Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't be "that" guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

Don't be "that" guy.

Be THIS guy.
*crotch thrust*

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sunswipe posted:

Be THIS guy.
*crotch thrust*

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"Enter the man who has no underwear. Ask me why."
"Why do you have no underwear, Lord Flasheart?"
"Because the pants haven't been built yet that'll take the job on!"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Oh God I miss him. His episode from the 4th season was probably the best.

-MY GOD!
-Yes, I suppose I am!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Woof!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Total in 2013: $28,446,117
Total in 2014: $32,933,205 (14% bump from previous year)
Total in 2015: $35,961,202 (8.5% bump from previous year)
Total in 2016: $36,100,538 (.4% bump from previous year)
Total in 2017 (three days of funding remain): $34,592,496 (4.2% drop from previous year)

this will be the first year star citizen hasn't grown in funding

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

Total in 2013: $28,446,117
Total in 2014: $32,933,205 (14% bump from previous year)
Total in 2015: $35,961,202 (8.5% bump from previous year)
Total in 2016: $36,100,538 (.4% bump from previous year)
Total in 2017 (three days of funding remain): $34,592,496 (4.2% drop from previous year)

this will be the first year star citizen hasn't grown in funding

on sunday miku will deposit 1.5m, just you wait

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I should also mention, this year had more and longer sales than any previous year

it also included land vehicle and land parcel sales, several "rare" ships back on sale, a "huge" content drop with 3.0 and a janky VS of SQ42

next year is going to be loving abysmal

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
its also hard to believe that the 3.0 hype has been touted for almost 2 years

where does the time go

(it goes into :justpost:ing)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh God I miss him. His episode from the 4th season was probably the best.

-MY GOD!
-Yes, I suppose I am!

Alternatively, in your case:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

its also hard to believe that the 3.0 hype has been touted for almost 2 years

where does the time go

(it goes into :justpost:ing)

there is no hype for 3.0, 3.0 is just a minor patch. all the real changes are coming in 3.1 or 3.2

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

big nipples big life posted:

you have a google alert for your own name

if you say 'Derek Smart' three times on the internet he appears

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

there is no hype for 3.0, 3.0 is just a minor patch. all the real changes are coming in 3.1 or 3.2

We've always been at war with *checks notes* Eastasia.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I think you mean 4.0, as the 3.x series is just laying the groundwork for their expanded pipelines

now that the basics are in place, content will start coming at a much faster pace

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nice!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
If you took 175 million dollars and used it to finance an arson spree, where you went around the country setting fire to landfills, you would not end up with as big a pile of flaming trash as 3.0

And these chucklefucks plan to build the most ambitious video game of all time on this foundation. I hope the backers keep this going forever, it's amazing

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

I think you mean 4.0, as the 3.x series is just laying the groundwork for their expanded pipelines

now that the basics are in place, content will start coming at a much faster pace

Now that all the framework in done in 4.0, 5.0 will be be the big patch that will really save PC gaming.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

Alternatively, in your case:

What show is that?

Also, if any of you like cool RPG's divinity 2 ain't bad.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

What show is that?

The show is Blackadder and Divinity 2 is goddamn excellent.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

spacetoaster posted:

What show is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K_chZOdc-A

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

3.1 is coming at the end of next year and it'll be renamed 4.0

it'll drop the frames of everyone on the server to 5 seconds per frame as each client has to realistically calculate each others fluid metal dynamics.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 29, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

celewign posted:

I like how it's immediately obvious that people spent their Christmas money from their parents on the game.

This is both a sad and true thought. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Xaerael posted:

AH! I need to know the name of that game.

It’s called Immortal. Slowbeef actually did a great LP of it:

https://youtu.be/KA1kIBwGhrk

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Oh dear, Charlie Hall is taking a break from telling readers about how Star Citizen is leap-frogging Elite and actually describing his player experience with 3.0. It actually makes for good reading in places, though the deferential interjections seem tonally incongruent.

POLYGON: Star Citizen’s bugs will get you killed

quote:

How I crashed into a planet at 1,500 kilometers per hour

Charlie Hall
Dec 29, 2017, 10:00am EST

With the release of Alpha Patch 3.0.0, Star Citizen’s persistent universe (PU) has received a major upgrade. After a few hours with the latest build, it’s very clearly still a work-in-progress. New features like atmospheric flight set the game apart from its peers, both in the fidelity of the experience and in the science fiction that underlies it. But a poor user interface and pernicious bugs make it incredibly frustrating to play.

