Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

I don't know a single contractor/plumber/electrician who isn't well off. If you have some business sense, are driven, care about doing good work, and don't have a drug/mental health problem, then you're pretty much guaranteed to have a six figure income and lots of vacation time.

You can add freelance IT when doing to the door residential work but again the same caveats applies. Pay is great... when you can get the work. Mostly "Fix my internet/youtube box!". Tablets has been eating into this a little, but you then offer a superior big screen solution while offering to fix their other little nags so you have good rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
judging people is pretty stupid as a stand alone thing, and I definitely don't get caring about what choices people make if they have nothing to do with me. this came up when people were ripping the homeless begging backpackers. it's like "who gives a poo poo, it's not how I want to spend my life but if that's what they want to do, more power to them I guess"

I don't care what anyone its does, y'all go hog wild doing whatever you want, and if we meet I'll buy you a beer

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

syscall girl posted:

"You guys" is a really stupid way to refer to a scant handful of people who probably do not and probably do not wish to represent a large and diverse population, hth.

I don't care because Power Khan made the funniest post on the internet (today)

Ironically the game is up but they used the word 'hope' and I about wet myself

That guys austrian so don't applaud his speeches too much

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Great Autismo! posted:

I don't care what anyone its does, y'all go hog wild doing whatever you want, and if we meet I'll buy you a beer

thank you

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

:swoon:

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
All y'all teachers forgot about Mexico. $400 USD per month in a tutor center or in a high school. If you got a Master's, you can make about about $1100-1200 USD per month as professor.

LOL

TBH, I would totally teach in Mexico and like to be there on horrible salary if I didn't have student loans to pay off.

---
Chaoshan Men are the Ultimate in Masculinity (A story for Sincx to prove we must prop up our fragile egos)

I was walking with Chaoshan Girl here in BKK and saw a very rotund sexpat with a hired village girl, carrying the shopping bags full of stuff he bought for her while she played on her phone. I pointed it out to her and she said it reminded her of her older brother. I asked why, and she said when his wife was super pregnant and huge he forced her to carry all their shopping bags and groceries for him. When CG asked him why he made his pregnant wife do all the work, he said he would lose face if anyone saw him carrying bags for her.

Their marriage is doing splendid, and by splendid he hates his wife and kids with a passion and spends as much time away from home as possible. Every other week he asks for a divorce and then has his mom talk him out of it, since he's only 25 and has already been married 4 years or something. She said he doesn't call his kids by name or ever talks or plays with them or buys them anything. They have very few toys and no books.
His wife doesn't work because she has to take care of the kids (since CG's parents want nothing to do with raising kids since they already have their own 7-story house in their own village, so don't need to rely on family at all), and the brother makes his wife borrow money from him to pay for their kids and the food. Like, he actually makes her pay him back whatever she uses even though he makes upwards of 80k-100k RMB per month. She's taken to asking her friends and relatives to lend her money to survive.

CG is here in Thailand and her poor sister-in-law is trying to live vicariously through her and is asking tons of questions, since she knows she'll never get to go anywhere. Once Mr. Poopy Diapers gets the divorce he watns, she'll be back to her parents house with two kids and not a single jiao to her name.

And LOL that there's a bunch of weird dudes on reddit that would read that story and think he's doing all the right things to handle his women and keep his kids wise to the world or something.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope it won't ruin your relationship with CG to suggest that her brother needs to be :murder:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Bajaj posted:

he's doing all the right things to handle his women and keep his kids wise to the world or something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Bajaj, buy those kids some books.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

VideoTapir posted:

Bajaj, buy those kids some books.

only if they are boys. women children have no use for learning.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bajaj posted:

CG is here in Thailand and her poor sister-in-law is trying to live vicariously through her and is asking tons of questions, since she knows she'll never get to go anywhere. Once Mr. Poopy Diapers gets the divorce he watns, she'll be back to her parents house with two kids and not a single jiao to her name.

