Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ilberd: I would sooner cut off my own arm than raise a hand against a friend.

everything is terrible

Welcome to Heavensward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

TFRazorsaw posted:

everything is terrible

It's great isn't it. You thought carrying the bodies of your fallen comrades was bad.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How's WHM compared to SCH at 70? I've got both at 50 and I really like having fairies and a DPS class built in, but I feel like WHM has a lot more that it can do with all its regens and AoE heals.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

How's WHM compared to SCH at 70? I've got both at 50 and I really like having fairies and a DPS class built in, but I feel like WHM has a lot more that it can do with all its regens and AoE heals.

They're both good healing classes. WHM has more raw healing output (especially AoE), but lacks SCH's mitigation tools and utility. I find SCH more fun because there's a lot of resource management and positioning involved in playing them properly.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Doing the 4.1 MSQ, watched the Fordola flashback, and uh,

Why did we want to save Ala Mhigo again? These people are huge assholes. I remember all that busywork Little Ala Mhigo made me do, and the whole Griffon episode too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rastan Beeza posted:

Why did we want to save Ala Mhigo again? These people are huge assholes.

Being forced to live in squalid conditions as a refugee where everyone hates you, or under the thumb of a brutal foreign power that puts psychopaths on the throne and conducts regular campaigns of excessive taxation, forced labour, and rape, tends to make people less than hospitable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

everything is terrible

Hold on to your lily-white butt, it's a ride all the way to the finish. :unsmigghh:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hell, the only reason the Eorzean Alliance came to be in the first place was in response to further Garlean expansion after they took Ala Mhigo. It's not that nobody ever gave a rat's rear end about the plight of Ala Mhigo but it wasn't enough to move against the Garlean occupation.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vermain posted:

Being forced to live in squalid conditions as a refugee where everyone hates you, or under the thumb of a brutal foreign power that puts psychopaths on the throne and conducts regular campaigns of excessive taxation, forced labour, and rape, tends to make people less than hospitable.

Also in the same cutscene: a grunt soldier who's all like 'shouldn't we do something?' and his superior officer going 'nah, here's the official line about us not interfering with the internal politics of our subjects oh by the way it keeps them docile to let them vent against each other every once in awhile.'

The Ala Mhigan's anger is justified but it's directed at the wrong target (just as planned.)
The Garleans are pretty good at being Roman.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i dunno about fighting games where he's apparently the voice of god or whatever, but sirlin got into board game design a while back and he's a huuuuuuge piece of poo poo in that space, so gently caress him

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nobody likes his fight games stuff either

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
that's legitimately heartening to hear

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Seriously though, I'm glad Teledji is dead.

Now let's hope Lolorito is next.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

TFRazorsaw posted:

everything is terrible

I've been waiting for this post from you. Congrats, you're through the worst part of the game. It's all good poo poo like this from here to 70.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Reiterpallasch posted:

i dunno about fighting games where he's apparently the voice of god or whatever, but sirlin got into board game design a while back and he's a huuuuuuge piece of poo poo in that space, so gently caress him

Sirlin really would like you to believe very much that he's an authority on fighting games, but we think he's a piece of poo poo too, don't worry

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Sade posted:

I've been waiting for this post from you. Congrats, you're through the worst part of the game. It's all good poo poo like this from here to 70.

I mean it was emotional and heart breaking but I was highly entertained

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What's tanking like in this game for someone that comes from WoW? Is there active mitigation? Do people in random groups expect you to go as fast as possible and meltdown instantly if you seem lost?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All your important mitigation is active or cooldown based. Optimal play will have you in your dps stance as much as possible, but that's not actually important for 95% of the games content so if you're unsure of that you can stay safe in defensive stance. Most people won't care or even notice. There are assholes everywhere but in general you can't get lost so if you pay attention to mechanics it's easy on new tanks.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dongattack posted:

What's tanking like in this game for someone that comes from WoW? Is there active mitigation? Do people in random groups expect you to go as fast as possible and meltdown instantly if you seem lost?

