Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No nor did I actually. I only noticed when I read your post and picked up the one on my desk to clip the iron sights off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Funny thing about optics: iron sights often times do not interfere with scopes.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

dexefiend posted:

One more area where hams talk poo poo about a thing only to expose how little they know about it.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
My CC equipped plague marines got wiped in melee by a crisis suit commander today

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Tiger Millionaire posted:

My CC equipped plague marines got wiped in melee by a crisis suit commander today

Do tell.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
It fell back, shot away a few of the squad and then in my next assault I whiffed hard on my wound rolls and in his counter attack got the rest of the kills. Fly is a very good keyword.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I think I would just cut off the board above the cliffs. It doesn't seem high enough to provide a real sense of background.

I think you're right, but I also don't want my dudes falling off the back so I'll probably leave about an 1" above the cliffs and just paint it white. What are your thoughts on that?

Ilor posted:

Hahaha, nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the waterfall. I've done static water effects before, but never moving water.

Update below!

The Sex Cannon posted:

Boon is gonna gently caress up everyone's poo poo at Adepticon (sorry, JD, maybe git gud?).

The Sex Cannon posted:

If the outcome is that Boon kicks your sorry butt, then we agree about the clarity of the outcome.

:haw:

Updated board - waterfalls are in progress, first layer/layer-and-a-half of water is in.

Sooooooo. This is my first time using that real water stuff, totally made the first layer way to thick (in the cave it's like an inch and a half deep) so it's going to probably take the rest of the weekend to dry before I drive back to Minneapolis. That said, I'm moving forward on the waterfalls.

I laid down an initial base of clear silicone caulking strips side-by-side. When that dried I attached it at the top and the bottom then painted it dark blue towards the inside and light blue/teal towards the outside. Over that I added another layer of silicone and painted it white and then another layer over that which is not yet painted, but I want it to be white as well (though this layer I cut the caulk tube to make wider streams so it doesnt look as choppy). I plan on adding layers until it's shaped right, then I'll probably put blue tint washes and white dry-brushing until it's the way I want it. Once the river effects are dry, I'll pile up more silicone at the base so that it looks "piled up" from the falls, then I'll add the final layers of the river.

I'm not sure I'm totally happy with the way the waterfalls look right now, but it may turn out great, who knows. If not I don't think it'll look bad persay, and once I add the snow flock all across the board it should blend in nicely. Especially once I put an army on the board.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
There's no good way to put regular IG and Tempestus Scions in the same Detachment, correct?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

I think you're right, but I also don't want my dudes falling off the back so I'll probably leave about an 1" above the cliffs and just paint it white. What are your thoughts on that?

I'm not sure I'm totally happy with the way the waterfalls look right now, but it may turn out great, who knows. If not I don't think it'll look bad persay, and once I add the snow flock all across the board it should blend in nicely. Especially once I put an army on the board.

If you're worried about them falling then I would put a thin lip of rock, maybe base height, so that it's just enough to ensure that nothing can slip backwards. That or focus on using larger-based models with a low center of gravity like Jetbikes.

To be honest I'm not particularly enthused by the waterfall. It looks completely different from the surrounding area and not in a good way. Maybe stop what you're doing and make a test piece to just verify that you're satisfied with the final outcome before you get too far? I think the problem is that the waterfall has a thickness to it that doesn't make sense. Check this out, this might be a cool reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovNbnjRUNQ

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

mango sentinel posted:

There's no good way to put regular IG and Tempestus Scions in the same Detachment, correct?

IIRC you can just freely mash them together. You just don't get the Tempestus trait on them as a result.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Is there much point playing Death Guard if I don't want to use Mortarion?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
B-B-BATTLE REPORT

I'm off work until January, so I got in a game of weekday hams today against a friend who was also off. We decided to play 2k points, his Black Templar vs. my Night Lords. We decided on using one of the new Maelstrom missions, Race to Victory, where you draw up to a hand of 3 objectives a turn and the game ends when one player scores 10 objectives.