That would be the 7 story house? Sounds good to me, must be better than what she's got now. I mean surely her parents have some affection for their grandchildren after all?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

His Divine Shadow posted:

That would be the 7 story house? Sounds good to me, must be better than what she's got now. I mean surely her parents have some affection for their grandchildren after all?

Her parents probably live in some village. It's her brother that would go back to the 7 story house if he were broke, not her sister-in-law.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh right I got mixed up there. Well can always hope the brother dies before any divorce.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
On the 7-story house thing.

My wife's family mostly live in Mengyin, which is a small town in Shandong. Last time we were there, we went to visit some aunt that had recently bought a house.

We get there and it was seriously the weirdest loving house I'd ever seen. It was I think 3 or 4 stories, and the floor plan of each story was exactly the same. The house looked insanely unfinished, so there were just like concrete floors and stairs. It felt sort of like they were living in a parking garage or something. Each floor had a big space with no doors that looked like it could be a living room–so my mental image of the house if it actually had furniture in it would be a living room on each floor. There was no furniture on any of the floors except the first one. I think they may have put some crappy table with wicker chairs on the second floor "living room," and I remember thinking that was also very weird. Like let's go upstairs to the empty concrete chamber and drink tea in the wicker chairs. I can't recall if there were actual rooms on any of the floors beyond the first one, but I sort of don't think there were? It sounds like I'm describing this really poorly, but it was more than five years ago and I don't remember very clearly. I just distinctly remember having this incredibly weird impression of this house, and not at all understanding why they'd buy it.

The most reasonable thing I can think of is that they were planning on finishing the rest and maybe renting out at least two of the other floors? Maybe they fully intended to put finishing on everything? I can also imagine that it's just going to be like that forever, and that they had x money and bought the most expensive thing they could get with the money they had, even if it made no sense and was 5 times larger than they actually needed, and even if they couldn't afford to finish it in any way.

edit:

Another weird house thing is that my in-laws have a nice apartment with marble floors and stuff. It's very modern looking and nicer feeling than a lot of apartments in the US in many ways. Of course it has a lovely Chinese bathroom where the whole bathroom is just the shower floor. They kept their old apartment though, and that's where the washing machine is. So if you want to do laundry you would walk across town and go to another apartment to use the weird USSR style washing machine from 1980 that barely worked. This is also where they'd go to slaughter live chickens.

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 29, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

angel opportunity posted:

My wife's family mostly live in Mengyin

so, two apartments, a parking garage/house, AND all the chickens you can slaughter?
Livin the dream...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Accretionist posted:

HOSTEL, TIGER LEAPING GORGE, YUNAN, CHINA:

That's cool as heck but what's the view look like without a telephoto lens from the end of the hall?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd really love to see some pictures of these 7 story houses, I can't imagine them. Even huge 10 million dollar mansions here are at most 3 stories. I imagine these are really tall narrow row-house type buildings and there's only a couple rooms on each floor or something? Is number of stories the only thing that matters regarding status, not the actual total square footage or quality of finishes?

7 stories is quite tall, that's well above a height people are comfortable walking up. In most european capitals with millions of people typical buildings are only 4-6 stories generally, why are people building 7 story houses in villages?? We're not even talking apartment blocks, just houses. How are they even structurally safe?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I asked my wife about the house and she said:

"In rural areas people build houses like that and don't decorate them like in urban areas. They pay people to build it, and if they already have the land they might as well build it taller with more stories."

She said they might use those extra empty stories to "store grain or vegetables."

Still makes no sense to me

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you count the basement and attic as stories then you only need 5 other floors. You could have a multi-tiered attic and knock that down to 4. Still, I don't completely get it.
Especially in a rural area where building out horizontally is probably going to be more practical. I'm posting from a 10 story office building (not counting A level floors)
and it cost a drat fortune to build.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd really love to see some pictures of these 7 story houses, I can't imagine them. Even huge 10 million dollar mansions here are at most 3 stories. I imagine these are really tall narrow row-house type buildings and there's only a couple rooms on each floor or something? Is number of stories the only thing that matters regarding status, not the actual total square footage or quality of finishes?

