Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who is Fishmech?

Was wondering that too, there's an entry in the SAclopedia.

OOOh a tax!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You have mentioned that you know what my job in basically every post you've made to me in the last 6 months but you oddly never actually clarify what your extremely expert job is. It's always "I work WITH engineers", "I talk to pilots every day". Why is that?

I told you much of this already, as though working in the largest airplane factory in the world wasn’t somehow enough for you to understand that I might know a thing or two about commercial aviation.

Unlike you, I say things like “I work with engineers, et al” because I’m not misrepresenting what I know. Take some notes on that.

Now answer my questions.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 29, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SpaceX and Tesla could still function as companies if Musk allowed his employees to participate in the birth of their child without fear of retaliation or complaints from management. Musk doesn't have to be a horrible employer, he chooses to be one.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

spite house posted:

Yeah. It's not just Skid Row, either. Those tent encampments are popping up all over the city, and I believe a cooking fire from one camp was what started the Skirball fire that torched some of Bel Air.

Here's the tricky thing. The city has finally twigged to the fact that there isn't enough subsidized housing, and has completed construction on a lot of nice SRO apartments that are fairly easy to get into and well-funded. People of middle-class origins who live on the fringes of the gig economy are signing up for them left and right, as well they should. The folks who live outdoors, though, aren't particularly interested. The tent cities are communities, they have their own economies and rules and social support, and for the truly down-and-out, that can seem a lot more appealing than having to go straight, submit forms and answer to public agencies. These people are doing what people usually do, which is cling to the familiar, and structures that they know how to navigate.

The permanently homeless of LA are in terrible shape, with all the rampant addiction and mental illness and poor health and susceptibility to crime and violence that you'd expect, but they've been living in their own realm for long enough that it makes perfect sense that so many of them would want to stay put. The recent pushes to provide housing may have come too late, and nobody really knows what to do about it.

We could really point that problem all the way back to Reagan getting rid of national Mental Health clinics and criminalizing addiction. You're right the problem is huge and probably generational to solve but it's hard to Pivot the money into America when were so busy stomping around the world making a mess of everything else. I've long been a proponent of the idea of invading America, rebuilding its infrastructure and schools and taking care of its population but that's not real popular these days. We have a lot of the same problem up here in the northwest. In Seattle there's a huge homeless encampment called the jungle. There's a lot of work that goes into Outreach and social services and clean needles and overdose prevention but a lot of our issue has come from outlying areas closing down any sort of help for the homeless and the fact that we have mild winter so the population is continuously increasing. Couple that with wild wealth inequality in Terraria and astronomical housing prices and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight without some sort of minimum income in huge social change on par with post World War two levels of jobs programs. But once again that would need several electoral Cycles in a row where put the party in control isn't determined to tear down everything felt by the previous party.

Aves Maria! posted:

Aren't you the poster who defended musk by mocking posters who were pointing out how rich he is and how little actual help he provides to serious societal problems

Nope

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm not arguing against Musk, though. I'm pointing out how you can't be excused from your attempt at justifying the 'job creators' rhetoric.

It is absurd to frame employment as 'direct aid'.

But if you're going to further characterize Musk as someone whose concerns are altruistic, there's no reaching you.

Musk's altruism is the ultimate kind: he cares about humanity as a species and wants to get us to colonize Mars, which is the only reason he is busting his rear end making reusable rockets that land upright, among many other things.

Anyway I get it, he should do some philanthropic work. But Bill Gates didn't start doing that until after he retired. I'd be OK with it if Musk followed a similar path.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

Musk's altruism is the ultimate kind: he cares about humanity as a species and wants to get us to colonize Mars, which is the only reason he is busting his rear end making reusable rockets that land upright, among many other things.

Anyway I get it, he should do some philanthropic work. But Bill Gates didn't start doing that until after he retired. I'd be OK with it if Musk followed a similar path.

good god. it is absolutely amazing how hard some of you want to believe that white billionaires have your best interests in mind.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah you're right, I was just parroting what the reply tweets were saying, even after I tested to make sure that's how JS would interpret it and return a truthy value from the assignment, figured they knew better than me, i am smrt

(Also lol that they get their error codes as strings apparently)

Yeah, never trust internet randos* to tell you how JS interpreters work because it's surprisingly complicated and most of them are incompetant.

*other than me, obviously

PhazonLink posted:

Why do police only tear gas white game nerds but kill non whites?

The dead guy is, err, was white :confused:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Koalas March posted:

Lmao "I actually don't know anything about you and admitted to confusing you with someone else but here's a big list of things that are wrong with you"

loving goons

I'd advise against that.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

enraged_camel posted:

You are reading a lot into why he's motivated to do what he's doing, to the point of ascribing traits to him that aren't based in observable fact.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

enraged_camel posted:

That's what his team of public relations flacks want you to believe.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

enraged_camel posted:

This is pretty creepy.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
bird cooch, have you ever considered that people working in the same industry (an industry heavily dependent on personal connections) might communicate with each other, despite being spread around the country?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

botany posted:

good god. it is absolutely amazing how hard some of you want to believe that white billionaires have your best interests in mind.

