Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Chinatown posted:

This poo poo isn't going anywhere and if it does it will flame out in spectacular fashion. Especially given the current climate on brain injury.

This is literally playing to the Trump base and unless its COMPLETELY different from the first iteration its not going anywhere. And even if it is, who cares, the NFL will launch an all out war against it on every conceivable front. They have been here before.

Where's the plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

You have MyNetwork and Ion, but those are closer to syndication packages with call signs than real OTA stations.

Ion airs like 16 hour blocks of Law and Order, it owns. Every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday I inject the :doink: straight into my veins.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Where's the plane?

It's still gone guy.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

You have MyNetwork and Ion, but those are closer to syndication packages with call signs than real OTA stations.

MyNetwork is owned by Fox I thought.

Ion, positively XFL!

EDIT: in the world of Professional Football you have the offense who score points and the defense who lays big hits. These are their stories... :doink:

Nystral fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 28, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VJeff posted:

If Punk wanted back in, Vince would re-sign him in a heartbeat. Punk would instantly be the biggest draw and most over star the company has because even getting murdered in UFC kills you less than being on Raw for three years.
Plus people forget that Vince loved Punk, it was HHH that hated him and kept loving him over in creative

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Professional wrestling is so dumb

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
To me they can go one of two ways:
They can try to play real football but if they do they are going to have to pay actual players and turn down the wackiness. Normally I'd say this would have no chance but the NFL as a whole has done such a great job with alienation of fans compared to other sports.
Maybe I could see the appeal of a league that understands what a loving catch is.

Or they can go the sports entertainment route and have more of a fun amateur feel to it and have entertaining scripts and storylines. Schlock can be an enjoyable form of entertainment.

What will doom them is if they somehow try to do both.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

pasaluki posted:

Or they can go the sports entertainment route and have more of a fun amateur feel to it and have entertaining scripts and storylines. Schlock can be an enjoyable form of entertainment.

Yes, imagine if the QB of the XFL North Dakota Sharks turns as a heel late in the 4th quarter by throwing a blatant interception to the Reno Blizzards and losing the game on purpose. It really could become roller derby on steroids.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It's a weird dynamic they have to straddle if they intend to have their fan base be the anti-protest guys. Those are the same guys who want those thug players to stop celebrating after every drat catch and pretend they've been there before! If they go too whacky those guys are gone

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

It's a weird dynamic they have to straddle if they intend to have their fan base be the anti-protest guys. Those are the same guys who want those thug players to stop celebrating after every drat catch and pretend they've been there before! If they go too whacky those guys are gone

Wasn't the original XFL all about celebrations / expressing yourself? Because the NFL at that time had been pretty stodgy about excessive celebration calls at the time.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I would be entirely not surprised if trumps tiny little alex smith hands were in this pie. You guys need to remember how Trump is quite literally the biggest outsider partner for Vince almost since the beginning. Let Vince invade atlantic city for Wrestlemania 4 and 5. Has even taken time from his busy sexual harassment schedule to do an entire head shaving angle. I could see Trump talking up Vince that he's going to do some sort of insane thing to knee cap the NFL and let the XFL become the big boy league.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I would be entirely not surprised if trumps tiny little alex smith hands were in this pie. You guys need to remember how Trump is quite literally the biggest outsider partner for Vince almost since the beginning. Let Vince invade atlantic city for Wrestlemania 4 and 5. Has even taken time from his busy sexual harassment schedule to do an entire head shaving angle. I could see Trump talking up Vince that he's going to do some sort of insane thing to knee cap the NFL and let the XFL become the big boy league.

Oh absolutely. No doubt that President Trump is a significant part of why Vince thinks it's actually going to work this time (Linda is in Trump's cabinet of cronies, after all).

Vince and Trump are basically the same person. with all the ill that implies about both men.

I half-expect a Misappropriation of Federal Funds scandal as Trump tries to funnel our tax dollars into keeping the XFL afloat beyond its natural lifespan [and for it to get lost in the shuffle of all the other scandalous poo poo he does]

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The McMahon family blew a huge amount of money on Linda McMahon running for senate in 2010 and 2012. Naturally she failed upward parallelly, becoming Administrator of the Small Business Administration. Normally I agree that Vince would do anything for ratings but not after past promotions with Trump and Linda currently in his cabinet.

