Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

boner confessor posted:

maybe let's not cream ourselves over science as the savior of all things when science is also what lies at the root of our problems

maybe, uh, vacant industrialism and the relentless drive to create more advanced technology is, uh, kind of what's loving up our ecosystem? maybe?

nah. better not to imagine that. i wouldn't want to think that i'm complicit at all in pollution and the degradation of the ecosystem through my consumer behavior
Geoengineering is the only thing that's going to save us, and even then I use the term "save" very loosely.

Basically we're going to gently caress up the Earth until we're almost dead then have a massive public works project to try to pull us back from the brink, and I expect giving its success the same odds as a coin landing on heads would be really generous but who knows.

And even in the best case the Earth's ecosystem will be a shadow of what it was, with like 99% of species extinct by our actions.

And even in our darkest hour, when things seem bleakest, we're still going to have people who scream to the heavens that it's all the fault of brown people and the gays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Shut up

You seriously had to post about this a second time? What is wrong with you

Hey I come here to laugh at brokebrained Trumpstaffel frantically trying to spin every episode of cheeto benito making GBS threads his pants into a genius infinite-Dimensional chessmove by their GOD EMPORER

But if equally brokebrained hillbots are gonna be in here just as frantically Dear Leadering the lies and fuckups and crimes of their own tribal leader into brilliant moves incomprehensible to mere mortals that's just as funny and I'm gonna laugh at their asses too :shrug:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

Look how reliant humanity is on a very small group of people with an insane leader not ordering a nuclear attack he so obviously wants an excuse to order. As long as we're dependant on a single planet, with the power to make that planet virtually unlivable for humanity, we're extremely vulnerable as a species.

If the alternative is explaining to my grandchildren that we blew up the earth because the juche got loose, I will torch every single shuttle off this rock.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
e: double post

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The first thing that will happen after breathable water and clean air become luxuries, is old people will call young people entitled little shits for thinking they should have them for free.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Seeof you guys are just total bummers about everything all the time.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Eox posted:

If the alternative is explaining to my grandchildren that we blew up the earth because the juche got loose, I will torch every single shuttle off this rock.

Replace nuclear war with any number of low probability extinction level events and being tied to a single planet is a death sentence for any species.

Large asteroid impact, super volcanos, long ice age, yeti uprising, etc...

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
For the rest of all our lives, provided we don't live long enough to witness the total collapse of human civilization, there is going to exist Twitter or something like it, and there is going to be someone like DJT whose posts you will be basically forced to read.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Bottom Liner posted:

privatized the space industry with fiscally sustainable systems that make future space travel possible (imagine where air travel would be if planes were not reusable, same concept)

forced the entire auto industry to shift to electric at least a decade earlier than they would have otherwise

which makes a big goddamn dent in the climate change fight

but yeah, he's just a paypal hack :rolleyes:

Umm no it doesn't 'make a big goddamn dent in the climate change fight'. We would need to go full on nuclear for that to happen. You'd still need airplanes and poo poo to convert to electric which I don't see happening for a very long time. For most large engines I'd still say hydrogen is the way to go for the immediate future. You can 'convert' older diesel/jet fuel/kerosene/gas engines and have no carbon emissions. But you still run into the same problem of how do you create this 'clean' fuel without causing carbon emissions. Basically, im convinced that our only hope is fusion.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

pkay posted:

Umm no it doesn't 'make a big goddamn dent in the climate change fight'. We would need to go full on nuclear for that to happen. You'd still need airplanes and poo poo to convert to electric which I don't see happening for a very long time. For most large engines I'd still say hydrogen is the way to go for the immediate future. You can 'convert' older diesel/jet fuel/kerosene/gas engines and have no carbon emissions. But you still run into the same problem of how do you create this 'clean' fuel without causing carbon emissions. Basically, im convinced that our only hope is fusion.

Fission not enough?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

RandomBlue posted:

Look how reliant humanity is on a very small group of people with an insane leader not ordering a nuclear attack he so obviously wants an excuse to order. As long as we're dependant on a single planet, with the power to make that planet virtually unlivable for humanity, we're extremely vulnerable as a species.
Problem with all of this interplanetary stuff is that you could just simultaneously detonate every known nuke on Earth right now, and in the aftermath of that, this planet would still be more inhabitable than Mars.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Fission not enough?

I mean it is if you don't give a poo poo about radioactive waste products. I guess launching them into space isn't THAT bad of an idea. Also mining radioactive elements and whatnot is somewhat of a concern. Deuterium and tritium are extremely plentiful however. I guess with fusion you gotta worry about 'what do we do with this equipment that has been bombarded with free neutrons for 20 years'. But thats a hell of a lot better than 'what do we do with these barrels of spent nuclear waste products'.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Problem with all of this interplanetary stuff is that you could just simultaneously detonate every known nuke on Earth right now, and in the aftermath of that, this planet would still be more inhabitable than Mars.

More inhabitable by cockroaches, sure.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

I'm not sure those cockroaches are gonna fare too well on mars.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Eox posted:

I'm not sure those cockroaches are gonna fare too well on mars.

