Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ehud posted:

https://twitter.com/pff_steve/status/946777801167863808

these are the men making decisions about our football teams

NFL Draft Thread: Weak immune system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

Speaking as someone who has a weak rear end immune system I believe this evaluation

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

The Glumslinger posted:

NFL Draft Thread: Weak immune system

Good way of avoiding the Browns and Bears .

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Ehud posted:

Obviously, all this Baker Mayfield bravado has been compensating for something else. Now we know what it is.

Also..

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattSBN/status/946782042691440640?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

That Bulbasaur one is a legitimate flaw. :colbert:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Mayfield is a man who plans ahead and has the foresight to pick the starter that has an advantage vs the first 3 gyms.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The three starting Pokemon were the difficulty levels of the original Pokemon. Bulbasaur matched up well against the first few gym leaders and then by the time you were in the middle of the game you had other Pokemon to fight with outside of your starter. Squirtle is medium since he's good against Brock and just okay against Mistie, and then of course Charmander gets rocked by Mistie and is thus the hardest initial difficulty.

I don't want a QB that takes the easy way out.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Hypothetically, if there was a player in the draft who could kick 70 yard field goals with 100% accuracy, and all lesser ranges at 100%, would you draft him #1 overall? Unless you turn the ball over you score on nearly every drive.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bigass Moth posted:

Hypothetically, if there was a player in the draft who could kick 70 yard field goals with 100% accuracy, and all lesser ranges at 100%, would you draft him #1 overall? Unless you turn the ball over you score on nearly every drive.

This question comes up every year and yes, yes you'd draft him #1 overall.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Of course you would. Then you'd go all out on returners and special teams to get you in his range as often as possible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm more interested in the punter who perfectly punts the ball out of bounds at the one from 65 yards away and in.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Grittybeard posted:

I'm more interested in the punter who perfectly punts the ball out of bounds at the one from 65 yards away and in.

I miss Mike Scifres too

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

Literally thought of this like a month ago. So you are going to score from the opponents 47 yard line. Take the touchback and you only need 22 yards. Invest in a good running game, and an elite defense and I think you could go somewhere.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Michael Corleone posted:

Literally thought of this like a month ago. So you are going to score from the opponents 47 yard line. Take the touchback and you only need 22 yards. Invest in a good running game, and an elite defense and I think you could go somewhere.

You just described the Ravens

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

You just described the Ravens

I was just thinking about the Browns because we will never get a good QB no matter what. Also, not to talk FF, but that kicker would likely be the number one fantasy pick too because long FG's are worth 5 points, he would be the most consistent scorer, maybe only a QB in a 6 PT Passing TD league would be worth more.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So basically the Browns and Phil Dawson where he's the leader in points scored over a decade and the only one who could put any points on the board at all for like a 5 year stretch.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Has anybody watched games on Quenton Nelson? Supposed to be the best OG prospect. How does he rank up against past OG prospects?

How steep is the fall after him?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gatts posted:

So basically the Browns and Phil Dawson where he's the leader in points scored over a decade and the only one who could put any points on the board at all for like a 5 year stretch.

And yet they still won 4 or 5 games a year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Has anybody watched games on Quenton Nelson? Supposed to be the best OG prospect. How does he rank up against past OG prospects?

How steep is the fall after him?

Absolutely tremendous run blocker. Decent enough pass blocker. Kelly liked using pin down blocks to hide blocking schemes with him and McGlinchey. They're both drive blockers and Nelson is superbly athletic which means he pulls a lot for the Irish, so basically he pass blocks by trying to drive and pin his guy into the center or tackle. That would either open up a lane for Winbush or give Kizer extra time last year. A lot of teams ask their guards to stand up and fight to maintain pockets since run first QBs are less common in the NFL, so he might be more of a zone blocker at the next level. He's absurdly strong and quick, plus he has super long arms for a guard, but he doesn't like to let his guy move once he starts driving so he might get a bunch of holds til he acclimates.

In terms of sheer athleticism he's one of the best to come out in years. David DeCastro or Mike Pouncey were probably the last huge first round class interior linemen to come out. Warmack and Martin were both draft darlings too but they were never as big as Nelson. If you offered me DeCastro or Nelson coming out I'd have to think for a long while. Nelson is just super intriguing just because the sky's the limit for him. He's gigantic, quick, and has a really cool wrestling stance he comes out of when he's picking up blockers. I like him.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I wouldn't get too excited from what he posts. He's like 13 years old and his dad is a beat writer for the Bucs so he tends to think he knows more than he does.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/PFF_Steve/status/946777801167863808

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm calling that as a false flag.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I didn't get to watch the Cotton Bowl. How did Darnold look?

