Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I just throw a dry towel over the vent, works perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Disco Salmon posted:

Little late but I did read of people using PVC pipe elbow to fit over the steam release valve and redirect the steam. I'm actually looking into doing this myself!
I would be wary of using pvc, it will probably soften/melt at the temperatures the evacuating steam can achieve.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I've used heavy duty aluminum foil to redirect steam a few times now; works pretty well! And I can mold it into any shape I need it to be.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mainly I use a kitchen towel for venting steam. Position the vent so it's away from you and then put the towel on the lid far enough so it's not gonna block anything but close enough that the steam hits it and absorbs or deflects. I always have a towel on hand is a positive there. Ymmv.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Carillon posted:

Mainly I use a kitchen towel for venting steam. Position the vent so it's away from you and then put the towel on the lid far enough so it's not gonna block anything but close enough that the steam hits it and absorbs or deflects. I always have a towel on hand is a positive there. Ymmv.

That also works well when you release the vent too early, and instead of a font of steam, you get a font of chai shooting out.

Note to self - the chai came out fantastic, but take the extra 10 mins or so to let some of the pressure release manually.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Got an Instant Pot a while back, and just never got around to really using it much. I made clams in white wine broth last night though for Xmas Eve dinner and my god, they were the best clams ever. They all opened and perfectly cooked.

Color me impressed, and I will be using it a lot more from now on. I'm making mashed potatoes in it today, so those should be good too, hopefully :) I can't wait to see how hambone and split pea soup is in that thing...its a tradition for us to make that over New Years.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
How long did you cook the clams? That's a great loving idea :pervert:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

How long did you cook the clams? That's a great loving idea :pervert:

I have the instant pot 8qt...I threw in a mess of minced garlic, .5-1 cup white wine, a bottle of clam juice, 2 cups chicken broth, bay leaf and other herbs, and put a steamer basket in, the clams were out of the liquid. I did 4# of the small manila steamer clams (I actually could have put more in I think. Probably another pound or two) for 4 minutes on manual high pressure, making sure to turn vent to seal...then when it was finished I did a quick release. Not all at once, I did a gradual so moved the vent to QR slightly with a towel and let it hiss, then moved it a bit more, until it was totally done. I was trying to avoid the splatter etc that some people say happens with QR.Took the clams out and ladled the broth over the bowls. All ready to serve with crusty bread...so so good.

I am still shocked...every single one of the suckers opened. My husband is not a big seafood person... he likes fish but not shellfish so much. He went back for seconds on these :)

Next, I am going to have to try doing some shrimp/etc in there as well and see how that goes. If anything like the clams? I'm gonna be thrilled....

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2017

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Disco Salmon posted:

I have the instant pot 8qt...I threw in a mess of minced garlic, .5-1 cup white wine, a bottle of clam juice, 2 cups chicken broth, bay leaf and other herbs, and put a steamer basket in, the clams were out of the liquid. I did 4# of the small manila steamer clams (I actually could have put more in I think. Probably another pound or two) for 4 minutes on manual high pressure, making sure to turn vent to seal...then when it was finished I did a quick release. Not all at once, I did a gradual so moved the vent to QR slightly with a towel and let it hiss, then moved it a bit more, until it was totally done. I was trying to avoid the splatter etc that some people say happens with QR.Took the clams out and ladled the broth over the bowls. All ready to serve with crusty bread...so so good.

I am still shocked...every single one of the suckers opened. My husband is not a big seafood person... he likes fish but not shellfish so much. He went back for seconds on these :)

Next, I am going to have to try doing some shrimp/etc in there as well and see how that goes. If anything like the clams? I'm gonna be thrilled....

That sounds awesome! I'd have been worried they'd over cook so I don't know if I'd have been brave enough to try that out, but it sounds like they came out awesome. I should definitely give it a try myself then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would just cook clams in a normal stovetop. It's done in like 10 minutes. Or just cook it on saute in the Instant Pot with a glass lid.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 27, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I got an instant pot for Xmas, and I'm planning on breaking it in with Alton Brown's pressure cooker chili, since Alton Brown rarely steers me wrong. However, the recipe is for a more traditional pressure cooker and mentions waiting until the steam is heavy, then reducing the heat until the steam is at a dull whistle. What's a good way to translate this over to the instant pot?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I've found little need to go crazy adjusting recipes for the instant pot. I would just go with the built-in meat/stew setting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I got an instant pot for Xmas, and I'm planning on breaking it in with Alton Brown's pressure cooker chili, since Alton Brown rarely steers me wrong. However, the recipe is for a more traditional pressure cooker and mentions waiting until the steam is heavy, then reducing the heat until the steam is at a dull whistle. What's a good way to translate this over to the instant pot?

