Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

What's the cut like? The photos on their website look super baggy. The prion pants look a bit more slim fit and use the same material.

They have a pretty relaxed fit and are wide at the ankles compared to most other hiking pants. But outside of deep snow I actually prefer this since I don't need to make a pant-gaiter and the breathability is better this way. I've worn them with boots and crampons before and didn't have any issues snagging the pants on crampon points, so I don't think they can be described as that baggy, just definitely not a slim cut. The waist cinch thing actually loving works, too, unlike the one on the 3x more expensive patagonia simul pants... The stretch and flexibility of these pants are much better than other softshell pants that I've tried. If you prefer a slim fit, the brions are indeed basically the same thing as the zions but with a slimmer cut (I havent tried them though).

The material is similar to most nylon soft shell pants...my first pair lasted about 2-3 years (with some minor stitching up here and there) before they finally started falling apart at the hem. Even then, if I had been a more diligent at repairing a small tear that occurred during a week long trip, they would probably still be in service. I don't hike through that much brush or vegetation, but a lot of scree, talus, and rock scrambling. The abrasion resistance is good. Overall I have found the durability of these pants to be the same as other (more expensive...) softshell pants of a similar weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have convertable Prana Zion pants that are great for hiking but are getting kind of baggier and blown out. That's after 3-4 years of very regular use. I bought a pair of Brion pants and I love them. Everyone compliments my bum while hiking. They fit well over my hiking boots. I basically wear them every day that I'm not working. They are quite thin, but I'll wear long underwear if it's cold out underneath. I'm going to buy a couple more pairs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thought I'd share this over here real quick:

https://www.vipon.com/instant-deal/index?group=Sports+%26+Outdoors

It's how those cheap and often lovely chinese goods get tons of five star ratings on Amazon. Manufacturers offer steep coupons to incentivize people to buy and review the latest from Shenzhen province. Sometimes they even screw up and offer duplicate discounts and you can get 80$ work of microfiber camp towels for free on Amazon (can confirm that worked).

One of the guys I backpack with has bought full nylon tarps and hammocks for 4$ apiece, and if you need some cheap gear and even packs, it's not the worst option, especially if you're just trying to get someone started on the cheap.

Most stuff I'd rather buy from cottage vendors, but certain stuff there is the exact same as what you'd find at REI, so just FYI.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I tried the Brions on recently and found the top half fairly slim, and the bottom half ridiculously baggy.

I'm a short, stocky guy with big honkin bicyclist thighs and it's really hard for me to find good pants. These are from heaven though, they fit and don't look like poo poo! (I think?)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Anyone have any recommendations for a light, 100% polyester fleece or fleece-ish glove, with some kind of grip material/coating on the palm and fingers, but not a full leather/synthetic palm, with a thickness similar to 100wt polartec, i.e. maybe one-notch above light glove liners but not that much more?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I was tooling around massdrop and came across the OR Versaliner which seems along the lines of what you're looking for. I don't have experience with that but the OR stuff I have tried/bought is pretty solid, and these ones are on sale for $35.

quote:

Featuring a water-resistant finish and anti-slip silicone pads on the fingers and palms, the Outdoor Research Versaliner gloves are ideal for wet-weather backpacking trips and snowy expeditions. Made from 40d ripstop nylon, they come with a removable Pertex Shield shell that blocks wind and rain. The 100-weight fleece lining provides insulation, while the polyester VersaLiner keeps your hands dry. The gloves also feature a zippered pocket for shell storage, tapered wrists that trap interior heat, and pull-on loops.

Weight, men’s L: 2.8 oz (79 g)

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I tend to get cold hands, and I've really been digging these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYM3WCS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1SOTDJTJP47K3&colid=A4I8QFZNOV2F&psc=0

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend me a good lightweight tent that uses trekking poles for support?

I normally hammock camp 99% of the time, but I'll be going out to the Grand Canyon here in a few months so I was wondering if there was anything decent tent wise that would be <2-3 pounds. I've currently got a bivy that's 14 ounces, but I suspect a tent wouldn't be all that much more in terms of weight.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good lightweight tent that uses trekking poles for support?

I normally hammock camp 99% of the time, but I'll be going out to the Grand Canyon here in a few months so I was wondering if there was anything decent tent wise that would be <2-3 pounds. I've currently got a bivy that's 14 ounces, but I suspect a tent wouldn't be all that much more in terms of weight.

