Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
gently caress, the 0-coast is pure joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Any recommendations for a carrying case/bag for an Arturia Microbrute and a few pedals?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Not strictly synth but samplesfrommars are selling all their sample packs as a bundle for $39, normal cost is just shy of $1200!

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Stopped by guitar center today for a mixer and grabbed a Harbinger 5 channel by mistake, instead of that behringer 8 channel. I went ahead and tried it out because I already had it and there's crazy hissing with nothing plugged in if you turn it up past 50%. Gonna have to return this thing. I also grabbed a Pocket Operator Office and it fuckin rocks, so it wasn't a total bust.

I think the volcas output in mono? If that's the case would I be able to plug two of them into the l/r channels on one of these basic mixers and not run into problems? I'll have three sources with my current setup but don't want to limit myself if I decide to get a meatier synth in a year or two so I'm fine with dropping some extra cash for more inputs than I need right now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Not strictly synth but samplesfrommars are selling all their sample packs as a bundle for $39, normal cost is just shy of $1200!

Yeah I bought these last month and there’s actually some really useful stuff in there.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Stopped by guitar center today for a mixer and grabbed a Harbinger 5 channel by mistake, instead of that behringer 8 channel. I went ahead and tried it out because I already had it and there's crazy hissing with nothing plugged in if you turn it up past 50%. Gonna have to return this thing. I also grabbed a Pocket Operator Office and it fuckin rocks, so it wasn't a total bust.

I think the volcas output in mono? If that's the case would I be able to plug two of them into the l/r channels on one of these basic mixers and not run into problems? I'll have three sources with my current setup but don't want to limit myself if I decide to get a meatier synth in a year or two so I'm fine with dropping some extra cash for more inputs than I need right now.

Volca sample and FM are stereo. The others are mono but still output through TRS jacks.

I suppose it is technically possible to feed 2 of them in a L/R channel but then each will be stuck to only one side

e: basic mixers are cheap, don't be shy on the number of channels.

I use all 12 of mine. It adds fast when you also hook a computer and a return channel for effects

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 30, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I bought these last month and there’s actually some really useful stuff in there.

Any particularly highlights to download first?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can’t recall off the top of my head and don’t have my kit with me, sorry. I just remember twiddling with it a bit and thinking “hey I could use that”.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just got it. Real good stuff for just 30 quid.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Just a PSA: Don't use Harbingers. I used to work at an escape room that bought a couple for the mics in their rooms and over about a month of use they started to develop really terrible crosstalk across the entire board. The individual channels are really poorly isolated from each other.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

MockingQuantum posted:

Just a PSA: Don't use Harbingers. I used to work at an escape room that bought a couple for the mics in their rooms and over about a month of use they started to develop really terrible crosstalk across the entire board. The individual channels are really poorly isolated from each other.

Yeah I'm certainly gonna stay away from them after this. My brain confused it with behringer which is im assuming how they're still in business in the first place.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah I'm certainly gonna stay away from them after this. My brain confused it with behringer which is im assuming how they're still in business in the first place.

Yeah it's Guitar Center's cheapass mixer imprint, and definitely intended to trip people up in just this way. But I've had way fewer issues with Behringer mixers, even older bad-era Behringers.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

What the hell kind of company would use the name "Harbinger". I guess the answer is "one that doesn't totally understand english words".

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just grabbed a Zoom MS-70 off Reverb for $83, can't wait to throw that in front of my minilogue for sweet buttery ambient noise.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What are some good/great headphones that is both good with bleep bloops and durable? I see a couple Audio Technica MXs, but I got no idea about the quality. Can preferably take a 1/4 jack instead of 3.5mm. Not too uncomfortable for long periods.

Honestly, price is not a big issue (unless it's above 500 quid or some silliness).

Actually, recommend me studio-quality headphones. gently caress my wallet, tbh.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What are some good/great headphones that is both good with bleep bloops and durable? I see a couple Audio Technica MXs, but I got no idea about the quality. Can preferably take a 1/4 jack instead of 3.5mm. Not too uncomfortable for long periods.

