Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've never seen Suspiria before Synapse's Blu-ray, but this has to be one of the best restorations I've seen (and heard) on Blu-ray. Not a single speck, scratch, splice shadow, etc. Color jumps off the image like a 50s Technicolor film. There's only the thinnest layer of grain over the image. What's more astounding is that there's zero compression artifacts. The 4.0 English track (which is 96Khz) sounds like it was recorded only recently and has separation like some 50s 4-track mix. Video bitrate seems to stay up in the 32-35mbs range and the English track is 4mbs.

But you can see stuff like the faintest vapor coming from mouths in the cold or wood grain.

Apparently, a lot of people were pissed off Synapse took so long to release this, but they reached a level of perfection I've rarely seen in anything other than some brand new movies. Even then, most new movies aren't as perfectly encoded or mastered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just put an order in with Diabolik for it. It's more money than I'd usually ever spend on a single film, but I love the film and thought the old Blu looked/sounded good, so I can't wait to see what I was originally missing out on.

I still don't love the steelbook art, but the O card is really nice at least. Do the rears get much action? I've only got a 2.0 setup at the moment, maybe I should put it off until I work out what I'm going to do for surround stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The Fate of the Furious has a spine that doesn't in any way fit in with the others. Perfect metaphor for what's probably the second-weakest film in the series.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
The 4K version of Terminator 2 is pretty disappointing. The image quality varies wildly from shot to shot. Sometimes it looks fantastic, and some shots are blurry to the point of looking like a DVD without the artifacting. The new color grading is fine for the most part, they got rid of the overly blue-ish hue to a lot of scenes, but it does seem a bit washed out at times. Also it supposedly had a DTS:X audio track but I only see DTS-HD in the menu (not that my system can take advantage of it anyway). The 4K disc only has the theatrical version, and it even has a loving note at the beginning about "this 3D version" that they didn't bother to remove since it's not in 3D.

I'd say don't waste your money.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 29, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ronin flix and another company (scorpion I think) are releasing a remaster of the Church.

If you dig Italian flicks dealing with religious themes I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorite Italian films of all time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Monday_ posted:

The 4K version of Terminator 2 is pretty disappointing. The image quality varies wildly from shot to shot. Sometimes it looks fantastic, and some shots are blurry to the point of looking like a DVD without the artifacting. The new color grading is fine for the most part, they got rid of the overly blue-ish hue to a lot of scenes, but it does seem a bit washed out at times. Also it supposedly had a DTS:X audio track but I only see DTS-HD in the menu (not that my system can take advantage of it anyway). The 4K disc only has the theatrical version, and it even has a loving note at the beginning about "this 3D version" that they didn't bother to remove since it's not in 3D.

Robert Harris (restoration guru) reviewed it on Home Theater Forum and compared it to the original Patton Blu-ray.

Something got screwed up somewhere. A lot of people are blaming James Cameron, except the Blu-rays for Aliens, The Terminator (remastered), and Titanic are all reference quality... and were handled by the same firm (Reliance Mediaworks) under his supervision.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Monday_ posted:

What a bummer.

I got a Samsung UHD player for Christmas and so far I've watched Labyrinth and Deadpool. Both are pretty stunning.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Monday_ posted:

Aren’t soft shots expected for Super 35? That format throws away a substantial portion of the negative.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched T2 4K and partway through decided to check what Hidef Digest and blu-ray.com said as I just had a feeling they would be pretty pissy. I agree the picture looks great at times, but they probably went too far with the DNR - the image is so clean it feels artificial without any whatsoever. But at the same time it doesn’t look waxy to me, and there is still a ton of detail. Definitely issues with some shots too, but I wasn’t really distracted to be honest.

The 3D tag at the beginning made me laugh too. For $16 or whatever I’m glad I picked it up, I owned so many VHS and DVD versions but none on BD so the UHD was a must for me, and I super enjoyed watching it through again for the first time in about 15 years.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 3D version of the film was cool, wish it’d come out

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Aren’t soft shots expected for Super 35? That format throws away a substantial portion of the negative.

Films shot in Super-35 should have comparable apparent resolution like standard 1.85:1 35mm film, especially in digital if from a scan of the negative.

The Fifth Element's 4K remaster is pretty much what Terminator 2 should have looked like in terms of resolution and grain.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fifth-Element-Blu-ray/138634/#Review

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
And if you want to see what Techniscope (2 perf 2.40 spherical) can look like now, watch Tomas Alfredson's adaptation of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy". The combination of modern film scanners, the DI, and modern day film stocks make everything look amazing since nothing goes through an optical stage.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

VoodooXT posted:

And if you want to see what Techniscope (2 perf 2.40 spherical) can look like now, watch Tomas Alfredson's adaptation of "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy". The combination of modern film scanners, the DI, and modern day film stocks make everything look amazing since nothing goes through an optical stage.

