Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

So wait, was this book actually written by Milo himself, or was it the product of his clown car of unpaid ghostwriters? Like, isn't Actual Milo prose demonstrably shittier than Fake Intern Milo prose? Has anyone tried to do an analysis using his old pre-fame stuff as a baseline to see which bits of his works were actually him and which were some desperate college kid's?

I'm led to believe that this was indeed written by Milo himself because, as you said, the real Milo seems to have shittier writing capabilities than his ghostwriters. I come to this conclusion based on his ghostwritten articles on Breitbart, which, while still awful, seem to have some understanding of structure.

edit: actually I'm sorta surprised he's such a lovely writer. Didn't he go to Cambridge (before dropping/getting kicked out)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it has to be his work, i can't believe of any ghostwriter who would write this badly unless milo paid the cheapest dude he could find

Mr Interweb posted:

edit: actually I'm sorta surprised he's such a lovely writer. Didn't he go to Cambridge (before dropping/getting kicked out)?

its a combination of last minute desperation, hubris, and being unable to form a persuasive thought that isn't just bitter ad homs

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Milo can't communicate clearly because propagandists have to write incoherently because it's harder to argue with. It's why ads avoid using complete sentences, and intentionally or not, it's one reason why Trump's speeches persuaded people in spite of being total nonsense on a structural level. Good writing, like good science, is a leftist plot to control the minds of Americans.

But this is the right wing media thread, so I guess I'm just stating the obvious.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
It seems like he wrote it himself by cut/pasting stupid poo poo other ghostwriters have written for him before.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish this would at least dispel the idea that Milo is some intellectual, when clearly all this book has shown is that he's trying to be a entertainer by the virtue of trolling. There's no critical thought behind this, especially if some of his chapters were just repeating some phrase over and over.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
he wrote it the same way he learned about gaming: by asking reddit

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Right Wing Media: DELETE UGH

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tip Shades posted:

I just don't get it. What did they think they would get from Milo?

It's like they imagined giving him a book deal would inspire him to start providing well-researched points and counterarguments instead of just saying dumb internet poo poo to piss people off. Was everyone in on the plan except the editor?

Apparently the editor in question is a nutter Republican who wanted to promote this new wave reactionism, but not so nutter so as to go against his profession.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

Apparently the editor in question is a nutter Republican who wanted to promote this new wave reactionism, but not so nutter so as to go against his profession.

Yeah, half the edit notes in the document are basically "This is a really good point, but maybe try explaining it better." He was 100% on Milo's side going into it, and Milo ground him down to despising him after 260 pages of purestrain insufferable smug and stupidity.

My favorite note so far is on Page 59 and it's the perfect encapsulation of just how intellectually lazy Milo is as a writer. He quotes a line said by Prince Hal to Falstaff and then says basically "I'm glad I studied Shakespeare in high school because it gave me all these wonderful insults I can hurl at people like this one from All's Well That Ends Well because it's not going to end well for Twitter."

And his editor comes back at him and basically says "It's from Henry IV, Part 1, you moron."

The complete works of William Shakespeare are online in the public domain in the most easily searchable format possible. I found the play title, act, scene and line numbers of the quote in question in THREE SECONDS by plugging the first four words of the quote into Google. Any given high school student who has passed through the US education system since the turn of the millennium is trained how to do this on the first day of their English class's first Shakespeare lesson.

Milo Yiannopoulos is an idiot.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 29, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Perhaps my favourite part about all this is that it's been repeatedly shown that, once you've made a name for yourself in the scene, making GBS threads out a bunch of right-wing platitudes and successfully selling them as a book is just about the easiest thing in the world. And Milo can't even manage that. He has proven himself to be objectively dumber and less capable than the likes of Todd Starnes and Mike Huckabee. :allears:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Perestroika posted:

Perhaps my favourite part about all this is that it's been repeatedly shown that, once you've made a name for yourself in the scene, making GBS threads out a bunch of right-wing platitudes and successfully selling them as a book is just about the easiest thing in the world. And Milo can't even manage that. He has proven himself to be objectively dumber and less capable than the likes of Todd Starnes and Mike Huckabee. :allears:

It's important to remember that his entire thing for almost the entirety of his career was that he was the official token gay guy of the far right wing and a troll that constantly orchestrated horrible poo poo against both people and organizations that had no good possible solution for the victim. In the case of the former a lot of the talking heads in the alt-right scene gestured at him and said "See, we have one of those gays too! We can't be bigots! You're the bigot!" (I actually saw this logic in person once. :argh:) and in the case of the latter he was useful because his antics were basically one of the spring points for Breitbart and company making up scandals against higher education and several other things they despise.

