Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Basebf555 posted:

Scott is just a person who is always gonna have a strong opinion, that's just his personality. And he's never been shy about saying "we're doing it this way because I'm the loving director and I say that's how we're doing it". So I wouldn't take it personally if I were Villanueve.

They both argued in public over the original while promoting this one and neither one seemed to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Derivative implies he had nothing to do with the actual CONTENT (re: story) as opposed to direction.

Eh wouldn't be too sure of that it doesn't go along with the story that Hampton and the rest of the writers said happened re 2049, but you never know.

BarronsArtGallery posted:

He's an aging douchebag and needs to just retire. If he would have directed this it would have been just as terrible and derivative as Alien: Covenant.

This is insanity tho. He still manages good work, American Gangster was a pretty good crime movie and I've heard good things about Hostiles. He does so many movies some of them are gonna be great just by the law of numbers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ridley Scott is a beautiful bastard and I hope he makes movies forever.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

Trump is just a person who is always gonna have a strong opinion, that's just his personality. And he's never been shy about saying "we're doing it this way because I'm the loving president and I say that's how we're doing it". So I wouldn't take it personally if I were minorities.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Shageletic posted:

Eh wouldn't be too sure of that it doesn't go along with the story that Hampton and the rest of the writers said happened re 2049, but you never know.

This is insanity tho. He still manages good work, American Gangster was a pretty good crime movie and I've heard good things about Hostiles. He does so many movies some of them are gonna be great just by the law of numbers.

Ridley Scott didn't make Hostiles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lol.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I can't believe I have to actually explain this to you, but Trump's actions actually meaningfully hurt people, whereas Ridley Scott is just an old dork who makes movies.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

The new Godwin's Law.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Hope Scott doesn't make any more movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hope he drops dead making a movie. Luv you Rid.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why didn't he end up directing this one? If he's so loving prolific and he wrote the story...

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Busy making Covenant.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:laffo:

I'm picturing you about to poo poo your pants during the climactic fight with the roaring waves & claustrophobia

Full disclosure: I made that anecdote up. I wanted to respond to Hundu’s iPhone disgust with the most ridiculously terrible movie watching experience I could think of, with the worst possible picture and sound quality.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Ridley Scott didn't make Hostiles.

Woops. Replacee that with the Martian then.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Full disclosure: I made that anecdote up. I wanted to respond to Hundu’s iPhone disgust with the most ridiculously terrible movie watching experience I could think of, with the worst possible picture and sound quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My boss’s name is David Lynch and he’s got a mild passing resemblance to director David Lynch, but their voices are radically different and it totally ruins the “illusion”.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

If you post on a movie forum, you gotta know certain things, like this, and Orson Welles' sick burns on Woody Allen, stuff like that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you post on a movie forum, you gotta know certain things, like this, and Orson Welles' sick burns on Woody Allen, stuff like that.
I am an unwashed plebeian, as I've never heard Orson Welles' sick burns.

No, really, I'm not familiar with this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I am an unwashed plebeian, as I've never heard Orson Welles' sick burns.

No, really, I'm not familiar with this.

"I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge.

He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is ­unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably ­arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic."

It's probably this one, which I had heard previous attributed to David Niven. Either way, it's pretty loving savage.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I mean presumably Allen would agree with basically all of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

"I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge.

He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is ­unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably ­arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic."

It's probably this one, which I had heard previous attributed to David Niven. Either way, it's pretty loving savage.

It's from My Lunches with Orson.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

That’s a really dumb thing to say Orson

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Orson Welles owns.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Really enjoyed it but I think I'll opt for the blu ray. The digital streaming looked pretty lovely sometimes with all of the dark color palettes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean Welles was right about Allen but some people are just actually shy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Recently saw the martian, it wasn't that bad even though it really over used some music on some parts. Nice to see Ridley make a simple movie instead of whatever he was attempting to do with prometheus.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 31, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I mean presumably Allen would agree with basically all of it.

he has something else in common with Chaplin too

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
The violence in this movie was really jarring and brutal when it happened.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Are you not entertained?!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Snowman_McK posted:

I think my favourite thing about this quote is Welles of all people talking about pretending to be modest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think my favourite thing about this quote is Welles of all people talking about pretending to be modest.

Hey, if I made a movie that rewrote cinematic language at age 12 or whatever he was, I'd never shut up about it either.

