Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

McCracAttack posted:

I haven't heard from anyone that liked the durability in the weapon system. Just varying degrees of tolerance. They tried so many new things for that game I'm not surprised some of them didn't gel. But it's a drat shame the weapon system was one of the ones that didn't.

...and the inventory system they had to redo at the 11th hour.

Hi, it's me, the one person who liked Breath of the Wild's approach to weapon durability.

The thing I would say about it to put it into context is that I think it's an attempt to deliberately avoid what I'd call the 'Old Faithful' approach to equipment in open world games. In Bethesda games for example, the game's throwing weapons at you left and right, but it's not going to take too long for you to find your 'Thing' and stick to it. Once you find that rifle you like the feel of in Fallout, or a decently-enchanted longsword in Skyrim, things become kinda static; maybe you'll find a straight upgrade or ways to mod your weapon further, but basically you've found your core. And that's fine, I think it works especially for RPGs where you can build towards that, but it means that most of the weapons the game is giving you are useless, because why the gently caress would you want to use one when you've got your trusty kit right there?

But in Breath of the Wild, almost all the weapons are extremely transient. And that means that by necessity you'll have to diversify, use and learn the tools the game is giving you. And it's giving you a lot of tools, nearly any enemy of any significant strength drops a weapon or to so you're rarely actually short on weaponry to keep fighting with (and when you are you've still got bombs and physics), you just have to keep changing those out because they will keep breaking. That means that while you may have a favorite, and that might inform your overall playstyle, it's not encompassing your overall playstyle; I liked using a certain type of spear, but that spear is only really going to be available for copious use in a particular region. So it can't be a dealbreaker that I don't have access to it.

Of course, that's a rule broken by the Master Sword, but being that it is your Old Faithful as both Link and as a Zelda player, that's understandable. Even when you have it, though, you can't stick entirely to it; it doesn't break permanently, but it needs to recharge, and that means you have to know your other options. Which would be a pain, if the game hadn't been training you for exactly that over the whole playtime.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Plus I would argue that what makes the challenge runs interesting is that the levels have not been designed with the challenge in mind and thus you need to really figure out cool solutions and tricks to deal with the challenges. Like the LGS Thief games and the first Dishonored, which were super cool to play while restricting yourself from using various tools like knockdowns and stuff. Dishonored 2 in contrast, while fun, was made with powerless play in mind, so it requires much less creativity to do a minimalist stealth run in.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

All of the common gripes about botw make more sense if you think of the environment as a "character." It's something you're interacting with.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nostradingus posted:

All of the common gripes about botw make more sense if you think of the environment as a "character." It's something you're interacting with.

Well it's a very pretty character but it doesn't have much going for it beyond pretty and big.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Wait, how many pages has it been since someone complained about Morgana in Persona 5?

Morgana telling me to go to sleep is why I stopped playing Persona 5. I was like 20 hours in.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

McCracAttack posted:

Wait, how many pages has it been since someone complained about Morgana in Persona 5?

Morgana telling me to go to sleep is why I stopped playing Persona 5. I was like 20 hours in.

you only got through the first night? coward.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

They meant in game, not IRL.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I loved that game and want to play again but Morgana is the worst and I don't want to deal with it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Post poste posted:

They meant in game, not IRL.

Isn't it the same thing?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Len posted:

I loved that game and want to play again but Morgana is the worst and I don't want to deal with it.

Fast forward that poo poo. Since you already know the story, catch up on a book, text someone back, or watch something.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I don't know why people fixate on Morgana telling you to go to sleep; I haven't played 3 but 4 was exactly as restrictive, it was just the game telling you to sleep and not a cat.

Do goons just hate cats?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Morgana in general is just kind of obnoxious at times, like how he’s a total dick to Ryuji for no reason all the time.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Im playing BotW right now and I love it more than I expected to. Im with the weapon durability defender guy, I thought id hate it but I like it. I always carry one of each elemental weapon for easy counter kills and a few generic weapons for fodder and Im never short on what I need. It's the first time weapon durability feels purposeful instead of a pointless addition. When you work with it instead of trying to fight it everything seems to click.

I just wish the combat was better as it feels a bit shallow and I wish there were more enemy types. This would have been an ideal game for a like-like to show up.

Horses are useless as poo poo. I love exploring and climbing everything so if Im going anywhere im always veering off course to check poo poo out so constantly getting on and off the horse is a waste. If I need to actually be somewhere specific I just fast-travel. I think Ive used a horse once.

