Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Smol posted:

Trump... was a mistake.

Agreed friend, it's a category thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
double post puppies!

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 29, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
he can't fire people in person

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/946755224613597184

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/946569515676160001

Big bills for the biggest boy

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ratbert90 posted:

Anybody dogging on Musk should really read “Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future.” (Not written by him).

He has a lot of sore spots, but he is a genuine guy who’s only goal is to save the planet and prolong human life. He has a ton of rough spots when it comes to business, and he definitely sees his employees as numbers and tools to move his goals forward, but those goals are amicable and not out of greed.

Unlike Jobs who was just a greedy gently caress who would lie, steal, and screw anybody over for more money, Musk would go bankrupt (and drat near has) to fund SpaceX and Tesla, solely to continue to try and save this lovely planet.

I have to say this is how I know we're hosed as a culture. People wonder how Trump could get such steadfast loyalty despite his many failings, but imagine you saw eye to eye with HIS stated goals like ratbert here sees eye to eye with Musk's? Hey guys sure how he does it sucks and he treats people like interchangable parts there only to serve his own naked ambition but aren't the goals themselves super cool? Jesus Christ.

Sorry to be harsh but can't you see how that's the same thing? Come on. Ends do not justify means, no matter how hard you believe they do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Why.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Anybody dogging on Musk should really read “Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future.” (Not written by him).

He has a lot of sore spots, but he is a genuine guy who’s only goal is to save the planet and prolong human life. He has a ton of rough spots when it comes to business, and he definitely sees his employees as numbers and tools to move his goals forward, but those goals are amicable and not out of greed.

Unlike Jobs who was just a greedy gently caress who would lie, steal, and screw anybody over for more money, Musk would go bankrupt (and drat near has) to fund SpaceX and Tesla, solely to continue to try and save this lovely planet.

I would say Musk is more of a cross between Jobs and Wozniak.

Like Steve, he can dump employees without a care in the world if need be, work employees incredibly hard, and he has the stage presence (a bit rougher than Jobs, as he finds media events a waste of time).

Like Wozniak, he believes engineers should help mankind, and that helping people out of the products he makes is the most important thing one could do. Also like Wozniak, he is right there with his employees late into the night, something Jobs certainly didn’t want to do.

So: business rear end in a top hat like Jobs, genuine care for humanity like Wozniak.

uhhh telsa is awful to work for.

also lol at the center console ipad on the new tesla. great design.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

I have to say this is how I know we're hosed as a culture. People wonder how Trump could get such steadfast loyalty despite his many failings, but imagine you saw eye to eye with HIS stated goals like ratbert here sees eye to eye with Musk's? Hey guys sure how he does it sucks and he treats people like interchangable parts there only to serve his own naked ambition but aren't the goals themselves super cool? Jesus Christ.

Sorry to be harsh but can't you see how that's the same thing? Come on. Ends do not justify means, no matter how hard you believe they do.

I never defended Musk treating employees like numbers, that is a huge sore spot for me. That being said, I do at least acknowledge that his goals are good and he is striving towards helping humanity. I like Trump who can’t be reasoned with and literally made a “if global warming why snow?” Argument.

Musk CAN be reasoned with, it’s just that a lot of times people try to feed him a line of bullshit and he calls them out on it. He also has a reputation of taking other engineers jobs when they say something can’t be done, and doing it himself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhhh telsa is awful to work for.

also lol at the center console ipad on the new tesla. great design.

Sure is, but if you are interested in cars and tech, what other option is there?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There’s no way in hell I’m trusting any billionaire to save the planet and not just himself and his rich buddies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I like how he repeats stuff in a row like some dumb kid who is justifying lies to himself.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

I assume it stems front his insatiable need to feel loved by everyone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Obama. Probably.

Who knows.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

He's shrinking the government! :freep:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Radish posted:

These "save the world by moving 1% of the population to biodome/space" projects piss me off since the people that will be saved are the likes of Trump and the Kochs who hosed the rest of us. I'd rather they die on Earth with everyone else rather than anyone be saved.