I mean, there's a bit of projection in that quote, undoubtedly, but I think he's on the mark about Allen. Many years ago, Allen was presenting some Oscar, and he opened with 'when the Academy called me, my first thought was 'oh no, they want them back.' which is a fine, albeit bland joke. He then follows up with a stuttering 'because I've won a few times.' It's a perfect synergy of something that sounds like self deprecation, but is a boast. The kids now even have a word for it, a humble-brag.

Are you not entertained?!

No.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

So this movie makes a solid double feature along with Terminator and I think this is worthwhile reading specifically in relation to the topic of A.I. - Wallace corp, Skynet and so on. Old hat to most here, but figure some might find it worthwhile.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey, if I made a movie that rewrote cinematic language at age 12 or whatever he was, I'd never shut up about it either.

Don't get me wrong, Welles has every right to be an arrogant prick considering his accomplishments. I just find the quote funny because I've never heard an example of him being particularly humble.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't know much about the man outside his work but Welles has never come off as even pretending to be modest to me. He's always seemed like a big, boisterous, loud, and proud man who is very open about being an arrogant prick because he believed, perhaps rightly, that he had every right to be.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Don't get me wrong, Welles has every right to be an arrogant prick considering his accomplishments. I just find the quote funny because I've never heard an example of him being particularly humble.

It makes sense that a genuinely arrogant person (arrogant about real accomplishments, at least) would have no idea how to be humble.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Welles never struck me as being particularly arrogant. He was a big, boisterous guy who liked to talk, and he lived he a fascinating life so he had a lot to talk about. But he had a fine line in self-deprecating humour and never seemed to take himself too seriously in any interviews Ive seen or read with him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't know much about the man outside his work but Welles has never come off as even pretending to be modest to me. He's always seemed like a big, boisterous, loud, and proud man who is very open about being an arrogant prick because he believed, perhaps rightly, that he had every right to be.

this is it.

My Lunches With Orson is an insanely pro read.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I finally got around to reading Pale Fire thanks to it having been featured so prominently in this film. I suspected that K wasn't actually the "chosen one" throughout the film, but I wonder if I would have caught it sooner thematically if I had read PF first. In PF, Professor Charles Kinbote (referring to himself as K within his extensive annexes) fails to understand that in his incomplete picture of reality, he is subconsciously attempting to assume the role and prestige of his gifted, peerless idol through insanity-driven subterfuge after possibly leading his idol to an early death. Blade Runner K pretty quickly concludes that he's the promised Christ-like figure of the replicants because of his false, implanted memories, and unnecessarily brings danger to the actual miracle child because of this belief.

Regarding the literary connection someone made earlier in this thread between the Jo K of this film and the Josef Ks of Kafka's collected works, it seems a bit more tenuous. They seem to start at opposite ends, BR K beginning the story as a loyal, integral part of the bureaucratic machine (who slowly becomes more disillusioned with it), while the Kafka Ks always seem to begin as inherent outsiders desperately trying to break into or understand an indifferent and monolithic bureaucratic system (either remaining disillusioned with it throughout, or later developing an obsession or blind loyalty to it). However, they both seem to be driven by a sort of instinct to understand the world around them and the systems of control that bind them.

BR K's possession of and enjoyment of such a subversive work as Pale Fire kind of raises the question of how loyal he was to his system to begin with. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the "cells interlinked" section of the poem featured so prominently in the film. It seems to very viscerally describe a human conception of fleshly existence and mortality, so I'm wondering whether K volunteered it as an aspect of his baseline test, or whether it was assigned as a general, ubiquitous test for all replicants to gauge the level of meaning they ascribe to their own lives. This would seem counter-intuitive, as compelling someone to regularly confront such complex philosophical concepts is a good way to keep the question of meaning and purpose firmly in their minds in the face of an otherwise meaningless existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

this is it.

My Lunches With Orson is an insanely pro read.

I read it at least once a year because it's just so hilarious to read just how openly and blatantly Welles despises Jaglom, and Jaglom literally doesn't pick up on it at all. It feels like every 20 pages or so, there's an instance of Jaglom running an idea for some movie or another past Welles, and Welles just completely tears into him. "That's stupid, don't be stupid, you're a loving moron if you do this." And Jaglom just eats it up because he's so overcome with hero worship for him.

• Locked thread