I also wish there was a way to orgainze and order my inventory so it's less tedious to grab stuff for cooking.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

Especially when it doesn't even apply to most of the beloved classics of the genre. Like the original Deus Ex can only be cleared completely nonlethally by abusing glitches and after the first act it more or less completely stops reacting to whether you go nonlethally or kill everything that moves.

It's all Thief's fault. As I always say, to those people every game is Thief, except for the two Thief games that aren't.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I don't know why people fixate on Morgana telling you to go to sleep; I haven't played 3 but 4 was exactly as restrictive, it was just the game telling you to sleep and not a cat.

Do goons just hate cats?

5 just feels like you've got a little Proxi fairy on your shoulder stealing away what little character the MC could have by constantly talking for him to me. I dunno. It just bugs me. You can make your own decisions in Social Links and while you're texting but I think it just boils down to it feeling obnoxious to be told that you're tired and you need to go to sleep like you're in elementary school or something.

I dunno, maybe it's just presentation. Some stuff in that game is just weird. Like how washing things takes up the entire day and you can't read while waiting for things to be done. Or, y'know, go do something else while that happens.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If it we're just the MC having a thought bubble and going "I'm tired I should go to bed," it wouldn't be anywhere near as irritating as worst pet character Morgana telling me I was tired and have to sleep.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Febreeze posted:

I just wish the combat was better as it feels a bit shallow and I wish there were more enemy types. This would have been an ideal game for a like-like to show up.

Hands down the enemy variety is one of the biggest complaints I have with the game - especially the boss designs.
The dungeons are also all super samey. Appearance wise. And I just never felt like I was making any real progression like I would in pretty much every other Zelda game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Murdoch posted:

It's all Thief's fault. As I always say, to those people every game is Thief, except for the two Thief games that aren't.

Yeah people always forget how much of the first one was you smacking spiders and zombies with short swords. And the third one had the puppets in Shalebridge Cradle.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Do goons just hate cats?

Maybe 4 was just as bad but for some reason it really chafed this time around. The whole thing felt like a never ending tutorial. They showed you this big interesting city but almost never turned you loose to enjoy it. I'm sure there were game balance reasons but it's such an irritating solution.

It also smacked of that condescending tone some old style Japanese developers tend to have. "No, no. We'll tell you how you're supposed to enjoy our game. There are rules after all." Atlus's baffling ban on streaming the game probably contributed to that particular raw nerve for me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Len posted:

If it we're just the MC having a thought bubble and going "I'm tired I should go to bed," it wouldn't be anywhere near as irritating as worst pet character Morgana telling me I was tired and have to sleep.

I hope Persona 5 Golden lets you chug an energy drink whenever Morgana tells you to go to bed.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Maybe 4 was just as bad but for some reason it really chafed this time around. The whole thing felt like a never ending tutorial. They showed you this big interesting city but almost never turned you loose to enjoy it. I'm sure there were game balance reasons but it's such an irritating solution.

It also smacked of that condescending tone some old style Japanese developers tend to have. "No, no. We'll tell you how you're supposed to enjoy our game. There are rules after all." Atlus's baffling ban on streaming the game probably contributed to that particular raw nerve for me.

You get to go wherever you want in the city pretty early, though?

I just don't understand any of these complaints; Morgana was by no means my favorite character, but having him as the game's mouthpiece never bothered me whatsoever. Persona 4 did the thought bubble "I should go to sleep" and tbh I found that more annoying than the cat, because it felt a lot more arbitrary.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

You get to go wherever you want in the city pretty early, though?

But most nights the game decides you need to go to sleep instead. That was my complaint. 20 hours in I still wasn't being allowed to spend my time in the game how I chose. Swapping Morgana out with a random thought bubble wouldn't have helped.

Feh, this isn't worth talking to death anymore. I loved Persona 5's style but it was too structured and rigid for my enjoyment. That's a valid design decision but I did not care for it.

wash bucket has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Dec 30, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I didn't dislike Morgana all that much, but that might have just been because I thought about Teddie and knew it could be much, much worse.

Things dragging games down - I've been revisiting some Persona stuff again and Teddie from P4 is completely unsufferable, especially in the spinoffs. He's not THAT bad at first, but as soon as he decides "pevert" is going to be his main and only character trait things get really bad really fast.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zinkraptor posted:

Things dragging games down - I've been revisiting some Persona stuff again and Teddie from P4 is completely unsufferable, especially in the spinoffs. He's not THAT bad at first, but as soon as he decides "pevert" is going to be his main and only character trait things get really bad really fast.