My Army
I ran two detachments, the first was a Battalion with:
- Sorcerer on Bike
- Sorcerer with Jump Pack
- Cultists (10), that now it occurs to me I just forgot to put on the table and play with. Whoops!
- Marines (10), with a plasma gun and lascannon
- Marines (10), with a plasma gun and lascannon
- Helbrute with 2x fists
- Decimator with 1 claw and a Storm Laser (going to swap this out for a butcher cannon soon)

and the second was an Outrider detachment with:
- Chaos Lord (Warlord) with jump pack and Claws of the Black Hunt
- Raptors (5) with 2x Meltagun and lightning claws
- Raptors (10) with power sword and 2x Melta guns
- Bikes (10) with 2x Plasma guns
- Heldrakes (2) with Baleflamers

My Opponent's Army, split in three detachments in some way I didn't really ask about
- Imperial Knight with Meltagun and bigger meltagun
- 5x Assault terminators with lightning claws
- Terminator Chaplain (Warlord)
- 5x Tactical marines in a rhino
- 5x Tactical marines not in a rhino
- 5x Sniper Scouts
- 3x Devastator Centurions
- 7x Veterans in a Rhino
- Emperor's Champion
- Chaplain
- Company Ancient

I ended up going second, with corner quadrant deployment zones. Here's a shot of the table at the top of turn 1 (photo taken after the knight had moved):

Highlights
- Initially I didn't think I'd be able to take down the knight with the volume of fire I was bringing, but ultimately it wasn't as bad as I expected. Between Smites and Prescience-fueled Bike plasma shots and my lascannons, I was able to knock off about 20 wounds over the first 3 turns of the game, and dropped it to its second profile setting on turn 2. Also, the Heldrakes teamed up to put some beatings on it on turn 2:

One of them was killed by knight shooting a turn later, but had the good courtesy to explode and hit the thing for a pair of mortal wounds.

- My opponent got lucky early on with some good t1 objective draws, starting up 2-0 with the objectives he deployed on, but failed to kill a unit on t1 thanks to some good terrain/unit placement on my part and planning to go second. That meant I could snag First Blood when I dropped 15 raptors and two jump pack characters right in his rear end on the bottom of turn 1. These dudes wiped out the Centurions and, thanks to some Warptime extra movement shenanigans, the squad of footslogging tactical mans holding an objective I needed, so I was able to end turn 1 up 3-2 as I snagged two objectives and First Blood.

- I lost one of my squads of Chaos mans when a squad of terminators and a terminator chaplain dropped in behind them and wiped them out in an assault on turn 3, but was able to avenge them with a mix of shooting and assaults from my bike squad, which put out a silly number of bolter shots in 12" and a crazy number of hit when aided by prescience. Hooray for psykers on bikes!

- Rather than challenge my Raptors and warlord directly, like some kind of brave idiot, the Black Templars player pushed his veteran/champion/ancient/chaplain blob to the middle of the table to take out my basic-rear end chaos mans, but then failed to wipe them out, and they held on with a morale check to hold their ground as the warlord and his crew showed up to gently caress everyone's poo poo up bad.

- Even though they were Space Marines, the Night Lords' morale ability was still pretty useful, helping me wipe out the stragglers on three squads during the game when I needed them: The first was on the 5-man tactical squad I reduced to one model holding an objective I needed (it had ObSec, so that was going to stop me from scoring), the second was on his Terminators, where the -3 gave me the edge I needed after knocking off three terminators and leading to the rest of the squad fleeing, and likewise for his veterans, despite the latter two squads having 9 and 10 Ld, respectively, thanks to bonuses from nearby chaplains/ancients.

- Once I wiped out the Terminators, it was clear that the Black Templar player didn't really have enough units to keep challenging me across the table, and my superior mobility was going to afford me the ability to pick my targets and zoom between objectives and win. I was already up 8-5 at that point, so we called it, resulting in a 9-6 win after Linebreaker bonuses were applied. Once again, the cold-hearted murderbatmen of the Night Lords triumph over the ignorant-rear end Space Alabamans that make up the Black Templar chapter. Woooo!

