Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
If you have Horizons you can take scan base / destroy generator missions on day 1 that give over 500k credits each. I did a few of those to outfit an exploration ship, went to Sag A* and Colonia over the course of a month, and came back to 480 million credits in data and Elite in exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Money makes money; take your hauler to the next trade CG and you should crack a couple mil - enough for a Type 6 for further trading, ~or~

There's also the 'Road to riches', which is a list of jumpable systems with Earthlike and Water worlds you can scan and then sell the explorer data for mad cash - you'll need a detailed surface scanner, an advanced discovery scanner and a 3A fuel scoop to make the most of this, and an A ranked FSD - three mil will outfit this on your hauler.

https://pastebin.com/hCf3iwe6

Starting at HIP 14976, scanning planets A7, A5 and A6, then jumping to HIP 16709 - you get the idea, do as many as you can stand, then head to a station and sell the data at the Cartographic office. Do all this in solo, if you get smeared by an rear end in a top hat in open you will hate your life.

Ratjaculation posted:

Get an Asp Explorer asap, fit it with a fuel scoop, advanced disco scanner and a posh passenger bay and take gangsters on tours around space

Between 2-6mil for the tour mission, plus scan data profits

Oh man thanks for this, this is good stuff

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Basically, the level you're looking at is 2 million. With 2 mil (well, slightly over), you can fit a Hauler for long range exploration. It's a great starter ship for exploration, and it's cheap to replace.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Head's up, rank requirements for the Federal Dropship family have been dropped and a discount applied for the next week.

Even if you can't quite fit one yet I'd recommend trying to get your hands on a FAS.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Would you get a FAS over a Gunship?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Would you get any of them over the Anaconda?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Jimbot posted:

FAS is like a straight upgrade from a Vulture so if you love the Vulture it's a great ship to grab. It does usually do a split tank though so like the Gunship it can feel a little more dangerous if you are used to stacking shields.

Gunship is an interesting ship because it's a slow brick with a lot of tightly converging hardpoints which has led to people calling it "a helicopter in a game about planes." It also has the ability to launch fighters and have one person in multicrew, making it the smallest and cheapest ship capable of doing that. For a medium ship it packs a pretty strong punch though the split shield/armor tank can put people out of their comfort zone if they are used to straight shield tanking. I am a fan of it, it's a lot of fun to use and as the lowest rebuy of all multicrew+fighter ships it means you can throw them away with multicrew shenanigans more freely than something like an Anaconda.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I went ahead and bought a FAS and have been loving it. I had been using my Asp Explorer for too long as a explorer/shipping/fighting rig. Having a dedicated killship is awesome. I love being maneuverable enough to stay in someone's blindspot and dual frak cannons is great. I'm downing more ships than ever.

My goal is to get enough money saved to buy the FGS before it goes off sale.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jimbot posted:

It depends on a lot.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Would you get any of them over the Anaconda?

Yes.

Unless you can get a corvette then never don’t get that.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Going to let you in on a secret: The Federal Corvette is not as good a warship as the Anaconda. 2 Huge Hardpoints & 1 Large Hardpoint is not as good as 1 Huge Hardpoint and 3 Large Hardpoints. The Anaconda does more damage and has a much better jump range. The only thing the vette can do slightly better than the conda is shield tanking. But unless you're doing ultra-hardmode cop killing, it won't matter at all.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It depends on a lot.

Yes.

Unless you can get a corvette then never don’t get that.

Yeah. But the thing is, of all the Core Dynamics ships, none of them are more interesting to my mind than the conda, with the notable exception of the Corvette. I already have an engineered conda that does everything.

The Corvette, meanwhile, I can't make up my mind about. It's good looking, but I can't help but feel it looks somehow cheap and underdetailed compared to its size and role. It's a sidegrade to the conda, and for my use as a catchall boat the conda is arguably better. The biggest deal is really the grind, I have no rank and I'm pretty certain I would have to work for ages to get the needed rank to even buy one. It doesn't seem like a ship that's worth the effort.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Ratjaculation posted:

This game needs to add huge ships you can buy for many many millions, that let you/other people dock and launch from it.

So you can move your ships around like that

imo anyway.

I mean I'd never be able to afford one!

I seem to remember the thread talking about a player fleet that got a custom big rear end carrier, that the fleet leadership could choose to jump 2000 ly every 2 weeks or so, on account of them puzzling out the game the way Frontier wants everyone to.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gort posted:

I'm running a Geforce 1060, and it only has one HDMI port,

What? DVI and HDMI and DisplayPort are all the same signals through different plugs because the computer business is still basically an international IP shitstorm. You don't even need a signal converter, just a cheap and dumb wire-to-wire conversion cable.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Gort posted:

I took the plunge and got an Oculus Rift, mostly for flight-sim-type games like this one. I've got it working in general (Robo Recall is excellent) but I'm having issues getting Elite to load. I've already downloaded the Oculus version of Elite, so it's not that.

I'm running a Geforce 1060, and it only has one HDMI port, so I've got the Oculus plugged into that, and my monitor plugged into the HDMI port on my motherboard. When I load Elite from the Oculus library, I just see "Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe is taking a long time to load" basically forever - I've given it like half an hour to load and it just sits there. I hear the Elite menu music playing, so it's definitely up to something. Task manager says it's using GPU0, which is the same one as things like Chrome are using, so I'm thinking Elite's gotta be trying the motherboard's onboard graphics. I've tried unplugging the monitor before running Elite, and I get the same issue.