I can recommend a few. Are you looking for a 1 or 2 person shelter, single or double walled, and single or double trekking pole supported?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

khysanth posted:

I can recommend a few. Are you looking for a 1 or 2 person shelter, single or double walled, and single or double trekking pole supported?

Ideally I was looking for something along the lines of the Zpacks Duplex tarp shelter. I'm 6'4", and I'd like to believe that someday my girlfriend will join me on a trip, so my thought was to get something theoretically capable of accommodating two people, or at least one tall person because realistically I'd probably get her a hammock setup so I guess that's a moot point to look for in a tent.

I just want something with a bugnet connected to a bathtub floor, and rainfly. I almost always have two trekking poles, so one or two pole supported is perfect.

I'm just curious what the favorite stuff is out there in terms of tents in 2017.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ideally I was looking for something along the lines of the Zpacks Duplex tarp shelter. I'm 6'4", and I'd like to believe that someday my girlfriend will join me on a trip, so my thought was to get something theoretically capable of accommodating two people, or at least one tall person because realistically I'd probably get her a hammock setup so I guess that's a moot point to look for in a tent.

I just want something with a bugnet connected to a bathtub floor, and rainfly. I almost always have two trekking poles, so one or two pole supported is perfect.

I'm just curious what the favorite stuff is out there in terms of tents in 2017.

The Duplex is the darling of 2017 but you pay a huge premium for the Zpacks brand and for the fabric (DCF/Cuben). Unfortunately there aren't a ton of comparable 2P, single-walled, trekking pole supported shelters. The Duplex will set you back $600 before tax and ultimately weighs in around 23-25oz after you factor in guylines and stakes.

The best alternative (and the one I would likely get) is the Gossamer Gear The Two. The bathtub floor is a 10D silnylon and the tarp is a 7D. This tent (and The One) have survived many people's thru-hikes without durability issues. $289 and 29-31oz total. The deep bathtub and the angle of the walls at the head/foot mean you'd probably find it comfortable at 6'4".

If you like to calculate it, it's about $30/oz saved to opt for the Duplex... on the really high end for most people.

Another option I would consider is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer. On sale until 12/31 for $260 (reg. $325). It's a little heavier than the others at 41oz, but is generally regarded as one of the roomiest shelters for 2P and a palace for one tall hiker.

One more option is the TarpTent MoTrail. This is a front-entry shelter however, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Costs $259 and weighs in at 34oz. You'd have plenty of room with the vertical end walls.

Personally I'm 6'3" and went with the SMD Haven Tarp and NetTent combo. I prefer the modularity and breathability of a double-walled shelter. I can just bring the tarp or the net depending on weather and bug pressure. The tarp alone comes in around 19oz, and the net 15oz. I feel like it is a good fit for me at 6'3". On my sleeping pad, when I lie down or sit up, the tips of my hair BARELY brush the net, which means I still have another ~4-6" of clearance to the tarp. Plenty of room for me and my wife, and a TON of room if I'm solo. Here are some pics of it set up.

If you can get away with a 1P shelter and a hammock if your GF ever joins, I'd look at the other single-walled 1P shelters from these same manufacturers:

Gossamer Gear The One (2x trekking pole supported, 21oz, $299)
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (1x trekking pole supported, 24oz, $180 til 12/31)
TarpTent ProTrail (2x trekking pole supported, front entry, 26oz, $225)

I don't consider the Zpacks Hexamid Solo (even the plus version) because I know several 6'3"+ hikers who say it is too cramped, your head will brush against the (potentially wet with condensation) tarp, it could get on your sleeping bag, etc.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 29, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

khysanth posted:

The Duplex is the darling of 2017 but you pay a huge premium for the Zpacks brand and for the fabric (DCF/Cuben). Unfortunately there aren't a ton of comparable 2P, single-walled, trekking pole supported shelters. The Duplex will set you back $600 before tax and ultimately weighs in around 23-25oz after you factor in guylines and stakes.

The best alternative (and the one I would likely get) is the Gossamer Gear The Two. The bathtub floor is a 10D silnylon and the tarp is a 7D. This tent (and The One) have survived many people's thru-hikes without durability issues. $289 and 29-31oz total. The deep bathtub and the angle of the walls at the head/foot mean you'd probably find it comfortable at 6'4".