Per the comments, just put the pot on meat / stew for the 25 minutes suggested.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I’m a little tired (and maybe also envious?) of all the instant pot chat, so I would just like to share my love for my WMF Perfect Pro stovetop pressure cooker. Particularly aimed at any euro-goons looking to buy a pressure cooker, this is German engineering at its finest.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
we got an instant pot for christmas despite me saying it was a bad idea, the thing just steams constantly extremely loudly even with the steam vent in sealing. Did we break it some how already?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ulmont posted:

Per the comments, just put the pot on meat / stew for the 25 minutes suggested.

Welp, thanks! For some reason the comments won't load on my phone.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

we got an instant pot for christmas despite me saying it was a bad idea, the thing just steams constantly extremely loudly even with the steam vent in sealing. Did we break it some how already?

1) Make sure the valve is all the way closed
2) Check the silicone sealing ring on the lid. There’s a metal ring it fits around, if the silicone ring gets dislodged from the metal one it can lead to what you’re describing

It should vent some steam while coming to pressure, but once the pressure indicator pops up it should be silent until you release the valve.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

1) Make sure the valve is all the way closed
2) Check the silicone sealing ring on the lid. There’s a metal ring it fits around, if the silicone ring gets dislodged from the metal one it can lead to what you’re describing

It should vent some steam while coming to pressure, but once the pressure indicator pops up it should be silent until you release the valve.

thanks it must have been the valve because we turned it off and fiddled with it and now its working. Second question, I normally do carnitas in a slow cooker and it turns out really great. Anyone do carnitas in their instant pot? Have a good recipe for it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Probably the same recipe but less time.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
the instant pot is great because apparently i can still use it after slicing off the tip of my pinky with my fancy new christmas knives although the steam release could be easier to operate with the end of a wooden spoon clenched in your teeth while you keep pressure on the cut. 9/10 will adobo again.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thanks it must have been the valve because we turned it off and fiddled with it and now its working. Second question, I normally do carnitas in a slow cooker and it turns out really great. Anyone do carnitas in their instant pot? Have a good recipe for it?
1.5-3lbs of pork shoulder
Cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, oregano, salt and black pepper for a dry rub
Slice an onion and lay it in the bottom, then put the pork on top
Add 3-4 smashed garlic cloves and a couple bay leaves
Then the braising liquid is 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup orange juice, a dash of fish sauce, and a dash of apple cider vinegar.

Cook on high pressure for an hour, natural pressure release.
Take out pork and shred. Boil down the sauce in the pot until it’s reduced to a half cup. Put the pork back in and toss to coat.

Optional, you can spread it all out on a sheet pan and broil it to give it some crispy bits.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I ended up getting an Instant Pot for Christmas. I'm thinking of converting my slow cooker spaghetti sauce recipe to a pressure cooker.

I don't think I need to change much other than adding less wine and skipping the part where I drain the tomatoes, unless someone can advise me that I need more extra liquid than I think?

But my real concern is that I usually saute some celery, grated carrot and mushrooms with the onion and garlic in the original recipe and throw that in with the meat at the beginning. I've read that vegetables can become really mushy if they are overlooked in the pressure cooker. Would you advise me to throw those in at the end, or am I overthinking this and it won't be an issue in a sauce anyways?

EDIT: Just realized the same issue comes with my slow cooker pot roast which I usually cook on top a later of mushrooms.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 30, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i cant believe the thing has a cake button

I wish I had one of these when I was a student and lived in dorms and didn't have a stove and oven

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
We get a CSA box every week and sometimes (everytime) we get behind on cooking. Does anyone have any recommendations for generic vegetable stew recipes we can use to just throw a bunch of stuff in there and get it done?

We have a lot of root vegetables and their associated greens at moment. I'm about to just go with some vegetable stew recipe that calls for similar ingredients and substitute them out, but I'm not familiar with things like water balance for additional vegetables, how long to cook greens vs. kohlrabi, etc. I'm assuming I can just saute some stuff then mix it all in and go.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm trying to make the chili I posted earlier in my instant pot, but the float valve isn't going up and it's not really becoming pressurized. Any advice? Should I just try "pressure Cook" instead of the meat / stew setting? I'm fairly sure I have the sealing ring in there properly. I ran it for 25 minutes anyways and the meat definitely isn't fully cooked.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Kudaros posted:

We get a CSA box every week and sometimes (everytime) we get behind on cooking. Does anyone have any recommendations for generic vegetable stew recipes we can use to just throw a bunch of stuff in there and get it done?