Tanking in this game is arguably the easiest role. As long as you maintain a threat lead on everything and know how to use your cooldowns you'll be golden. There are certain elements of the metagame where it may be assumed that you should grab every group of mobs up until the nearest wall before having the DPS burn them down, but usually just telling people it's your first time is enough to get them to understand and maybe ease off the gas a bit.

Generally, I don't think people mind the careful pulls in leveling content, since your party's gear levels may be vastly different from each other. Once you're into level capped content (of all caps, i.e. 50, 60, and 70) there is more of an emphasis on speed runs, but that's mostly because people are trying to maximize their rewards per hour.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Leofish posted:

Tanking in this game is arguably the easiest role. As long as you maintain a threat lead on everything and know how to use your cooldowns you'll be golden. There are certain elements of the metagame where it may be assumed that you should grab every group of mobs up until the nearest wall before having the DPS burn them down, but usually just telling people it's your first time is enough to get them to understand and maybe ease off the gas a bit.

Generally, I don't think people mind the careful pulls in leveling content, since your party's gear levels may be vastly different from each other. Once you're into level capped content (of all caps, i.e. 50, 60, and 70) there is more of an emphasis on speed runs, but that's mostly because people are trying to maximize their rewards per hour.

Really? I can’t think of much that’s uniquely challenging about DPS, especially ranged DPS. Thornmarch Extreme is one of the few times I can think of where you can totally gently caress your team over. It’s relatively low-pressure, too, since there’s so many of you.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You'll also need to pay a bigger share of your attention to threat than in WoW though, moreso at lower levels. At higher levels you get more options for threat multipliers, so you can establish a nice threat lead and coast on that, while doing higher-damage things that don't have threat multipliers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Darth Walrus posted:

Really? I can’t think of much that’s uniquely challenging about DPS, especially ranged DPS. Thornmarch Extreme is one of the few times I can think of where you can totally gently caress your team over. It’s relatively low-pressure, too, since there’s so many of you.

It's easier for Tanks to dodge things because they're right there and are already thinking about dodging things because they are Tanks and it's what they should be doing.

For DPS they have to not only do good DPS (so that things die timely) they also have to dodge things and they have to not fall to tunnel vision. For Ranged DPS they also have the most party utility Role Actions so that's another thing for them to keep an eye on.

It's lower pressure sure (because it's easy to know when tanks/healers are buggering up) but when you get into an instance where you have two braindead DPS and bosses take FOR FREAKING EVER to die... It's absolutely horrible. And you have to be careful about blaming the DPS for sucking because they tend to make up the majority of the party!

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

Being a lovely DPS is definitely something that flies under the radar compared to the other roles. But your (properly executed) rotations are often more complex(Ex: Dragoon, Summoner) or your classes gimmick itself is more complex while your rotation is simple(Bard,) in comparison to Tanks or Healers, that makes playing peak DPS more rough than the other roles while dealing with encounter mechanics. This of course comes with a big loving asterisk. Some classes have incredibly low skill ceilings(Red Mage.) Some have incredibly higher FLOORS, nevermind the ceilings(Machinist.) Some live or die on itemization, while the rest aren't really affected by specific substats beyond the extreme top tier. Take crit away from a Bard and they aren't doing much for example, as a considerable chunk of their DPS is tied to proc mechanics based off critical DoT ticks. This is also of course not considering the utility skills packed in to most DPS classes that raise the overall effectiveness of the party, and how important it is to time those skills appropriately.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 30, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

It's only low pressure because everybody is too terrified of calling out bad DPS for fear they'll be accused of parse-shaming, and most DPS checks in this game are pretty lenient. Doing actually good DPS can get fairly complicated depending on the job and the fight.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Speaking of tanks, how are they currently? Last I heard, Warrior was in a bad state. I currently have WAR and PLD at 60 and I'm wondering if I should level DRK instead? My tank job is only really used for roulettes.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Note Block posted:

Speaking of tanks, how are they currently? Last I heard, Warrior was in a bad state. I currently have WAR and PLD at 60 and I'm wondering if I should level DRK instead? My tank job is only really used for roulettes.

