Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

boner confessor posted:

as a poor semiliterate kenyan millet farmer who posts in d&d, i

I too ignore the legit responses others have given me to focus on a strawman that I myself brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spun Dog posted:

Depends on your profession. Hell, I'm in tech and still just use an old flip phone.

But you've got at least one computer, possibly tablets, etc.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Are you going somewhere with this or just being smugly derogatory?

since you're asking me to explain it to you - it's pretty silly to try to argue that smartphones aren't a luxury in the first world by discussing how sms banking on the indian subcontinent works. since, you know, we're all pretty much posting itt as the global elite in terms of income and resources

if you can't put your smartphone down for a week or even 24 hours, lmao

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I can't wait until the US has it's own left leaning version of the Khmer Rhouge.

Once the glorious revolution does away with all the means of technological progression things will obviously just fix themselves. Plus. that'll really show those ivory tower capitalists!

Jesus christ some of you all are loving dumb.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

boner confessor posted:

since you're asking me to explain it to you - it's pretty silly to try to argue that smartphones aren't a luxury in the first world by discussing how sms banking on the indian subcontinent works. since, you know, we're all pretty much posting itt as the global elite in terms of income and resources

No, it's not a luxury because for many people it's their primary way of accessing the internet, which is a necessity in 2017

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Aves Maria! posted:

It definitely makes it less convenient, which is one of the benefits of a smartphone!, but to say that they're necessary on the level of a refrigerator is a bit hyperbolic imo. One essentially allows you to cook fresh food and eat non-processed meals and get decent nutrition in your diet. The other makes accessing info faster and more convenient than a traditional cell phone. I'd say they're on different levels of necessity for life.

I barely even use my refrigerator. The time spent preparing and cleaning after a meal. versus how cheap food is at places like chipotle. I can get a massive bowl at chipotle with 2x the free stuff for $7.70ish

the same ingredients would cost me $4 and lots of time invested. Then you have waste, spoiled food with refrigerator.

these maybe be rich people problems(Im not rich). But many poor peoples access to internet is thru data plans.

If no one had cell phones they wouldnt be a necessity. But now if you dont have one you cant keep up with the rest of the world, business and social circles

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But you've got at least one computer, possibly tablets, etc.

That's a different argument. That's "the Internet is a necessity" not "a smartphone is a necessity"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

First the stalking and now dodging and lying.

You expect me to continue with this bullshit where I stop and explain to you how working where I do gives me direct experience in commercial aerospace when you owe dodging the same loving question about your own profession?

Look for the sentences that end with “?”. Then answer a few. Quit being a lazy poo poo and put up or shut up.

Shut the gently caress up and take a break from the internet. Both of you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

boner confessor posted:

The second paragraph has loving nothing to do with the first.

But okay. It's technically a luxury. Do you think it has been beneficial to poor people in the US?

I would argue it has, anx probably disproportionately. The barrier to internet access has dropped dramatically and that changes the rules a lot.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Lord posted:

No, it's not a luxury because for many people it's their primary way of accessing the internet, which is a necessity in 2017

it's weird how people conflate "it's not a luxury for everyone" when what they really want to say is "it's not a luxury for ME"

like, unless you are homeless or a third world dirt farmer, these are just excuses for addiction

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

dbukalski posted:

I barely even use my refrigerator. The time spent preparing and cleaning after a meal. versus how cheap food is at places like chipotle. I can get a massive bowl at chipotle with 2x the free stuff for $7.70ish

the same ingredients would cost me $4 and lots of time invested. Then you have waste, spoiled food with refrigerator.

these maybe be rich people problems(Im not rich). But many poor peoples access to internet is thru data plans.

If no one had cell phones they wouldnt be a necessity. But now if you dont have one you cant keep up with the rest of the world, business and social circles

people on EBT in many states cannot use that money to buy prepared foods, such as chipotle. their only option is to buy non-prepared foods at a grocer.

but like I said, cell phones nowadays certainly are a necessity. I'm just debating whether that extends to the convenience that smartphones bestow on us.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Lord posted:

I guess maybe that's not a concession I should have made.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Spun Dog posted:

Depends on your profession. Hell, I'm in tech and still just use an old flip phone.

