Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Land of the Lustrous / Kingdom of Gems / Houseki no Kuni
In an empty and beautiful world, 221 human-shaped gems live an idyllic life laughing, bickering and bonding. Every summer, the sky tears in half and a heavenly armada spills out to murder them. The sky people wears the corpses of gems as jewelry.

It’s Stephen Universe meets Madoka Magicka, but somehow with… more body horror than Attack on Titan?

The gems are intriguingly post-human - they get lonely, they study and feud, but they also don’t have genders or the concepts of reproduction or death. Like Aphrodite, they form from sea foam, and when smashed, can re-constitute themselves from shards. They still hope to recover their stolen family so they can re-assemble them and laugh together again.

The gems are fixed points, maintaining their personalities and quirks static for thousands of years, and only the youngest gem, Phos, seeks out real change. She can integrate metal into her structure, and has rippling liquid gold where her arms should be. Her need for personal growth is continually shown to have terrifying costs to her sense of self, and I often find myself wondering what the hell she's becoming. Her love of her sisters, and her unbearable guilt for those they lost, drives her against millennia of tradition.

The setting is built around the central mystery of what the sky people want, the true nature of the spiritual leader Sensei who governs the gems, and how they break out of their cycle. So far the reveals have been solid. The characters are fun and strange, and the artwork has a haunting ethereal quality to it. Very spare lines and sweeping blacks make the splash pages hella striking, even if the characters can be a bit tricky to tell apart at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Monstrous Crow
Jan 29, 2009
Land of the Lustrous is also being published in English by Kodansha. Only one volume is out so far, but it looks like they're planning a bimonthly release schedule.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Without getting too much into spoilers the power inflation in later Kumo Desu ga makes Dragonball Z look like small potatoes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I eagerly await that progression somewhere after the heat death of the universe in the manga version

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-31/satoru-noda-golden-kamuy-manga-gets-tv-anime/.119531

Considering the INSANE amounts of detailed, grotesque violence in Golden Kamuy, I await seeing how much they censor it :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no look out for bears

Erebid
Aug 3, 2017
I'm breaking my lurk and finally :justpost:ing to say that I spent the last three or so hours reading Inside Mari, went in expecting weird psychological fuckery mixed with perv poo poo and came out uplifted and crying. Without a doubt the best manga I've ever read (not that I've read a lot). Somehow I was so deeply involved in the plot that I didn't see the obvious conclusion coming and it just left me speechless.

10/10, thank you so much for this recpost, Invictus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You're welcome, I didn't feel it was as good as that, but I did mostly enjoy its psychological bent.

You should try Masturbation Master Kurosawa next, if hosed up psychological stories are your thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Most of the reccomendations from this thread are on point, I don't read much but what I've seen was pretty good.

The only one I tried from here and didn't like was Freesia, which was edgy to the point of almost being funny, but not enjoyable. Terrible art too.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i'm not too good at the whole "explaining about why i like a thing enough to recommend it" thing, but I do want to recommend Liar Game. A series about a naive woman and a con man caught up a series of games of trickery and deception organized by a mysterious group.

Unfortunately there are no official english translations of the series (which ran to 18 volumes). This series also inspired the Korean reality show The Genius

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zetsubou-san posted:

i'm not too good at the whole "explaining about why i like a thing enough to recommend it" thing, but I do want to recommend Liar Game. A series about a naive woman and a con man caught up a series of games of trickery and deception organized by a mysterious group.

Unfortunately there are no official english translations of the series (which ran to 18 volumes). This series also inspired the Korean reality show The Genius

There is a live-action TV series of Liar Game with english subtitles, however. It is well worth a watch. What makes it so good is the Games all have very simple and basic rules rather than being overly contrived. How it gets clever is the way the protagonists and antagonists work those rules in their favour.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 13, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Spotted Flowers is a series about a hardcore otaku and his pregnant wife(it can be NWS, fair warning). It's charming and funny, despite the male lead's repulsive hobby. The banter between him and his wife is fantastic. From what others have told me, this is apparently a reimagining of another series's ending/followup or something? Genshiken or something? I don't really know. But it's really just a funny and heartwarming slice of life story and often deals with the issues of a pregnant woman. :v:

