just quickly popping my head in for a quick question, but what has happened to the abc news website? it used to be a pretty good read, but now its style is getting more and more click-bait-ish. 'Five questions Star Wars must answer', 'Ten must know things about Christmas you have to know'. just seems to be getting worse and worse

They have stacked the editorial staff with numptys from news corpse/Fairfax....

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The ABC was well liked and Abbott promised not to mess with it...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
IF radio stars and others grandstanding about Australia Day wanted to do something to help our Aboriginal population, they’d protest disadvantage, not countdowns.

:thunk:

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

IF they gave a poo poo.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
It depends on what your definition of help is. Their definition is 'help them to stop reminding me they exist'.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Ten Becquerels posted:

It depends on what your definition of help is. Their definition is 'help them to stop reminding me they exist'.

During the Voluntary Assisted Dying stuff, while the public hearings and inquiries were going on, there was this particular high-profile activist who attended most days. Because of the nature of his terminal illness, he had an oxygen mask and other breathing equipment with him, sitting in the gallery, minding his own business. During the lunch break one day, a group of people from a religious organisation who were also watching went up to one of the attendants and asked if the guy could be removed as it was distressing to them to see him.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Whitlam posted:

During the Voluntary Assisted Dying stuff, while the public hearings and inquiries were going on, there was this particular high-profile activist who attended most days. Because of the nature of his terminal illness, he had an oxygen mask and other breathing equipment with him, sitting in the gallery, minding his own business. During the lunch break one day, a group of people from a religious organisation who were also watching went up to one of the attendants and asked if the guy could be removed as it was distressing to them to see him.

You know this makes their paranoia that we'd kill off all disabled people with euthanasia make a lot more sense. They'd like to, but are compelled not to.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

John Birmingham, tramping the dirt down:

quote:

A long time ago, in a magazine far far way—well, okay, the old Bulletin mag before it folded—I was asked to write an obituary for Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen, premier of Queensland and the closest thing to an actual fascist dictator this country has ever known.
The obit pre-dated the internet and the magazine is long gone, but it was a piece of writing I always treasured.
I had reason to track it down this week because Sir Joh’s wife, Lady Flo, finally lost her grip on the mortal world.
It was not an unhappy moment for the nation.
To mark it, and my disgust at the deliberate hagiography surrounding that vile pair, I have dug it out of my paper archives and rewritten it to reflect Flo’s passing into the fires of Hell.

Not everyone’s a hypocrite. Some of us will pour one out for the late Flo Bjelke-Petersen, purely to send the old witch down to whatever level of hell currently plays host to the tormented shade of her unlamented husband, Sir Joh, the last of the hillbilly dictators.

If ever you needed another reason to stoke your contempt for the top hatted muppet currently impersonating a Prime Minister (spoiler, I know you don’t) Mycroft Trumble’s dewy eyed tweet in praise of Lady Flo this week was just the ticket.

In all of the maudlin, confected nostalgia generated by Flo’s long overdue demise, something precious has been forgotten.

The hate.

Because there were thousands of us trapped north of the Tweed who hated that vicious, crackbrained yahoo she married with a visceral intensity. And we weren’t too loving fond of her ceaseless attempts to humanise him either.

There were many of us who’ll look back on the Bjelke-Petersen era as a waking nightmare, when a gang of slack-jawed yokels, crooks, bandits, half-smart chancers and degenerate greedheads ensconced themselves in power by brutally crushing all opposition, debauching the public offices, and rewarding favoured cronies with the sort of naked contempt for propriety that would have impressed Ferdinand Marcos or Manuel Noriega.

As long as there is a spark of life in Australian democracy, the mid 1980s when Bjelke-Petersen ruled alone, at the very zenith of his powers, should be studied in civics courses as an object lesson in what happens when untrammelled power is gathered into the shaky, liver-spotted hands of a stuttering, proto-fascist brute with just enough rat-bastard cunning to mask his true nature behind a carefully constructed facade of endearing bumpkinry.

And what of his legacy? What was more lasting?

The corruption of the state police force, or the use of that force as a praetorian guard, a last guarantee against the depredations of civil libertarians and unwashed protesters who might disrupt the orderly flow of business in the Sunshine State? That business being the orderly flow of tribute into the pockets of the ruling junta.

Or should his legacy be the damaged lives of opponents who proved so troublesome that they had to be destroyed on general principles, broken on the wheel of the law, by defamation cases, by emergency legislation, by the punitive actions of a state with untold resources and unchecked power?

Should his legacy be the flight of hundreds of thousands of Queenslanders to safer, less contested lives in those states where politics did not threaten to become an intimately personal matter, something that could, in the worst case, reach out and touch you, shrivelling your options to fight or flight? And, really, only to the latter.

There’s a certain sort of smugly stupid conservative who can’t help but mount a reflexive defence of Bjelke-Petersen because they can’t abide the critics of his regime. But there was nothing conservative about him or

his government. They were radicals with no respect for the institutions of parliamentary democracy.

He gave his wife a loving Senate seat in the national parliament for fucks sake. And the only surprising thing about it was that he didn’t get his complete Caligula on by sending a loving horse down there in the number two spot.