The Alpha Patch adds three new, planet-sized moons to the game and, along with them, the ability to perform planetary landings. Figuring out how to get from point A to point B took quite a bit of work. Here’s what I’ve been able to figure out so far.

When you drop into the PU, you’re placed on board the Port Olisar space station, above the planet Crusader. The planet’s three new moons — Yela, Daymar and Cellin — are tens of thousands of kilometers away. To reach one, you first need to open up your MobiGlas, which is a holographic menu system that you project from your left wrist. It’s cool, but also unnecessarily complicated. The color choices and various bugs in the display mean you can hardly read it at times. Nevertheless, you use the mouse and keyboard to manipulate a holographic map in front of you, choose a destination and then hop in your ship.

But let’s say that that you want to go to the moon Cellin, and it’s on the other side of Crusader from you. You obviously can’t fly a straight line from Port Olisar to Cellin without crashing into Crusader.

Also, since the game is nowhere near finished, Crusader hasn’t actually been built yet.

Instead, you have to travel between a series of navigational beacons that sit in high orbit around Crusader. Once you move to the right beacon, the planet is no longer in the way, and you’ll be able to plot a straight line to Cellin.

Movement from beacon to beacon is accomplished via your ship’s quantum drive. It folds the space in front of your ship and allows you to travel at about one-fifth the speed of light. That means the hop from Port Olisar to the correct navigational beacon only takes a few seconds. Once Crusader is out of the way, it’s only a few seconds more until you’re in orbit over Cellin.

Here’s where things get a little screwy.

Let’s say that you want to reach a particular point on Cellin, like a mine or a farm. They’re scattered all around the surface of the planet, and each of them shows up as a blue square on your heads-up display along with its linear distance from your ship. But some of those locations will be on the other side of the moon from you. Right now, there’s no indication that they are.

Bugs we encountered

We found several challenging bugs in Alpha Patch 3.0.0. First off, the implementation of TrackIR support is not ideal. The view floats around, even with a large dead zone, and requires a reset of the system’s center point every minute or so. I’ve resorted to flying without it for now.

The issues with the UI overall were most troubling. At times, the in-cockpit HUD would fail to display and I had to switch back and forth between third-person and first-person views to get it to show up at all. The MobiGlas menu was difficult to read when backlit by the dashboard display in some ships, and it seemed to change brightness at times.

The most challenging bug was a ghosted image of the MobiGlas that remained in my field of view, no matter what I did. It seemed to be complicated by the shadows being cast by Crusader’s central star. The only solution was to reboot the game entirely, losing any progress that I’d made.

Of the six times that I closed it, the program crashed five times and required me to manually kill it through Windows Task Manager. (:lol:)

All of these bugs were found, with evidence of them being repeatable either in part or in whole, on the Star Citizen bug-tracking system.

I flew into Cellin at 1,500 kilometers per hour before I figured that out.

The workaround is that pilots must use dead reckoning to guess if the point of interest they want to visit is on the hemisphere that they’re facing, and then use Cellin’s own set of navigational beacons to move to the correct side of the moon and begin their descent.

What’s frustrating is that, outside of using a ship’s quantum drive, spaceflight is relatively slow, given the distances involved.
Elite: Dangerous solves this problem with an in-between speed, called supercruise, that lets you orbit a planet relatively quickly. But in Star Citizen quantum flight and navigational beacons is the only way to go. It’s an in-fiction choice, and one that makes gameplay dramatically different.

Back to my two crash landings.

I was aiming at a landing point that was on the other side of the planet from me. That was clearly a mistake, but one that was very easy to make. As I began my descent, I had some 800 kilometers to go, so I pegged the throttle at about 1,500 kph and sat back.

Minutes passed, and my concentration drifted.

When I looked back at my screen, my HUD was telling me that I had another 300 kilometers or so to go. But the ground completely filled my view. I became disoriented and unsure of where my horizon was.

Cellin is basically a barren wasteland. With no points of reference like buildings, cities, rivers or towns, it was difficult to tell just how close the ground I was. Imagine standing in a perfectly white room and running at a plain white wall at full speed, and you’ll begin to understand the dangers involved.

The first time it happened, I died on impact. The second time, I bounced.

My second crash. I thought I had another 500 kilometers to go. The mountain range I was looking at turned out to be a series of low hills. The bounce was unexpected, and likely a bug. (There’s a lot of that going around, friend...)