Thoughts
- The big meltagun is way better than the rapid fire battlecannon on knights

- I really need to put a butcher cannon on my Decimator when I'm running knight lords. That seems like a way better option.

- Two Heldrakes was probably a bit much, but I just love running those guys so much and goddammit, I painted them so I'm gonna play with them

- Not running the cultists didn't actually matter much, but I probably won't tell the guy I played so he doesn't realize he got owned by someone playing 40 points under the agreed total

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 29, 2017

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Miles O'Brian posted:

There’s absolutely a ton of things you can do without him. Unlike Space Marines that almost require Guilliman to function, Death Guard function perfectly fine. Most characters have special abilities that compliment other units and there’s a ton of combos and fun builds that ignore the Daemon Primarch.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Miles O'Brian posted:

They still sound pretty strong and look incredible.

The Bee posted:

IIRC you can just freely mash them together. You just don't get the Tempestus trait on them as a result.

I feel like that's not a good way.

I don't think what I want to do could fit cleanly in a single detachment even if I didn't care about keeping Storm Trooper.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you're worried about them falling then I would put a thin lip of rock, maybe base height, so that it's just enough to ensure that nothing can slip backwards. That or focus on using larger-based models with a low center of gravity like Jetbikes.

To be honest I'm not particularly enthused by the waterfall. It looks completely different from the surrounding area and not in a good way. Maybe stop what you're doing and make a test piece to just verify that you're satisfied with the final outcome before you get too far? I think the problem is that the waterfall has a thickness to it that doesn't make sense. Check this out, this might be a cool reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovNbnjRUNQ

Yeah, it's not supposed to be running though, but fully frozen. Frozen waterfalls tend to gather volume, especially at the top and bottom.

I may end up ripping it off an trying again but I'll see and post pics once it's done.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mango sentinel posted:

I have to say I haven't played a game yet but i'm going through the assembly and painting process for my Death Guard while salivating over my new daemon bros coming out and I feel vindicated for my choice on aesthetics alone.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

dexefiend posted:

cowitnessing is a thing that people who work with guns do

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

Yeah, it's not supposed to be running though, but fully frozen. Frozen waterfalls tend to gather volume, especially at the top and bottom.

I may end up ripping it off an trying again but I'll see and post pics once it's done.

Ah, got it. I think the problem then is that I'm not seeing the long lines typically associated with a frozen waterfall. Something like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2310270/Spectacular-frozen-waterfall-created-China-resident-58-left-tap-winter.html

Seriously though, the whole thing looks amazing.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Does anybody have the rules for the Wraithseer? Or if I ordered one would it come with a datasheet?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DiHK posted:

Does anybody have the rules for the Wraithseer? Or if I ordered one would it come with a datasheet?

:filez:

You need Imperial Armour - Index: Xenos

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
1) I provided a legit out.
2) If this thread were a ship it'd be sunk under a sea of leaks.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

mango sentinel posted:

I feel like that's not a good way.

I don't think what I want to do could fit cleanly in a single detachment even if I didn't care about keeping Storm Trooper.

What in your book would be a good way, then? Having the Tempestus get their trait on top of the rest of your detachment getting their trait would be a little ridiculous, especially with how Guard were already pretty great.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Aw hell, I forgot to point out the raddest thing about the last game I played: the only damage that my Haruspex did was after rolling a 6 on death, splashing acid all over some stealth suits to wipe out the remainder of the squad. Even in death, Tyranids are still loving awesome.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

The Bee posted:

What in your book would be a good way, then? Having the Tempestus get their trait on top of the rest of your detachment getting their trait would be a little ridiculous, especially with how Guard were already pretty great.

It's just frustrating because it's not like they constitute their own faction. Not breaking other regiments is obviously a concession to that but outside of Taurox are they good enough on their own to warrant doing that if you don't have Storm Trooper? I'm still new so this is a legit question, I don't know.

DiHK posted:

1) I provided a legit out.
2) If this thread were a ship it'd be sunk under a sea of leaks.

