Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just tell the editor that your OC who works for red skull and hates mutants that the 1488 at the end of their name is hail hydra not heil hitler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hitler, noted aficionado of bare midriffs, alternative lifestyle advocacy, and killer bees.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hitler loves killer bees

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm just glad Spider-Gwen isn't cancelled. :shobon:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/alexdecampi/status/946554968504438798

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm in the middle of reading Hickman's Avengers run, since I was one of the few people that didn't like it at first. Giving it a second go, and... I still don't like it, so far, though I'm only up to the start of Infinity. I just feel like he does a lot of good mythologizing and world-building, but skimps heavily on the characterization and relies a lot on plot devices over the actual actions of characters. When I realized that the first two stories are pretty much resolved with "the villains mostly just roll over because Captain Universe says hi", that helped me really click on why I'm not digging it.

Sometimes when he slows down and does single-issue stories that aren't as big of a deal to the overall arc, I feel like he does better, but they feel like just moments in a monolithic and glacial run.

His Avengers May start out like that but once you get past Infinity I feel it improves. Separetly the Illuminati is all character driven for the other Avengers book

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Someone should just submit the last page of Marvel Boy, where the Extermanatrix is shooting up Disney World.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, let's not pretend these restrictions were written by anybody who cares about or reads comics.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Are these restrictions just for people making comics with their dumb Make Your Own Comics platform that no one will use, or are they trying to like, police fan art

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alex is awesome

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is this app a kids thing?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Roth posted:

Is this app comics a kids thing?

These rules do seem very "child friendly".

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The app hasn't launched yet but apparently the company with the license (TapTap Comics) to make this is a Chinese-based company which probably explains a lot of the restrictions. It doesn't excuse Marvel from partnering with the company or rolling this out so half-assedly, though.

Also yeah, on one hand this is a dumb move and a bad look, on the other hand the odds of a single person working on the comics Marvel produces and sells had anything at all to do with this are miniscule, and dunking is fun but this is like making GBS threads on Rian Johnson for the Stormtrooper AR photo filter or whatever the gently caress on Verizon phones.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually would be interested in reading a comic that follows every restriction presented.

Because that poo poo would be hard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The fully-clothed and only mildly-annoyed Hulk decides to use his non-descriptive phone to purchase tickets to Disneyland. The shocking plot twist is that he gets a call from his cousin, who will drop by later.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Frank castle catches bullies stealing candy from a younger kid and sprays them down with a hose, then lectures them on respect

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Edge & Christian posted:

The app hasn't launched yet but apparently the company with the license (TapTap Comics) to make this is a Chinese-based company which probably explains a lot of the restrictions. It doesn't excuse Marvel from partnering with the company or rolling this out so half-assedly, though.

Also yeah, on one hand this is a dumb move and a bad look, on the other hand the odds of a single person working on the comics Marvel produces and sells had anything at all to do with this are miniscule, and dunking is fun but this is like making GBS threads on Rian Johnson for the Stormtrooper AR photo filter or whatever the gently caress on Verizon phones.

Is anyone making GBS threads on the artists and all? Everyone I follow is making GBS threads on Marvel the company.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is anyone else really liking Punisher: The Platoon? I feel like this is pretty good Ennis.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

wiegieman posted:

Is anyone else really liking Punisher: The Platoon? I feel like this is pretty good Ennis.

Yeah it's really good, not really a punisher book but a good war series. It's amazing what ennis can do when he's not on his usual bullshit

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually would be interested in reading a comic that follows every restriction presented.

Try some Silver Age DC Comics.

Not all of them would match up, but some of them probably would, thanks to the Comic Book Code.

Early Marvel comics pushed the envelope a little more, though not profoundly so.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Not all of them would match up, but some of them probably would, thanks to the Comic Book Code.

Early Marvel comics pushed the envelope a little more, though not profoundly so.

The restrictions for the app are much stricter than the code was

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Lmao no it wouldnt. Everything was sensationalized.