Honestly, price is not a big issue (unless it's above 500 quid or some silliness).

Actually, recommend me studio-quality headphones. gently caress my wallet, tbh.

I always go back to the Sony MDR-7506, they're the NS10 of headphones. $hundo

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

What the hell kind of company would use the name "Harbinger". I guess the answer is "one that doesn't totally understand english words".

There are good harbingers too. A mixer is a harbinger of the music to be made with it

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm saving up for a pair of Meze headphones, which look cool to me and seem to get pretty good reviews. It's a fairly new company, so I rarely see them come up in headphone discussions. The standard advice is to get whatever Sennheiser/Audio-Technica will fit in your budget.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Startyde posted:

Best by test. I have a second pair for work.

But my mixing headphones (because apartment = no loud speakers) are some Senn HD 600s. Awfully comfy and I got a cut storm profile from Sonarworks for their Reference plugin.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Startyde posted:

SAE London had a whole load of these back when I studied there. Very reliable and honestly more comfortable than the old goliaths they had.

I feel like this is what I'll actually stick with in my mini-studio before I move onto something beefy like a Seinheiser 600.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't really care for the 7506s. They feel uncomfortable to me (though replacement earpads help) and I prefer the sound of just about any AT/Senn/Ultrasone pair in the same price range. Can't argue with how ubiquitous they are though. They're like the SM58 of headphones, you kind of always know what you hear in one pair will pretty much be what you hear in another.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

(though replacement earpads help)

This can't be quoted enough.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I could wear koss pro4aas 24 hours a day

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I think I've decided the next couple modules to get: https://www.tindie.com/stores/pmfoundations/ has a bunch of kits for straightforward utility modules (No components included on most of them, but still pretty cheap after adding those in). Probably will start with a couple of the dual VCAs and the mixer.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So as 2017 is ending, looking back, what were your best and worst additions to your studio?

For me, the best purchases have been knob-heavy hardware with immediate responsiveness that rewards experimentation... namely, the Sledge 2 and, even though I've only had it a few days, the 0-Coast. I really love looking at the Sledge and knowing how to pull whatever sound I want from it. Nothing is hidden away, it's all right in front of you: if you want a pad, twist these knobs and one magically appears. If you want a bass, twist these other knobs and one arrives, thick and funky. And on the other end of the spectrum, the 0-coast gives me knobs, but also, hidden insanity that bubbles below the surface. The right combination of patch cables gives me something cool, the wrong combination gives me something brilliant. It's a joyful playground I love loving with. I haven't been totally bitten by the modular bug yet, but we'll see how 2018 shapes out.

My worst purchase was probably the OP-1. I GAS'd hard for it and splurged my cash thinking it would be that one "thing" I was missing. It wasn't. It was a lovely piece of kit, but I could never get it to sound the way I wanted and it was esoteric enough to block, rather than liberate me. It ended up being a very expensive lump of metal on my desk so I flipped it for the Sledge and got instantly happier and more productive. Thankfully the girl I sold it to is overjoyed with it, so while I didn't gel with it, it's made someone else very happy.

For 2018, I want to keep my rig stable for a while and see how NAMM pans out. I might add a Lyra 8 to it tho, and I have a Behringer Model D on pre-order because, well, who hasn't?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess my best 2017 purchases would be my Neumann TLM 103 and a bunch of UAD plugins. Honestly every drat one of the UAD plugs is now my best plugin for whatever class of thing it is. poo poo's expensive, but it just sounds amazing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh wait, this is the synth thread. I should have a more synthy answer. I reckon it'd be Serum then.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I think I bought my ASR-X this year so that. It’s just a nice hardware sampler that I don’t find a pain to use.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I guess my best 2017 purchases would be my Neumann TLM 103 and a bunch of UAD plugins. Honestly every drat one of the UAD plugs is now my best plugin for whatever class of thing it is. poo poo's expensive, but it just sounds amazing.