If you make 30,000 a year you already are in the top 1% of income though. If you have around a medium income in a first world country it's you who are the ultra elite already, even if someone is even ultra elitier than you also.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

he knows more about aids than probably anyone

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

ratbert90 posted:

I never defended Musk treating employees like numbers, that is a huge sore spot for me. That being said, I do at least acknowledge that his goals are good and he is striving towards helping humanity. I like Trump who can’t be reasoned with and literally made a “if global warming why snow?” Argument.

Musk CAN be reasoned with, it’s just that a lot of times people try to feed him a line of bullshit and he calls them out on it. He also has a reputation of taking other engineers jobs when they say something can’t be done, and doing it himself.

Nothing you say here disproves my point. He sounds like most other super-rich people, ego crazed and untrusting of anyone but himself. I refuse to buy into cults of personality, even if many other Americans choose to participate in them. No one is above criticism and no goal is noble enough in and of itself to ignore how many people are hosed over in the service of said goal.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There’s no way in hell I’m trusting any billionaire to save the planet and not just himself and his rich buddies.

Also this.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Glazier posted:

Sorry, let me be more precise. It's not that he's holding everything up, like Atlas, because only he can do it. It's that he's holding everything up like the pensioner in line at the shop with 100 expired coupons.

FAKE EDIT: I just thought of the best analogy as I was typing this. He's any of the Kim's giving "on the spot guidance", doing nothing of value and getting in the way of people who actually know what they are doing.

Its amazing how the guy is running 8 companies while simultaneously strangling them with micromanagement

and also hes making zero impact on the planet while simultaneously forcing major car makers to chase his vision. Revolutionizing rocket technology

its all just smoke and mirrors you heard it here folks

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, Musk is basically a techbro sociopath -- told a devoted secretary of many years to take two weeks off to "see how he would do in her absence" after she asked for a raise, then fired her; his ex-wife said that after she had come back from three weeks away that he had "gotten on fine without her"; apparently overworks his employees and treats them like poo poo, etc. He also is openly disgusted by the concept of public transportation, which he does not use, while trying to hype the hyperloop as something that revolutionizes public transportation. Meanwhile the hyperloop is based on scientifically sound principles but still has yet to be properly prototyped and could have a ton of major flaws in its execution, not to mention it's gonna cost a shitload of money to actually properly develop and build. Not to say there's no chance the idea couldn't be worth it in the end, but right now it's just a concept.

I mean, the guy doesn't just throw his money away on bullshit or on actively making the planet worse like a lot of rich guys, so he's way better on that front. But, like, he does not seem like a genuine guy whose only goal is to save the planet. I guess it's just my opinion but it seems a lot more to me like he's out for glory. At the end of the day it's the scientists and engineers he employs who actually do everything anyway. If you want to celebrate anyone celebrate them, not just the guy who's deigning out of the charity of his heart to spend his billions on funding things that are worthwhile.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 29, 2017

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

He found out none of them were from Haiti.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I think they very concept of waiting around for some rich guy to come along and save us all is exactly what's wrong with our culture if you ask me, as a matter of fact. It's a storybook bullshit scenario, and a cop out. I see a lot of that in Musk fanboys (and fangirls).

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I thought this was the Trump thread not the Musk thread.

Here's a cool thread about Elon Musk(click to read more)
https://twitter.com/HazelMonforton/status/944172872041488385?s=17

I really don't give a poo poo about the guy but his cult like following creeps me out.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

You know why.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

dbukalski posted:

Its amazing how the guy is running 8 companies while simultaneously strangling them with micromanagement

and also hes making zero impact on the planet while simultaneously forcing major car makers to chase his vision. Revolutionizing rocket technology

What? In every industry that has established players they are outdoing Musk at every turn when there aren't theres a reason. Yes it's all smoke and mirrors.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 29, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dbukalski posted:

and the UAE is building a city sized biodome. wouldnt it be crazy if world leaders knew the earth was doomed and so their preparing the tech for humanity survived. Without panicking the workforce needed to develop them. Kind of like interstellar the movie

under the guise of preparing for mars colonies? then when things fall apart in earth they can shift their "Mars" tech back to earth

I’m waiting for the Radical-6 outbreak that will make this a reality.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 29, 2017

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

dbukalski posted:

Dude recently financed a mission to resupply the ISS using a rocket that had been launched, landed, and then launched again, resupplied the ISS, and landed again. gently caress, I'm impressed, I cooked a really good dinner last night.