All those ratfucks understood was strength and fear and the simple joy of driving their enemies before them. There was no schadenfreude in seeing Bjelke-Petersen humiliated before the Fitzgerald Inquiry when he was unable to explain what was meant by the doctrine of the separation of powers, because all it did was hammer home the truth that we’d been comprehensively arse-raped by a man with the ethics of a starving sewer rat, and the political instincts of a sabre-toothed baboon with a really scorching methamphetamine addiction.

We missed a great opportunity with Joh’s state funeral. It could have been an appropriate ceremony; a pack of dingoes starved for a week then sooled upon the corpse in the mudflats down by the Brisbane River. Or he could have been buried at sea with the worst of his cabinet ministers, all of them dipped in chum and fed to the hammerheads and reef sharks off the Great Barrier Reef which they were so keen to open up to mining.

For Flo I think the appropriate send off would involve tossing her down a disused shaft in the Ipswich coal mine where she once enticed a group of striking miners to the surface with the promise of pumpkin scones and a chat ‘to sort out their differences’.

And when they came up?

The cops beat the bleeding poo poo of them and the strike breakers charged in and her jabbering fascist husband proclaimed it a great day for all the people of the Sunshine Reich.

Stay dead, motherfuckers. You won’t be missed.

==========================================

* For the absolutely bargain-basement and value-added price of $4 per month you can subscribe to Alien Side Boob (don’t ask, I didn’t dare) and get your own twice-weekly stream of the best of John Birmingham. Alien Side Boob is a private, subscription-only column doing the things he can’t do in the newspaper. Because lawyers … and good taste.
==========================================

Some thoughts of my own (Bob Gosford). We each have our memories of Joh Bjelke-Petersen’s for-far-too-long rule over Queensland. Born and raised in New South Wales, I was largely immune from any personal effect from the evil regime but looked on in vicarious horror at what was going on over the border.

Three—of many—experiences linger. The first as a sixteen-year old hitch-hiking into Queensland for a lark and a look around in the early seventies. Even at that age the barbarity and corruption was manifest—cops roughing me up as a “long-hair” and running me out of Maryborough late one evening. I survived and retreated back to the relative sanity south of the border but not without more than a hint of the sense of menace afoot.

The second came many years later while living in Maningrida on the Arnhem Land coast in 1989 when the late Wayne Goss led Labor to a very long-overdue victory. There were a number of Queenslanders living there at the time—now I realise they were economic and political refugees—and I had no idea of the hatred they had for Bjelke-Petersen and his rotten bunch until what for them was that happiest of days.

Then later still while practising law in Darwin. A colleague was before the court on a minor assault charge—or similar—and when asked if he had any priors he told the court that during the ‘illegal’ street marches towards the end of the Bjelke-Petersen era he’d been pinged for the trifecta of abusive language, resist arrest and assault police—again the details are hazy but you get the drift—and the response from the bench was along the lines of, “Well, you’d be regarding that as a badge of honour, wouldn’t you.”

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Stay dead, motherfuckers. You won’t be missed.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Project Unite is QLD's police presense thing for the commonwealth games next year. I'm sure that thread voted best state QLD won't give into it's base impulses.

:stare:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Unity is strength. Compliance is unity. Strength is compliance.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Lady Flo would want it this way. Even the posters are pumpkin.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Is it bad that I actually have national security and Crimestoppers numbers in my phone in case I see something? :tinfoil:

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
yeah

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nah

Aesculus posted:

i do like nazis

yeah nah

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 29, 2017

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

i do like nazis

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Intoluene posted:

Is it bad that I actually have national security and Crimestoppers numbers in my phone in case I see something? :tinfoil:

I can double tap the power button on my phone and instantly film any police brutality.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_KJEwzq74

It's like everyone's learning from youtube.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If someone blew up the Commonwealth Games would anyone notice?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Anyone want to debate whether or not it's ok to take your 2 and 4 yo kids (fully covered in sun clothes) to a nude beach?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

Anyone want to debate whether or not it's ok to take your 2 and 4 yo kids (fully covered in sun clothes) to a nude beach?

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Hobo Erotica posted:

wtf.. Context?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Severing posted:

wtf.. Context?

I think you've got everything you need there

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

I thought there might be some story or something behind such an odd question.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Severing posted:

I thought there might be some story or something behind such an odd question.

The story is hobo erotica is a bad poster

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I've learned to try to limit the amount of my personal life that I share with the thread and so I assure you this is purely hypothetical question asked only out of academic curiosity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Asking for a friend

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Was this in a MammaMia article?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

No

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Don't recall seeing this posted:

https://twitter.com/CFMEUJohnSetka/status/946679548149620736

Just think, he could have drowned :sigh:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

I've learned to try to limit the amount of my personal life that I share with the thread and so I assure you this is purely hypothetical question asked only out of academic curiosity.

there has never been a good question asked "only out of academic curiosity"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Last time I was at the beach it was the 2-4 year olds running around naked, so maybe for symmetry?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

is there anyone here that doesn't believe that this is a thing hobo wants to do with his kids and his wife is against it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

Don't recall seeing this posted:

https://twitter.com/CFMEUJohnSetka/status/946679548149620736

Just think, he could have drowned :sigh:

If he'd read my posts in june this wouldn't have happened:

Hobo Erotica posted:

Also I dead set even got pulled over by a police boat for not wearing a life jacket. He said that in two weeks they were going to give out fines.

• Locked thread