Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Saxondale was great, as much as enjoy the whacky adventures of Alan it'd be great if he tried a new character or reworked some of the ones he did with his Run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Saxondale was great, as much as enjoy the whacky adventures of Alan it'd be great if he tried a new character or reworked some of the ones he did with his Run.

Saxondale didn't do very well did it? I get the impression that he does Alan now because that's where the money is.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Taear posted:

Saxondale didn't do very well did it? I get the impression that he does Alan now because that's where the money is.

I gently caress'n loved saxondale. but yeah, it really didn't have the appeal of alan partridge

it's not really uk anymore, but it's still brooker, Black Mirror season 4 is up on netflix now. first episode is great.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, super fun show (despite it being weird nobody really mentioned Chris Morris beyond a few name checks. It’s a shame they didn’t keep the talking heads there and make this a multi part show and cover the whole of that 90s Radio/BBC 2 era of Armando and Morris comedy). Still remember being about 12 and tuning into KMKY and Day Today for their first episodes and loving every second of Partridge from then on.

If Vic and Bobs Big Night Out special is good too, I’m happy with just these 2 things for Xmas TV to be honest.
Also kind of gutted that they didn't get Richard Herring and Stewart Lee on there just to continue to claim that they were the ones who invented Alan Partridge, but they both really dislike Patrick Marber

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Also kind of gutted that they didn't get Richard Herring and Stewart Lee on there just to continue to claim that they were the ones who invented Alan Partridge, but they both really dislike Patrick Marber

They do? What's the story there?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

They do? What's the story there?

They’re kind of half joking, but Lee and Herring wrote the first Partridge sketches on On The Hour, so technically they invented the character. However, at that point Alan was basically just “exaggerated sport commentator voice” instead of any kind of real character, so they didn’t really.

It seems like there was a bit of animosity between them and Iannucci about it for a while, but they made up ages ago, though Richard still jokes about it on his podcast sometimes.

Also, in general, for some reason both L&H think that Patrick Marber is a knob, and (this bit is my speculation) that may have had something to do with them not getting to write on The Day Today.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 29, 2017

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Stewart lee’s a oval office and people he works with always end up telling him to gently caress off

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, in general, for some reason both L&H think that Patrick Marber is a knob, and (this bit is my speculation) that may have had something to do with them not getting to write on The Day Today.

To be fair, Marber has often been cited as difficult to work with, even by his friends, so it really wouldn't surprise me.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

DrVenkman posted:

To be fair, Marber has often been cited as difficult to work with, even by his friends, so it really wouldn't surprise me.

It wouldn’t surprise me. He must be pretty bitter, given that he wrote an Oscar winning film and yet didn’t manage to turn that momentum into a successful career. He’s a funny guy, but doesn’t seem to have made the most of his talents at all.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SEX BURRITO posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me. He must be pretty bitter, given that he wrote an Oscar winning film and yet didn’t manage to turn that momentum into a successful career. He’s a funny guy, but doesn’t seem to have made the most of his talents at all.

I believe he does a bit of uncredited work. He was handpicked to work on 50 SHADES OF GREY and turned in a script that everyone liked, except for the author of the book who caused a massive fit and told the studio that if they don't keep her words exactly as is from the book then she'll publically disavow the movie. Suffice to say she got her way, but Marber still got a nice little payday from it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm watching the Tim Vine programme, it's physically painful, and not in the good way.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Total Meatlove posted:

Stewart lee’s a oval office and people he works with always end up telling him to gently caress off

Erm, like who? He seems to have worked with a lot of the same people more than once, so he can't have made that many enemies.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goatface posted:

I'm watching the Tim Vine programme, it's physically painful, and not in the good way.

I honestly thought when it started that it was some kind of piss take, but it just kept going :stare:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was worse than a children's programme.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven’t purposely watch Night at the Apollo pretty much ever, but thought I’d leave the TV on after the Vic and Bob thing and wow. Katherine Ryan never too bad and the first guy on was fine enough for his short set, but the last guy and this headliner are something else when it comes to being insanely unfunny.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The depressed guy was very unfunny, the last guy was just weird and not really funny weird.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I watched about 20 minutes of Romesh Ranganathan last night before Alpha Papa came on and I can't believe people are paying that man to do comedy.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

crispix posted:

I watched about 20 minutes of Romesh Ranganathan last night before Alpha Papa came on and I can't believe people are paying that man to do comedy.

He’s a very panel show comedian. He’s good at being quite snappy and cynical. But drat he’s terrible at stand up. I have no idea how he got a break.

DrVenkman posted:

I believe he does a bit of uncredited work. He was handpicked to work on 50 SHADES OF GREY and turned in a script that everyone liked, except for the author of the book who caused a massive fit and told the studio that if they don't keep her words exactly as is from the book then she'll publically disavow the movie. Suffice to say she got her way, but Marber still got a nice little payday from it.

This is amazing. 50 Shades has the most cringey dialogue I’ve ever heard, so I’m imagining it with a Marber style.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
edit: poo poo, nm.

Also Katherine Ryan's face is melting.

Oben fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 30, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having read some of 50 Shades, I’m not surprised she threw a poo poo fit over someone taking her prose that reeked of being written by a 14 year old and making it legible. drat, that movie might’ve had a point of existing with a Marber script, it’s quite sad to read that.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

Have you seen that Twitter ad with him in? It was so unexpected to see Twitter advertising that I thought initially it was an ad for a TV show.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Having read some of 50 Shades, I’m not surprised she threw a poo poo fit over someone taking her prose that reeked of being written by a 14 year old and making it legible. drat, that movie might’ve had a point of existing with a Marber script, it’s quite sad to read that.