Just because someone does something impressive and people talk about it doesn't mean they're deifying them.

Although, that was a legendary dinner. :smuggo:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Casey Finnigan posted:

his ex-wife said that after she had come back from three weeks away that he had "gotten on fine without her";

Ok

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Radish posted:

Yeah but that's not the long term goal. People getting sent to Mars initially will be signing themselves up for a lonely death on a desert planet in the name of science. The end plan is moving the elite off of the world. Obviously that's not happening in Trump's lifespan but it's the future Trumps that will benefit while everyone else is left to die on a flaming and freezing Earth.

you'd be considerably less stupid - perhaps even vaguely reasonable - if you instead latched onto the idea dbukalski was suggesting of using space- and Mars-colonization strategies to protect groups against climate change here on Earth

goddamned Antarctica or the bottom of the ocean is infinitely safer and friendlier to colonize than vacuum or any extraterrestrial body in the solar system

in fact, that's what I thought dbukalski was saying, that the elites were prototyping this to save themselves, but on a reread he's an optimist like me :3:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 29, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

Nothing you say here disproves my point. He sounds like most other super-rich people, ego crazed and untrusting of anyone but himself. I refuse to buy into cults of personality, even if many other Americans choose to participate in them. No one is above criticism and no goal is noble enough in and of itself to ignore how many people are hosed over in the service of said goal.

He has a group of people he trusts. I don’t trust a lot of people when it comes to business either. I’ve been hosed over plenty of times by people who say they will do one thing and then don’t. I also had to fire a friend because of this. I lost 10 years of friendship because I was stupid enough to hire somebody out of nepotism, and then when he tried to slack off and I was forced to fire him (several months too late), it destroyed our friendship. I have also had to fire several 1099’s and W2s because of poo poo like that.

If you have never been repeatedly hosed over by people in a business situation then it’s something you can’t understand. Most people are lovely, and will take advantage of you. Especially in a business. These days my employees and coworkers are just that, and my friends are friends. I don’t go as far as to treat them as numbers, but I am not a CEO either.

So yeah, if Musk has to fire somebody because they weren’t helping the business? That’s not loving them over, that’s good business. Unless you can give a specific example of somebody he has actually personally hosed over?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

What? In every industry that has established players they are outdoing Musk at every turn when there aren't theres a reason. Yes it's all smoke a mirrors.

Musk for prez. 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

dbukalski posted:

normally your posts are aight but no, Elon Musk has not done anything notable in any fields you're mentioning and the things you're arguing that he's done have not happened.

He did not revolutionise electric cars. His batteries are based on a loving decade and a half old MIT design that was adopted by ever major car and battery manufacturer. He did not drive the electric car surge; a bust of price-fixing by battery companies had more impact than he did to drive prices down. He did not invent reusable rockets, he hired people to refine a design NASA thought was dumb. Those work now, but haven't yet justified the amount of hype you're attributing them. He did not drive the surge in viable solar energy, that was entirely the chinese government. Vacuum transport is, right now, a really dumb thought experiment that is already costing more than it would be worth and does not address a single problem in the completely hosed US transportation field. Someone who spent his money adopting German public transport standards for rail would, within ten years, achieve more in this field than Elon Musk ever has or will in his life.

He is paying for his own propaganda with dumb poo poo that generates enormous clickbait. He has not actually achieved anything. Reusable rockets are not an interesting innovation when NASA and the US government have a loving space plane currently in operation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The rich aren't going to build Elysium when they've already discovered New Zealand is a lot cheaper. It's where Thiel has *his* bolthole.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

dbukalski posted:

Musk micromanaging the doors to be cool

My father-in-law owns a Model X. He took us out to dinner. It was raining. We came back from dinner, he opened the "cool doors", and they dumped water all over the back seats. :krad:

Musk does great stuff, but those doors are a loving debacle.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

KickerOfMice posted:

Dude recently financed a mission to resupply the ISS using a rocket that had been launched, landed, and then launched again, resupplied the ISS, and landed again. gently caress, I'm impressed, I cooked a really good dinner last night.

Just because someone does something impressive and people talk about it doesn't mean they're deifying them.

