Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ZiegeDame posted:

Yes, but how is Kalifa a goat?

kalifa is a sheep/ram, from that time she did the same thing against nami. the horns are her curling her arms around like a goof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Nami owns. Hoping that Zeus remains after the Mama arc.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, Nami has taken down Big Mom twice now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not sure how to feel about this chapter. It continues the trend of the Straw Hats' plot armor making Big Mom look strangely ineffectual.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Brook killed it this chapter.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Begemot posted:

It reminds me of the flying axe-shaped ship from Super Mario RPG. But it looks almost exactly like the living sword monster from Dragon Quest. Prometheus looks very DQ-ish as well.

Anyway, what a great chapter. gently caress yeah Jinbe.

Now that I'm not phoneposting:

Toriyama was a huge inspiration for Oda, so it's not a surprise.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZiegeDame posted:

Yes, but how is Kalifa a goat?

She's a sheep. There is no goat in the eastern zodiac.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Begemot posted:

Now that I'm not phoneposting:

Toriyama was a huge inspiration for Oda, so it's not a surprise.

also

when

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Big Mom has been riding him.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Guys how is One Piece so good

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure how to feel about this chapter. It continues the trend of the Straw Hats' plot armor making Big Mom look strangely ineffectual.

I don't feel that's what's happening here - I think the chapter did a good job of communicating the fact that this group has no chance of beating Big Mom in a straight fight, but through trickery, cheap shots, clever use of their respective unique powers, and by taking advantage of her seemingly weakened state, they were able to drive her back momentarily. It'd be weird if they couldn't pull at least that off by this point of the story.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

^ cosigned

Such a good chapter.

I can't exactly say that Chopper finally got to do something, since it was just a guard. But I can say that this is the first time I've seen Guard Point and thought that it looked like it loving hurt.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
They've been rebuffing her, not foiling her. She's the bull and even if her own hunger has been doing her over like a pack of picadores, the Strawhats are no matadors. They're running through the streets doing everything they can to not get gored.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

lowercase16 posted:

^ cosigned

Such a good chapter.

I can't exactly say that Chopper finally got to do something, since it was just a guard. But I can say that this is the first time I've seen Guard Point and thought that it looked like it loving hurt.

He tanked a hit like the one that almost killed Bege in his Big Father form, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus having one of the strongest fishmen fighters on a sea battle helps tremendously in any fight. It's only due to the weather homies that Big Mom isn't done in from that in the first place.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

bobjr posted:

Plus having one of the strongest fishmen fighters on a sea battle helps tremendously in any fight. It's only due to the weather homies that Big Mom isn't done in from that in the first place.

Yeah, it should be noted that this is also about as ideal as conditions can reasonably get for Jinbe. She's completely drenched from him soaking the Sunny, and his Fishman Karate utilizes all the water in the immediate vicinity as an amplifier for the impact - whether it be the water inside a person, water in the atmosphere, or water that's just straight-up soaking a person. He was able to land a good loving hit, one that probably takes down almost anyone else. Jinbe owns, but Big Mom remains a complete monster.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 29, 2017

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh my god everyone was so loving cool this chapter. Well, except for Chopper. Blocking the punch was neat and all but I was thinking this was going to be when we cashed in on him constantly being outclassed by everyone and do something. Guess we still have to wait.

There were also a bunch of great panels of Big Mom this chapter. She's so emotive!

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I am quite worried about the Sunny :ohdear:

Fake edit: major spoiler so is Zeus the 10th nakama then?

dazoner fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 29, 2017

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah, it should be noted that this is also about as ideal as conditions can reasonably get for Jinbe. She's completely drenched from him soaking the Sunny, and his Fishman Karate utilizes all the water in the immediate vicinity as an amplifier for the impact - whether it be the water inside a person, water in the atmosphere, or water that's just straight-up soaking a person. He was able to land a good loving hit, one that probably takes down almost anyone else. Jinbe owns, but Big Mom remains a complete monster.

And despite all this he still just managed to push her off the ship. Like, she didn't look hurt afterwards. And that he only probably could do since she was like half her usual mass. Big mom is still loving terrifying

This chapter was really, really drat good.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the straw hats getting away by the skin of their teeth was slick though I saw it coming but the real standout to me was big mom turning to jinbei saying 'well you guys HAVE to have the cake or id have to kill perospero ;_;' and i guess im onboard for the luffy/big mom showdown in 6 years (also next week we get luffy finally realizing his self reflection as the men in the mirror fight)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It doesn't happen super often but Oda always nails it whenever the strawhats are all working together in a fight. This chapter was great.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Foly Huck!

That Brooke rematch! That Jinbe block! That Nami hit! So loving good I had a huge grin on my face the whole chapter :allears:

Silver2195 posted:

I get what you're saying but at the same time completely disagree with it. I do believe this is the first time we've seen major damage to Sunny, for example, so the Straw Hats aren't just trading blows and coming away scratch free, it really does feel like they're barely getting by and escape is their only real option, and it's only thanks to outside help that they've be even remotely successful getting this far.