7 stories is quite tall, that's well above a height people are comfortable walking up. In most european capitals with millions of people typical buildings are only 4-6 stories generally, why are people building 7 story houses in villages?? We're not even talking apartment blocks, just houses. How are they even structurally safe?
Think rich, be rich. Posting from a 7 story house; can't hear you bitch.

There's a 7 story mud house from china picture on google images that I can't post right now but it should be here instead of this text.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 29, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My relatives in hubei have a 4 story house, and yeah its built thin and lightly decorated but ot was designed to have 11 bedrooms, 3 baths, and nothing else on purpose. The kitchen/dining space is a separate building about 40 feet away.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Bip Roberts posted:

That's cool as heck but what's the view look like without a telephoto lens from the end of the hall?

it doesn't look that telephoto,

like the wood on the bed frame is about 3x as many pixels tall on the edge of frame vs near the center. So the part of the bed at the edge of frame is 1/3 the distance from the lens as the end of the bed. so the lens is pretty close to the bed.

Like, the camera is 2 feet from the end of the bed or so

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 29, 2017

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Graduating in 2009 was great. Year and a half of unemployment. :buddy:

Same :negative:

If you have the time, start doing your Master's (in whatever) online. A guy on JET in my prefecture did his MA in TESOL through a uni back home 's distance course while in Japan.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I asked my wife about the house and she said:

"In rural areas people build houses like that and don't decorate them like in urban areas. They pay people to build it, and if they already have the land they might as well build it taller with more stories."

She said they might use those extra empty stories to "store grain or vegetables."

Still makes no sense to me
Why don't they just build pyramids to store grain instead?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ancient chinese building that was larger on the bottom than the top shows actually China invented pyramids, all other pyramid building cultures simply copied chinese design like most civilizations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Baronjutter posted:

Ancient chinese building that was larger on the bottom than the top shows actually China invented pyramids, all other pyramid building cultures simply copied chinese design like most civilizations.

Those rascaly Egyptian time travellers. Stole cats from the Internet too.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I checked the shittiest town near Shantou that still had baidu streetview, found a typical 5 story house at least

https://map.baidu.com/#panoid=09005...12131248049415I

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Same :negative:

If you have the time, start doing your Master's (in whatever) online. A guy on JET in my prefecture did his MA in TESOL through a uni back home 's distance course while in Japan.

That would imply having money rather than spending every dime on student loan repayment.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
gently caress Capitalism

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Khorne posted:

If you count the basement and attic as stories then you only need 5 other floors. You could have a multi-tiered attic and knock that down to 4. Still, I don't completely get it.

Ah, the 5-piece suit of houses.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

That would imply having money rather than spending every dime on student loan repayment.

you know, you don't technically have to pay those while employed outside the country...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You technically don’t have to pay those if you just never go back

Though fair warning a friend here in Taiwan did find out his loans got sold to a Chinese collection company, but when they called him he told them Taiwan was not China and hung up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ladron posted:

you know, you don't technically have to pay those while employed outside the country...

You clearly weren't poor enough. If you're genuinely poor, your family has to co-sign to get a student loan and they can go after them if you stop paying.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Though if you have cosigners, they might appreciate not getting screwed.

Grand Fromage posted:

You clearly weren't poor enough. If you're genuinely poor, your family has to co-sign to get a student loan and they can go after them if you stop paying.