Not on. Under.

That’s basically the plan for human colonization.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Because cosmic radiation is less ionizing than radiation from nukes? What?

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

Not on. Under.

I thought they were eventually going to try to make a magnetic shield for Mars.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kilroy posted:

The first thing that will happen after breathable water and clean air become luxuries, is old people will call young people entitled little shits for thinking they should have them for free.

:thunk:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would very much prefer that humanity is annihilated all in one go rather than clinging to life in airtight caves that are further away from home than anyone has ever been.

e: existential anguish is on topic

Eox fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 29, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
haha oops

I reckon I was thinking about drowning old people when I wrote that, hence the error.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

boner confessor posted:

it would own tho if musk spends billions of dollars to condemn a few dozen idiots to a gloomy, lonesome death on mars

boner confessor posted:

exploration is a great thing *spends a kajillion dollars building a space station roughly 250 miles from the earth's surface*
You really suck and are a bummer in human form. You're welcome to rot on earth but I'd prefer if humanity got off this rock eventually.

Katt posted:

I'm surprised people can even be optimistic about space travel.

It took the USA like three generations to go "gently caress England" I bet the citizens of Mars will tell earth to gently caress off within 30 years of becoming independent resource wise. Then starts the space wars of dominance over resources, moons and planets.
we'd have colony drops and rocket boosters attached to large asteroids sent careening into sydney within a decade of space colonization guaranteed at our current societal mindset

RandomBlue posted:

Replace nuclear war with any number of low probability extinction level events and being tied to a single planet is a death sentence for any species.

Large asteroid impact, super volcanos, long ice age, yeti uprising, etc...
Gamma ray pulse burst is my personal favorite horrifying catastrophic galactic extinction event

Eox posted:

I would very much prefer that humanity is annihilated all in one go rather than clinging to life in airtight caves that are further away from home than anyone has ever been.

I mean the eventual plan is to terraform mars so it's not just hamster tubes, but that's obviously not even remotely possible at our current tech level. But there are options being floated to make mars an eventually habitable planet, just not in our lifetime of course. There's also that super-biodome thing the UAE is designing and building a prototype of that's bigger in scale than any other previous attempts by an order of magnitude. The final thing is supposed to be almost the size of the Vatican.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

enraged_camel posted:

Not on. Under.

They recently discovered a cavern on the Moon that could fit the city of Philadelphia entirely inside of it, which would provide ample shielding from *most* of what the sun and cosmos could dish out. Naturally we should endeavor to send Philadelphia to the moon as soon as possible.

But the biggest problem with Mars is something we can't solve, because it would require more energy than anything we've ever been capable of generating in the past - giving Mars an earth-like magnetic field. That's not terraforming, that's *planetary surgery* on a deity's scale. If anything, the theory as to why we're here is that the big rear end rock that came along and smashed into us billions of years ago imparted enough energy to our hunk of rock to impart a spin on our inner core - and gave us the moon.

So if you can figure out a way to get a planet-sized rock to smash into Mars, then wait a few billion years, you might have a viable planet, but no amount of terraforming or ice melting is going to turn the Red Planet into a Blue one.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Eox posted:

i'd rather have the latter than humanity huddling in a corner counting our remaining seeds and waiting for extinction out of collective guilt for global warming like some posters seem to want

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They recently discovered a cavern on the Moon that could fit the city of Philadelphia entirely inside of it, which would provide ample shielding from *most* of what the sun and cosmos could dish out. Naturally we should endeavor to send Philadelphia to the moon as soon as possible.

But the biggest problem with Mars is something we can't solve, because it would require more energy than anything we've ever been capable of generating in the past - giving Mars an earth-like magnetic field. That's not terraforming, that's *planetary surgery* on a deity's scale. If anything, the theory as to why we're here is that the big rear end rock that came along and smashed into us billions of years ago imparted enough energy to our hunk of rock to impart a spin on our inner core - and gave us the moon.

So if you can figure out a way to get a planet-sized rock to smash into Mars, then wait a few billion years, you might have a viable planet, but no amount of terraforming or ice melting is going to turn the Red Planet into a Blue one.

The easier solution to this is to change people and not the planet. Just get tougher/hardier humans.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

You really suck and are a bummer in human form. You're welcome to rot on earth but I'd prefer if humanity got off this rock eventually.
As would I. However, we are stuck with Earth for the foreseeable future. Even getting humans to Mars is a massive undertaking - making an independent colony there is effectively impossible. Yes, you can imagine some of the technology it would require, but it is an engineering project on a scale that makes the Apollo program look like a birdhouse. In the meantime, if we can summon the will to take on such a project, then we can summon the will to actually fix the poo poo we've broken here, which will positively impact billions of lives for less cost. And perhaps some of the skills we pick up along the way to completing that much more worthy objective, we can apply to managing off-world ecosystems later on.