If you like to calculate it, it's about $30/oz saved to opt for the Duplex... on the really high end for most people.

Another option I would consider is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Explorer. On sale until 12/31 for $260 (reg. $325). It's a little heavier than the others at 41oz, but is generally regarded as one of the roomiest shelters for 2P and a palace for one tall hiker.

One more option is the TarpTent MoTrail. This is a front-entry shelter however, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Costs $259 and weighs in at 34oz. You'd have plenty of room with the vertical end walls.

Personally I'm 6'3" and went with the SMD Haven Tarp and NetTent combo. I prefer the modularity and breathability of a double-walled shelter. I can just bring the tarp or the net depending on weather and bug pressure. The tarp alone comes in around 19oz, and the net 15oz. I feel like it is a good fit for me at 6'3". On my sleeping pad, when I lie down or sit up, the tips of my hair BARELY brush the net, which means I still have another ~4-6" of clearance to the tarp. Plenty of room for me and my wife, and a TON of room if I'm solo. Here are some pics of it set up.

If you can get away with a 1P shelter and a hammock if your GF ever joins, I'd look at the other single-walled 1P shelters from these same manufacturers:

Gossamer Gear The One (2x trekking pole supported, 21oz, $299)
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (1x trekking pole supported, 24oz, $180 til 12/31)
TarpTent ProTrail (2x trekking pole supported, front entry, 26oz, $225)

I don't consider the Zpacks Hexamid Solo (even the plus version) because I know several 6'3"+ hikers who say it is too cramped, your head will brush against the (potentially wet with condensation) tarp, it could get on your sleeping bag, etc.

Holy crap, this is awesome information... Thank you! I'm really digging that gossamer gear the two... and honestly a few extra ounces is well worth the trade-off of being half the cost. Plus I love that I don't have to figure out how to pack fragile and bulky tent poles, that everything just crams into a bag.

That's exactly what I was looking for--thanks!

I'm going to quote that in the OP, if you don't mind

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Question about winter gloves... I'm looking for a good all-in-one compromise for backpacking.

I've got these Kinco Ski Gloves, which are freaking amazing for deep winter, but they're not very dextrous and they are too hot when you're really moving.

Mechanics gloves are great down to freezing, but still not dextrous enough for hammock stuff, so I found some alpaca fingerless gloves which are perfect, but aren't very durable, or warm enough on the bare fingers for below freezing.

I think I want some glittens for a good all in one solution, so I can still have warm gloves, but the ability to unzip and manipulate stuff when needed without having to change or take off the gloves. Can anyone give me some recommendations for winter backpacking gloves?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 4, 2018

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

OSU_Matthew posted:

Question about winter gloves... I'm looking for a good all-in-one compromise for backpacking.

I've got these Kinco Ski Gloves, which are freaking amazing for deep winter, but they're not very dextrous and they are too hot when you're really moving.

Mechanics gloves are great down to freezing, but still not dextrous enough for hammock stuff, so I found some alpaca fingerless gloves which are perfect, but aren't very durable, or warm enough on the bare fingers for below freezing.

I think I want some glittens for a good all in one solution, so I can still have warm gloves, but the ability to unzip and manipulate stuff when needed without having to change or take off the gloves. Can anyone give me some recommendations for winter backpacking gloves?

I think the solution is a layering system and it would be hard to find an all-in-one glove for 4 seasons.

Thin wool liner gloves for temps around 50. If there is going to be a lot of precipitation, a lightweight VBL (vapor barrier liner) type of glove should be used on top of that (even a thin plastic food handling glove). If temps are consistently going to be below 40, then you throw an insulated glove (or mitten) on top of it all.

More tent chat that you can add to the OP if you want, specifically covering the double-walled trekking pole supported (non-freestanding) options:

Double-walled shelters will weigh more than a single/hybrid-walled shelter, but you and your gear are far less likely to come into contact with condensation, and it is much less likely to form at all because of the better ventilation inherent in double-walled designs. You can also just bring the tarp, or just the bug net, depending on the weather and bug pressure where you'll be hiking. People who live and hike in humid areas should especially consider these.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, for a two person shelter I went with the SMD Haven Tarp and NetTent combo. Weighs about 36oz, two doors, two vestibules, sets up with two trekking poles, and costs about $350.

The one person alternative from SMD is the Deschutes Tarp and Serenity NetTent. Weighs 24oz, one door, one vestibule, sets up with one trekking pole, and costs about $300.

