Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe BJ should wear a small scarf or collar or something to hide that joint.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

On a related note, I enjoy the Swedish woman who just really wants everyone to be friends, okej?
Her accent is also appropriately awkward and terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Poil posted:

Her accent is also appropriately awkward and terrible.

She sounds like they pulled in someone from the dev team to voice her.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
"What the gently caress" is a proper reaction to meeting a finn :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Rectus posted:

She sounds like they pulled in someone from the dev team to voice her.

That's how I feel every time I play CivV and end up meeting Russia

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
They're really going to need to reinforce and protect the connector to his neck. It's a natural weak spot given the sorts of forces BJ is regularly subjected to. I'd assume that the link-up has to be at least semi-organic, but it's hard to say for sure.

It is really weird that they put a Jew on a Nazi supersoldier's body instead of, I dunno, a golem. That said, it's also hilarious it's a Nazi genetically-engineered body, since the Nazis were comically bad at biology.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

That's how I feel every time I play CivV and end up meeting Russia

That's because they didn't hire an actress, but some Russian teacher from a university in Quebec, one Svetlana Migdissova. Not to mention that the character should have a German accent in any case.
Also, they had Atillia the Hun speak Chuvash, yet apparently they used a voice actor who has no familiarity with the language and pronounced it very poorly.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Miriam was played by a Swedish VA, Malin Barr, so her accent is legit.

On the topic of BJ's neck, maybe that's a good reason to pick the shoulder upgrade, to protect ya neck. I also assume that Set reinforced the joint internally.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jetrauben posted:

It is really weird that they put a Jew on a Nazi supersoldier's body instead of, I dunno, a golem. That said, it's also hilarious it's a Nazi genetically-engineered body, since the Nazis were comically bad at biology.

Most likely the body was originally Da'at Yichud engineering that got pilfered by the Nazis, so it'd be sort of a golem.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

That's because they didn't hire an actress, but some Russian teacher from a university in Quebec, one Svetlana Migdissova. Not to mention that the character should have a German accent in any case.
Also, they had Atillia the Hun speak Chuvash, yet apparently they used a voice actor who has no familiarity with the language and pronounced it very poorly.

A teacher, huh
I always described it as "they probably had a Russian programmer and asked her to read a couple of lines"
Seems like I was not far from the truth

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Also the super-soldier body apparently doesn't have nipples

Every scene with BJ and his very visibly pregnant girlfriend is going to raise some implicit questions for me going forward.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Miriam was played by a Swedish VA, Malin Barr, so her accent is legit.

Something I always think is funny is when video game developers make sure to get an actual native speaker of whatever language or accent they're going for, only for fans to rage about how unrealistic the character's accent is. From the Bioware files, for example, there's Miranda (VA is from Australia), Leliana (France), and Sera (England), all of which I've seen prolonged rants about how fake their accents are.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Ritva is voiced by Kati Outinen whom the cinephiles among you may know from a bunch of Aki Kaurismäki films.

Did lil Billy have nightmares about the basement because that's where Rip killed Bessie?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cythereal posted:

Something I always think is funny is when video game developers make sure to get an actual native speaker of whatever language or accent they're going for, only for fans to rage about how unrealistic the character's accent is. From the Bioware files, for example, there's Miranda (VA is from Australia), Leliana (France), and Sera (England), all of which I've seen prolonged rants about how fake their accents are.

Nerds will never be happy about anything.

Something that's actually fairly realistic is that Miriam's accent is so thick. Not only is English "a dying tongue", according to Deathshead in TNO, but she more or less sounds like what a Swede would sound like in 1961, before people started listening to American music and watching American movies. Hell, native musicians used to translate songs into Swedish so that people were able to understand them! An example from 1967:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMZ2kpXTN88
And the English original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxLn2j4J-Iw

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Nerds will never be happy about anything.

Something that's actually fairly realistic is that Miriam's accent is so thick. Not only is English "a dying tongue", according to Deathshead in TNO, but she more or less sounds like what a Swede would sound like in 1961, before people started listening to American music and watching American movies. Hell, native musicians used to translate songs into Swedish so that people were able to understand them! An example from 1967:

Yeah, I think both the Swedish and Finnish character sound almost too realistic. :v: Their accents really pop out compared to the common accents in movies, and it's almost weird to hear them sound like actual IRL people trying to speak English.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It's also simple things like the VA not being from the region that most popular VA's from that country would be from. Which I seem to recall happening with tracer's VA being called out for being a fake accent even though she was born in yorkshire.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 29, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nalesh posted:

It's also simple things like the VA not being from the region that most popular VA's from that country would be from. Which I seem to recall happening with tracer's VA being called out for being a fake accent even though she was born in yorkshire.

This was also the case with Sera over in Dragon Age. Her VA is from Derbyshire and speaks with her native accent, but it's not an accent you hear outside England much.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

This was also the case with Sera over in Dragon Age. Her VA is from Derbyshire and speaks with her native accent, but it's not an accent you hear outside England much.

It doesn't help that she uses british rhyming slang and is otherwise a well written but horrible person.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Something that's actually fairly realistic is that Miriam's accent is so thick. Not only is English "a dying tongue", according to Deathshead in TNO, but she more or less sounds like what a Swede would sound like in 1961, before people started listening to American music and watching American movies.

One thing that seems a bit jarring is her use of "skit-" as an intensifying adjective. Unless there is documention that people really spoke like that around 1960, I suspect this is a linguistic anachronism.