Losing the horizon and misjudging your distance from objects like the ground and mountains is a big danger for real-world pilots. Becoming “instrument rated” is therefore a big step in the life of a budding pilot, as it means that you have the skills and the experience necessary to use the instrumentation there in the cockpit to keep yourself and your passengers safe. (Ya ever heard the story of the pilot who could land a plane in real life but couldn’t land a ship in Star Citizen, Charlie? Good times!)

Right now, Star Citizen’s other features, including its instrumentation, are both incomplete and buggy. That makes flying ships close to the surface much harder than it should be.

Testing the Alpha Patch was further evidence that the team at Roberts Space Industries and Cloud Imperium Games could stand to focus a bit more on the basics of flight. To me, the joy of a spaceflight simulation is the joy of maneuver. If you’re not having any fun simply flying the ship around, then you’re not having any fun at all.

You know, when you stop and think about it, if the core mechanic in your $175 million Space Sim is a frustratingly-designed funkiller after five years, maybe - just maybe - Star Citizen is bad?

Imagine that gnawing feeling in your stomach if you’re a game journalist whose been hyping a dumpster fire for years... Your commitment to the defense was such that you planned even to dox the evil goon in the wheelchair who dared fight for and win a refund...

...but then a couple years later it slowly dawns on you that maybe the biggest publicly funding gaming project in history is actually bad by design, hopelessly behind, beset by potentially existentially fatal lawsuits, and maybe even on target to be THE BIG ONE, the disaster that makes everything from E.T. to Daikatana to Duke Nukem Forever all look like amateur hour botches... so maybe refunds actually were morally justified. Maybe the critics you saw as bad guys actually had a point all along, and you had the power and the platform to have said the same. You could’ve served the public interest in the process but you just couldn’t see what it was even though that was technically your job and it was standing right in front of you like some idiot colossus, staring you in the face.

There’s no shame in reassessing one’s possession when you find yourself on the wrong side of the good. You can still think Derek is a big obnoxious blowhard, and that some of the trolls are too vicious, and that the failures of the project were scope, skill, design and project management ones instead of systematic scamming of the most pathological kind. There’s lots of room for nuance on the right side against a wrong — you just have to get there before you can find it.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 29, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The Titanic posted:

It’s called Immortal. Slowbeef actually did a great LP of it:

https://youtu.be/KA1kIBwGhrk

I played/completed it ages ago on the Megadrive. It was just one of those games that I'd forgotten the name of, but could remember the content.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

Oh dear, Charlie Hall is taking a break from telling readers about how Star Citizen is leap-frogging Elite and actually describing his player experience with 3.0. It actually makes for good reading in places, though the deferential interjections seem tonally incongruent.

You know, when you stop and think about it, if the core mechanic in your $175 million Space Sim is a frustratingly-designed funkiller after five years, maybe - just maybe - Star Citizen is bad?

Imagine that gnawing feeling in your stomach if you’re a game journalist whose been hyping a dumpster fire for years... Your commitment to the defense was such that you planned even to dox the evil goon in the wheelchair who dared fight for and win a refund...

...but then a couple years later it slowly dawns on you that maybe the biggest publicly funding gaming project in history is actually bad by design, hopelessly behind, beset by potentially existentially fatal lawsuits, and maybe even on target to be THE BIG ONE, the disaster that makes everything from E.T. to Daikatana to Duke Nukem Forever all look like amateur hour botches... so maybe refunds actually were morally justified. Maybe the critics you saw as bad guys actually had a point all along, and you had the power and the platform to have said the same. You could’ve served the public interest in the process but you just couldn’t see what it was even though that was technically your job and it was standing right in front of you like some idiot colossus, staring you in the face.

There’s no shame in reassessing one’s possession when you find yourself on the wrong side of the good. You can still think Derek is a big obnoxious blowhard, and that some of the trolls are too vicious, and that the failures of the project were scope, skill, design and project management ones instead of systematic scamming of the most pathological kind. There’s lots of room for nuance on the right side against a wrong — you just have to get there before you can find it.

I liked this bit

quote:

New features like atmospheric flight set the game apart from its peers, both in the fidelity of the experience and in the science fiction that underlies it.

quote:

Testing the Alpha Patch was further evidence that the team at Roberts Space Industries and Cloud Imperium Games could stand to focus a bit more on the basics of flight. To me, the joy of a spaceflight simulation is the joy of maneuver. If you’re not having any fun simply flying the ship around, then you’re not having any fun at all.