A Monstrous Crow
Jan 29, 2009
Kazuhiro Fujita's The Ghost and the Lady, out in two volumes by Kodansha, tells the story of Florence Nightingale's quest for hospital reform in the Crimean War, accompanied by the ghostly Man in Grey and opposed by Sir John Hall and the ghostly Chevalier d'Eon.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Spotted Flowers is a series about a hardcore otaku and his pregnant wife(it can be NWS, fair warning). It's charming and funny, despite the male lead's repulsive hobby. The banter between him and his wife is fantastic. From what others have told me, this is apparently a reimagining of another series's ending/followup or something? Genshiken or something? I don't really know. But it's really just a funny and heartwarming slice of life story and often deals with the issues of a pregnant woman. :v:

I bet you regret posting this one now :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

I bet you regret posting this one now :v:

You can't say that without telling us how to goes down the toilet :suspense:.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say that without telling us how to goes down the toilet :suspense:.

Does it count as self-promotion if I link to my own posts? I hope not!

Start reading here and scroll down.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I was literally going to come and post that it's probably not a good idea anymore. What the gently caress, author. Like, it was genuinely wholesome for the most part, dude is a hardcore otaku but still got married and was taking care of his pregnant wife, she gave birth, everything's hunky-dory, and then...swerve into loving bullshitsville

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
And this is why you don't marry an otaku!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah I was literally going to come and post that it's probably not a good idea anymore. What the gently caress, author. Like, it was genuinely wholesome for the most part, dude is a hardcore otaku but still got married and was taking care of his pregnant wife, she gave birth, everything's hunky-dory, and then...swerve into loving bullshitsville

Wholesome? Were we reading the same comic, seemed like the first few chapters were all about the wife being horny?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's kind of an issue for a pregnant woman! And if you must, take it as "wholesome compared to 99% of anime" :v:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
It is, but so are things like dietary changes, hormonal shifts, and increased financial obligations. That story is basically "Booho, I can't get a dicking."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Comixology is having a jojo sale. I've previously been told it doesnt really jump off til a certain point or should I just grab whatever?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I only read until Part 4. It won't blow your mind, at the end of the day it's just a shonen with very interesting art and interesting solutions to it's fights, but it's also a very enjoyable read if that's your thing.

1 is very, very mediocre, but it kinda sets up some things that'll pay off later. It's also very short so at least it's over quickly. Money doesn't grow on trees though, so you might want to read an abridged version somewhere else instead.

2 is when things start to get good, the humor begins shining through and the fights are more creative.

3 is when the Stands are introduced, it takes plot points from both 1 and 2, they begin using an ensemble cast and a "Monster of the Week" setting.

People seems to dislike 4 a lot but I honestly can't tell why, at the time I read it was my favorite; it's essentially Part 3 but instead of travelling around the world to face a big bad guy it's all focused on a small remote town with a serial killer problem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People love 4, they are iffy on 5 and they like 6 until the end.

1 is forgettable, 2 is a mess with an interesting protagonist, and 3 is basically set up for what Jojo is and is probably the most popular part.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Comixology is having a jojo sale. I've previously been told it doesnt really jump off til a certain point or should I just grab whatever?

Read absolutely all of it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Synthbuttrange posted:

Read all of it. Some parts are better than others, but it's all worth reading.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two things: My Monster Secret is finished, and the scanlations are nearly at the end as well. The finale is fantastic and it's one of my favorite romcoms ever. Managed to be consistently funny and creative throughout its run, though early on it was still getting its bearings.

Also:

Squidster posted:

Land of the Lustrous / Kingdom of Gems / Houseki no Kuni
This is now an anime. I like the style a lot more than the manga, probably because it's colorful rather than black and white, which I feel for something about gemstone-based characters should have some color to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3vytC1140&hd=1

While it's the dreaded Anime CG, it looks a hell of a lot nicer animation-wise than most anime CG shows.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Captain Invictus posted:

Two things: My Monster Secret is finished, and the scanlations are nearly at the end as well. The finale is fantastic and it's one of my favorite romcoms ever. Managed to be consistently funny and creative throughout its run, though early on it was still getting its bearings.