When his dirty laundry came out they kicked him to the curb faster then he even had a chance to really recoup and rally some sort of orchestrated defense. Contrast that to old white bigots/religious lunatics like Roy Moore. Who some people on the right are still suggesting did nothing wrong.

He never had any real talent, is what i'm saying. His entire worth was in them using him as a shield for their own horrible beliefs and occasionally in giving the more "respectable" voices in the movement fake poo poo to rile the base up. This really shouldn't be surprising at all, given that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 29, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Milo also had some worth as someone that could mobilize young people to be bigoted which would tradition them into the Republican party. I think when they dumped him they realized he wasn't doing anything someone like Pewdiepie couldn't and as his book he is showing is clearly not talented so he wasn't worth the baggage.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If Republicans had kids who were GamerGate types I'd think they'd absolutely hate them. How could anyone want the future of their movement to be composed of people like that even if they thought it was a promising demographic numbers-wise?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
For the same reason they all fell in line and voted for Donnie.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Republicans have been coasting on the idea that they are serious intellectuals in regards to economics despite riding on the racist southern strategy for victory because out political media is beyond useless. I have yet to meet a Republican moaning about taxes that could actual explain how progressive tax rates work so frankly the Gamer Gaters aren't any more ridiculous than their parents.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Zwabu posted:

If Republicans had kids who were GamerGate types I'd think they'd absolutely hate them. How could anyone want the future of their movement to be composed of people like that even if they thought it was a promising demographic numbers-wise?

Will help pass legislation that fucks over underprivileged groups? Love them!

Being a complete poo poo goblin is no bar to admittance to the Republican tribe and is probably helpful (experienced an overflow error while trying to list examples).

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

eNeMeE posted:

Will help pass legislation that fucks over underprivileged groups? Love them!

Being a complete poo poo goblin is no bar to admittance to the Republican tribe and is probably helpful (experienced an overflow error while trying to list examples).

Yeah. The groups that are hated may shift or expand over time, but as long as there is SOMEONE out there lesser than them that can be shat upon...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

seiferguy posted:

I wish this would at least dispel the idea that Milo is some intellectual, when clearly all this book has shown is that he's trying to be a entertainer by the virtue of trolling. There's no critical thought behind this, especially if some of his chapters were just repeating some phrase over and over.

wait, people thought he was an intellectual?

i thought his whole deal was the laziest possible trolling while doing auntie nelda cosplay

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr Interweb posted:

You know how spoiled rich brats in the US go to an ivy league school, half rear end everything, and squeeze by with the obligatory degree on the "gentleman's C"?

Milo did the British equivalent with the particular Cambridge division he went to for an English degree, only he spent so much time slacking off and partying that he actually managed to get "sent down" aka expelled for poor performance. He'd have otherwise squeaked through with a degree awarded with the lowest honors, if he'd just done a bit of work.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

fishmech posted:

You know how spoiled rich brats in the US go to an ivy league school, half rear end everything, and squeeze by with the obligatory degree on the "gentleman's C"?

Milo did the British equivalent with the particular Cambridge division he went to for an English degree, only he spent so much time slacking off and partying that he actually managed to get "sent down" aka expelled for poor performance. He'd have otherwise squeaked through with a degree awarded with the lowest honors, if he'd just done a bit of work.

Yup.

wikipedia posted:

After being expelled from Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys, he studied at the University of Manchester and Wolfson College, Cambridge but failed to gain a degree from either.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

He tweeted this in 2017?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
17? Isn't that the age of his gf one year ago?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

this, but the exact opposite

name one thing on obama they dug up all on their own. beyond that how anyone can claim the gop does any oppo after the 2016 primaries is just laughable. they don't, because as was mentioned on the last page:

Sure. I guess a quote from a previous page saying that the GOP doesn't dig dirt makes it true, and also they've just been getting their dirt from Hillary for, I don't know, 40 years or so?

Let's pretend I agree with you. So what? This started with a claim that Obama was treated tamely because of his race, which is nonsense. Who gave the GOP the dirt doesn't matter.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cross-posting from the right-wing self-own thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cernovic...agenumber%3D813

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr Interweb posted:

Predicting a "glorious return" in 5...4...3...2...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Predicting a "glorious return" in 5...4...3...2...

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/946979695026880513

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's a six year old running away from home. Amazing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Dude literally couldn't even wait half a day. :lol:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mr Interweb posted:

what does it say? thats a v. blurry picture, and I'm on my phone.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

:cawg:

Okay, I wasn't expecting it to be that fast. Maybe a week or two, but seriously?