Which one is it, Charlie!!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The "atmosphere" in SC is just a filter right? And seriously is it that easy to loving misjudge your entry to planet that badly? Do they not add a distance meter like better space games? And lol, they couldn't add a UI symbol thats just spaced out lines in a circle and a solid circle when the post is on one side or the other in the planet like in elite?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

You know, though, there doesn't even need to be a right side/wrong side argument. The simple equation "Chris Roberts = Failed Project" was the only universal constant during this entire debacle. From that building block came the bad design, scope creep, excessive expenditures, cart-before-the-horse development, contractual violations, and all the other things that have become hallmarks of Star Citizen.

No force can contradict "Chris Roberts = Failed Project". Derek Smart is completely impotent against it, as is Ortwin, Sandi, Erin, Goons, Reddit, the gaming media - all of it, the phantom wars fought in comments sections, the photoshops, the YouTube videos, the "arguments" fought amongst those who believe that somehow words on a computer screen can possibly overcome the fundamental equation.

None of it matters. Chris Roberts' inability is a fundamental force of the universe, like gravity, which is another force he doesn't understand.

The only good to come out of Star Citizen was the humor, and it's a good thing we've been here to harvest it, because all that's left after the humor has been stripmined will be tears.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 29, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

This is both a sad and true thought. :(

Mum: So, what are you going to buy with your Christmas money, son?
Dad: Maybe a deposit on an apartment? Membership to a dating site?
Son: DUH! You NEVER listen to me! I've already spent the money on Star Citizen! And if you'd given me money instead of that useless car, I'd have a completionist package!
Mum weeps as they leave the basement
Dad: Told you we should have got him a prostitute.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

G0RF posted:

This is a good post!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Those things cannot be killed if I am thinking of the right creature, I remember reading someone's effort to murder one of those within his tank and it was a prolonged war effort to be certain. Didn't want to nuke the entire tank as he had other fish within it so he had to use every trick in the book to win the war

AFAIK it's pretty much a "put your fish into a temporary tank and then drain/sterilize/remove all of the big rocks/sand/everything your primary tank" type scenario.

You cannot defeat the bobbit worm without digging into your favorite quotes from Aliens.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Dusty Lens posted:

AFAIK it's pretty much a "put your fish into a temporary tank and then drain/sterilize/remove all of the big rocks/sand/everything your primary tank" type scenario.

You cannot defeat the bobbit worm without digging into your favorite quotes from Aliens.

If you read the bobbit worm thread someone linked further up, they wind up perfecting the art of removing them whole and alive with adapted rat traps.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The "atmosphere" in SC is just a filter right? And seriously is it that easy to loving misjudge your entry to planet that badly? Do they not add a distance meter like better space games? And lol, they couldn't add a UI symbol thats just spaced out lines in a circle and a solid circle when the post is on one side or the other in the planet like in elite?

It is that easy. There's a gif in the article where he runs into some mountains that look like they're off in the distance but are actually about ten feet away

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

G0RF posted:

quote:

What’s frustrating is that, outside of using a ship’s quantum drive, spaceflight is relatively slow, given the distances involved. Elite: Dangerous solves this problem with an in-between speed, called supercruise, that lets you orbit a planet relatively quickly. But in Star Citizen quantum flight and navigational beacons is the only way to go. It’s an in-fiction choice, and one that makes gameplay dramatically different.

I want to call bullshit on this in particular. "In fiction choice" my rear end. CIG hasnt been able to deliver a proper 64b and procedural generation and these nav beacons and straight line no control quantum drive thing are probably the safest way to allow for players to move around at all.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 29, 2017

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Solarin posted:

that guy is definitely trolling though he is right that goons said 3.0 was gonna be great

3.0 was and is great I'm still enjoying the revisionist history being pushed as the new narrative by the faithful. AAA+ Would watch again!

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Another good G0RF posting to deconstruct the Star Citizen smoke and mirrors

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

gently caress that

Buy a temporary tank, rescue the fish. Carpet bomb the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFpoGfMbs8

look at that bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

It is that easy. There's a gif in the article where he runs into some mountains that look like they're off in the distance but are actually about ten feet away

The moons are tiny, but are made to appear further away and larger with visual effects. Would they even have atmospheres if they are that small?