We have a lot of root vegetables and their associated greens at moment. I'm about to just go with some vegetable stew recipe that calls for similar ingredients and substitute them out, but I'm not familiar with things like water balance for additional vegetables, how long to cook greens vs. kohlrabi, etc. I'm assuming I can just saute some stuff then mix it all in and go.

It's not a recipe per se, but I've had good luck just putting in a bunch of cut veggies in with some sausages or meatballs, add a couple of cups of water or stock to it, and for spices a bay leaf and some ground pepper. Then I cook on High Pressure for 5-10 mins, depending on if the meat is thawed or not. Let NPR for 15-20 mins when done, release the rest of the pressure manually, and ladle over some cooked rice.

I haven't tried the saute function when it comes to veggies.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Kudaros posted:

You can always just make a basic veggie stock and freeze it for use later. Sauté your aromatics and then throw everything else in with water and cook it for an hour. If you get gas from broccoli and similar veggies then try to avoid putting them in your stock, unless you want to be able to peel the paint off your walls with your rear end.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I'm trying to make the chili I posted earlier in my instant pot, but the float valve isn't going up and it's not really becoming pressurized. Any advice? Should I just try "pressure Cook" instead of the meat / stew setting? I'm fairly sure I have the sealing ring in there properly. I ran it for 25 minutes anyways and the meat definitely isn't fully cooked.

Well, I took out the sealing ring and cleaned off the few drops of water that were there, then put it back in, and then after firmly pushing down on the lid it finally sealed. I guess I gotta keep this thing more spotless than I thought!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Well, I took out the sealing ring and cleaned off the few drops of water that were there, then put it back in, and then after firmly pushing down on the lid it finally sealed. I guess I gotta keep this thing more spotless than I thought!

This doesn’t sound right to me, I never have to push on the lid to get it to seal. You may have a faulty unit.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Arcsech posted:

This doesn’t sound right to me, I never have to push on the lid to get it to seal. You may have a faulty unit.

Huh, I'll try cooking a few other things in it and see. When I first hooked it up I just put some water in to get a feel for it, and it worked just fine. This has been the first time I've actually used it for cooking.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mine failed to seal a couple times when I first got it but it's been fine since. Make sure you always have at least a cup of water in there. The Instant Pot generally needs more liquid to function than a stovetop pressure cooker.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The very first time I used mine it was really difficult to get the silicone to fit around the metal rail - it was just a tiny bit too long and would bunch up when trying to seal the final 1-2 inches. I guess it shrank slightly after heating, though, because it was only an issue for the first couple uses.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

After making rice a few times I went shopping and made this Lentil Spinach Dal, and fffffffffuck this is awesome.

After the pressure cooking I thought the lentils and everything had a bit too much water, but then I whisked it up and it turned smooth and perfect.

Gonna make some veggie stock today, then probably tomorrow make a big batch of congee that doesn't take a long time :getin:

Edit: pressure cooker oatmeal is dope too, just gotta find a big enough bowl to do multiple servings.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 31, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This is a cooker which can use pressure:

It's pretty impressive, not gonna lie.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Does anyone have any opinions between the LUX, DUO or SMART?

I know I won't be making Yogurt with it (so I guess LUX is out, leaving DUO and SMART) but that SMART option really appeals to me... but I don't know if it appeals to me to the point of raising the price from $150 to $240. Thoughts?

vvv: Just me, so I'm going for the Mini. I weigh 150 pounds wet but it's the features above I'm curious. Mainly if the bluetooth app is worth using / learning.

Malek fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 1, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Malek posted:

Does anyone have any opinions between the LUX, DUO or SMART?

I know I won't be making Yogurt with it (so I guess LUX is out, leaving DUO and SMART) but that SMART option really appeals to me... but I don't know if it appeals to me to the point of raising the price from $150 to $240. Thoughts?

Get the 8qt.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Be aware that Amazon is apparently out of stock for a lot of instant pot models so prices are inflated. I've seen the 3qt model to for $50,but Amazon is showing it at over $100 at the moment.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Be aware that Amazon is apparently out of stock for a lot of instant pot models so prices are inflated. I've seen the 3qt model to for $50,but Amazon is showing it at over $100 at the moment.

Ahhh good point. Okay so I'll just wait... still wondering which model to get. :/

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The app just looks like a bunch of set recipe times. I wouldn't bother with it unless it was the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Bluetooth is useless on a cooking device.