Why is it impressive to finance something? Again, his employees do the work.

Justine Musk posted:

Apparently (according, I believe, to Ashlee Vance, who wrote the book on Elon), MB asked for a raise. E told her that if she was truly critical to SpaceX, it should not be able to operate in her absence (or something to that effect). He suggested a 3-week experiment to test this hypothesis/her worth. This reminds me of something similar he once said to me, many years ago, after I came back from a week's visit with my family in Canada -- that his life had operated quite smoothly in my absence.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-known-about-Elon-Musks-long-time-assistant-Mary-Beth-Brown

Got some details wrong but that's a weird robot attitude to have

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

Eh, Musk is basically a techbro sociopath -- told a devoted secretary of many years to take two weeks off to "see how he would do in her absence" after she asked for a raise, then fired her;

He offered her a different position and she resigned.

quote:

his ex-wife said that after she had come back from three weeks away that he had "gotten on fine without her";
Yeah, that one is lovely.

quote:

apparently overworks his employees and treats them like poo poo,
Overwork? Maybe, but he is right there with them, he works late into the night just like everybody else. Treat them like poo poo? Not really as far as I can tell.

quote:

etc. He also is openly disgusted by the concept of public transportation, which he does not use, while trying to hype the hyperloop as something that revolutionizes public transportation. Meanwhile the hyperloop is based on scientifically sound principles but still has yet to be properly prototyped and could have a ton of major flaws in its execution, not to mention it's gonna cost a shitload of money to actually properly develop and build. Not to say there's no chance the idea couldn't be worth it in the end, but right now it's just a concept.
Lol, he’s disgusted with how much California was going to spend on their light rail, not at public transportation.

quote:

I mean, the guy doesn't just throw his money away on bullshit or on actively making the planet worse like a lot of rich guys, so he's way better on that front. But, like, he does not seem like a genuine guy whose only goal is to save the planet. I guess it's just my opinion but it seems a lot more to me like he's out for glory. At the end of the day it's the scientists and engineers he employs who actually do everything anyway. If you want to celebrate anyone celebrate them, not just the guy who's deigning out of the charity of his heart to spend his billions on funding things that are worthwhile.
Those engineers and scientists do deserve commendation. They are amazing people with a ton of talent. But you can’t discount the guy who is paying them and spearheading the company as well. Without him, those scientists wouldn’t be making the cool tech that might save the planet.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Radish posted:

These "save the world by moving 1% of the population to biodome/space" projects piss me off since the people that will be saved are the likes of Trump and the Kochs who hosed the rest of us. I'd rather they die on Earth with everyone else rather than anyone be saved.

They're just going to die in space instead. Do you honestly think they're going to take along the people who are the best chance of human survival or their cronies and friends?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ratbert90 posted:

Those engineers and scientists do deserve commendation. They are amazing people with a ton of talent. But you can’t discount the guy who is paying them and spearheading the company as well. Without him, those scientists wouldn’t be making the cool tech that might save the planet.

ah yes, the ~*~job creators~*~

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

ratbert90 posted:

I would say Musk is more of a cross between Jobs and Wozniak.

Like Steve, he can dump employees without a care in the world if need be, work employees incredibly hard, and he has the stage presence (a bit rougher than Jobs, as he finds media events a waste of time).

Like Wozniak, he believes engineers should help mankind, and that helping people out of the products he makes is the most important thing one could do. Also like Wozniak, he is right there with his employees late into the night, something Jobs certainly didn’t want to do.

So: business rear end in a top hat like Jobs, genuine care for humanity like Wozniak.

Cool, Musk can be the last rich person put against the wall when the revolution comes. It's what he deserves for being a genuine guy.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VH4Ever posted:

I think they very concept of waiting around for some rich guy to come along and save us all is exactly what's wrong with our culture if you ask me, as a matter of fact. It's a storybook bullshit scenario, and a cop out. I see a lot of that in Musk fanboys (and fangirls).

Is it possible to invent major world changing things without becoming rich? Is it good if that happens? It seems like the one moral way to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

botany posted:

ah yes, the ~*~job creators~*~

Are you saying they would have magically got together and made this tech without somebody making the company?

• Locked thread