I mean, even in the absolute best and totally unrealistic case, you're effectively leaving billions to starve and die because building a colony on Mars sounded cooler than correcting the mistakes of the Industrial Revolution. It's quite ghoulish, really.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

The easier solution to this is to change people and not the planet. Just get tougher/hardier humans.

can life(humans) adapt to ionizing radiation?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Here's my next Mars hot take: We're closer to creating the successor to humanity in the form of sentient robots with versatile power sourcing that can live on Mars than we are to anything that will allow oxygen-breathing Earth-evolved meat creatures to live on it long-term.

Oh and before I forget, that Atlantic article about Roy Moore's "Last Gasp," there is no way that this lawsuit is actually his last gasp on this election. He is NEVER going to concede, the only question is what he's going to do in the process of refusing to ever give up.

I'm betting some combination of going after the Alabama Secretary of State, going after the judge that dismissed his case, or showing up at Capitol Hill to attempt to get sworn in by Pence.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 29, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah this too. It's definitely a requirement for anything extrasolar, and probably anything permanent and self-sustaining off of Earth.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Yeah. I live in Anchorage and it's been pretty mild here so far this winter (though admittedly, Anchorage has a far more moderate climate than the interior and north of the state because of its location). That said, there are communities up here that are literally falling into the sea due to coastal erosion stemming from the thawing of the permafrost. Other communities on the North Slope are dealing with houses sinking into the ground for the same reason. Oh and thunder storms are becoming increasingly common in the interior of the state; go back in time 30 or 40 years and that kind of weather was considered to be almost impossible in the North.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 29, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

pkay posted:

can life(humans) adapt to ionizing radiation?
We can already send circuit boards outside the solar system and keep them functional so really the only question is how far you're willing to go, to adapt to space.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yea, CRISPR makes this a possibility. I think we eventually get a Hulk with this tech. Atleast a Steve loving Rogers out of it. Atleast.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fearless posted:

Yeah. I live in Anchorage and it's been pretty mild here so far this winter (though admittedly, Anchorage has a far more moderate climate than the interior and north of the state because of its location). That said, there are communities up here that are literally falling into the sea due to coastal erosion stemming from the thawing of the permafrost. Other communities on the North Slope are dealing with houses sinking into the ground for the same reason.
Meanwhile Trump won in Alaska by a margin of fifteen points.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Kilroy posted:

Meanwhile Trump won in Alaska by a margin of fifteen points.

I'm not making excuses for the way people voted, rather pointing out that climate change is most definitely occurring in a very real way here and people continue to ignore it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fearless posted:

I'm not making excuses for the way people voted, rather pointing out that climate change is most definitely occurring in a very real way here and people continue to ignore it.
Yep, while their homes and communities fall into the sea.

If we had a Mars colony I'd give it a decade for some Vladimir Harkonnen lookalike to seize power blaming the degradation of the air scrubbers on the new arrivals from Earth. Sustainable development of the colony would be ignored in favor of Making Mars Great Again.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Yep, while their homes and communities fall into the sea.

If we had a Mars colony I'd give it a decade for some Vladimir Harkonnen lookalike to seize power blaming the degradation of the air scrubbers on the new arrivals from Earth. Sustainable development of the colony would be ignored in favor of Making Mars Great Again.

i agree 100%, best poo poo i've read all day.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

boner confessor posted:

privatized the space industry while accepting billions of dollars from the us government

https://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-chooses-american-companies-to-transport-us-astronauts-to-international-space-station

also lol at musk forcing electric vehicles when toyota has been selling hybrids since the late nineties

dont waste my time if you're just a wired magazine techbro fellator giddy over star trek fantasies of space communism

Would you prefer we didn't have Musk doing the things he's doing, or...?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kilroy posted:

I mean, even in the absolute best and totally unrealistic case, you're effectively leaving billions to starve and die because building a colony on Mars sounded cooler than correcting the mistakes of the Industrial Revolution. It's quite ghoulish, really.
oh get hosed, you baiting idiot. working on space tech would no doubt help here on earth as it has since the start of the space program, and making mars/space colonies wouldn't mean abandoning earth. Yeah we need to fix poo poo here but that doesn't mean they can't also work on improving space exploration and tech.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

Would you prefer we didn't have Musk doing the things he's doing, or...?

Ignore him. What do you do with those hybrids when the battery goes bad? Keep puttin around in a 3 banger with tons of extra weight? Atleast Musk is making an attempting to build up the infrastructure to sustain fully electric cars. He also made electric cars that people actually want to buy. What carbro wants a Prius or an Insight? Only the hypermiler guys. Talk to any carbro today about a new Tesla and they all love them because they are fast as poo poo. Make battery swapping seemless and everyone will want one.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Captain Invictus posted:

oh get hosed, you baiting idiot. working on space tech would no doubt help here on earth as it has since the start of the space program, and making mars/space colonies wouldn't mean abandoning earth. Yeah we need to fix poo poo here but that doesn't mean they can't also work on improving space exploration and tech.
Building a permanent Mars colony isn't merely "working on space tech".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Your president is like a one man biblical plague. No wonder the fundies love him

• Locked thread