That and really, we know the good guys are gonna win, that's what happens in saturday morning cartoons. Saying that Big Mom looks weak because she can't win is the same as saying the robbers in Home Alone should've brought a gun.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
About the fight in this issue:

I really liked Jinbei spanking big mom off the ship, which seemed a bit lovely because Luffy couldn't even tickle her before, but then you have to remember that Jinbei just literally threw like half of the local ocean in her face and she's a devil fruit user so that should considerably weaken her. Also she now has to stand on a floating bonfire instead of a cloud because they stole it. Which is awesome for both sides, both that Nami just straight up stole one of Mom's sidekicks, and that she is just standing on a literal small sun like it's no big thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

holy poo poo what a chapter

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I don't feel that's what's happening here - I think the chapter did a good job of communicating the fact that this group has no chance of beating Big Mom in a straight fight, but through trickery, cheap shots, clever use of their respective unique powers, and by taking advantage of her seemingly weakened state, they were able to drive her back momentarily. It'd be weird if they couldn't pull at least that off by this point of the story.

Mr. Fowl posted:

They've been rebuffing her, not foiling her. She's the bull and even if her own hunger has been doing her over like a pack of picadores, the Strawhats are no matadors. They're running through the streets doing everything they can to not get gored.

Do people think Big Mom's hunger is making her weaker? Her rampages have been implied to make her scarier all along, given that she loses all reason and attacks unconditionally, including killing her own kids when under the influence of a craving and Perospero has said twice or three times now that the fact she's getting skinnier and has been starved for longer than ever before is a frightening unknown, not some gradual weakening. He's nervous and wants it done asap because she's scarier than ever in this state to him, not because he thinks she's weaker or dying. The latest chapter also has him noting that not only have they never seen her craving/rampaging for that long but that it's been years since she was that skinny in a way that makes it seem like being skinny makes her stronger, not weaker due to hunger. Presumably because she retains most of her muscle while becoming faster and more agile due to the loss of weight as well as more focused and willing to attack in ways she normally wouldn't. And that she's more conscious and capable of reason than they had ever assumed when in that condition. She's willing to set herself on fire just to keep chasing the Strawhats at the moment for instance. That doesn't seem weaker to me.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 29, 2017

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That panel where Napoleon stretches himself. In fact that whole goddamn page was amazing.

Big Mom looks freaking terrifying and the fact she's still going after them after all this speaks volumes about her might as an emperor.
You really buy the fact that when this lady gets pissed she could give the likes of Whitebeard a run for their money.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

i'm glad hes back on the straw hats's side, look how happy he is!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hate Zeus and I hope he's just abused by Nami for the rest of how long he's in this comic.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I do hope he becomes a permanent powerup and not a temporary sidekick like Brulee or Diesel

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If it's an unknown then it's entirely possible Big Mom is getting slowly weaker. Like Luffy, without food she's just straight up starting to run out of energy, but also like Luffy, being that hungry and crazed could make her more determined and relentless, even if she doesn't hit quite as hard and will presumably collapse at some point. It's a different kind of dangerous rather than less dangerous.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nami has prestiged into a summoner class and im happy for her

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If it's an unknown then it's entirely possible Big Mom is getting slowly weaker. Like Luffy, without food she's just straight up starting to run out of energy, but also like Luffy, being that hungry and crazed could make her more determined and relentless, even if she doesn't hit quite as hard and will presumably collapse at some point. It's a different kind of dangerous rather than less dangerous.

There's no actual evidence she's getting weaker though. Nor that she's getting stronger mind, just that she's getting skinnier as well as more focused and wild.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

True, although she surely has to run out of energy and collapse reasonably soon if she's getting skinnier that quickly, for a given value of 'soon'.

At this stage I'm mostly imagining Franky's face when he sees the Sunny. Ship of dreams my rear end, I'm not seeing the advantages of Adam wood if a suitably strong person can simply lift pieces of it up and look underneath like it's a carpet.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I think he only used the Adam wood for the hull etc.
Things like railing and doorways are probably made with regular wood.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought he only used adam wood for the keel and the spine of the ship's hull?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Exactly. That's private contractors for you. :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

True, although she surely has to run out of energy and collapse reasonably soon if she's getting skinnier that quickly, for a given value of 'soon'.

At this stage I'm mostly imagining Franky's face when he sees the Sunny. Ship of dreams my rear end, I'm not seeing the advantages of Adam wood if a suitably strong person can simply lift pieces of it up and look underneath like it's a carpet.

Which makes me wonder if they're going to need a third ship at some point or if the Sunny will last long enough to get to Wano where Franky can fix it up.

I hope Nami gets to ride Zeus at some point. She's already pretty much a female Goku (Journey to the West version) so they might as well complete the look.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Getting a new ship would kinda ruin Franky's goal. If he's just going to make a new ship every few arcs, he'll never create and sail a ship all around the world.
Seeing the damage will probably light a fire under his rear end and upgrade things so the same thing won't happen again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Isn't there still an empty bay in the docking system too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Franky will be sad for a while and then get stoked that he can add more poo poo when he fixes it