Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I mean alternately I could go with something just as fast but 10 tons heavier:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=569&l=ac6e7e92cbcbf9b59aefd9ecfc4375de4511892c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
well, it's been a year or more since the last time i played and i guess i still feel the same way about this games population i.e. i would like to look them all in the eye as i choke the final breath from their bodies

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Banano posted:

well, it's been a year or more since the last time i played and i guess i still feel the same way about this games population i.e. i would like to look them all in the eye as i choke the final breath from their bodies

Chat muted and voice muted is literally the only way to play this game.

Also, I got some cash for a Bushwacker, which one should I be going for again?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Paging Skippy, gimme the rundown on Arctic Cheetahs if you would.

Also I've heard good things, Pirate's Bane worth that tiny 1500 MC investment? I'm on a light kick after having fun with the K9. :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 29, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Cheetahs are still probably one of the best light mechs in the game, but the clan SPL nerf hit them and other clan lights hard.

Pirate's Bane is fun as well, but again, changes to energy weapons have hurt them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Being an Omni, the ACH is fairly straightforward. The two builds I'm familiar with are the HML/MG Brawler, and the ERML Backstabber.

I like this for the Pirate's Bane

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Yardbomb posted:

Paging Skippy, gimme the rundown on Arctic Cheetahs if you would.

Also I've heard good things, Pirate's Bane worth that tiny 1500 MC investment? I'm on a light kick after having fun with the K9. :v:

As someone who played mostly lights for a decent while and has more games in the Pirate's Bane than any other mech I can say it is a great mech. I personally use 4 medium lasers and stealth armour. You are small enough and fast enough to actually make proper use of stealth armour to reposition and to hide from your enemies and no mech in the game is better at getting to the enemy backline and either forcing an assault to turn around or coring it out if it doesn't. Nothing is quite as hilarious as a Kodiak turning from your team to chase you only to slowly die to repeated backshots while never seeing you. No other mech I've played rewards game sense and positioning in quite the same way.

In the discussion on dual heavy gauss builds, I've run both the Mauler and the Sleipnir. The Mauler suffers from being easy to hit, hard to roll damage in and being slow as well. Not just in movement speed but also in torso twist. I personally wouldn't go with the flamer build, I would have the lasers there to supplement my damage and allow me to reach out a little bit further. I know that TheB33f has been doing the flamers, but he has been doing it on the Sleipnir, a mech that's much better at getting into range, staying in range and surviving longer once it's in range. I would honestly recommend taking dual regular gauss on the Mauler if you want to do a dual gauss build, as it'll give you extra range and extra tonnage for your engine, as well as needing less tonnage for ammo. One in ten games with DHG I've been able to apply it properly and it's beautiful when it happens, but most of the time I find I'm either too far behind my team who are killing everyone, I'm being killed by the enemies due to being at the tail end of the NASCAR or I'm losing all my torso armour and maybe a torso before I even arrive at effective range if it's a map without good cover.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the info and stuff on the Pirate's Bane, looks like a fun little thing so grabbed one and will get it all set up soon.

Though one other question for now, I saw that Deathstrike build last page and it looks real fun, but are there any other notable spins? Earlier I saw one that had the same gauss on each arm setup, but had 4 ERLL with 2 in each chest instead of the ERMLs and I think a laser AMS and man did that look nuts. On the other hand I assume a loadout like that flash fries you though right, or is there something that actually makes that work?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's not a build I would recommend, also not one exclusive to the DS. It would fit just as well on the MCII-1. What makes the DS special is those 6 Energy hardpoints, so not using them all is counterproductive.

You could go for a comedy MAXIMUM ALPHA build, but stuff like that is too hot and too slow. The MCII is powerful because of the balance it strikes between speed, durability, and firepower. Cutting any of those strengths to enhance one of the others doesn't do it any favors.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 29, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

You could go for a comedy MAXIMUM ALPHA build

:lol: jesus christ that loadout, but I getcha, I'll just run that one from last page then.

Edit - Much later trip report: Pirate's Bane is ridiculously fun, first match I got exactly what was advertised, ran circles around a couple fatties and hosed them down while allies bombarded them to death until finally getting legged, then wading into battle alongside much bigger dudes and finally dying after getting in way more hits than I thought I would at 40 kph. Second match, 4 kills just running down other lights and zapping their asses. :getin:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 29, 2017

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Ash Rose posted:

Also, I got some cash for a Bushwacker, which one should I be going for again?