The spinoffs unfortunately butcher most of the characters by reducing them to one or two traits. Teddie just gets hit the worst by it and becomes the most annoying.

Chie is almost as bad when they turn her into the food obsessed monster instead of goofy kung fu fangirl who happens to eat a lot as part of her training.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Like they saw that using stealth in the early game in DX1 was a useful tool, and somehow twisted that into "It's a stealth game."
Human Revolution is not stealth game though. You can use stealth if you want, but you certainly don't have to and it's very often not the best option.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

In DX1, enemy awareness worked on an individual scale. One guy would see you, maybe he guns for you, maybe he runs for the alarm. Even if he does get shots off or hit the alarm, it doesn't result in the rest of the enemies in your given playing area suddenly aware of your presence. Is it realistic? No of course not. Is it fun? Yes, absolutely! It also is never treated as a failure state. In Mankind Divided in particular you are hosed if you get caught, and because there's so much focus on stealth it feels like you did something wrong, rather than the game suddenly changing how you need to interact with it (fight, flee, etc).
Haven't played much of MD, but HR definitely doesn't treat getting spotted as a failure state, and the little I did play of MD seemed pretty similar. You either run away and hide or you take out the people who are aware of you and you're fine.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So now with HR you've got these two boring rear end hubs, Detroit and Heng Sha that look the loving same thanks to....ambitious art direction. And then in Mankind Divided they just gave the gently caress up on the whole iconic globe trotting adventure angle and set the whole game in Prague. Now from a design standpoint, it's fantastic! IT's so full of life and detail. It's also boring as poo poo to explore and more than half the game is set there, rather then sending the player on cool cyberpunk spy missions, which is the whole point of the series!
The missions are the worst thing about those games. IW and HR are immeasurably improved by having hubs. I'm always disappointed when I finish all the stuff to do at any given hub because it means I have to go do some lovely mission instead.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I won't even go into the flat writing or lack of thematic cohesion (it's about, uh, transhumanism! and racism! oh poo poo we forgot about conspiracies) but the narratives of both games are boring as all gently caress.
The writing in the original Deus Ex is absurdly bad. The rest of the series is no improvement, but acting like they're desecrating the legacy of this incredible piece of writing is laughable. Deus Ex's writing is really, really loving dumb.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tiggum posted:

The writing in the original Deus Ex is absurdly bad. The rest of the series is no improvement, but acting like they're desecrating the legacy of this incredible piece of writing is laughable. Deus Ex's writing is really, really loving dumb.

It was pretty amazing... when I was a nihilist in college, probably because it was at about the same level as my own creative writing at the time. The biggest desecration in my opinion was not including melee combat.

In the end, the Omar were the heroes we deserved.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I said this before, but the thematic dragging-down for Human Revolution was the golden-age look they decided to do with it.

In the original game, there was a strong throughline that nanoaugmentation was such a gamechanger in many fronts, least of all that people could finally look normal and be augmented. People were willingly making themselves into monsters because they had to, not because they wanted to. The tech wasn't fundamentally there to deal with making things pretty.

Cut to HR, where everyone has iPhone Augmentations, down to really poor folks. There's good themes to be mined there, no doubt, but I think those themes are stronger if mechanical augs are ugly as hell.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MisterBibs posted:

I think I said this before, but the thematic dragging-down for Human Revolution was the golden-age look they decided to do with it.

In the original game, there was a strong throughline that nanoaugmentation was such a gamechanger in many fronts, least of all that people could finally look normal and be augmented. People were willingly making themselves into monsters because they had to, not because they wanted to. The tech wasn't fundamentally there to deal with making things pretty.

Cut to HR, where everyone has iPhone Augmentations, down to really poor folks. There's good themes to be mined there, no doubt, but I think those themes are stronger if mechanical augs are ugly as hell.

I personally think that things that look pretty on the surface but are poo poo underneath is a more relatable premise to people. Sure augs look great and seem convienant but now youre a drug addict and they jacked up the price.

I will agree they dont explore this theme quite enough though, and Adam is a literal prodigal son who gets to ignore all the drawbacks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah HR suffered from everything being far too slick and cool for a prequel. They really should have just made it its own story instead of tying it into the original. Everything is so sleek and advanced, there's absolutely no way for Gunther to appear in a few years and be cutting edge.

And yeah Deus Ex had kinda bad writing but it was also goofy as gently caress and didn't take itself remotely seriously. Nobody told the characters that but that was part of the joke. The new ones by comparison absolutely set out to make Big Important Statements about... something?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sure augs look great and seem convienant but now youre a drug addict and they jacked up the price.