Wasn't trying to put you on blast or anything, but this isn't the place to ask for poo poo like that.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 29, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

mango sentinel posted:

It's just frustrating because it's not like they constitute their own faction. Not breaking other regiments is obviously a concession to that but outside of Taurox are they good enough on their own to warrant doing that if you don't have Storm Trooper? I'm still new so this is a legit question, I don't know.

Wasn't trying to put you on blast or anything.

Scion Command squads are better than basically anything else you can put in the Elite slot in Guard, and are excellent deep-strikers. Outside of them, Guard lacks pretty hard for good deep-strike options. If you're trying to build a Brigade and could use some deep strike, I'd use them. Their primary competition in a normal Brigade is going to be Platoon Commanders, which can be made entirely superfluous if you're using Company Commanders in the first place.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Strobe posted:

Scion Command squads are better than basically anything else you can put in the Elite slot in Guard, and are excellent deep-strikers. Outside of them, Guard lacks pretty hard for good deep-strike options. If you're trying to build a Brigade and could use some deep strike, I'd use them. Their primary competition in a normal Brigade is going to be Platoon Commanders, which can be made entirely superfluous if you're using Company Commanders in the first place.

Ah that makes sense. I liked the idea of a Space Marine Batallion backed up with Taurox + Russ armor, but actually looking at the potential Detachments the realistic way to do some of both is a Patrol detachment where I get no command benefit. If I try to go all in on one or the other, 3 Russes works fine as a Spearhead Detachment, but you can't have an all Scion Vanguard detachment.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Storm Trooper is a good trait but it's not that big deal. I sacrifice it in my IG to fit the assassin/s in because it's more important imo to keep Cadian on other stuff (although now I look again, I might rejig that).

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

- Not running the cultists didn't actually matter much, but I probably won't tell the guy I played so he doesn't realize he got owned by someone playing 40 points under the agreed total
Your secret is safe with me, friend, though I see this as a challenge to beat him 50 points under tomorrow.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Played a big game of Apocalypse yesterday using a custom mission one of the dudes came up with. There was a fun narrative behind it, and it'll hopefully flow into another game soon.

We had an attackers/defenders scenario, with the defenders occupying a fortress and the attackers, uh, attacking it. We used some custom rules as follows:

There were 6 key forts which acted as combination ruins/buildings. They were T8 with 30 wounds (60 for the biggest) each, and units could get in and out of them like normal, but anything inside could be targeted and if you charged and got into base contact with the building then you could attack the units inside like a normal assault to represent fighting in the corridors. Some of the forts had special things inside which the attackers could claim by capturing the building or destroy if they blew it up instead.

There were special attacker and defender stratagems. The attackers totally forgot about ours, but the defenders used theirs to good effect. Slightly too good - one of them was a 2++ save for a fort which basically made attacking it pointless, and another was a reflective shield which nearly annihilated a Phantom titan until we fudged it mid-game since it was clearly ridiculous. I think for the next game this will see some adjustment.

We sorted out all the SHVs separately and balanced them against each other rather than accommodating them in the normal player lists, which got quite heated at times but ended up working out pretty well.

After a lot of jiggery-pokery because we had an odd number of players, capacity to play at Apocalypse levels, etc. we ended up with two Space Wolves players defending and me with Crimson Fists, another guy with Eldar and Tyranids, and a T'a'u' player attacking.

The game was a blast in parts and we had some really cool stuff happen. My Eversor assassin rampaged through a fort by himself and wiped out a squad of Blood Claws defending it, ending up on one wound before being rescued by my hammer Terminators who claimed the fortress, survived its destruction by its own defenders, then annihilated a Knight in combat via judicious use of HONOUR THE CHAPTER. At the end of the game a single one was alive, holding on to the captured psi-engine the building was hiding. Meanwhile the assassin had gone on to annihilate most of a squad of Grey Hunters before finally dying, only to bio-bomb the remainder off the table.

We left our backfield wide open for a flurry of Wolves to drop into, only for our Knights and Revenant titans (arriving on turn 2) to wander in from the back board edge and wipe them out. We had a bunch of fun little local battles like that - the Flyrant and Termagants went on a tear through the Wolf backfield at the other end of the table, only to be stopped by a hail of lascannons and a Murderfang Dreadnought.

