Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Still better then the 3DS' store.

Also, here's a screenshot of the untranslated songs in Gundam Versus:
https://twitter.com/GundamJoe/status/946837308191502337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbf I am yet to find a digital store front , which isn't browser based that isn't utter poo poo. And make no mistake PS store is still poo poo in a browser.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It's not like you're going to find a rare gem while looking through the storefront, just know what you're getting ahead of time and use the search feature. This applies for like everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The steam storefront is actually pretty nicely designed by contrast to the PS store imo. Except thanks to greenlight and now steam direct, 99% of what you will actually see on it is unfathomably indescribable poo poo that makes the platform pretty drat embarrassing to try to recommend to anyone who isn't familiar with it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Liver Disaster posted:

It's not like you're going to find a rare gem while looking through the storefront, just know what you're getting ahead of time and use the search feature. This applies for like everything.

Not really useful for when you want to find out what's on sale.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Steam content has gotten so bad they've recently removed a game specifically marketed towards paedophiles, after a backlash. There's no quality control or criteria whatsoever. You open the storepage up right now, it's full of anime weeaboo schoolgirl bullshit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Steam content has gotten so bad they've recently removed a game specifically marketed towards paedophiles, after a backlash. There's no quality control or criteria whatsoever. You open the storepage up right now, it's full of anime weeaboo schoolgirl bullshit.

that's a shame

thank god we have the ps4 which is known for not being anime

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

that's a shame

thank god we have the ps4 which is known for not being anime

Steam. The new Vita?

On topic. Persona 5 on sale. Should I?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

Steam. The new Vita?

On topic. Persona 5 on sale. Should I?

I don’t like JRPGs and I loving love it. The beginning is pretty slow but it’s worth sticking out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You can filter your tags to exclude anime, which is almost a necessity even if you play some anime games.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I can imagine that between the anime and JRPG that it might be a total turn off for some people. But in the absence of any factors like that, I’d say it’s one of the best things to end up on the PS4.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

You can filter your tags to exclude anime, which is almost a necessity even if you play some anime games.

I haven’t found the tagging to be effective at all. If I exclude something steam will just shove shovelware from other genres on me since if there’s thing steam isn’t running out of it’s shovelware.

Steam has definitely succeeded in making the whole storefront absolutely useless to me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It's okay, the gameplay is fun but simple and the story is a loving mess.

Persona 5 I mean.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
A good mess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The first arc yeah, after that ehhhhh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, I thought my Steam store was full of VNs because it's the Japanese region store, are you saying the others look like that too?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Policenaut posted:

I never realized how terrible PS4's in-console store was until I spent like an hour browsing around during the Christmas/Flash Sales trying to decide things. I went to like Skyrim VR, up to videos/screenshots, shifted over to Streams, clicked X, and the console hardlocked to the point I had to unplug it. In all the years I've owned a PS4 that's never happened to me before.

after browsing the store for a bit i pretty much have to hard power down my console for a minute to get it running properly again

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I thought my Steam store was full of VNs because it's the Japanese region store, are you saying the others look like that too?

yes

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

exquisite tea posted:

I've filtered out 'anime' 'rpg maker' and early access games. Seems to be working for the most part.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress looks at just the pure, unfiltered store? Steam sells almost every game on PC. Why would you look at that firehose?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I disagree that the quality that the drop is anywhere near that bad, but I’ll agree that the antagonist of the first arc hits a peak that the game doesn’t quite hit again for a while, possibly ever. I think that’s more a compliment to it than a slight against the rest though.

Plus I really liked the last fight.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Terrible Steam thread goes into this and it's crazier than what you would think. There are whole publishers whose entire business is ripping anime drawings from no name Japanese VNs and dumping them on steam.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

Who the gently caress looks at just the pure, unfiltered store? Steam sells almost every game on PC. Why would you look at that firehose?

It used to be pretty good at surfacing games that are worthwhile before they opened the floodgates.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair I am not really sure I would call Persona 5 a plot but more a series of events that happen with very little connection.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

It used to be pretty good at surfacing games that are worthwhile before they opened the floodgates.

It was a victim of its own success. Being an indie that got on Steam was a Big Deal in 2011 or so, so of course people wanted in on it. Instead of actually bothering to do their own quality control they crowdsourced it to Greenlight, which was awful. Instead of fixing it they said “gently caress it” and just tossed quality control entirely.

I’m thinking of getting a sports game. Steep, NHL18, or Golf Club 2?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont even think i would call it a game, its just some sprites and sounds you know

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

i dont even think i would call it a game, its just some sprites and sounds you know

Nah their are mechanics at play and it does them well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i never really had a problem with the steam store until i played the long dark, which is very fun and good, but also made the steam store decide i was interested in the literally countless "open world" "survival" games that are just asset dump garbage

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Rinkles posted:

Not really useful for when you want to find out what's on sale.

Use your wishlist so you're not tempted to buy things just because they're cheap.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair I am not really sure I would call Persona 5 a plot but more a series of events that happen with very little connection.

there is an ongoing theme to them. It plays out sort of like a tv-show. every month is a new episode with a different take on the subject and the last one is the season finale to tie it all up (in a properly crazy and asinine anime fashion)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Bombadilillo posted:

Have you tried to go on the store on ps3 recently? It like the same store with 15 year old tech. It takes 10s of seconds to scroll down on a page. It's awful

Was just about to post this. The PS4 Store is bad but the one on PS3 is an entire new level of hell.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Snak posted:

I remember back in 2005 when if a new game went on Steam it was a legit event :corsair:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I rebuilt my database and now I'm downloading every single patch again. Is that normal?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

I rebuilt my database and now I'm downloading every single patch again. Is that normal?

Were they completely installed, or were they just partially downloaded in pagefile limbo?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Possibly? They are all to games and apps I haven't played in a while. It says it is going to take 14 hours to finish.

Also, all those annoying icons like PS Now and Buy Destiny 2 popped up. Ew.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When I rebuilt my database, it allowed a bunch of stuff that previous was unable to be downloaded to install. Including an entire game. It didn't leave enough room to open an app, though, and I had to go delete some of it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Was just about to post this. The PS4 Store is bad but the one on PS3 is an entire new level of hell.

Anyone remember the launch era PS3 Store where it was literally a browser app?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Housh posted:

Possibly? They are all to games and apps I haven't played in a while. It says it is going to take 14 hours to finish.

Also, all those annoying icons like PS Now and Buy Destiny 2 popped up. Ew.

When you rebuild your database, every game becomes 'recently played'. The PS4 only auto patches recently played games.

You're grabbing patches you never had, that the ps4 never checked for before.

This is normal.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Snak posted:

When I rebuilt my database, it allowed a bunch of stuff that previous was unable to be downloaded to install. Including an entire game. It didn't leave enough room to open an app, though, and I had to go delete some of it.
That seems about right. Maybe I should stop some of this stuff and do some early spring cleaning. My Pro is close to full and I barely play games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Housh posted:

That seems about right. Maybe I should stop some of this stuff and do some early spring cleaning. My Pro is close to full and I barely play games.

See above.