I'm willing to bet you have a computer or laptop though

A lot of poor people don't. So you get a $200 smart phone (or a $70 smart tracphone) and suddenly you can... Apply for jobs, research for you homework, keep easy tabs on your bank account, budget better with apps etc. Oh yeah and the world won't look at you like a weirdo and you'll feel less ostracized.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"i'd rather give up my fridge than my smartphone because i can always just eat at chipotle" jfc

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

boner confessor posted:

it's weird how people conflate "it's not a luxury for everyone" when what they really want to say is "it's not a luxury for ME"

like, unless you are homeless or a third world dirt farmer, these are just excuses for addiction

I will state here and now that that is not what I am saying nor have at any point in this discussion intended to say.

There are a lot of other people in this conversation also talking about the value to the poor and underprivileged and this is frankly a more interesting topic than yours.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Spun Dog posted:

Does being in tech mean sitting in front of computer all day? Because if your mobile at all in a business you may as well commit financial suicide if your clients and business partners have to wait 1 day delay for you to respond to them.

also the joy of coming home and running through 30 voicemail messsages. Responding to those after business hours and then a new tsunami of messages start the next day

most business communications are multi part back and forth messages. There was a time when everyone sat at a desk and talked on a landline.

Now hardly anyone does that. which means if your trying to function that way your done

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

boner confessor posted:

"i'd rather give up my fridge than my smartphone because i can always just eat at chipotle" jfc

Dont need a smartphone to build a strawman i suppose

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Lotta people real determined to die on random hills today! The last weekday of 2017 is finally dead, get out and have fun with friends.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I will state here and now that that is not what I am saying nor have at any point in this discussion intended to say.

boner confessor is a huge idiot, so clarifying your point to him when it was already crystal clear isn't going to accomplish much

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Koalas March posted:

I'm willing to bet you have a computer or laptop though

A lot of poor people don't. So you get a $200 smart phone (or a $70 smart tracphone) and suddenly you can... Apply for jobs, research for you homework, keep easy tabs on your bank account, budget better with apps etc. Oh yeah and the world won't look at you like a weirdo and you'll feel less ostracized.

Right, if the argument was "the internet is a necessity" I wouldn't have piped up. As for the weirdo stuff, way too late for that.

dbukalski posted:

Does being in tech mean sitting in front of computer all day? Because if your mobile at all in a business you may as well commit financial suicide if your clients and business partners have to wait 1 day delay for you to respond to them.

also the joy of coming home and running through 30 voicemail messsages. Responding to those after business hours and then a new tsunami of messages start the next day

most business communications are multi part back and forth messages. There was a time when everyone sat at a desk and talked on a landline.

Now hardly anyone does that. which means if your trying to function that way your done

I spend all day punching holes in cards and organizing the stacks to feed through the machines.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 30, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'd rather d&d goons think i'm a trolling fool than be someone who breaks out into cold sweats and anxiety when i misplace my phone

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Archonex posted:

I can't wait until the US has it's own left leaning version of the Khmer Rhouge.

Once the glorious revolution does away with all the means of technological progression things will obviously just fix themselves. Plus. that'll really show those ivory tower capitalists!

Jesus christ some of you all are loving dumb.

You can always check out cspam where the khmer rhouge didnt go far enough

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

same. when people tell me how a device which didn't exist a decade ago is now completely central in their daily lives all i hear basically is they're admitting they are a weak and incapable person who doesn't handle lack of stimulation well

The world has shifted to mobile. I dont know what work you do but many people can not function chained to landline or no communication

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

None of this applies to you being dunked on for being dumb about tech though?