TarpTent has a few offerings. The two person Saddle 2 weighs 37oz, has two doors, two vestibules, and requires four poles to set up. If you are with a partner and you both use poles, you're all covered. If you're solo, you'll need to purchase the additional short poles from TarpTent. $329 without poles.

The one person equivalent is the Notch which thankfully only requires two poles to set up, unlike its big brother. Two doors, two vestibules, 27oz, and $285 make this a really attractive double-walled shelter for a solo hiker.

For even more space, and for bombproof weather resistance, look at the two-person Stratospire 2 and the one person Stratospire 1. They weigh and cost more than the other two options, but they are spacious and hold up in all four seasons.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 4, 2018

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How do you guys like the Patagonia Rainshadow as a rain jacket for around town, hikes and some light backpacking? I received one as a gift but could exchange it for something else. It's light, packable and seems like it'll fill the gap between my 3L gore hard shell (mostly used for skiing but too bulky for everyday use in coastal California weather) and super light windbreaker that has DWR but no waterproof membrane. My main concern would be durability due to the lightness of the fabric, but the patagucci warranty makes that less of an issue.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Fyi, Costco has exofficio boxer brief 3 packs for $11. They usually run 15-25 per pair.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

There is always going to be a compromise between dexterity and warmth. If dexerity is really important, a medium weight synthetically insulated glove is imo your best bet in terms of being at the limit of warmth where you can still do stuff with your fingers without wanting to just pull the gloves off. If temperatures are not too far below freezing, these are warm enough to use by themselves or over a thin liner. But in really cold temps you are always gonna want some kind of glove/heavy glove or glove/mitt system since there is simply no way to be both dexterous enough and warm enough at the same time. In those cases, a medium weight synthetic glove and a warm mitt that is easy to take on and off (and with a fixed or well fastened liner that doesnt come out when you pull the mitts off) are a good combo. Personally I don't like outer mitts with flaps or openings since these are always less warm and less weather sealed, and the only reason to have such a mitt in the first place is as the last lnie of defense against frozen fingers.

BD Kingpin or Punisher (lol), Marmot Alpinist, Mountain Hardware Torsion, Outdoor Research Extravert, Patagonia White Smoke, or Montane Prism all occupy what I would consider to be the sweet spot for a cold weather glove where dexterity is important. I find that gloves much heavier than this, like the BD Guilde or Marmot Randonee, become sufficiently bulky and awkward that I end up taking them off whenever I need to do anything requiring fingers and thumbs, in which case they are no better than mitts. These gloves are warm enough to wear alone when active down to modestly subfreezing temperatures, and good enough in brutal cold to at least keep your fingers from freezing when you take mitts off for a few minutes to do dextrousy stuff.

For backpacking specifically, I really like the Montane Prism. They aren't as tough as some of the models with leather palms, and they aren't super waterproof (no goretex liner, just pertex + DWR shell), but they are extremely dexterous and very warm for their weight. Also, in general, waterproof membranes in gloves don't really do their job well in my experience, but do make it much harder to dry gloves in your sleeping bag overnight. These are dexterous enough that I can tie/untie knots in guylines or laces, fiddle with carabiners, or even open the goddamn stupid loving battery door thingy on my camera without needing to take these gloves off.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Morbus posted:

Words about gloves ...

... , Outdoor Research Extravert, ...

I wear these when I go ice climbing, while I am actively climbing. While belaying or otherwise not moving much I shove them inside my coat to keep them warm and put on Kinco 901T mitts.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

In advance of spring, I need help with pants. Last year I got by hiking in lightweight, stretchy jeans, and it was adequate but not super confortable and the jeans did not survive the season.

My use case is day hikes and short trips in the hills of western PA; most of my day hikes are mushrooming or hunting invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians so ideally I'd like something breathable with reinforced knees that wont' immediately soak through when I'm down on the ground.

What should I be looking at?

Edit: Pants or leggings tbh, whatever.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 16, 2018

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Fjallraven Kebs are the best pants and hit all your requirements. They even have pockets built into the knees for pads.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

the yeti posted:

In advance of spring, I need help with pants. Last year I got by hiking in lightweight, stretchy jeans, and it was adequate but not super confortable and the jeans did not survive the season.