Exactly. If you never come back to the US you never have to pay, but if it means your parents losing their home, you know.. maybe it's worth paying?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Believe me, they would not be getting the money otherwise. So fair enough that I had to get co-signers I guess, they were right.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Vesi posted:

I checked the shittiest town near Shantou that still had baidu streetview, found a typical 5 story house at least

https://map.baidu.com/#panoid=09005...12131248049415I

Hell yeah this town is perfect, I found a six-story house, hideous apartments and two cars facing each other just around the corner. Keep going to the left for more bamboo scaffolding and piles of bricks (construction or demolition???) https://j.map.baidu.com/lZdVN

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 30, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In Taiwan the multi-story houses at least make some sense. The first floor is usually some kind of shop, like a grocery, restaurant, or scooter repair, and the floors above that are for living. The houses are narrow so there's not much on each floor, usually a bedroom or two and a bathroom. Then the top floor is a cross between an unfinished basement and roof access, typically with the family shrine. Taller houses will in fact have elevators in them. But even then the largest I've seen was like 5 stories tall, which given the actual square footage and usage wasn't ridiculous.

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?

On the 7-story house thing.

My wife's family mostly live in Mengyin, which is a small town in Shandong. Last time we were there, we went to visit some aunt that had recently bought a house.

We get there and it was seriously the weirdest loving house I'd ever seen. It was I think 3 or 4 stories, and the floor plan of each story was exactly the same. The house looked insanely unfinished, so there were just like concrete floors and stairs. It felt sort of like they were living in a parking garage or something. Each floor had a big space with no doors that looked like it could be a living room–so my mental image of the house if it actually had furniture in it would be a living room on each floor. There was no furniture on any of the floors except the first one. I think they may have put some crappy table with wicker chairs on the second floor "living room," and I remember thinking that was also very weird. Like let's go upstairs to the empty concrete chamber and drink tea in the wicker chairs. I can't recall if there were actual rooms on any of the floors beyond the first one, but I sort of don't think there were? It sounds like I'm describing this really poorly, but it was more than five years ago and I don't remember very clearly. I just distinctly remember having this incredibly weird impression of this house, and not at all understanding why they'd buy it.

The most reasonable thing I can think of is that they were planning on finishing the rest and maybe renting out at least two of the other floors? Maybe they fully intended to put finishing on everything? I can also imagine that it's just going to be like that forever, and that they had x money and bought the most expensive thing they could get with the money they had, even if it made no sense and was 5 times larger than they actually needed, and even if they couldn't afford to finish it in any way.

edit:

Another weird house thing is that my in-laws have a nice apartment with marble floors and stuff. It's very modern looking and nicer feeling than a lot of apartments in the US in many ways. Of course it has a lovely Chinese bathroom where the whole bathroom is just the shower floor. They kept their old apartment though, and that's where the washing machine is. So if you want to do laundry you would walk across town and go to another apartment to use the weird USSR style washing machine from 1980 that barely worked. This is also where they'd go to slaughter live chickens.

The tall unfinished houses are because if the government decides to tear down their house, they'd be reimbursed by the square footage of their building. More footage = more reimbursement, so it's a way to get more money out of the government. The term is 加盖 (jiāgài), Google provides many pictures of it if you search that up.

http://news.sohu.com/20141107/n405853237.shtml for those who can read Chinese.

Orkiec fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 30, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

ward of court, lucky me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, my wifes parents lived in a lovely horrible run down old house for years because they were waiting for it to get knocked down for the compensation. It was a 5 or 6 storey place (I'm not sure never went above the 2nd floor since it was empty above that). It had no running water except for one random tap, so you'd have to go fill a bucket up to flush the toilet and use a wood burning stove to heat water. All the rooms were massive and they had one heater for the whole place (it's Northern China so was always loving freezing). They also had another house exactly the same round the corner where they lived before they bought this one, they just used it to store firewood. My wife took me to see it and show me her room where she grew up and it was the first time someone had been in there for about 25 years, it was like the set of a horror movie. Then a couple of years back they built her brother a house in the neighbourhood. They knew it was being knocked down soon they built it in a way to maximise compensation so it was a weird place, the living room could easily have fit a full sized basketball court in it but just had a sofa and tiny TV.

It all got knocked down recently so they all live in nice places now. The dad used to be quite high up in the party and was a property developer so managed to get a pretty good deal, I'm not sure how much but it was in the tens of millions and when they rebuild the place he will get 4 apartments and all his kids also get an apartment.

• Locked thread