The game did have some flaws. The unbalanced number of players bogged things down quite a lot, especially since one of the Wolves players was very unfocused and disappeared for large parts of the game; a problem compounded by neither of them having their rules very easily accessible or being massively on top of what they had. The board was probably too big - we played off the short edges on a 12'x6' board, which meant that a lot of the midfield might as well have not existed. We had a few hundred PL of stuff on the attacker side which basically didn't get involved as it dithered about in no man's land, which wasn't great. I felt especially bad for our Tau guy, who at 220PL had basically everything he owned on the table, and ended up being excluded from large parts of the game as his infantry stood around in midfield while stuff happened around them. Even some of the big stuff got stranded - with the Knights and Baneblade on our side arriving in our backfield, they ended up killing some drop pods and a few dregs of deep strikers and then taking no further part in the game.

We also had some confusion about teams - up until the morning of the game I thought I was defending, so I hadn't bothered writing anything to fill the 119PL gap that our Eldar player ended up closing with his Tyranids. For a narrative-driven game it was weird enough having Marines allied with Tau/Eldar against other Marines, but then the Nids being in there as well looked really weird.

It was a fun day though and with a better set-up of teams (and maybe not having the dude who took two hours to set up then lost interest early on) we'd have got through it in a reasonable time. It did also produce a great collection of pictures: https://imgur.com/a/XEoyj

A couple I particularly liked:

Terminators storm the fortress:

The Knight Crusader looms:

The Terminator Chaplain hunts for more traitors to slay:

The battered Terminators fight a renegade Knight:

(yes, it turns out that we had purple Knights on both sides)

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
one son done

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
That's a pretty son. Can't wait for a new Codex. And hopefully some more models.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Two Beans posted:

one son done

999 to go.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

got 999 problems but this son ain't one

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
So with my Xmas money I've decided to use the ~1,000 points of Scions I already have as the base of a radical inquisition army.

The other ~1,000 points I'm going to add are going to be a bunch of counts-as jank because the 8E inquisition rules are pretty bad.

So far I'm going to convert up 4 Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield Crusaders, 2 Sister Repentia and 2 Deathcult Assassins as two squads of counts-as Wulfen in Rhinos.

I really want a daemonhost in my army, but I'm not sure what rules to use. Do any of you guys have ideas of what unit I could use to represent a bad-rear end daemonhost like we read about in Eisenhorn?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Milotic posted:

Can't wait for a new Codex. And hopefully some more models.

:same:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Finally 4/5 of my Blightlord Terminators done. I’m hoping to have the last captain model and five more Plague Marines ready for my next escalation league on the 6th, but the kids are out of school and my painting time is 6-6:30am and 10-11pm and the need to have these done is killing me. :ohdear:

Also, I’ve never really done leader (champion/sergeant/captain/etc) helmets but I wanted to do one going forward for my Death Guard. What’s a good offsetting color versus puke green? I know Typhus is white, but I figured I’d get people’s opinion for lesser unit leaders.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PierreTheMime posted:

Finally 4/5 of my Blightlord Terminators done. I’m hoping to have the last captain model and five more Plague Marines ready for my next escalation league on the 6th, but the kids are out of school and my painting time is 6-6:30am and 10-11pm and the need to have these done is killing me. :ohdear:

Also, I’ve never really done leader (champion/sergeant/captain/etc) helmets but I wanted to do one going forward for my Death Guard. What’s a good offsetting color versus puke green? I know Typhus is white, but I figured I’d get people’s opinion for lesser unit leaders.

Maybe black/grey/bone?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

Bone or black.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well my quest to make a youtube channel that doesn't suck continues.

Unboxings, reviews and builds of the new EZ build Primaris stuff is up on my channel.

Redemptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of-4wpWvxE0

Aggressors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VIvhDarNrg

I actually really liked both kits. Felt there was a bit of wasted sprue space on the Redemptor that meant they could have put in the Icarus launcher and some base decoration as they did with the aggressors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
"A full Games Workshop store has a particular smell..." - my girlfriend, just now after leaving a full Games Workshop store