I've got a cable coming for my monitor that should let it plug into one of the DisplayPort ports on the graphics card which might cajole Elite into running on my actual graphics card or maybe allow me to disable the motherboard graphics entirely - anyone got any ideas for the few days before that arrives?

I have a 1060 and have three monitors and an Oculus Rift plugged in.
Elite runs great in HMD Low for VR mode and Ultra when on one monitor.

Rift is plugged into the HDMI
Monitors are plugged into the DisplayPort and DVI sockets

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Would you guys recommend a FAS or FGS over a clipper? My clipper with four beams, engineered shields and dirty drives is just so insanely good at killing. It’s fast as hell and can shoot for days. I’m not sure about switching.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Would you guys recommend a FAS or FGS over a clipper? My clipper with four beams, engineered shields and dirty drives is just so insanely good at killing. It’s fast as hell and can shoot for days. I’m not sure about switching.

An engineered FAS is an upgrade.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'd say gunship for variety. It's more of a brutish slugger as opposed to the flighty Clipper. Plus it gets a fighter which owns. And it sounds great.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Clipper is cool because it's the premier ramming ship due to the combination of the size, speed, and maneuverability but that's a very different playstyle from anything else.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I might pick up the Gunship. I have Clipper and FDL, so I'm flying on money as it is (and boy, those are fun ships to fly). I want something completely different. If it doesn't work out I can just get the FAS.

Any good loadouts on kitting it out for maximum dakka fun for PvE bounty hunting?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Double shot frags everywhere. No shields, hull tank. Constant chaff. Flight assist off at all times.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
:dukedoge:

edit: I went with incindary mullticannons and 1C biweaves. FLIGHT ASSIST IS A TOOL. WAKE UP! SCRUBS

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 30, 2017

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The problem with one of these federal ships vs a clipper is the FSD. If there is a bounty CG somewhere I can just travel there at a 26ly/jump rate in the clipper, while an FAS/FGS it seems it would take waiting for the ship transport to get it there because the FSD is so tiny.

That’s actually a big reason I’m thinking against it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Clipper is like jet boat with terrible hard points. Its fast but turns like poo poo and God help you if your target isn't dead center at 1.5km, otherwise you're using half (the poo poo half) of your guns.

Add to that its restriction to L pads and you've got yourself an incredibly gimmicky ship.

The federal alternatives are almost objectively better.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I changed the default language to French and Elite: Dangeraux is a much better game.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

osirisisdead posted:

I changed the default language to French and Elite: Dangeraux is a much better game.

relation amicale conduire charger

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Going to let you in on a secret: The Federal Corvette is not as good a warship as the Anaconda. 2 Huge Hardpoints & 1 Large Hardpoint is not as good as 1 Huge Hardpoint and 3 Large Hardpoints. The Anaconda does more damage and has a much better jump range. The only thing the vette can do slightly better than the conda is shield tanking. But unless you're doing ultra-hardmode cop killing, it won't matter at all.

fight me (in my corvette) :black101:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

fight me (in my corvette) :black101:

Fight me, in my covfefe

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ok, the FGS is loving rad. The engine sounds made me sell my clipper.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ratjaculation posted:

relation amicale conduire charger

Il semble que ma réputation me précède dans l'espace impérial. J'ai besoin d'un SRV.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

osirisisdead posted:

Il semble que ma réputation me précède dans l'espace impérial. J'ai besoin d'un SRV.

Transporter des biodéchets au nom de la démocratie

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Voici mon nouveau Anaconda. Il est choette et super....

Ah calisse de tabernak d'osti de crisse de Goid....
Décrisse!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I wish I could turn on my holiday lights without a certified outfitting engineer, I'm very very far away mapping piss planets

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Q: if you get close enough to another player who has them equipped can you see their Xmas lights on the dash?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Q: if you get close enough to another player who has them equipped can you see their Xmas lights on the dash?

It would be cool if you could. So I'm going to assume that you can't.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Merry Christmas to me, I sold my Python finally and upgraded to the DFS Majestic Spaceduck.

This thing is remarkably agile for a ship that needs to land on a large pad. I was pretty impressed with how nimble it feels for its size. I haven't gotten around to engineering it up yet, as I just bought it yesterday and haven't had too much time to mess with it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Is that true even against larger ships? Thought the huge weapons did extra dps against those

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I just want to say, whoever told us about the Parutis-Medb Passenger Gold Rush Bonanza is a top notch gentleman. I've gone from 130 million in the bank to over a billion in the past week, usually only doing one or two runs a day at over a hundo mil a pop.

Now I just need three more levels of Fed Rank for that Vette. :shepicide:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I got inter’d right as I was approaching a moon, I ended up zooming through the surface into the centre of the moon and then appearing meters above the surface.

Odd

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
People who tell you that dual huge hardpoints are bad are:

A: Failing to use plasmas, and
B: Flying the ship wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Picked this up in the steam sale. I was a huge fan of Frontier in my teens and I'm super pumped about playing. Any tips for starting out? Is it a good idea to jump direct into online play?

• Locked thread