My use case is day hikes and short trips in the hills of western PA; most of my day hikes are mushrooming or hunting invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians so ideally I'd like something breathable with reinforced knees that wont' immediately soak through when I'm down on the ground.

What should I be looking at?

Edit: Pants or leggings tbh, whatever.

Mainly, I'd avoid jeans altogether. Denim is made from cotton, which absorbs water and isn't very good for any high activity stuff where you'll be sweating or getting wet. Cotton apparel doesn't dry out, so you rash in the summer and go hypothermic when the temperature dips.

You want something that'll wick water, which would be some sort of artificial fiber (like nylon, polypropylene, or spandex), or to a lesser degree wool. Wool doesn't get as smelly as artificial fiber, so it's great for t-shirts and socks.

My recommendation for hiking pants is to check out Academy Sports. I really love their Magellan line (especially the shirts):

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors%E2%84%A2-mens-back-country-zipoff-nylon-pant#repChildCatid=3810525

It's probably the cheapest I've found, and there is not really a substantial difference in very expensive hiking pants like Prana vs these. The materials are 99.9% the same, but maybe they'll have different pockets and features, or a special blend of spandex and nylon to make them more stretchy/comfortable. Prana pants are essentially stretchier fabric, but they'll perform the same.

These would be the same as the Prana:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-laguna-madre-pant#repChildCatid=4154829

Unfortunately they'll soak through, but they'll dry in minutes, unlike jeans. They'll also be very comfortable and breathable.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

If you are just doing short hikes and hillwalking below the treeline, those kebs pants might be overkill...Also G-1000 fabric, while loving bombproof, is designed with their greenland wax treatment in mind. If you don't wax it, it's 35% cotton and will hold quite a bit more moisture and take longer to dry than regular synthetic softshell materials. If you do wax it, that + the already pretty dense weave will make it not that breathable compared to more conventional synthetic materials. It's a very tough fabric that has a good balance of wind/water resistance, and breathability, but if you aren't going to be bashing around on rocks all day up a mountain or doing serious bushwhacking there are lighter, more breathable, and cheaper options. For durability, though, the G-1000 stuff is hard to beat.

If you are spending most of your time in relatively humid, wooded environments that aren't that cold, and want knee reinforcement just to keep dry and not because of high abrasion or bushwhacking through thorn fields, a relatively light nylon softshell type pant with some reinforced knees might serve you well. Marmot Pillar and Montane Terra are some examples.

Any pair of pants that looks great on paper may fit you like poo poo, though. Honestly I'd just try to find a light softshell hiking pant for < $100 that fits you well and feels comfortable...if it has reinforced knees great, if not you can put cordura knee patches for like $6. Also, compared to the jeans you have been using, you might find that a reasonably water resistant softshell pant just doesn't absorb enough moisture for it to be an issue when kneeling down.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Morbus posted:

If you are just doing short hikes and hillwalking below the treeline, those kebs pants might be overkill...Also G-1000 fabric, while loving bombproof, is designed with their greenland wax treatment in mind. If you don't wax it, it's 35% cotton and will hold quite a bit more moisture and take longer to dry than regular synthetic softshell materials. If you do wax it, that + the already pretty dense weave will make it not that breathable compared to more conventional synthetic materials. It's a very tough fabric that has a good balance of wind/water resistance, and breathability, but if you aren't going to be bashing around on rocks all day up a mountain or doing serious bushwhacking there are lighter, more breathable, and cheaper options. For durability, though, the G-1000 stuff is hard to beat.

Ah, that's helpful thanks, those Kebs looked amazing but I didn't catch that they were waxed. Also holy crap are they expensive.

Morbus posted:

If you are spending most of your time in relatively humid, wooded environments that aren't that cold, and want knee reinforcement just to keep dry and not because of high abrasion or bushwhacking through thorn fields, a relatively light nylon softshell type pant with some reinforced knees might serve you well. Marmot Pillar and Montane Terra are some examples.

I'm not sure what counts as proper high abrasion, I'm just trying to avoid dropping 100 bucks on pants that I shred on brambles or cut kneeling in the rocks or bracing flipped logs/shale/tin/etc against my legs. "Relatively humid wooded environment" is dead on though, I'm not aiming to be out outside of say the 45-85F temp range.