It was also an ace film.

There are now three operating Blockbuster stores within my city limits-ish, and one had a closing down sale so I managed to grab these for $2.50 (Australian, so like $2US) each. Lotta crap that I'd never consider picking up like Red Dog and Sausage Party; or something like Life which I saw and thought was OK but wasn't ever planning on having a copy of my own but for the price of a can of Coke I figure it's worth it. Now I just gotta sit there with eucalyptus oil and paper towels getting all the stickers off the disc and sleeves.

e: peek the rest of the collection spilling out of the shelves in the background and also my already copious to-watch pile sitting underneath the airconditioning unit

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I see more good than bad in that stack

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Man, I miss those final death throws of Hollwood Video. You'd give them $20, they'd give you a garbage bag.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
There's also occasionally some real nice fare in there - when I moved into this apartment the Blockbuster around the corner was closing up shop that weekend so I ended up diving into there too. Got a bunch of Olivier Shakespeare on blu that I didn't even know had releases and some other obscure stuff.

One thing I constantly miss about visiting the US is the sheer amount of second hand book/general media stores. Here it's a charity store dotted around that don't generally take DVDs or books because of the volume of poo poo they'd receive otherwise (although there is one cystic fibrosis foundation that has a killer warehouse second-hand bookstore like four blocks away from me) or pawn shops that aren't terrible price wise, but there's like 50 copies of the Pirates of the Carribean movies and some other occasional bullshit. The amount of second hand bookstores that I visited in LA alone would have probably been the same amount of shops along the entire east coast of Australia.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My area of Houston has gently caress all for good finds, but I usually come back from Austin shops with 10 or so great finds.

Speaking of, if you’re near a Fry’s Electronics you may want to check them out. They’ve started to clearance a lot of Arrow Video releases at $13-18 each. Picked up a bunch of giallo and their The Hills Have Eyes release.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some definite choice picks in that pile, like Attack the Block, Spotlight, Philomena, VVitch etc which mostly fall into my “Great movies I probably wouldn’t watch again unless with someone whose not seen it, but for $2 definitely deserve a place on my shelf”. Good job.

I’d pay $2 for Sausage Party just to find an entertaining way of destroying it and taking it out of the food chain.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I liked Sausage Party

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sausage Party is the only reason that BvS wasn't the movie I hated most in 2016.

Wasn't blown away by the T2 UHD, but O never had it in BR so it's stil a pretty decent upgrade over the DVD.

Dunkirk looks really great in UHD.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I still treasure my T2 Ultimate Edition DVD

Edit: T2, not TWO

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 30, 2017

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’d pay $2 for Sausage Party just to find an entertaining way of destroying it and taking it out of the food chain.

There were about fifteen copies on blu ray alone, compared to about one or two of everything else which says volumes about the piece of poo poo

But it was two bucks sooooo

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

TheScott2K posted:

I still treasure my TWO Ultimate Edition DVD

Ultimate Edition was amazing, then the Extreme Edition a few years later was even better.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Monday_ posted:

Ultimate Edition was amazing, then the Extreme Edition a few years later was even better.
I still have that version :coolspot:

I’m actually a little bit afraid of getting a BR version because I’ve heard that the CG becomes super noticeable. Similarly, I read in this thread that the 4K Fury Road release looks worse than the normal BR because you can clearly see the seams around the CG touch ups?

I’m pretty sure I’ll get one of those LG OLEDs in 2018 but I’m torn about UHD Blu-rays. The resolution doesn’t seem like it would be a very noticeable upgrade other than for stuff like Lawrence of Arabia/2001: A Space Odyssey/Baraka. High dynamic range, on the other hand... Are all UHD releases HDR?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

No. Most of them are but they show a hdr label on the front of they are.

If you wait for uhd movies on sale, it's not exactly more expensive than Blu Ray.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

david_a posted:

I still have that version :coolspot:

I’m actually a little bit afraid of getting a BR version because I’ve heard that the CG becomes super noticeable.

I don't think it's that bad. I have the last BR, and it looks really good.