Also:

This is now an anime. I like the style a lot more than the manga, probably because it's colorful rather than black and white, which I feel for something about gemstone-based characters should have some color to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3vytC1140&hd=1

While it's the dreaded Anime CG, it looks a hell of a lot nicer animation-wise than most anime CG shows.
It is a faithful and gorgeous adaptation of the manga. I was also hesitant about the 3d animation, but they're pulling it off really well. It spent 2 years in preproduction for its 13 episodes, and it's clearly a labour of real passion.

https://www.tumblr.com/video/patchoulism/166222496842/1000/

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I LOVE the gamelan soundtrack. This may be the first anime I watch all the way through since OPM.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah Land of The Lustrous has turned out to be a really strange and beautiful show.
https://streamable.com/q93ug

But since this is a comic thread i'll pitch this instead.

The 35th anniversary edition of Akira just came out and looks cool as hell and if i my volumes weren't still in good shape i'd be sorely tempted to buy this sucker.

It's $80 off right now (from 200) but to be fair, that is a lot of comic.
https://www.amazon.com/Akira-35th-A...L40_&dpSrc=srch

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Local nerd killed via Amazon drone drop'

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Buy this.

https://twitter.com/brokeotaku/status/933743976074698752

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It makes a fantastic gift, too. For forty bucks you can do much, much worse.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Fair warning, if you're used to pristine print quality, for some reason the publisher went with a slightly dingy off white paper and the ink looks faded on it; to me it looks worse than some fly-by night publishers dumping generic no-name harem manga I've seen. But it's $40 for two hardbacks of almost 2000 pages so I guess cuts had to be made.

That of course is literally the only complaint I have about it, buy it anyways. Also, the third volume of Dungeon Meshi just came out a month or two ago, so buy all of those too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hell that didn't even bother me, the only thing that bothers me is the baffling inclusion of a sound effect index, an index in the back of the book full of nothing but translations for sound effects rather than have them on the corresponding page proper.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Captain Invictus posted:

Hell that didn't even bother me, the only thing that bothers me is the baffling inclusion of a sound effect index, an index in the back of the book full of nothing but translations for sound effects rather than have them on the corresponding page proper.

Viz does that for some reason. It's their thing. I remember the sfx index in Monster and Excel Saga and it was baffling in those two as well.

As for the print quality, I suspect it's more a stylistic choice than anything. I have another publisher's print of Nausicaä and it also has that off-white paper with not so much faded, but non-black ink. I am very bad at colours but it's something like very dark brown. Maybe Miyazaki demands it?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

They did that for a few reasons. Like they didn't want to have to "ruin" the art by redrawing everything (or save money, who knows.) They don't put it on the side because that looks cluttered.

Nausicaa was also translated like what, 10 years ago? That was back when they thought people cared about translating everything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey, so, I'm just going to say, Attack On Titan has gone some really incredible places, the artwork has gotten way better(titan-wise, human-wise it can still be dodgy at times) and the story has gone in some pretty surprising directions.

I really, really don't want to spoil it past that, just that if you enjoyed the initial concept of the story and especially the horrifying aspects of it, but fell off during some of the lulls later on, I'd strongly reconsider picking it back up.

Here's a tidbit as an example, kept as vague as possible: they solved the mindless titan problem that was the crux of the initial storyline a decent bit ago, and that's basically the End Of Prologue chapter

Like, the latest chapter that just leaked today is the type of thing people have been waiting literally half a decade for, and it's paying off in spades.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 29, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I really need to catch up with AoT, I fell off for no particular reason shortly after the basement reveal, despite it being super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I really need to catch up with AoT, I fell off for no particular reason shortly after the basement reveal, despite it being super good.
Do it, that was the kickoff to the current stuff and boy howdy it's gone some PLACES. Both literally and figuratively