X1/2 for brawling, P1 for missile vomit, S2 for missile-heavy combo builds (4srm + whatever), P2 for comedy (3LPL 114kph lulz, uac20/4ml assymetric, 4 flamer/dual ac)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just got into the game a week ago and bought a few mechs I used to like from older stuff. Can anyone suggest ways to kit out a
Timber Wolf-A?

I also have a Hunchback IIC-C and a Jenner IIC-A. Did I gently caress up buying mechs?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheKingslayer posted:

I just got into the game a week ago and bought a few mechs I used to like from older stuff. Can anyone suggest ways to kit out a
Timber Wolf-A?

I also have a Hunchback IIC-C and a Jenner IIC-A. Did I gently caress up buying mechs?

My friend, feast your eyes on this bad boy: TBR-A
For mine I go full mobility and 0 survival skills, tried and tested, it is a beast.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Timber Wolf-A?

for your IIC-C you can dual-gauss
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=370&l=91f0ae4d5be7a3bbe345f5883e94c72e8b52efe5

or this monster for scouting
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=370&l=81dc2e0c31e4d9fca7709f93c53029aea1e306aa

people used to do a bunch of small pulses for the Jenner but I dunno if that works anymore

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I like the look of all those. Now to get my c-bills together and build em.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Do we still say "SQUAAAAWWWWWWK?" Asking for a friend

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

JosephSkunk posted:

Do we still say "SQUAAAAWWWWWWK?" Asking for a friend

we never stopped, brother

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cluncho McChunk posted:

In the discussion on dual heavy gauss builds, I've run both the Mauler and the Sleipnir. The Mauler suffers from being easy to hit, hard to roll damage in and being slow as well. Not just in movement speed but also in torso twist. I personally wouldn't go with the flamer build, I would have the lasers there to supplement my damage and allow me to reach out a little bit further. I know that TheB33f has been doing the flamers, but he has been doing it on the Sleipnir, a mech that's much better at getting into range, staying in range and surviving longer once it's in range. I would honestly recommend taking dual regular gauss on the Mauler if you want to do a dual gauss build, as it'll give you extra range and extra tonnage for your engine, as well as needing less tonnage for ammo. One in ten games with DHG I've been able to apply it properly and it's beautiful when it happens, but most of the time I find I'm either too far behind my team who are killing everyone, I'm being killed by the enemies due to being at the tail end of the NASCAR or I'm losing all my torso armour and maybe a torso before I even arrive at effective range if it's a map without good cover.

Adding to the HG discussion, if you have that free Grid Iron Hunchback that PGI gave out a while ago gathering dust in your hangar, take it out for a spin. The gauss quirks all apply to the HG as well; most people will regard you as low threat with a loadout like that in a mech as mediocre as the Hunchback, but you really poo poo out HG rounds, they're firing about as fast as the MLs. At 20-25 damage a shot, this thing is quite a respectable mech.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rysithusiku posted:

X1/2 for brawling, P1 for missile vomit, S2 for missile-heavy combo builds (4srm + whatever), P2 for comedy (3LPL 114kph lulz, uac20/4ml assymetric, 4 flamer/dual ac)

Picked up the X1, how exactly do I fit this thing, I am used to the days when ballistics where a bad idea on mediums, short of the occasional AC20 Hunchie or Cent AH.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Just start ramming things in there. Filling out extra bal slots with mgs is always a good idea on the bsw.
This is the classic build:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=501&l=918f110c43bff4c85b05b412162a22f3a8fb7520
It's older but still workable. Though I'd suggest switching out the lpl for a snub. And if you're reeeaaally the facecharge type, HMGs.
E: if you're a medium range type, mrms are a thing. I personally haven't had huge success with them but ymmv
I lied. made a kickass mrm build.
FEAR HIM
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=501&l=dfcb4f1766367cf7712823ba67530ba7ec32bd64

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 30, 2017

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

Adding to the HG discussion, if you have that free Grid Iron Hunchback that PGI gave out a while ago gathering dust in your hangar, take it out for a spin. The gauss quirks all apply to the HG as well; most people will regard you as low threat with a loadout like that in a mech as mediocre as the Hunchback, but you really poo poo out HG rounds, they're firing about as fast as the MLs. At 20-25 damage a shot, this thing is quite a respectable mech.