Edit: every silver age comic is bonkers in some way.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

The restrictions for the app are much stricter than the code was

Yes and no. They're different rules.

As for "sensationalism", that's hard to say, since they deliberately don't define it so they can use it as a vague shutdown excuse.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I'm pretty sure Silver Age comics still had, like, people with guns and stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes and no. They're different rules.

As for "sensationalism", that's hard to say, since they deliberately don't define it so they can use it as a vague shutdown excuse.

No more world's greatest comics magazine on the cover

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I said "some Silver Age DC", if we're going to make this a pedantic back-and-forth. Not sure what the point of doing so is, other than internet tradition, but if you want me to just say you're right-

Okay, you're right, I'll drop it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Silver Age comics still had, like, people with guns and stuff.

Yeah it's like the code and the restrictions from the Spider man cartoon had a baby.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is this like Storybook Weaver

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The fully-clothed and only mildly-annoyed Hulk

Peter David beat you to it a long time ago.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Following the Kamandi Challenge at DC, Marvel introduces the Comics Code Hard Mode Challenge! Each issue a new writer and artist team up to write the tamest superhero action ever produced by man!

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

TwoPair posted:

Following the Kamandi Challenge at DC, Marvel introduces the Comics Code Hard Mode Challenge! Each issue a new writer and artist team up to write the tamest superhero action ever produced by man!

So, a Hostess Fruit Pie ad?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I can't back this up but I am sure those ads broke numerous rules as they are presented in that article.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
they cant cancel she hulk!!! You will regret this!!!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Will marvel not like you, when you're angry

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So has anyone filtered down what you can actually write about?

Dr. Doom taking Valeria to get ice cream? Thing and Cap going to poker night?

I'd rather read a run of one-and-dones like these than most of the other stuff Marvel's been doing lately.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would be curious to see how Valeria reacts to nicer doom.

Shed probably think he sucks

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Lovechop posted:

they cant cancel she hulk!!! You will regret this!!!!

Does the list change every time I look at it or am I just really bad at reading lists? This run of She Hulk has been one of the comics I instantly put to the top of my queue when it comes out. Amadeus Hulk meanwhile is more interesting in every title other than his own. Never read America and heard it was bad, and Cage and Iceman weren't doing anything for me, but man I'm really disappointed to see the other titles go. Yeah, including Gen X! That title shoulda picked up the pace a bit and got to the confrontation with Monet like three issues ago. I bet it hemmorhages readers every month as ir draws its story out.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

site posted:

I would be curious to see how Valeria reacts to nicer doom.

Shed probably think he sucks

The funny thing about Doom is that I don't really see where the core elements of his character have changed overmuch. He wants to make the world a better place, forcefully, and he's arrogant enough to think that 'his way or the highway' is a valid direction to roll. The SHOCKING thing about it all is that he's demonstrated learning capabilities in that, in the aftermath of cocking up being Literally God, he decided maybe the super-villain gig was a bad career decision.

The only thing that's changed is who/what is on the receiving end of the Full Doom Experience.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Doom, like Luthor at DC, is much better in this take on the character and would be more interesting if they ran with it longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gearhead posted:

The funny thing about Doom is that I don't really see where the core elements of his character have changed overmuch. He wants to make the world a better place, forcefully, and he's arrogant enough to think that 'his way or the highway' is a valid direction to roll. The SHOCKING thing about it all is that he's demonstrated learning capabilities in that, in the aftermath of cocking up being Literally God, he decided maybe the super-villain gig was a bad career decision.

The only thing that's changed is who/what is on the receiving end of the Full Doom Experience.

I dunno if I buy into old doom ever really believing in making the world a better place, rather he wants the world to be his place

But what I mean is that Valeria has been (from what I've read with her) one foot into super villainy for a while and definitely prefers old dooms way of forcing her will on everyone even if that means genocide (which is why she liked old doom so much she'd rather go live with him) so she'd probably look at new doom as taking the cowards way out or something

• Locked thread