Outside of Progression raiding, they're all good. Inside of that, Dark Knight currently hurts bad. It's not impossible, as we've seen, but Warrior and especially Paladin, just bring way more to the table. It'd be all about double Paladin stack if it wasn't for the hit to LB generation. If you're just using it for roulettes and actually want to play it, Dark Knight is currently the shining star of dungeons in my opinion. They just put out crazy AoE damage.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 30, 2017

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Re: Sirlin, Yomi is a lot of fun and Playing to Win is a good read if you intend on competing at any serious level.

As far as whether or not I'd like to spend time with the guy, pass.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Tanking and DPSing are relaxing-ish, since outside of Savage almost all of the pressure to improve is going to be from yourself. Healing isn't bad in dungeons either, though it's obvious when you screw up.

Savage healing is where you go to publicly humiliate yourself and spend hours planning ability uses in spreadsheets so that maybe you can get more than two minutes into a fight. :unsmigghh:

edit: then you can worry about optimizing DPS and minimizing GCD heal use on SCH/maximizing card uptime on AST :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
savage healing really isn't as bad as savage dpsing, it's just plainly obvious when you screw up

Jenrai posted:

Re: Sirlin, Yomi is a lot of fun and Playing to Win is a good read if you intend on competing at any serious level.

As far as whether or not I'd like to spend time with the guy, pass.

in the board-games-that-are-fighting-games genre yomi's not as fun as battlecon, sakura arms, exceed, or (gently caress it) the penny arcade game, and also apparently fun is orthogonal to competitive gaming???

it is, however, probably his best design that isn't blatantly ripped off of somebody else with no attribution or acknowledgement, so it's a step up from puzzle strike i guess.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Note Block posted:

Let me put it this way. The current hardest content in the game is the Ultimate Coil of Bahamut. The rewards are cosmetic and it's balls-to-the-wall hard - took the most dedicated people a bit under two weeks of constant attempts. The first group to beat it had a Dark Knight main tank. When asked why he played DRK instead of PLD, he said "because it's fun."

I mean, it just doesn't matter. Play what you enjoy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Tanking and DPSing are relaxing-ish, since outside of Savage almost all of the pressure to improve is going to be from yourself. Healing isn't bad in dungeons either, though it's obvious when you screw up.

Savage healing is where you go to publicly humiliate yourself and spend hours planning ability uses in spreadsheets so that maybe you can get more than two minutes into a fight. :unsmigghh:

edit: then you can worry about optimizing DPS and minimizing GCD heal use on SCH/maximizing card uptime on AST :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

I think that overstates savage healing or I guess at least in current content. I'm by no means a healer who does that and I can pretty reliably heal through most savage content as long as I don't bum up the mechanics. Maybe ultimate. That stuff I'm not even looking at.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Seriously though, I'm glad Teledji is dead.

Teledjii sure wanted to believe he was a cut above Garlemald, but in the end his section of the story was little more than slice of life before he had to split.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Teledjii sure wanted to believe he was a cut above Garlemald, but in the end his section of the story was little more than slice of life before he had to split.

You really need to cut that out. You're coming up short.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you still need to do MSQ up to a point to unlock HW classes?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Skaw posted:

Some have incredibly higher FLOORS, nevermind the ceilings(Machinist.)

Wouldn't that just mean they can just face roll and do tons of damage? Or is that acutallly what you mean?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

Do you still need to do MSQ up to a point to unlock HW classes?

Yes. Access to Ishgard, and therefore the classes there, is gated behind completing the ARR 2.x MSQ.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rip, i just want to throw cards at people

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

itskage posted:

Wouldn't that just mean they can just face roll and do tons of damage? Or is that acutallly what you mean?

Nah, high floor. It has a larger expectation of the player just to get started on the basic level. MCH is probably the hardest class to wrap your head around, put the abilities together, and perform at an acceptable level.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 30, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They realized their mistake, it's just too hard to go back and rewrite all the drat quest strings they would need to in order to either move the level 30 trainers out of Ishgard or let you in before the appropriate point in the MSQ. Despite how little sense it makes at least the trainers for the SB jobs are in Ul'dah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm doing the Manderville in front of the throne room in Ul'dah.

COME AND GET ME, ASSHOLES