While I agree the hunchback has a difficult to hit rear CT, I'd still put a point of armour on it, because your paperdoll will show up on enemy screens as unarmoured otherwise, which can tip them off to take the time to aim for it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

My friend, feast your eyes on this bad boy: TBR-A
For mine I go full mobility and 0 survival skills, tried and tested, it is a beast.

I've been trying to make those work post-mobility skill engine nerfs. do you grab the FULL mobility tree? If not, can I see your skills.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

EoRaptor posted:

While I agree the hunchback has a difficult to hit rear CT, I'd still put a point of armour on it, because your paperdoll will show up on enemy screens as unarmoured otherwise, which can tip them off to take the time to aim for it.

Yeah those aren't real armor values I just threw it together fast. I think I run 5 rear.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TheParadigm posted:

I've been trying to make those work post-mobility skill engine nerfs. do you grab the FULL mobility tree? If not, can I see your skills.

Yes, full mobility, speed tweak and all. Torso twist speed is the most important. Then full firepower tree, all heat gen, cooldown, weapon nodes. Then 11 points into sensor so you get 60% radar deprivation and seismic, dump the rest in operations. Easy.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
So at black dogs urging I tried out rac5s and holy poo poo do those things make people angry - three matches in a row the enemy team split to chase me down in a blind rage, resulting in them losing the match. I never did more than 300 damage and got no kills but for some reason was priority number one

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You know what's fun?

Running around in that cute little Urban Mech and flaming larger mechs until they overheat whilst they try to shoot you down - then let the big guys lash out on them :3:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
Skippy I can't thank you enough for the dual guass Deathstrike suggestion. I've been absolutely killing it with this build, and matches with close to or over 1k damage are getting more common. Here's my best round so far today:

Angelwolf posted:

You know what's fun?

Running around in that cute little Urban Mech and flaming larger mechs until they overheat whilst they try to shoot you down - then let the big guys lash out on them :3:

Now I want to try this. I had this happen to me earlier today (not an Urbie, but still) and it really is annoying to be on the receiving end of that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Glad you're having fun. I'd nitpick that build, but I assume you're running the 360 engine because you don't have the spare C-bill to upgrade.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Glad you're having fun. I'd nitpick that build, but I assume you're running the 360 engine because you don't have the spare C-bill to upgrade.

Yep! Just using what it came with.

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Scouting mode now gives 5 stockings for 250 match score, 3 for 150.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I really miss the light in the cockpit that told you if your missile bay doors were open or not.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Which hero mech is best to get for optimum c-bill farming?

I've got the loyalty Hellbringer from last year, is that a decent platform to start with?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Polka_Rapper posted:

I really miss the light in the cockpit that told you if your missile bay doors were open or not.

That's still a thing, it's just that not many mechs have missile bay doors now. Pretty much just CPLT, STK, ARC, I think. The Crab and King Crab as well technically, but the doors do nothing.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

aniviron posted:

That's still a thing, it's just that not many mechs have missile bay doors now. Pretty much just CPLT, STK, ARC, I think. The Crab and King Crab as well technically, but the doors do nothing.

Yeah, I was in my A1 but I didn't see anything in the cockpit changing while I was toggling my doors.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

Opening/Closing the doors on a King Crab make it actuate its claws. This is visual only, and doesn't impact weapon fire rates.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The bay door button also extends and retracts the claws on the Kodiak.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Any tips on how to make a dumb LRMboat for fun? Catapult/Archer/Mad Dog/Huntsman?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

The new Hellspawn also got a missile bay door on the torso mount.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I’m in love with spiders, plz post your fav spider builds

I’m running anansi with an mrm10 and 2ermls and having fun with that, seems like the 5d is the best variant overall though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

free hubcaps posted:

I’m in love with spiders, plz post your fav spider builds

I’m running anansi with an mrm10 and 2ermls and having fun with that, seems like the 5d is the best variant overall though?

SDR-5K

super-fast LPL spam and some MGs when the components open up

• Locked thread