Yeah that would have been something to watch, alright.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

Have you seen that Twitter ad with him in? It was so unexpected to see Twitter advertising that I thought initially it was an ad for a TV show.

I saw that and was thoroughly confused. Why the gently caress does Twitter need tv advertising? They get mentioned in every current affairs type programme and every loving newspaper. It's not as if they're out if the public eye.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can’t lose classics such as ‘if you were mine you wouldn’t be able to sit down for a week’ or ‘you’re not putting those in my butt.’

Watching those movies with incredibly drunk middle aged women was just magical.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It did in the UK on Blu-ray. I think it might be region free so importable. Why it wasn’t on the US release, who knows.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Vic and Bob's Ed Sheeran was the funniest three seconds of the entire year

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

goatface posted:

I saw that and was thoroughly confused. Why the gently caress does Twitter need tv advertising? They get mentioned in every current affairs type programme and every loving newspaper. It's not as if they're out if the public eye.

They're still not making money though. Maybe an ad campaign will fix it?
I watched Star Wars, forgot to look for Ade, missed him. I believe you guys though!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SEX BURRITO posted:

He’s a very panel show comedian. He’s good at being quite snappy and cynical. But drat he’s terrible at stand up. I have no idea how he got a break.

I think this is the big thing to take note of when trying to watch someone do standup. There's been a clear rise in the 'panel comedian' over the last decade. The Jimmy Carr's, Phil Jupitus's, David Mitchell's and Frankie Boyle's. They're all brilliant and funny on a heavily edited panel show that's got some pre-written snappy banter, but stick em on stage for an hour and they're poo poo because none of them know how to write a decent one hour long show.

That's the biggest difference when i've gone to see folk i'd consider to be good standups, they've all got this tightly choreographed hour long 'funny story' that they trick you into thinking isn't scripted at all.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Which reminded me that it's a drat shame that there is no more Modern Life is Goodish.

Thankfully I have tickets to see Dave Gorman live next year, so that will give me my fill

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think there's a place that a lot of tv comics fall in, where they're solid to amazing in the 5-15 minute set - which is what a lot of the circuit involves - but can't transition to the off-the-cuff-quip panel system or the hour-long, arena-tour format. They can tell a long story with a few digressions, but not bridge their group of stories together to a cohesive whole.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I quite like romesh

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
You also have to consider the people who think that comic actor = stand up comic

They are not the same thing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Yeah there are people who will laugh at any old thing you put in front of them so long as you tell them beforehand that it is comedy. The people who love a laugh but have absolutely no sense of humour. They are responsible for Tim Vine's ratings and keep Michael McIntyre and John Bishop in jobs :laugh:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A Christmas Carol Gone Wrong is a lot more charming than it ought to be...

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kin posted:

I think this is the big thing to take note of when trying to watch someone do standup. There's been a clear rise in the 'panel comedian' over the last decade. The Jimmy Carr's, Phil Jupitus's, David Mitchell's and Frankie Boyle's. They're all brilliant and funny on a heavily edited panel show that's got some pre-written snappy banter, but stick em on stage for an hour and they're poo poo because none of them know how to write a decent one hour long show.

That's the biggest difference when i've gone to see folk i'd consider to be good standups, they've all got this tightly choreographed hour long 'funny story' that they trick you into thinking isn't scripted at all.

Stand up up is just a matter of taste. I think Frankie Boyle's last couple have been the best specials by a British comedian in recent years and Jimmy Carr's was like a work of art made up of one liners even though he pisses me off on the telly.

I also think Romesh Ranganathan is going to go on to be really funny but he's an example of someone who's clawed out a decent sized audience for himself through podcasts and the occasional panel show and can now just afford to play to them rather having to be broad enough to hopefully sell enough DVD's to generic comedy fans to make a living.

It's cool that comedians can easily get to the point where they can release specials by doing their own thing now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

They're still not making money though. Maybe an ad campaign will fix it?
I watched Star Wars, forgot to look for Ade, missed him. I believe you guys though!

You don't need to look for him, he's not a cameo. He's centre screen for absolutely ages looking the exact same he always has but with a hat on.
Seriously how can you miss him?!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's the hat.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah it's tough to see him without the mohawk

(probably, i don't watch star wars)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I haven't noticed him, too. A hat can really change a person.

But the film also wasn't that good, so I might have not paid full attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tortuga posted:

Stand up up is just a matter of taste. I think Frankie Boyle's last couple have been the best specials by a British comedian in recent years and Jimmy Carr's was like a work of art made up of one liners even though he pisses me off on the telly.

I also think Romesh Ranganathan is going to go on to be really funny but he's an example of someone who's clawed out a decent sized audience for himself through podcasts and the occasional panel show and can now just afford to play to them rather having to be broad enough to hopefully sell enough DVD's to generic comedy fans to make a living.

It's cool that comedians can easily get to the point where they can release specials by doing their own thing now.

It’s not cool that garbage comedians who don’t even have a stand up act can leapfrog all the other comedians who are actually good, by virtue of having randomly been chosen to appear on every panel show ever.

So many funny people never get on TV, and these 10 or so people are on everything, always.