I think a major part of the cgi stuff is that a lot of it just doesn't age very well, so it stands out because it just doesn't impress any more. But T2 doesn't use cgi to turn people into weightless rag dolls, so it holds up okay.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sony seems to use HDR on a lot of titles without much fanfare. I'd expect Lawrence of Arabia to have it since The Bridge on the River Kwai does. 2001 should have it if just because WB includes on pretty much every UHD, even the Peanuts specials.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Anybody want a War for the Planet of the Apes download code?

UK, free to anyone. Don't want to post it openly.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Vinegar Syndrome’s restoration of Liquid Sky is amazing. I never saw the film before, but it’s one of my favorites from the last year. The making-of uses the existing 4x3 transfer that’s all muddy instead of being vibrant just to show how great the new 4K looks. Great extras, too. The making of was even made by the director.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I super regret not picking up Liquid Sky now. I know I can pick up a reissue later without the slip cover, but that day glo....

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Liar Lyre posted:

I super regret not picking up Liquid Sky now. I know I can pick up a reissue later without the slip cover, but that day glo....

I have an extra copy if you're interested. Vinegar Syndrome sent me two by mistake.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Suspiria came yesterday, and loving that slip over the steel case. Also super happy they kind of settle the 'which language?' conundrum of Italian horror where nothing is really considered the 'right' audio track, in that they talk about the loving restoration of the English 4 channel audio over 3 pages, and then say 'Oh yeah there's the Italian dub too but we don't know much about that' at the end.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My Suspiria came yesterday, and loving that slip over the steel case. Also super happy they kind of settle the 'which language?' conundrum of Italian horror where nothing is really considered the 'right' audio track, in that they talk about the loving restoration of the English 4 channel audio over 3 pages, and then say 'Oh yeah there's the Italian dub too but we don't know much about that' at the end.

This issue threw me out when I watched BLOOD AND BLACK LACE. I assumed the original language would be the right one so watched that with English subtitles, but sometimes the subtitles reference things that aren't happening. But then with a Giallo confusion is key I guess.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cloks posted:

I have an extra copy if you're interested. Vinegar Syndrome sent me two by mistake.

Very. I don’t have PMs, so if you can send me an email (wjobkar@gmail.com) we can work something out. Thanks!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Some of Herzog's films have similarly odd dubbing situations. Like Fitzcarraldo, where I'm pretty sure the story is that they filmed it in English, but Herzog still claims that the German dubbed version is truer to his vision because he originally wrote the screenplay in German, so the English lines lose something in translation. Or so he claims.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DrVenkman posted:

This issue threw me out when I watched BLOOD AND BLACK LACE. I assumed the original language would be the right one so watched that with English subtitles, but sometimes the subtitles reference things that aren't happening. But then with a Giallo confusion is key I guess.

Exactly. And a lot of the time there isn’t really an original language as both Italian and English tracks are dubbed. I believe in most films they’re speaking English on set though. Then there’s films like Phenomena that have missing elements, so jumps to Italian for a few scenes.

I quite like Italian versions as it adds an extra layer of separation to things like Gaillos. I think I’ve only seen Suspiria in English before though, and will stick to that. I can’t wait to see it in all its glory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Exactly. And a lot of the time there isn’t really an original language as both Italian and English tracks are dubbed. I believe in most films they’re speaking English on set though. Then there’s films like Phenomena that have missing elements, so jumps to Italian for a few scenes.

I quite like Italian versions as it adds an extra layer of separation to things like Gaillos. I think I’ve only seen Suspiria in English before though, and will stick to that. I can’t wait to see it in all its glory.

The problem in a lot of cases is that they have international casts, which is great, I wouldn't want to give that up because then you have stuff like John Saxon popping up in Tenebrae or Christopher George in City of the Living Dead. But what they did was just film the scenes with each cast member just speaking in their native language, and so the end result is that there's no one single cut where everyone's lips are all going to synch up to a single language, because they weren't all speaking the same language on set.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, it definitely makes for interesting filming.

Man I love Tenebrae, after Suspiria it’s my favorite Argento. And anything with Daria Nicolodi.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you haven't, make sure you check out the uncut version of Deep Red if you're a Daria Nicolodi fan. It's like 20 minutes of extra footage but almost all of the stuff that was cut features her, I guess Argento wanted to cut down the romantic comedy angle for international audiences? I dunno but I think the uncut version is superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m pretty sure that’s the version I saw as I recall there being one of his films that had major cuts. I didn’t like Deep Red quite as much as some of the others, but it’s definitely enjoyable. I bought a box set of the soundtrack and some other stuff based on the provision Claudio Simonetti of Goblin signed it when I saw them, that was awesome.

• Locked thread