Morbus posted:

Any pair of pants that looks great on paper may fit you like poo poo, though. Honestly I'd just try to find a light softshell hiking pant for < $100 that fits you well and feels comfortable...if it has reinforced knees great, if not you can put cordura knee patches for like $6. Also, compared to the jeans you have been using, you might find that a reasonably water resistant softshell pant just doesn't absorb enough moisture for it to be an issue when kneeling down.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to sorting out fit. Thanks for the tips though, those marmot and montane pants both look really rad :shobon:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Maybe look at upland bird hunting pants. Might be overkill but they're usually synthetic with cordura knees due to the thick brush commonly encountered whilst bird hunting. They don't run cheap but they should last longer than jeans or hiking pants. Look for synthetics though, there are a lot of cotton and denim upland pants out there.

A pair of patagonias that don't look too overbuilt but they're patagucci so they are $$$

A pair of Eddie Bauers that I own and love, but I also paid $60 for them on sale and not the $180 or whatever bullshit they're trying to charge for them. I've been hunting in them for probably 5 years now and they're really comfortable but probably really warm for summer activities. Most bird hunting is fall-winter with lower temps between 20-50ºF.

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 17, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

the yeti posted:

I'm not sure what counts as proper high abrasion, I'm just trying to avoid dropping 100 bucks on pants that I shred on brambles or cut kneeling in the rocks or bracing flipped logs/shale/tin/etc against my legs.
Some sort of synthetic blend will have much more abrasion resistance/weight than straight natural fiber. I used to buy heavy duck cotton pants for work, but I found I wear through them faster than a $25 pair of 65%poly/35%cotton dickies that are about half the weight. I can't tell if it helps much for cuts or snags though.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

the yeti posted:

I'm not sure what counts as proper high abrasion, I'm just trying to avoid dropping 100 bucks on pants that I shred on brambles or cut kneeling in the rocks or bracing flipped logs/shale/tin/etc against my legs...

Honestly most softshell synthetic hiking pants should give you reasonably good durability. I think, realistically, if you are taking any pair of pants outdoors a lot, some little tears are gonna happen eventually, mostly from punctures rather than abasion. Probably the best way you can extend the life of your pants is by repairing these shortly after they happen so they don't grow into larger frays/holes over time. If you do that, even lighter hiking pants can last a few years. I get several seasons out of even my (not that durable) pranas and I abuse the hell out of them.

The suggestion about hunting pants is a good one, if you want more options with cordura or similar reinforcement and heaver/tougher materials than what you''ll find in most hiking pants. Durability usually means a denser fabric, though, and with that comes warmer / less breathable, and often less stretchy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Another tip for prolonging hiking pants and gear while trekking through brambles--bring hiking poles with you! One of the best things about them is the fact that you can just push bothersome vegetation like that aside with the poles, so it's just not a problem.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
The time has come to replace my everyday hiking boots. My old pair has very little tread left and today marked the third time in the last few months where I have slipped and fallen into some pretty ripe river mud.

My current pair are Northface Fastpacks and while I have no real beef with them, I want to look around a little before I buy. I am looking for something non-leather, waterproof, and as light as possible. I have a heavy fuckin pair of leather boots for snow and some trailrunners for hot days when I don't mind getting my feet wet, but am looking for a boot for colder times when a wetfoot will be miserable. I am looking for something in the ~$150 range, but I am flexible. Anyone have a pair like this that they love?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I recently bought two down sleeping bags from MEC (kind of like a not-as-good Canadian REI). They are men's and women's, but effectively the same fill and so on, and I noticed after the first night sleeping in one of them I'd sweated a bit and there was a really odd odour coming from the bag. It's vaguely noticeable from the other bag. Is this normal at all? I'm out of the country for a bit so I'm stuck with this kind of rank bag. These weren't cheap ones or anything, but I don't remember a weird smell from other people's down bags when I've slept in tents with them (this is my first down bag). Is it worth washing it or something, or should I just try to return it when I get back?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Are they duck down or goose down? I’m told duck down can smell funny when it’s wet.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Loucks posted:

Are they duck down or goose down? I’m told duck down can smell funny when it’s wet.

Interesting. It is duck down.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone have some compact binoculars recommendations? I think I basically want the zeiss terra ed 8x25 but cheaper

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Tsyni posted:

Interesting. It is duck down.