Word, I'd count an Apollo and every plug I've bought this year as my best purchases. Was running with an old Layla24 for way too long.
Today's the last day of their wacky sale, I had to get the korg delay

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I hear V6s have a marginally warmer tone than the 7506s, will that affect mixing much or are they pretty much the same? I ask because the V6s are :10bux: less and I'm a cheapskate so

On a similar note, what's a good entry level amplifier? I just have a Microbrute right now and would like something I can play out loud on. Idk, I'm simple and easy to satisfy and not good at synths yet!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I hear V6s have a marginally warmer tone than the 7506s, will that affect mixing much or are they pretty much the same? I ask because the V6s are :10bux: less and I'm a cheapskate so

On a similar note, what's a good entry level amplifier? I just have a Microbrute right now and would like something I can play out loud on. Idk, I'm simple and easy to satisfy and not good at synths yet!!

Everything I’ve read tells me that guitar amps are best for guitars and keyboard amps aren’t as good as a solid pair of monitors at home and PA speakers live.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Overall, my best additions would be my old Roland SC-55MkII, SC-88Pro and SC-8850, even though their combined value would have equated to a minilogue, but I honestly couldn't say no to them, even if they're just sound modules and not real synths.

Worst addition would be the Behringer Xenyx802 to mix those with my miniKorg and even then, I'm just unhappy with it heating up so much, so it's not so bad. Just had to buy it a cheap elevation surface thingy which was 10 quid.

Having both Ableton and Cubase was a big plus. Got a whole bunch of sample libraries and VSTs too.

MockingQuantum posted:

I think I may be the only person on the planet who doesn't really care for the 7506s. They feel uncomfortable to me (though replacement earpads help) and I prefer the sound of just about any AT/Senn/Ultrasone pair in the same price range. Can't argue with how ubiquitous they are though. They're like the SM58 of headphones, you kind of always know what you hear in one pair will pretty much be what you hear in another.

Already bought two pair of replacements for it already. I remember from collage days they were not that comfortable, since they actually

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

the v6s are red so theyre better :eng101:

i have an old peavey bass amp i grabbed from craigs and its so fukken gr8 the headphone jacks jacked and idgaf it feels really good when i dial in some mad boneshaking drones though :)

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Everything I’ve read tells me that guitar amps are best for guitars and keyboard amps aren’t as good as a solid pair of monitors at home and PA speakers live.

While guitar amps/speakers are essential for the sound, keyboard amps are strictly
- In an instrumental band and no one else wants to chip in on PA for rehersals
- ”Hey dude, our instrumental/one man grindcore band is playing the local pizzeria next weekend. There`s no PA, do you still have that piece of poo poo combo?”

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Happy New Year synth nerds. Figured now's the perfect time to lock in that 'Best Album of 2018' monicker for at least the nest 20 seconds:

https://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/album/disciples-of-euclid-part-1

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So Behringer teased a new board. Some say it's a 2600, others say it's a totally new semi-modular synth.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been having a ton of fun toying around with the 2600V from Arturia and I'd absolutely love a good semi-modular physical synth.

Preferably something with two or more oscillators or an lfo with an insane range, because audio rate modulation is too much fun :toot:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
you could just build a eurorack, op :getin:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody used an Artiphon Instrument 1? I'm more of a guitarist than keyboardist so it's super intriguing to me, but not the kind of thing I'd feel comfortable impulse-buying without some good reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody used an Artiphon Instrument 1? I'm more of a guitarist than keyboardist so it's super intriguing to me, but not the kind of thing I'd feel comfortable impulse-buying without some good reviews.

All I know about it is from the RMR video. As a native guitarist, I was interested for a few minutes, but then figured why get that when I can continue saving for a Linnstrument? Maybe the Artiphon will appeal to me in a few revisions time, but right now it looks plasticy and the strum buttons look poor. 400 bucks is also a lot to pay for that sort of toy, and there is quality and expressiveness out the wazoo with the Linnstrument.