I certainly don't believe that the average poor person has my best interests in mind either.

Humanity is out for itself, it'd take more than some altruistic minority to fix that

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean I don’t see me queued up patiently waiting for my guaranteed place in a space x rocket to mars for when the earth goes tits up very soon

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

I told you much of this already, as though working in the largest airplane factory in the world wasn’t somehow enough for you to understand that I might know a thing or two about commercial aviation.

Working at that factory doing what again?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, never trust internet randos* to tell you how JS interpreters work because it's surprisingly complicated and most of them are incompetant.

*other than me, obviously

I can trust this right? https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Personally, I think Musk would do more for his eternal legacy building a giant, fire-breathing statue that periodically shouts out 'REMEMBER ME!' instead of all this techbro poo poo.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

botany posted:

not sure why you had to make this about race

why did you have to make this about race

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
ITT goons don't understand that people learn things from their friends

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure, you know what town and company the poster works for, but now you're demanding their job title too?

This is getting a little creepy.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So that NYT interview Trump did. I am not sure how much attention it is getting with the Holiday break and all but holy crap. I realize, Trump has always been meandering, and his method of speaking...incoherent. Yet he really seems to be losing it. Cognitively, he seems to be regressing very fast. This article from Vox does a fantastic job of breaking the interview down.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/29/16829806/trump-interview-new-york-times

Shot:

quote:

Imagine how we would react to literally any other president speaking like this. Trump has bludgeoned us into becoming accustomed to these kinds of comments but that, too, is worrying.

Chaser:

quote:

I am not a medical professional, and I will not pretend to know what is truly happening here. It’s become a common conversation topic in Washington to muse on whether the president is suffering from some form of cognitive decline or psychological malady. I don’t think those hypotheses are necessary or meaningful. Whatever the cause, it is plainly obvious from Trump’s words that this is not a man fit to be president, that he is not well or capable in some fundamental way. That is an uncomfortable thing to say, and so many prefer not to say it, but Trump does not occupy a job where such deficiencies can be safely ignored.

As other goons have said, if we can ever get Trump to take to the stand and testify, under oath, in his current mental condition, then oh boy would we be in for a treat.

At the sametime however, this man is POTUS and gently caress that is still terrifying. And that is completely ignoring his racist, sexist, authoritarian rhetoric.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
Is Elon Musk a sandwich, or a burrito?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Man, the Trump thread is really humming along today, must be all those crazy tweets, that HIV advisory council he axed, and that NYT oh

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

lmao

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Musk would kill all the women and children in a small nation if their blood was necessary for Mars and he'd do it with a clear conscience since he thinks he's saving mankind.

Musk is not a good person and we should probably get rid of him once we reach a tipping point on his aspirations. Once interplanetary travel is an inevitability someone should stick him in the spacious trunk of a model X and roll it into a lake. But until then he's pretty useful.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You expect me to dox myself rather than answering basic questions. You don’t have the right to demand that of me.

All this shows is that you aren’t arguing in good faith.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

enraged_camel posted:

It's always been about race.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If Musk succeeds in colonizing Mars then sci-fi media tells me it'll solve racism because instead all of Earth's bigotry will be directed at people living on Mars.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Papal Infallibility posted:

Well that and the fact that having at least one person with genuine financial power who wants to kind of sort of tackle climate change in a oblique and inefficient way is basically a godsend considering how little effort is actually being put into it.

gently caress the Hyperloop though.

whats wrong with the hyperloop?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

He edited out his actual job title so you wouldn't stalk him you weirdo

also:

dbukalski posted:

It doesn't exist. It's literally an idea, and one that is mostly impractical. Like I said 3 billion pages ago it could still be worth investigating (certainly prototyping) but... maybe a bit irresponsible to build hype over that.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 29, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

See, when I'm going to open this plantation in the New World, I'm doing it for the good of all humanity! They'll now be able to live here and work in my fields instead of living in squalor in the Old World. I pay the cost of travel to get my workers the incredible distance, heck I even had to buy the boat, since I'm shipping so many workers! I even give my workers free room and board in exchange for their labor, aren't I generous? This is the greatest form of altruism imaginable!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure, you know what town and company the poster works for, but now you're demanding their job title too?

He brings up my job in literally every post he makes on some weird idea that he doxxed me by finding that I openly talk about the fact I work with poor rural schools and their technology programs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Stop trying to get them to self-dox for you you loving stalker.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Earl of Lavender posted:

Is Elon Musk a sandwich, or a burrito?

he's a poptart

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aves Maria! posted:

he's a poptart

Which is a dessert burrito

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

dbukalski posted:

aside from the fact that it solves a nonexistent problem, nothing

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Which is a dessert burrito

nah it's a fruit schnitzel.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aves Maria! posted:

aside from the fact that it solves a nonexistent problem, nothing

Actually a major issue with it is that the way Musk describe it, the hyperloop would only be able to carry such a limited number of passengers an hour that it will basically be only affordable to the rich.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yes, that's a good talk featuring a fun batman joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Aves Maria! posted:

he's a poptart

It's a trick question, burritos are a species of the genus sadwichea, family - carb

• Locked thread