I bet they want the games to be on a known network and for just as much other content to be on WWE Network. Pregame, recaps, and behind the scenes shows would be a ton of new content for them. They could even repackage the original XFL footage.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They need to incorporate that slam dunk that players sometimes do to celebrate a touchdown, maybe make that a 3 point conversion.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
LOL if they try to make a 'worked' football league. I guess it could be cool if it was worked but no one knew about it. Just a real league with real games but teams cut promos on each other and some are heels or faces would be p cool.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I would imagine for a new XFL to lure any talent off current NFL teams at bare minimum they would need to offer guys at least a million a year, there's no way this is just going to be teams comprised of dudes they found playing pickup football at the YMCA.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DariusLikewise posted:

I would imagine for a new XFL to lure any talent off current NFL teams at bare minimum they would need to offer guys at least a million a year, there's no way this is just going to be teams comprised of dudes they found playing pickup football at the YMCA.

Pull a 12th man gimmick but for real. Interested fans at the game sign up for a lottery, and if your name is called, you get to run one play as QB/punter/safety.

You could always work that gimmick too, who would know?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Michael Corleone posted:

LOL if they try to make a 'worked' football league. I guess it could be cool if it was worked but no one knew about it. Just a real league with real games but teams cut promos on each other and some are heels or faces would be p cool.

The thing is, you can sort of make teams heels and faces. A proof of concept is NASCAR. On one hand, you have Hendrick Motorsports, or what would be the face stable. You have the boring invincible hero (Johnson), the old guy who is popular but was never really good (Dale Jr before he retired), and the baby faced hero looking for that first big break (Chase). And a random fourth dude.

On the other side, you have Joe Gibbs, who is very much the heels. Kyle Busch is the leader and the most hated (and to his credit, he fully embraced the heel role), but also good enough in his own right. Denny Hamlin is the guy who will do the dirty work to ruin someone else's day at times.

It's doable without having to implement the whole "it's fixed!" poo poo.

I mean, the Patriots are very much the heel right now in the NFL, but they aren't promoted as such. Every one in NASCAR knows Kyle Busch is a jackass and Chase got jobbed by Denny at Bristol.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 29, 2017

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Worked football would be aaaamazing. I would be all about that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

iospace posted:

I mean, the Patriots are very much the heel right now in the NFL, but they aren't promoted as such.

I want to see Tom Brady wear a He Hate Me Pats jersey now.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

You guys wanna see a "worked" football league? I have good news for you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808954

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

nerve posted:

Worked football would be aaaamazing. I would be all about that.

We have it now and it's not that amazing, honestly.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Oh, cool, goons have this base covered already

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

The thing is, you can sort of make teams heels and faces. A proof of concept is NASCAR. On one hand, you have Hendrick Motorsports, or what would be the face stable. You have the boring invincible hero (Johnson), the old guy who is popular but was never really good (Dale Jr before he retired), and the baby faced hero looking for that first big break (Chase). And a random fourth dude.

On the other side, you have Joe Gibbs, who is very much the heels. Kyle Busch is the leader and the most hated (and to his credit, he fully embraced the heel role), but also good enough in his own right. Denny Hamlin is the guy who will do the dirty work to ruin someone else's day at times.

It's doable without having to implement the whole "it's fixed!" poo poo.

I mean, the Patriots are very much the heel right now in the NFL, but they aren't promoted as such. Every one in NASCAR knows Kyle Busch is a jackass and Chase got jobbed by Denny at Bristol.
What about danica

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

What about danica

Designated fall person

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Mister Perky posted:

We have it now and it's not that amazing, honestly.

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

the XFL is what's going to somehow break the NFLPA and ensure that football never has a viable union ever again

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

C. Everett Koop posted:

the XFL is what's going to somehow break the NFLPA and ensure that football never has a viable union ever again

Just as planned

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mister Perky posted:

Vince and Trump are basically the same person. with all the ill that implies about both men.

This isn't true.

Vince is far, far more successful than Donny.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

C. Everett Koop posted:

They will bankrupt the NFL and force them to merge into the XFL.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This is a dumb idea. I mean there's already a scripted football league.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
what if Vince goes uber-troll and the XFL 2.0 is a radical version of soccer

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what if Vince goes uber-troll and the XFL 2.0 is a radical version of soccer

Its literally cricket, but he just keeps calling it Football2.0

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So when is this gonna get announced?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

So when is this gonna get announced?

There's a press conference scheduled for january 25th.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Why do i want this when there happens to already be the NFL in existence? What need is there for a #2 of fake footbale.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cavauro posted:

Why do i want this when there happens to already be the NFL in existence? What need is there for a #2 of fake footbale.

I'm sorry but cities like Cincinnati need professional football teams too.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

The XFL will never succeed because there’s too much competition in the rigged football market

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am sorry but the xfl will be highly marketable because it will feature the key selling point of no tom brady

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

I'm sorry but cities like Cincinnati need professional football teams too.

What does this mean. as well, the nfl is already scripted and we don't need another faker league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Cavauro posted:

Well this as #2 would be better than the current #2 wherein people justify watching slaves perform mortal combat for their entertainment