I had the same issue with a duck down sleeping bag (my girlfriend said it smelled like "raccoon piss"), but never with goose down, so add one more piece of anecdotal data. The smell became much less with use. It was really only bad when it was new.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

bongwizzard posted:

The time has come to replace my everyday hiking boots. My old pair has very little tread left and today marked the third time in the last few months where I have slipped and fallen into some pretty ripe river mud.

My current pair are Northface Fastpacks and while I have no real beef with them, I want to look around a little before I buy. I am looking for something non-leather, waterproof, and as light as possible. I have a heavy fuckin pair of leather boots for snow and some trailrunners for hot days when I don't mind getting my feet wet, but am looking for a boot for colder times when a wetfoot will be miserable. I am looking for something in the ~$150 range, but I am flexible. Anyone have a pair like this that they love?

I just replaced my GTX hedgehog fastpack lites (shoes not boots) with another pair (II's I think) because the first pair were so good, I really liked them and they kept my feet warm and dry through pretty much everything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pointsofdata posted:

Does anyone have some compact binoculars recommendations? I think I basically want the zeiss terra ed 8x25 but cheaper

I bring a monocular on short backpacking trips.

I can’t justify double the weight on a luxury item.

Mine is a Vortex Solo 10×25 ($55). Optics are good. It seems tough, but I haven’t dropped it in a geyser yet. Minimum focus distance and focus ergonomics could be better, but I mostly use it focused at infinity.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

pointsofdata posted:

I've tried for awhile to find a pair that's a good blend of lightweight, quality, and price, but it's a struggle. Specifically I'd love a good pair to use for night sky viewing while I'm out in the backcountry. However, I'm not so invested that I'm willing to spend the hundred+ bucks to get a pair that'd hit the marks I'm looking for, so I've just been bringing the cheapie pair I got from work for a 5 year anniversary present. It just seems like optics are such a rabbithole that I got discouraged and gave up on the whole idea, just cause I'm not sure how much I'd actually bring and use them.

Unrelated question, but can anyone recommend me an affordable Merino Wool tee shirt? I've got a weeklong backpacking trip coming up here in a few months, and I'd like to get something that'll handle odor better on my torso. Everything I'm seeing is like sixty bucks for a tee shirt, which to me is insane.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've tried for awhile to find a pair that's a good blend of lightweight, quality, and price, but it's a struggle. Specifically I'd love a good pair to use for night sky viewing while I'm out in the backcountry. However, I'm not so invested that I'm willing to spend the hundred+ bucks to get a pair that'd hit the marks I'm looking for, so I've just been bringing the cheapie pair I got from work for a 5 year anniversary present. It just seems like optics are such a rabbithole that I got discouraged and gave up on the whole idea, just cause I'm not sure how much I'd actually bring and use them.

Unrelated question, but can anyone recommend me an affordable Merino Wool tee shirt? I've got a weeklong backpacking trip coming up here in a few months, and I'd like to get something that'll handle odor better on my torso. Everything I'm seeing is like sixty bucks for a tee shirt, which to me is insane.

Get a time machine and go to Costco that used to sell great wool t-shirts for cheap. I bought 5 of their long sleeved ones recently, $20 CAD a pop. I did an experiment where I wore one for two weeks straight. No smell. Wool is life.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Re: lightweight wool, I found a long sleeve merino wool crew neck "sweater" by Express for $5 at a thrift storea few years back that I use like that. It's too small since I've been hitting the gym, though.

edit: I found some Merino wool sweaters on Macy's website, $38 shipped for two. Yoink.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Get a time machine and go to Costco that used to sell great wool t-shirts for cheap. I bought 5 of their long sleeved ones recently, $20 CAD a pop. I did an experiment where I wore one for two weeks straight. No smell. Wool is life.
Make sure to read the tag. A while back I picked up a 'Merino Blend' base layer from Costco thinking it meant wool with a bit of poly for durability. Nope. 11% wool.

E: also, since it is sized for Costco demographic the small size fit more like a relaxed fit medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

CopperHound posted:

Make sure to read the tag. A while back I picked up a 'Merino Blend' base layer from Costco thinking it meant wool with a bit of poly for durability. Nope. 11% wool.

E: also, since it is sized for Costco demographic the small size fit more like a relaxed fit medium.

Yeah, that's true, haha, the Merino blends are often low like that, but even in the 40-50% range merino wool + poly can be nice.

These long sleeved shirts are 100% though. They are nice a light, basically the perfect base layer. Cloudveil is the brand name.