I haven't seen a more pathetic attempt to return to glory ever since goons drove Buzz Cut Psycho away from Planetside 2, and at least BCP tried.

Edit: the replies are glorious.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I haven't seen a more pathetic attempt to return to glory ever since goons drove Buzz Cut Psycho away from Planetside 2, and at least BCP tried.

Edit: the replies are glorious.

who? what? I played planetside 2 for about 5 minutes after it released and it turned out my computer couldn't run it well

please tell, seriously, because I can abide lovely computers but not missing out on interesting drama

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

who? what? I played planetside 2 for about 5 minutes after it released and it turned out my computer couldn't run it well

please tell, seriously, because I can abide lovely computers but not missing out on interesting drama

So you touched the game to know the factions basically boiled down to Fascists (Terran Republic, Red and Black), Libertarians (New Conglomerate, Blue and Yellow with cargo pants and tank-sized shotguns), and "Other" (Vanu, Purple and Green Spandex and weird gimmicks).

Buzz Cut Psycho, or BCP, was a big streamer who was drawn to the Space Reich and made his own clan there called the Enclave because the only way the faction personality could have made him happier was if they had white pointed hoods for hats. The guy basically ran his outfit as his own cult of personality as he streamed, micromanaging everything down to class/vehicle loadouts. And for a while it worked: he would bring entire platoons (in-game grouping of 48 players, 4 12-man squads) to fights that no one could beat. They were a hammer to beat every problem as if they were nails which works when you're going 2, 3 or even 4:1 against uncoordinated pubbies who don't use voice coms. It doesn't work so well against goons who have a near parity in numbers, as much discipline, but also the freedom to play the game their way and develop tactical and strategic flexibility rather than having to have to wait for Glorious Leader to give you your marching orders on how to wipe your rear end. The thing that drove him utterly mad? He took the game super seriously, the goons who stood up to him not so much

Tired of not being able to get his way 110% of the time, and the complaints about his racism/homophobia becoming loud enough that SOE was no longer signal boosting him (at launch he was basically free advertising for SOE) he quit, went on to other games (he had a Battlefield 3 server where he would just sit around in a tank with a legion of engineers always repairing him as he played tank-sniper). To be fair to him, unlike Gorilla Boy he actually quit until he got the PS2 itch again. He walked in, took his place at the head of the Enclave and they all celebrated. A couple weeks later they told him to pound sand because they had figured out what it was like to have fun without him and had figured out fun without him demanding they shove their tongue up his rear end and realized that nostolgia wasn't all it was cracked up to be he suddenly quit without ceremony declaring PS2 to be a bad game and not fun.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 30, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Muppets On PCP posted:

wait, people thought he was an intellectual?

i thought his whole deal was the laziest possible trolling while doing auntie nelda cosplay

I remember back in the day when I used to browse Imgur's front page daily, an occasional Milo post would come up (usually one about feminism being cancer) and people in the comments would slobber about how smart he was. The reason he got such a following is that a bunch of young white males think he's smart.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think the reason why James Woods is an rear end in a top hat is because someone inserted a videotape into his stomach telling him to be an rear end in a top hat, and they neglected to take it out.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Dude literally couldn't even wait half a day. :lol:

he never intended to quit, this is just him chipping a hole in the bottom of the barrel as part of his pathological need for attention

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Let's pretend I agree with you. So what? This started with a claim that Obama was treated tamely because of his race, which is nonsense. Who gave the GOP the dirt doesn't matter.

Yeah, this is the real point. The worst thing the American left can do is spend the next three years refighting the last intra-party war, whether it's Clinton v. Obama or Clinton v. Sanders or Ellison v. Perez or any of the other proxies for arguing about who is the best progressive. Move on.

Mr Interweb posted:

There's a separate thread specifically for self-owns? Please share.

(Though no self-own will ever top the guy who tried to insult gay people and accidentally said he wanted to gently caress his mom.)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao this is just as much of a 'win' because I will never get tired of mike thernovith self-owning over and over and over. can't even stay off the twitters for a whole day in protest. Amazing

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, there's a thread for that? Where?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solitair posted:

Wait, there's a thread for that? Where?

GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Either way, your claim is that the anti-Obama stuff was tame compared to the anti-Clinton stuff. My claim is, nah. We can go endlessly back and forth about who had it worse, and, whatever, chalk it up to a difference of perspective, but I don't think your core claim that Obama's race made the opposition go easy on him holds up.

You really could've gone with just this, because Jesus Christ if someone actually believes that last bit. :psyduck: