Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Breadallelogram posted:

what if deep state

Deep Snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

State!
State!?!
Staaaaaaaaaaaaate!!!!!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Deep Slate Cultural Gabfest

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They have many more guests, but used an image of the same unidentified guy on the left and right as though there's only one more.

e: Never mind, apparently those are Milk N Cooks. Not sure which is which.

They look like early model T-800s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sexpig by night posted:

yea they nailed it when they said the real issue was between these lists she talks about how there's hidden costs in not letting poors die horribly to save a couple bucks. Most of her list was fine, but hearing how much the lady who literally said 'uuuuh sure fire prevention would have absolutely saved lives, but what if they just got into a car crash later????' loves ~kitchen gadgets~ is rage inducing for me too and I'm a big nerdy cook who also loves gadgets.
It's not complicated: McArdle has the time and money to collect and use thousands of dollars in kitchen gadgets because she makes six figures to poo poo out occasional blog posts for which she does zero research. If she was just a movie reviewer or whatever, it would be one thing, but she is actively an evil piece of poo poo.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Bougie Fuckwad Kitchen Gadgets: sous vide cooker, waffle iron, immersion blender, thermomix

Real-rear end Dumpster Kitchen Gadgets: dehydrator, vacuum sealer, second freezer, lovely hooch rig

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

drat, the production value boy bringing the high class poo poo up in here

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

snucks posted:

Bougie Fuckwad Kitchen Gadgets: sous vide cooker, waffle iron, immersion blender, thermomix

Real-rear end Dumpster Kitchen Gadgets: dehydrator, vacuum sealer, second freezer, lovely hooch rig

how am I gonna make waffles without a waffle iron?!??!?!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Immersion blenders are the poo poo and way easier to clean than regular blenders.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Breadallelogram posted:

what if deep state

was your mum

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

That segment was just further confirmation of his undying love for Megan.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

This is what real mutha fuckin operators call sous-vide.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I also used to badmouth mandolines until I used one and I was like "gently caress, this rules"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

snucks posted:

Immersion blenders fuckin rule and you can get decent ones for cheap as hell

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Immersion blenders fuckin rule and you can get decent ones for cheap as hell

Yeah they’re usually cheaper than a real blender aren’t they?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Grondoth posted:

I also used to badmouth mandolines until I used one and I was like "gently caress, this rules"

Then you chopped off all of your fingers to the knuckle and were like "noooooo"

having a sous vide is nice, but I'm trying real hard to cut down on dumb kitchen gadget bullshit.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

How do you poo poo IN an immersion blender??

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Matt doesn't know what an immersion blender is and every time these people talk about food I get kind of embarrassed for them.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
their criticisms for mcardle through the appliance listing reeks more of misogyny than anything else.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

papa horny michael posted:

their criticisms for mcardle through the appliance listing reeks more of misogyny than anything else.

Nah

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

papa horny michael posted:

That sort of bobo fetish for kitchen appliances and making cooking expensive and terrible is absolutely worth constant mockery regardless of which gender is expressing it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Plus they make equal fun of her gamer husband who's WoW raiding while she's reading the vitamix manual.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

That sort of bobo fetish for kitchen appliances and making cooking expensive and terrible is absolutely worth constant mockery regardless of which gender is expressing it.

Especially when you’re writing 14,000 words about it without anyone paying you

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
the majority of items they mocked are the cheaper versions of items used for baking. they just sounded like children. about as bad as luis j gomez finding out who Cornell west is, and disliking him for not being an entrepreneur.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The language surrounding kitchen gadget reviews is always this breathless astonishment about how it's going to fundamentally change the way you make food.

I felt the segment was kind of weak and that her recommendations weren't abhorrent, but the real highlight was the dichotomy between her farting out 1000 words about how easy the homeless have it versus how the vitamix is the end all be all of kitchen blenders.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
hoping an episode in the new year revolves around Amber introducing their apologies

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
When did "milkshake blenders" turn into "immersion blenders"?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

when someone made them handheld?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

when they became common and easily handheld.

Also again the point of the mockery isn't "UGH KITCHEN STUFF" it's 'you've spent YEARS going from explaining how the poor shouldn't be given basic support because there's a terrible ROI on it to breathlessly explaining how people NEED a device to make perfect custards and it's never once occurred you're a lovely person?'

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sexpig by night posted:

when they became common and easily handheld.

Also again the point of the mockery isn't "UGH KITCHEN STUFF" it's 'you've spent YEARS going from explaining how the poor shouldn't be given basic support because there's a terrible ROI on it to breathlessly explaining how people NEED a device to make perfect custards and it's never once occurred you're a lovely person?'

How often do people make "custards", anyway?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They should have pulled some choice quotes from her other articles to contrast instead of being utterly befuddled that you have to buy quality products if you want them to last. Putting it after the insane Segal material didn't help. It just fell flat as a segment.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

prefect posted:

How often do people make "custards", anyway?

lol, the thing she uses just for custards costs like $1500.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, that thing and the souse vide get into serious gimmick territory.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Phone posted:

the vitamix is the end all be all of kitchen blenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uklQOwygUiE

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

lol, the thing she uses just for custards costs like $1500.

hmm, doesn't seem like they should make fun of a woman for this, i'm smart

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I have a blender solely for mayo-nase and dips and poo poo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Phone posted:

I felt the segment was kind of weak and that her recommendations weren't abhorrent, but the real highlight was the dichotomy between her farting out 1000 words about how easy the homeless have it versus how the vitamix is the end all be all of kitchen blenders.

Her suggestions that are good are also ones that anyone could make, much less someone who probably owns six figures in kitchen gadgets. Like, the utensils at Target are pretty good. Did you know that no no-stick coating lasts forever? An immersion blender is handy. I am by no means a great cook, and I don't have a great attention span, and these are all things I learned from my mother in spite of myself.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

hmm, doesn't seem like they should make fun of a woman for this, i'm smart

i mean maybe if she'd said something like that poor people dying in housing fires because they live in a literal fire trap is the same as driving slightly over the speed limit, but who would say something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Let them eat well iced cake.