Rectus posted:

Yeah, I think both the Swedish and Finnish character sound almost too realistic. :v: Their accents really pop out compared to the common accents in movies, and it's almost weird to hear them sound like actual IRL people trying to speak English.

Thing is, them speaking English at all is actually unlikely. Even in real life, fluency in English would be rare in the Nordics (and even more so in the rest of Europe) even before WWII, and in this timeline Anglo-America was subjugated by the Nazis, meaning people won't be inundated by American pop culture the way they were in real life. In fact, the most likely common language in the setting would actually be German, even if it is associated with their oppressors. And it can't exactly be that "they actually speak another language but we hear it as English", given that Miriam is able to converse with one of Grace's group in English and that in TNO you could hear Klaus talk to Max in German.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 29, 2017

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Nalesh posted:

"What the gently caress" is a proper reaction to meeting a finn :v:

To be fair, Ritva sounds like she got possessed by a demon midway thru sentence.. Which is more or less how I feel daily living in Finland.'
I also love how loving vitun angry she is.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 29, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rectus posted:

I thought that was a great decision by MachineGames or the company that cast/directed the non-main voice actors. Way too often it just feels like you got some guy from Jersey to do his idea of a Spanish accent and hope no one from Spain sees the English language version of the game. Instead, they seem to have cast people from the same country as the characters, which adds a sense that the resistance is far more internationalized than what we saw in the first game where it was just a core group of people from a couple countries. To be fair, they did something similar in the first game as well. Anya, for example, is played by a Polish actress. Caroline, interestingly enough, is played by an American actress in 2009's Wolfenstein when she was introduced and by a different American actress in The New Order/Colossus.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Trawling through the IMDb page for this game, they also appear to have cast black people to play the black people, which is cool and good.

E: From the first game, but HOLY poo poo Deathshead is played by Lt Barclay!

Philippe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 29, 2017

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
You mean Howling Mad Murdock? Nerd.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Faan i helvete indeed. I have to say though, despite the voice actress being obviously Swedish, her name makes no sense. A Patronym like Gunnarsdotter is only still used in Iceland. And yeah, her accent is very much Swedish. Also, the Finnish woman was great but mostly so because she hit every single preconception a Swede would have. If I was Finnish I suspect I might have been offended.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Thesaya posted:

If I was Finnish I suspect I might have been offended.

Nah, Ritva rules. Perkele saatana.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Thesaya posted:

Faan i helvete indeed. I have to say though, despite the voice actress being obviously Swedish, her name makes no sense. A Patronym like Gunnarsdotter is only still used in Iceland. And yeah, her accent is very much Swedish. Also, the Finnish woman was great but mostly so because she hit every single preconception a Swede would have. If I was Finnish I suspect I might have been offended.

Found this on wiki:

quote:

Ändringen i namnskicket gick långsammare i Sverige än i Danmark och Norge. Patronymika förekom fortfarande under 1900-talet i Sverige, i vissa konservativa trakter såsom Urshults socken ända tills de avskaffades i lag år 1966. I bygder där det gamla namnskicket levt kvar uppstod därigenom syskonskaror i vilka de äldre syskonen bar patronymika och de yngre påtvingade familjenamn. Till exempel, en Torsten Petterson kunde ha en äldre son Lars Torstensson (född före 1966) och en yngre son Björn Pettersson (född efter 1966).

Looks like the developers knew their history: the game character seems to be at least in her twenties, which would mean that she was born before 1940. In other words, her name actually makes sense for the time period.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jetrauben posted:

A lump of meat crafted and brought to life by man. Kept alive by the smallest of things; a collar that, by Da'at Yichud philosophy, was created to capture a part of a connection to the Divine. It is a golem.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nalesh posted:

English accents in media are weird. I think the country has the highest number of distinct accents, at least among English speakers, but thanks to TV in its formative years we expect everyone to sound either posh or like Dick Van Dyke in 'arry Poppins.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's an intentional plot point that the Nazis are generally wrong as hell about any of the underlying principles of the Da'at Yichud stuff they stole, have never really managed to figure it out, and probably never will. Their various iterations on it came because Deathshead had enough people who were good enough engineers to replicate and iterate a little from the designs even if they couldn't understand why it worked, exactly; I mean he's spouting off comically wrong bullshit about phrenology and racially stunted biology while you're fighting your way to him in TNO, for gently caress's sake. Him and his whole lab full of 'get the base idea wrong but can produce a working laser cannon' nazis dying in the end of TNO was a big deal for exactly that reason.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The worst example of British accents in video games must be Tracey in Arkham: Origins.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Thesaya posted:

I know several swedes with patronym last names though :confused:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't a bunch of patronym last names just get turned into actual last names? Like Anderson?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can BJ's new body :dong:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Set Roth has yet to weigh in on the possibility of troubles with the new biologically engineered super-schmeckle

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Worst case they'll have to get a volunteer to go out and chop off a dong so Set can graft it on.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Worst case they'll have to get a volunteer to go out and chop off a dong so Set can graft it on.

But it'll be a Nazi dong

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alexeythegreat posted:

But it'll be a Nazi dong
Why? :v:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I guess his name will just be Blaskowicz then

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Poil posted:

Get David to do it, he has experience.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

They don't call him Terror Willy for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

He doesn't ram through walls with his shoulder.

• Locked thread