It's the ever shifting "whichever is worse is true" thing that bothers me. Like I get a forum is multiple people and so can collectively hold contradictory opinions. But everything has to always be the worst thing possible. Actually automation is bad and will ruin everything and it is simple that automation will take the majority of every job as it sweeps through replacing huge portions of all types of labor. But if the discussion shifts over an inch to talk about some good thing a computer system might be able to do suddenly actually science is over and everything has been invented and something like a computer could never automate anything it hasn't already and also some of the stuff it's already automated is actually fake and can't be done. Like I get it's only rarely the same actual person posting both things or any of the other mopeing opposites, but the "actually everything is hopeless" being the dominant opinion in EVERY conversation just sucks and it sucks more that people that do it more and more seem to be trying to claim they are the "left" instead of just being weird sadsacks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

boner confessor posted:

don't tell us or post about it, but be honest - how many times have you been frustrated with how stupid people can be on social media

33692 times and counting.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Despera posted:

You can always check out cspam where the khmer rhouge didnt go far enough

That way lies madness and/or downing an entire bottle of Jack Daniels in despair, my friend.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
"You guys are all like addicted to your smartphones"

immediately replies to responses and spends way too much time on a dead gay internet forum

"Total addicts I tell you."

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

boner confessor posted:

i'd rather d&d goons think i'm a trolling fool than be someone who breaks out into cold sweats and anxiety when i misplace my phone

You have some really weird hangups about smart phones and you’re conflating arguments about their necessity with your own grievences about them. You’re being weird and unpleasant.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Spun Dog posted:

That's a different argument. That's "the Internet is a necessity" not "a smartphone is a necessity"

For a large chunk of the population(poor people, working people on all spectrums of wealth) smartphone = internet

no smartphone = cant do job. you cant just sit at a desk anymore for many jobs

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

dbukalski posted:

For a large chunk of the population(poor people, working people on all spectrums of wealth) smartphone = internet

no smartphone = cant do job. you cant just sit at a desk anymore for many jobs

Huh, I thought this was the pedantic forum.

Cabbit posted:

Actually, these are the pedantic forums. :smug:

Ouch, I'm a cob now.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 30, 2017

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Spun Dog posted:

Huh, I thought this was the pedantic forum.

Actually, these are the pedantic forums. :smug:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Starmaker posted:

You’re being weird and unpleasant.

confronting addiction is never easy

why does it make you uncomfortable for me to point out smartphones are a luxury?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

vaginadeathgrip posted:

My thumb is so tired from scrolling

Not an empty quote.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/946475930331074565

Only just now seeing this is from yesterday, so it may have been discussed 500 pages ago, but I still think this is funny.

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Aves Maria! posted:

people on EBT in many states cannot use that money to buy prepared foods, such as chipotle. their only option is to buy non-prepared foods at a grocer.

but like I said, cell phones nowadays certainly are a necessity. I'm just debating whether that extends to the convenience that smartphones bestow on us.

my apologies I was conflating smart phones with cell phones. It would be an inconvenience but I could still do business with a flip phone.

Not having internet would be a drag on efficiency. I could text/call someone to look things up for me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I could do without the elevators in my building for 24 hours or even a week, but that doesn't mean it's not, practically speaking, a necessity.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Starmaker posted:

You have some really weird hangups about smart phones and you’re conflating arguments about their necessity with your own grievences about them. You’re being weird and unpleasant.

Unless I'm confusing it with some other boner screen name, Boner Confessor posts a LOT in past black mirror threads where the basic format is him saying things happened in episodes followed by like 5 pages of people telling him those things literally did not happen in the episode and them him saying "in my interpretation I think they did happen".

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
In my original post that started this discussion, I was using smart phone as a equivalent of cell phone. Do they even make non smart phones anymore?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

boner confessor posted:

Me, a genius "People need the internet to look for work, pay bills, etc and many people use smartphones as their main method of accessing it"

You, a moronic clod: "Bootstraps your way out of a crippling interwebs socill mediduh addiction!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

confronting addiction is never easy

why does it make you uncomfortable for me to point out smartphones are a luxury?

Because theres a good chance you are wrong. Your conviction and smug tone demonstrate an inability to think outside your box/life

• Locked thread