Like I said, there's a lot of stuff to mine thematically, but I think an element of adding insult-to-injury aspect to the whole situation would've been really sharp, given players (generally) know where poo poo is heading.

They're ugly, but you have to get that aug to compete In your career. You have to take that drug, but you'll be screwed if you don't aug up. The drug keeps getting more expensive, but you don't have a choice. And despite all that, assuming you make it? It's a decade or less before it's completely and utterly for naught.

e: I'll add another game, because I've been playing it:

Dungeons 2 has a lot of little things that compound on each other to make things really annoying. It's doubly annoying because I otherwise genuinely like the game: it's a not-at-all serious take on Dungeon Keeper, has a nice hybrid DK/RTS thing going on, and things are generally just different enough that it's not like you're just playing Dungeon Keeper again.

The core issue is your imp analogues. Things in the game generally cost multiples of 250 gold. What do your surprisingly-slow-to-get-around imps harvest at? Somewhere between 25-35 gold a pop (which you can update to 40+!). So you're waiting a lot. Waiting for enough gold to build the rooms to buy the units you need right now, because :lol: if the game is going to give you some time to build up. It's hard to create a handful of units early on, because Imps themselves cost gold and count against your population count. You can increase your population count, but that costs (wait for it) a lot of gold.

I had a mission where the game was nagging me to build some freshly-discovered technology. Fucker, I want to, but even one of those upgrades costs 750 gold and that's one payday for ~5 units. Those five units are on standby because there's a wave of five enemies coming this way, too.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Dec 30, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah people always forget how much of the first one was you smacking spiders and zombies with short swords. And the third one had the puppets in Shalebridge Cradle.

To give Thief 1 a tiny bit of credit, the extra levels in the expanded edition inflated the amount of loving around with zombies, so first impressions may have been slightly different compared to what is considered Thief 1 now. But otherwise I agree.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mokinokaro posted:

The spinoffs unfortunately butcher most of the characters by reducing them to one or two traits. Teddie just gets hit the worst by it and becomes the most annoying.

Chie is almost as bad when they turn her into the food obsessed monster instead of goofy kung fu fangirl who happens to eat a lot as part of her training.

Naoto's hit is relatively minor--hell, she's probably at her best in P4 Arena--but I never liked how Golden and Dancing All Night (plus her spinoff novel, but nobody cares about that) closed off the ambiguity about her gender identity. I thought she was way more powerful and interesting as a character when it wasn't entirely clear if she was transgender or just struggling with societal expectations, but that might be because I'm trans myself.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I dropped Persona 4 years ago when that big-buff (but-definitely-not-a-metaphor-for-homosexuality) dude ground me into the dirt. Is it true that if you want to max out you S-Links you have to completely suck up to everyone?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I dropped Persona 4 years ago when that big-buff (but-definitely-not-a-metaphor-for-homosexuality) dude ground me into the dirt. Is it true that if you want to max out you S-Links you have to completely suck up to everyone?

If I remember right that dude is totally a metaphor for homosexuality since Kanji isnt sure if hes gay or straight because he likes to sew and has a crush on the girl who dresses like a boy.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Not as much as in Persona 3 ("Of COURSE your teacher is into you Kenji, please operate under that assumption, it'll end great") but you do have to do a bit of rear end-kissing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The problem with HR being more advanced than DX is less to do with poor writing and more how the technology in DX was superceded IRL fairly quickly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's less rear end-kissing and more telling people what they want to hear. It ties into the main character being able to switch Personas - you're literally doing that on the fly in your conversations to put forth whatever face the SLink needs to make the bond deeper. When you hit SLink rank 10 that friendship solidifies into something real.

The bedtime poo poo in 5 is really annoying. In 4 it worked because being in the TV World is meant to be insanely exhausting - just staying conscious and breathing is difficult for normal people in there. I don't really remember anybody mentioning that same kind of oppressive atmosphere in the Metaverse, and in fact it seems like randoms just pop in and manage themselves fine whenever the gang fires up the Metaverse Nav app too nearby.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

It's less rear end-kissing and more telling people what they want to hear.

That's the same thing to most people playing the game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

That's the same thing to most people playing the game.

no, i dont want to hear from the hot teacher that its wrong to date your hot teacher, i know that, thats why im doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The entire Teacher Social Link in P5 is like something straight out of porn, it has to be the most blatant pandering to male fantasies I've seen in gaming.