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

schweens posted:

Like he should stay in school another year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

schweens posted:

Nearly undraftable.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Nearly undraftable.

This here article says he put up a ton of yardage with the offense - what was so bad about him? Just the picks?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

schweens posted:

He looked decent enough, Ohio State's defense was just swarming. He threw a really bad pick six when he failed to read a FS dropping into shallow coverage. His offensive line was good enough in pass protection but he gave up two costly fumbles on the strip sacks.

Basically he looked good throwing but didn't win the game for them, if that makes sense. Not exactly a terrible performance and not one that'll sink him, but not something you want to see when A QB prospect is up against a really good defense.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

Yeah I only saw the stat line and figured it wasn't his best game. I was mostly curious if he performed bad enough to fall clearly below Rosen.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Someone is going to get a superstar punter in Michael Dickson. Former aussie rules guy turned longhorn who just had the most dominant bowl game punting performance ever basically. Ray guy award winner as well

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Haven't seen a QB's stock from a bowl game fall so far since Shane Falco's sugar bowl performance.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

schweens posted:

Yeah I only saw the stat line and figured it wasn't his best game. I was mostly curious if he performed bad enough to fall clearly below Rosen.

He's already clearly below Rosen. Rosen is real, real good. I also consider Lamar Jackson a way better prospect than Darnold and as I type this he just threw his third interception so whatever idc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

He's already clearly below Rosen. Rosen is real, real good. I also consider Lamar Jackson a way better prospect than Darnold and as I type this he just threw his third interception so whatever idc

tbf that last one was a massive gently caress up by his receiver

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alaois posted:

tbf that last one was a massive gently caress up by his receiver

I'll never understand why receivers duck and pull their hands down if the balls too high, even on crossing routes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

4 picks for Lamar now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't even know why Lamar is playing in this game but at least his rushing numbers are insane as usual.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

Doltos posted:

I agree with you on both counts(even with Lamar's 4 INTs). I was referring more to the consensus among draft experts.

Rosen is QB1 for sure imo. Looking forward to watching Mayfield on Monday

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
What's with the Mayfield/Manziel comparisons? Baker's only transgressions are saying gently caress you to some players who wouldn't shake his hand and celebrating a win by planting a flag on his opponent's field, right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

What's with the Mayfield/Manziel comparisons? Baker's only transgressions are saying gently caress you to some players who wouldn't shake his hand and celebrating a win by planting a flag on his opponent's field, right?

He got arrested and slammed to the ground trying to run from the cops on a drunk and disorderly sometime last off season, but I think that's about it. So he's done some on field things with more swagger than some people prefer and got drunk and in trouble, but I don't think there's a string of partying pictures out there and to my knowledge he hasn't yet abused his girlfriend (of course Johnny hadn't either by the draft).

He's also a little undersized, known to freelance and has won a Heisman I guess, but the on-field comparisons are a stretch. Baker's got a better arm--although not elite it's plenty good enough--and though OU has more talent than most people they play I don't see a Mike Evans on that team bailing Mayfield out whenever he throws a jump ball.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 31, 2017

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Okay. At least he has some, typical college, off field event for people to point at. With the on-field character complaints alone it sounded like old men furious at the fact that some football player in his 20s isn't a robot.

Am I wrong in thinking this is the best QB class since 2012? Even if Darnold is a bust Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson seem like they all have legitimate shots at being franchise QBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Okay. At least he has some, typical college, off field event for people to point at. With the on-field character complaints alone it sounded like old men furious at the fact that some football player in his 20s isn't a robot.

Am I wrong in thinking this is the best QB class since 2012? Even if Darnold is a bust Mayfield, Rosen, and Jackson seem like they all have legitimate shots at being franchise QBs.

It's a weird, intriguing class. Jackson and Mayfield are both unconventional prospects. We have no idea where they'll be drafted. They could both be gone by 12 or both hang around until the early second round and I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I think when the combine rolls around and we see the measurables, everyone is going to fall in love with Jackson (he will test off the charts) and a worry about Mayfield (small hands, won't blow anyone away with his times).

• Locked thread